Microsoft

Microsoft Employer Reviews

Flexible work environment
CRM Consultant (Former Employee), Hyderabad, APJune 2, 2014
One of the best places to work for:
1. Learning of technology
2. Flexible job culture
3. Balance in personal and professional life.
4. Compensation is good.
5. Safe place to work for
Smart, capable people, fast pace
Senior Marketing Program Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WAJune 2, 2014
Pros: free soft drinks, free coffee, flexible hours
Cons: little room for advancement, contracts cut without notice
I have loved my time at Microsoft. I enjoyed the flexible hours and high level of trust instilled in employees. Employees are encouraged to "fall forward" go out on a limb and take risks. My coworkers were all highly intelligent proactive people that I respected. That made the biggest difference in my interactions. People acted extremely professionally – more... and did not take things personally or get involved in office politics, that I saw... It should be noted I worked as a contractor (v-dash) – less
Cool tech, challenging politics, and good friends
Operations Program Manager (Current Employee), Irving TexasJune 2, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, cutting-edge tech, professional growth
Cons: political landscape, redmond-centric
I largely worked remotely, and a typical day for me involved a lot of emails, several meetings in the afternoon (all attended virtually via Lync), and the occasional IM. When not wallowing in administrivia, I spent a lot of time thinking about and documenting ways we could do things better, and then working through others to put the changes in place.

Microsoft – more... really matured me as an employee, as I learned to work at a level of professionalism that I had not before. It wasn't enough to be smart; I also had to be articulate and persuasive; I had to be strategic and understand how my work not only solved the problem at hand but set us up for future success.

Generally, I found management to be supportive. They existed to facilitate my work, trusting me to do the right thing, and working to cut down obstacles or provide air cover so that I could deliver my work.

I had some of the best co-workers here that I've had anywhere, and I consider them friends more than co-workers. At a company as large as Microsoft, there is a mix of personalities, and occasionally I'd run into that other employee who rubbed me the wrong way, but I figure that I've probably got my own quirks that bug people, too. Largely, though, I found people to be professional and smart, but also fun and friendly.

For me, there were a few challenges that seem intrinsic to the company. First, I found it to be very political in nature. Recent changes (e.g. One Microsoft) may gradually change that, but there are still people there who have been there 20+ years and known only Microsoft who are likely to slow progress in change. Visibility was key, and every review period required me to express my accomplishments just right to maintain the balance of honesty and sensationalism needed to prove my value. It didn't help that, thanks to the way reviews were scheduled over the year, a review basically covered only 6 months of work, the first three of which passed before I even had set-in-stone commitments for the year.

Second, despite the global nature of its business, it remains Redmond-centric and the best chances of career development, particularly for technical types like me, exist in Redmond. In fact, it was this obstacle that really has led me to look elsewhere for work, as I'm unwilling to move at this time.

All that said, I wouldn't trade my time at Microsoft. I got to work with some of the best technology available, got to work on the cutting edge, and grew professionally. I had great coworkers who made the job fun, even when the work wasn't. – less
Learned great skills and information; Politics and favoritism exist
Team Lead | QA | Licensing Solutions Analyst (Former Employee), Redmond, WAJune 1, 2014
Pros: learned great skills and information
Cons: politics and favoritism, stack ranking still semi exists, need to place better leaders in leadership and management roles
Learned great skills and information; Politics and favoritism. Stack ranking still semi exists; Need to place better leaders in leadership and management roles
Good place to start
Product Advisor (Current Employee), Corte Madera, CAMay 31, 2014
Pros: really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber
Cons: nothing. this is an a+ company to work for.
Excellent benefits, they treat you very well. Positions within the Microsoft Retail stores are fairly simple. High standards, Clean environment. Great bonuses/gifts for all employees. Great training.
Systems Administrator
Systems Engineer/Administrator (Contract) (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 30, 2014
All Systems datacenter management for WARP systems, Microsoft Advertising
Great downtime and a wonderful place to work.
Data Lab Assistant Intern (Former Employee), chevy chase mdMay 29, 2014
Pros: everyday is smooth
Cons: can't think of any
I had a blast working at Microsoft. Everyday after I had my lunch I had enough time to play Foosball with the other intern. Free beverages and a lot of other conveniences.
Great Company
Sr. Program Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 29, 2014
Great Company to work for. I had great 8 years working for one of the top software company in the world
Great Company
Delivery Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 28, 2014
Pros: working from home
Cons: contractual basis
Working for Microsoft was a great opportunity! My job was mostly from Home so I got to virtually meet new people from other countries and coordinate classes for Latin America Sales and Marketing teams. I loved it!
Productive and fun workplace with a renewed device strategy
Sr. IT Solution Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WaMay 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, family oriented, this is a great company with tons of resources, doing amazing work in the technology industry. lots of really smart people here.
Cons: very large company, competitive - that is still working throgh a risk adverse culture.
If you love tech, this is a great place. Your experiences will range from enterprise to consumer, all sorts of devices.... PCs, phones, tablets to XBOX.

