Microsoft

Microsoft Employer Reviews

Excellent place to work with great work/life balance
IT Solution Manager - ECIT OEM SD Total (Current Employee), Reno, NVDecember 2, 2014
Great challenging and fast paced working environment with great benefits. Always working with the latest technology and current practices. Very smart and fun people. Good project management guidelines and methodologies. Reasonable performance review process and very good total rewards program.
Administrative Assistant / Group Assistant (Former Employee), Irving, TXDecember 1, 2014
This was by far the best place I have ever worked. The people were great and I was instantly part of a family. I learned that I had more to offer than just office skills. My Manager told me that he would have liked to see me as a Project Manager for the company, however i didn't have any experience so that didn't work in my favor. I wouldn't trade this – more... experience for anything. They believed in each other and myself and compensated well. – less
productive
warehouse (Former Employee), Mira Loma, CANovember 28, 2014
Pros: 40 plus hours
Cons: hot warehouse
was a fast paced job
learned new skills
was a nice group of ppl to work with
lots of walking
fun company
Service Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 28, 2014
Pros: free parking, volunteer work
the culture was eloping. one of the best companies as far as resources was undeniably abundant. Helped to reform abilities to critique my own work to see where I could improve on my efficiency and productivity. Culture helped create lasting bond between co-workers. overall great environment to work in.
Dog Eat Dog Environment
Onboarding Manager (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 26, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: environment, favoritism, racism, sexism
The company as a whole provides is enjoyable. But the department in which I work (Office 365 Onboarding Center) is not. The project is new and the management consists of people thrown together from other departments. All eyes are on the project as it may change the way business is done from a customer service standpoint.

There is no cohesiveness due – more... to everyone clamoring for the spotlight. Leads and managers were not trained for their positions but thrown into them to save them from layoffs from other departments.

The project as a whole was rushed, therefore missing the start date promised to customers by a full month. Partners and account managers were not properly notified which causes confusion on the customer end. In short, the whole project is a joke. – less
Busy, challenging company
Program Manager (Former Employee), RedmondNovember 25, 2014
Smart people working hard to change the world. Plenty of opportunity to develop organizational agility and figure out how to deal with and make progress with lots of ambiguity. Hard to navigate review process.
Contractor at Microsoft
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: management styles
It depends on the group you are supporting, but the people I worked with were wonderful for this group. I would say that there needs to be more communication from management when it comes to feedback about job performance but other than that I was happy with this group.
It all depends on your team and manager
Senior SDE (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, work with latest microsoft stuff.
Cons: frequent reorgs, cut-throat/competitive teams and orgs(no friends here). stack ranking.
Microsoft has an up or out view of the world.
You are either moving up or you are moving out of the company.
Better not to be too attached to what you are doing but view it as a way to move up and on to something else.

This unfortunately also means it's about looking better and doing more than your peers. Your review defines who you are (at Microsoft).

Expect – more... frequent reorgs.
Different teams and managers can have very different goals and values.

Benefits are great, but expect to be a 24/7 employee in exchange.

Your immediate manager is critical to your success.
Despite the rhetoric, the new review system feels exactly like the old stack ranking system. – less
Great experience if you move between divisions
Senior Program / Product Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: great salary, really good benefits, pretty much set your own schedule outside of core hours.
Cons: way too many meetings, to many people responsible for making seemingly simple decisions .
I was lucky to have a manager early on in my career, highly suggest that I should move between divisions and groups to not only gain experience, but to use the knowledge I gained to help deliver great products and services in other groups.

Microsoft has mini cultures within each division, so moving from role to role is like moving between start up's – more... every 1-2 years.

The upside of moving to new divisions and roles, you gain a ton of experience and can get promoted along the way. The downside is losing upward mobility (e.g. lead and director level opportunities). – less
MICROSOFT
Tier 3 Bilingual Sales Support Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 22, 2014
Identifying and resolving technical issues relating to Office 365 - Lync/ Exchange/ SharePoint. Case management by ticketing and bug tracking systems. Premiere Support Services for Enterprise Customers.

•Managed customer technical issues ticket issues and provided continuous support and timely updates to customers in accordance with service level agreements – more... (SLAs).

•Troubleshoot all Office 365 customer issues related to Exchange, Lync Server, SharePoint and Live Meeting.

•Served as a third tier technical expert, providing analysis, resolution and escalation point for online issues.

