Microsoft

Microsoft Employer Reviews

Can be amazing experience if the work group, manager, and business cycle align.
Project Manager (Former Employee), SeattleAugust 2, 2014
Microsoft has an overall culture that is very driven. When that drive is toward a cool goal that is also customer-oriented, the Microsoft experience borders on magical.

When the goal and/or management are more about getting market share for the sake of market share or revenue--with little to no consideration of the customer's benefit--working at Microsoft – more... (any company) can be a drag.

Therefore, if/when interviewing, be sure to see where the group and management are in terms of their business priorities, goals, and measures of success. Your aim would be to make sure you and MS are in alignment. – less
Microsoft great for gaining new skills
Senior Partner Channel Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WAAugust 1, 2014
Pros: campus, benefits, compensation.
Cons: old boys network, culture varies dramatically from org to org
as with most HUGE companies, the culture is set by the individual department/organization you work in. So it varies widely. I would stay aware from World Wide Pricing and Licensing (WWLP), any of the product organizations would be challenging and fast paced and you would gain great transferable skills.
Great large company
Product Unit Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good pay, benefits, free soft drinks
Cons: review system was a bit skewed (as has been widely discussed)
I was treated fairly at all times, compensation was excellent, and I really respect the fact that they would match charity giving.

They did seem to suffer a bit from a culture where folks were promoted who were good managers but not leaders and then they in turn tended to promote like kind.

I enjoyed the name recognition, was a bit jealous of Apple – more... and Google and other companies that seemed more nimble, and dreaded the visits to relatives who put me to work cleaning viruses from their systems. – less
Site Manager | Customer Advocate
Senior Website Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 29, 2014
Passionate about creating customer-friendly web experiences. Experienced at leading multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver large and complex web projects. Organized and skilled at cross-team collaboration.
Innovative and strategic place to work
Senior Operations Program Manager/Architect (Former Employee), Redmond, WA.July 29, 2014
Pros: free drinks, and other perks
Cons: some bad managers
Pro: Work with the latest technologies
Con: some bad managers who take it to personal when your right to express is exercised.
Pro: Advancement opportunity
Pro: Great bonuses for great work. They really compensate your performance very well!
An unprofessional organization with people fighting in the halls.
Manager - Senior Manager Market Research (Former Employee), Redmond, WAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: toxic culture
Literally on my 2nd day on the job two co-workers were having an argument about who through whom under the bus. It evolved into a shouting match. In my first two months I saw more shouting, and complaining and people threatening to tattle tell on another person's boss.