Mobile & Cloud is a great direction for Microsoft.
Extremely fast paced environment
SOLUTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee), field salesMay 26, 2014
Pros: lots of passionate and smart people.
Cons: should change roles often in order to be able to achieve goals, which may include willingness to relocate.
Never boring
Constantly learning something new
Need to be able to always stay positive, master politics, and work within ambiguous guidance
Challenging long term growth if you stay in one position for more than three years
Cobblers kids at times
Perception is reality and hard to overcome if you are a member of a geographically dispersed team
Product Advisor
Product Advisor (Current Employee), las vegas fashion show mallMay 23, 2014
Help customers discover, enable, and implement high value Microsoft technology solutions and services across a broad range of devices that meet their individual needs and exceed their expectations
- Flawlessly execute the sales and service strategies of the Microsoft Retail organization
- Present total solution offerings and sales support based upon – more... each customer’s unique needs, both before and after the sale
- Maintain expert level product knowledge in all Microsoft retail products, devices, and services offerings
- Continuously learn through others, self- educate, share specialized knowledge, and expertly demonstrate and present the newest product and service offerings across all devices
- Collaborate with peers, store leaders, corporate, and field team members in the development of the necessary tools and program offerings that will lead to long-term relationships with elated customers
- Must be able to work a regular schedule as required by the needs of the business
- Must be able to move about the store
- Lifting/carrying (loading and unloading all those great products and carrying purchases out for our customers will be required!) – less
Big company, lots of opportunties
Marketing (Former Employee), SeattleMay 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: tough commute
MS has a lot of moving pieces and it all depends your team and boss
Productive and fun place to work.
Inventory Control Expert (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, occasional free lunches, great working enviroment
Cons: still retail
I love the Microsoft Retail Store Culture. It does not matter which store you visit the employees treat you the same way. They are welcoming. friendly, and full of personality. Which makes day to day duties easier because you enjoy the time spent with your coworkers.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is interacting with customers. Determining – more... their needs and helping them find what it is they are looking for. Customers always know what they want but do not always know how to explain that to a sales associate. It is fun to help paint that picture for them.

The management team is diverse and ready to help. Just like any other job you warm up to some managers more than others. As a team though they are more than happy to assist you. They also encourage progression through stretch assignments and small projects that they assign. – less
Contract SDET (Prithvi Catalytic) (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 15, 2014
Learnt alot and was treated as a regular employee by the team.
Fun working environment and smart, friendly people
Business Administrator (Current Employee), Boulder, COMay 14, 2014
Pros: fun environment, friendly, lots of diversity.
Cons: a lot of pressure to keep up.
I truly enjoy working for Microsoft. I have enjoyed my 9 months here under contract very much. The people are smart, friendly & helpful. I have learned a lot since my hire and look forward to continuing to grow professionally. I was kept busy and learned something new everyday here.
Amazing place to work
Subject matter expert and team leader (Former Employee), Issaquah, WaMay 12, 2014
Pros: free soda, coffee, tea. great discounts
Microsoft is an amazing place to work. People are always friendly and very knowledgeable.
Great place to work. A company who is passionate about helping others achieve goals.
Business Administrator - EPG WW Industry (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 12, 2014
A company who is passionate about helping others achieve goals.
Great company with great life balance mindset
Executive Assistant to VPGM, AT&T Account Team (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAMay 11, 2014
Pros: free sodas and coffee. friendly folks.
Cons: team is too spread out to build meaningful work relationships.
Great group of men that I support from an administrative standpoint. From purchasing product, understanding all the internal logistics and applications, travel, shipping, tracking, and event planning.
work at MS
Support engineer (Current Employee), bangaloreMay 11, 2014
* its awesome working as the work culture is different from the previous company
* learned how to manager things at high pressure of work environment.
* our manager provided the best guidance and would help in enhancing my career.
* here co-workers are helpful and would guide you in work related issues.
* The learning is infinity and would be keep on – more... learning as knowledge is ocean. – less

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's – Read more