•Ability to communicate complex problems in non-technical terms at various levels within the organization

•Worked with sales, operations teams and partners to gather escalation information and customer/business impact. – less
A great place to learn and grow in software development
Software Developer/Engineer in Test (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 21, 2014
Pros: the people, flexible work hours, remote from home work days, free sodas, coffee, and tea
Cons: inconsistent work - as a contractor the waits between jobs can be too long
A typical day started off with reviewing, sorting, and when needed - respond to over-night emails. In addition to team and company correspondence, they also consisted of automation test results and testing done over-seas. Next, I would review my bugs in the database to see what needed follow-up on for that day. In my last position, we would have a daily – more... scrum to sync up with all our teammates on where we all were in our tasks and goals for the project. This is also where we would make agile decisions on our workforce and re-assign folks or create new tasks to help keep the project on track for its determined release date.
Before working at Microsoft, I was a video editor and award winning 3D animator. However, I didn't know very much about software development - just how to manipulate it to get my work done. Working at Microsoft, I learned on the job about how to perform software testing - specifically manual UI. In addition, I picked up a lot of general information on the use of Microsoft products and devices. I also learned a lot about corporate networking. Because I served on many teams, I got to understand on a deep level the following products: My Sync II, Point of Sale OS, Hyper-V, Zune, IE, and CE OS and many portable devices over the years.
Microsoft is a big company, so my experience won't represent the company so much as just a small part of it that I worked with. My managers were all great and very helpful. Because I started after the company had matured, the managers were very good about work/life expectations. That made it a very safe environment to work in. They all were hands-off management style - no micro-management. I flourish when left alone to solve issues on my own and they knew to mange me that way.
I loved working with my co-workers. We were all very curious people and driven to get our jobs done. Now, this varies from person to person, but I found a wide range of people to learn from and later to help each day.
The hardest part of the job was the commute each day - lots of traffic. However, they allowed for flexible work hours which eased this most of the time. One other thing, when I was working there full-time, I found great waste in the tasks needed for the one-on-one meetings with my manager. The tasks were rarely looked at before rankings were set and yet that was the reason for the tasks. I found it a great waste of time. It was forced into the work that was needed to get done - which got in the way. When, in fact if the managers had a better understanding of how to better integrate this process - I wouldn't have wasted so much time. Coming from a background where I was pumping out TV commercials on a very strict deadline - I found the one-on-one process a huge waste of time. However, I do recognize the need to generate some sort of measurable results for employee reviews - this just didn't work well for me. I was used to my end product representing my usefulness, not side tasks. Fortunately, this last year they modified/dropped this practice. I don't know what replaced it - that was being still worked out before my contract ended. In the end, I found doing contract work there a better fit.
Innovation and the people were my most enjoyable parts of my job. It was fun to be a part of the process to develop new solutions for people's needs and the sharing of that experience with my co-workers. It was also a great environment to learn in - it was encouraged. Another side benefit was the global exposure to other people from around the world - I loved that. – less
Productive and a friendly place to work
Customer Care Advocate/ Call Center (Current Employee), Irving, TXNovember 21, 2014
Pros: long lunches. play xbox
Cons: lay off rate high
I worked in the tier 3 escalations department for Xbox Live customers. My job was very laid back but to the point. We had a quota that had to be met daily. My supervisor was very knowledgeable.
Great Company to Work For...
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 21, 2014
Could see myself having a long career with Microsoft. Co-workers were great to work with and the management team were very down to earth and easy to communicate with.
Experience varies wildly depending on manager
Business Administrator (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 20, 2014
Pros: overall good benefits and compensation
Cons: high health insurance deductible; too much inner competition
Most managers stress work/life balance and want to see the people on their teams succeed on an individual as well as team level. When you work for one of them Microsoft is a great place to be. Sadly there are still too many managers who are just interested in furthering their own careers and who are sometimes just incompetent, and their opinion of you – more... can adversely affect your career for years. Try to connect with people who work for the team you're interviewing with to get an honest assessment of what kind of manager you'll be working for. – less
productive, co-operative and learning
Network Engineer (Current Employee), redmond, waNovember 19, 2014
productive, co-operative and learning. Flexible hours, wide range of infrastructure, relaxing work environment.
great company to work with
QA Manager (Former Employee), redmond,waNovember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Like the culture, people and process. Learnt the life cycle of projects. learnt many things from experienced colleagues
Great place to work depending on the job
IT Solution Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 19, 2014
Microsoft is a great place to work depending on the job and people. Surprisingly, some of the people know very little about the technology they're working with, while others are actually the people creating the technology.
Challeging
Business Administrator (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 19, 2014
I was a contractor at Microsoft. I loved the work; very challenging. Although, it was very difficult to get hired as a direct employee.
Siloed organization, obsessive with targets and metrics
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: corporate culture
The company is so large and so fixated on targets it is very difficult to get things done collaboratively with other units.
Senior Global Marketing Operations Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WANovember 15, 2014
Pros: always learning new skills
Cons: amount of internal reorganizations
Great people, fast paced, cutting edge technology and global impact

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation India Private Limited is a subsidiary of US software giant Microsoft Corporation headquartered in New Delhi. – Read more