The benefits and pay are nice, but the workplace has a toxic culture.
Great company to consult at. Wonderful people. Good project management processes and procedures with guidelines and examples of deliverables expected.
Consulting Project and Program Manager (Former Employee), Issaquah WAJuly 27, 2014
Professional staff committed to excellence and open to learning from lessons on projects.
Fun place to work
PRODUCT ADVISOR, MICROSOFT (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 26, 2014
Pros: free snacks, great co workers, fun place to work, great health care
Cons: ...
• Demonstrate great customer service
• Meeting given sales metrics for the quarter
• Train consumers on how to use their Windows devices
• Use of problem solving and troubleshooting skills to resolve customer issues (Computers, tablets, cell phones and Xbox)
• Assisting customers w¬¬¬¬ith updates and system issues
• Teaching local Boy/Girl scout troops, – more... home schooled children and summer camps in the St. Louis area on the subjects of photography, cinematography, internet etiquette, entertainment technology and computer history.
• Assist in store visuals, reading Plano grams and setting up the store for new product releases – less
Fun and productive workplace
Xbox Global Escalation Analyst/ UA (Former Employee), Irving, TXJuly 25, 2014
• Keep records of customer interactions or transactions, recording details of inquiries, complaints, or comments, as well as actions taken.
• Resolve customers' service or billing complaints by performing activities such as exchanging merchandise, refunding money, or adjusting bills.
• Recommend improvements in products, packaging, shipping, service, – more... or billing methods and procedures to prevent future problems.
• Analyze retail data to identify current or emerging trends in theft or fraud and researched existing accounts with fraud flags or complaints. – less
Reorgs every 90 days
Principal Program Manager Lead (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAJuly 24, 2014
Pros: people there are great. good bonuses and stock options.
Cons: hasty, indecisive management
There's very little opportunity to grow your career when org changes happen every 90 days and you're reporting to someone else. The health benefits are also not much greater than any other company (and it used to be the best in the nation).
Perfect place to work, live and learning knowledge
Developer & Operation (Contractor) (Current Employee), Redmond, WAJuly 23, 2014
Microsoft locates in Redmond WA which is a very beautiful state. The company culture and people around can not only improve your working ability but making friends.
Employee Happiness. Work+life balance.
Operations Manager (Current Employee), New York, NY Seattle, WAJuly 22, 2014
Overall, I love working for Microsoft- and I'm seeking further opportunities to grow with and to be apart of further developing and building the brand! :)
Productive and Fun Place..
Head - CRM Marketing and Business Intelligence (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAJuly 22, 2014
Nokia has been a fun journey for me that enabled me to work in different parts of the Globe.
Amazing
Senior Escalation Team Manager (Current Employee), Irving, TXJuly 22, 2014
Culture is their number 1 priority and it's shown in the caliber of staff they bring on.
Employee Friendly Company however slow and lazy
Group Business Process Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WA, USAJuly 22, 2014
a good company to work with, employee friendly with relatively good work life balance. However bureaucratic with many layers.
Tremendous Experience
Marketing / Business Manager (Former Employee), Fargo, NDJuly 21, 2014
Microsoft is a huge company and carries with it some of the corporate negatives. However, it has great people and a lot of opportunities.

I worked mostly with Great Plains Software employees so I got a mix of both cultures.
Productivity
SDET (Former Employee), SDETJuly 21, 2014
• A technical professional with 5+ years of experience in the areas of Software Automation and Testing.
• Certified in ISTQB.
• Proficient as Module Lead in Software automation and manual testing process with Healthcare and Windows Cloud domains using C# Automation testing.
• Ability to understand the requirements , testing application manually or by – more... writing effective automation scripts, debugging and performing root cause analysis, generating test reports and plans, designing test cases and reviewing.
• Technical proficiency in various software development languages, applications and database like ASP.NET, C#.NET, ADO.NET, SQL server 2008, SharePoint 2013 and other Microsoft technologies
• Working for Client Microsoft Corporation throughout my career. – less
excellent environment to learn and grow
Antenna Design Engineer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2014
i loved to work here.
good line manager.
top management is ok
Always surprises!
Product Adviser (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJuly 19, 2014
Pros: first to know information on jobs
Cons: short breaks
I enjoyed working for Microsoft, mostly because I love technology and the effects such devices have upon the human mind and body.
As a recent graduate from SUNY Purchase, I majored in Media, Society and the Arts. I was intrigued by the ways of which type writers, keyboards, Operating Systems (OS) and the overall engineering and software play a role – more... with assisting or harming how human socialize, communicate and function.

Working at Microsoft I was able to learn how such devices worked and how each item has evolved to benefit their customers needs. I spent majority of my time on the sales floor selling laptops and tablets. When I was not selling I was training Microsoft customers with their new or pre-existing devices.

There was not any hard days or components while I was employed at Microsoft. If anything the job was engaging and promising.

I have learned by enhancing my interpersonal skills. Training and working with customers meant I must cater to their needs. The customers we had ranged from the tech savvy to those that were intimidated by the flexibility and advancement of the device. – less
Ok
Software Developer in Test II (Former Employee), Redmond, WAJuly 18, 2014
Ok company to work for with great benefits and ok Advancement.Best part for me of the job is the people i worked with. The hardest part of the job is working with the management.

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation India Private Limited is a subsidiary of US software giant Microsoft Corporation headquartered in New Delhi. – Read more