Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,760 reviews matching the search
Not what everybody expects
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2016
I gave one star as the values shown are in reality not follow by the company. Management is bias and goes by rumors to judge employee. The system employee evaluation encourages rivalry among fellow coworkers,on the outside everybody seems nice but when it comes evaluation time, they will destroy you if see you are a good potential for a raise. They stressed the importance of work life balance but that's another fantasy. You will not look good if you don't keep up with emails during your days off or even vacation. You will also look bad if you stay in the same position for about 3-4yrs they said you need to look higher level even if you do a good job .No job security you can be fired anytime if you are a good employee or not with without reason.
Stay in Redmond
Learning & Development Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 29, 2017
Awesome place to grow your career, but much harder to do if you're not on the main campus in Redmond, or one of the main campuses like NERD, SVC, etc.
Pros
Great pay, OK benefits, great build culture
Cons
Zero perks for tech, Redmond centric
Poor Management
Badging Officer & Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 26, 2017
As a Badging officer at Microsoft I was given additional tasks and duties of an Account Manager and with the rate I was given with only 40 hours a week wasn't worth it. I find it impossible if one was given badging duties for an entire division while being given account management duties with just eight hours in a day. If I were being compensated with a higher rate on salary I would've given a better opinion.
Pros
Steady Schedule
Cons
Compensation, Management, Organization, Leadership
Excellent office facilities
Engagement Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 1, 2017
Great work place culture. Community volunteer work is encouraged and get paid doing it. The offices provide free energy drinks and good coffee/tea options.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Work life balance challenges
Great Company, Bad Middle Management
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 1, 2017
Amazingly smart people trying to change the culture to be more innovative. Middle management is more protective of their jobs, than interested in the advancement of the next generation. Unfortunate.
Experience varies based on organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 21, 2016
Lots of different opportunities within the company but work experience typical day varies based on team or management or project. Some weeks will be 40 hours and other weeks it can be 50 to 60 hours. Management varies and some are great managers who are there to support you and help you learn on the job and grow your career while some are just to manage you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with ambiguity and unrealistic expectations and last minute budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of the job is having some great co-workers. Work life balance is tough at times although managers do encourage employees to do their best to own it.
Pros
Variety of jobs/projects, flexibility to work partially remote, discounted MS software, Prime card, matcing 401k
Cons
Work/Life balance, Job security
Microsoft is fantastic place to work
Senior Manager, Business Programs (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 22, 2016
You can change careers multiple times without needing to change companies. The compensation and benefits are outstanding, and the culture rewards delivery and innovation.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 18, 2016
One of my favorite things about Microsoft is that there was a focused effort for all team members to be successful Drama was kept to a minimum and there was no back stabbing or jealous efforts to thwart an employee's success. The management was fair and level headed. Overall, the working environment was excellent. Future employers will struggle to compare to the Microsoft experience I had.
Pros
Excellent benifits
Cons
Minimal job security (as with many tech companies)
Fun place to work where they make you and the customers the priority
Technical/Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 21, 2016
Working for Microsoft was an absolute blast. For the most part, they treat you like a person and not just a number. Working at the retail store and dealing with customers was not as bad as working with customers at other retail stores because they treat you with respect. I never saw any of my coworkers get yelled at or being mistreated even though some people are hard to deal with.
Pros
free snacks and coffee for employees, free healthcare plus many other benefits.
Cons
managers come from different retail stores and have a hard time adjusting to microsoft culture
A fun and challenging environment.
Product Advisor / Chief MS Office Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJDecember 25, 2016
Currently, I am employed in Microsoft's retail division.

Besides the wonderful sales training we are instilled with, the corporate culture and the invitation to grow as professionals make this an incredible opportunity for anyone starting off in the business world.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Somewhat limited internal development.
Good Work Life Balance
Director Sales Technology (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 30, 2017
Workplace Culture
Great Benefits
Too Many Layers Management
Diversity & Inclusion solid training
Coaching & Mentoring
Benefits
Cons
Too Many Layers Management
Microsft is one of the best Tech company that exists today
IT Operations Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 6, 2017
its been nothing but positive experience for me so far.
I like the work / life balance that I have within my current role. I work from home full time with flexibility of going to the campus whenever I need.

Compensation and benefits very competitive.
Great Company to Work For
Financial Analyst/Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 19, 2017
Hands down, Microsoft is the one of the best companies to work for - period! I love this company. The culture encourages creativity and the amount of learning you gain is priceless.
Pros
Great experience working with some of the smartest people out there.
Cons
Work-Life Balance not so great.
Some good people
Program Manager II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 21, 2017
At Microsoft I was able to own the domain I worked in. That said, you have to be able to compromise your belief in delivering a great product in order to work for some managers who are most interested in career advancement. If you are adept at politics and compromise, you will do well.
Pros
Some good, smart people to work with and learn from.
Cons
Politics result in average results.
Life at Microsoft
3CP MPP Governance Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 23, 2017
An excellent company to work for. Very passionate people and dedicated leadership team. The company has become one of the most innovative teach companies. The hardest part of the job is understanding how to navigate the organization.
Pros
Great work culture and leadership team
Cons
Work life balance can be a challange at times
Great place to work ...for a while
Senior Modern Devices and Mobility Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2016
Overall the company has been great to me but my lifestyle changed and unfortunately the job/role as consultant could not adjust well enough to keep me closer to home. The managers change every few months which was also disruptive to have to justify your work and existence every few months. If I wanted to do something outside of management and excessive travel I would have to move to Headquarters.
Pros
Great Compensation Plan
Cons
Too much travel
Productive and Fun Work Place Environment
Consumer Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Microsoft is very supportive with being flexible with scheduling, working with students and making sure they are being and feel supported. Microsoft also cares for their employees, benefits are outstanding for part-time and full-time. Coming into work is so exciting for me, were one big family!
Pros
Benefits, Advancement, Build Experience
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER IN TEST 2 (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 23, 2017
Microsoft has be a great place to work and as a Software Developer in Test for the last 18 years I have learned a lot. Good benefits package(Used to be Excellent benefits package), decent pay, and excellent co-workers.

With all the changes the last few years and the reduction of the test team I felt it was time to move on. I would still recommend it as a great place to work.

The environment is rapidly changing so not sure where they will end up, but they are still doing great things, so they I'm sure they will continue to do what is needed to retain great talent.

With the rapidly changing structure to the company, there are a lot of inconsistencies in processes and lack of reliable tools, but I am confident they will eventually settle and figure it out.
Pros
People, atmosphere, and benefits
Cons
unreliable internal tools and infrastructure.
One Microsoft
Senior Service Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 7, 2016
Microsoft has changed over the years and for the better. It has become a more inclusive place to work and empowers its employees to self realize and become more. Microsoft continues to foster creative thinking and schools of thought and encourages people to be innovative within their career at Microsoft.
Pros
Benefits and extras around campus and Seattle area
Cons
Some groups do not offer Teleworking opportunities
Challenging and Exciting
TSP - Cloud Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Strong company with a vision. Excellent benefits and overall compensation. Lots of politics and hard to balance life and work. Always lots of new things to learn