Microsoft Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,530 reviews matching the search
Work from home
Xbox Customer Support Expert (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXApril 26, 2016
It was a nice job for a work at home job. I would wake up and deal with angry customers for 8 hours and go on with my life.I learned everything about the Xbox 360 and Xbox One inside out, and the flaws of the Xbox consoles. The hardest thing is Christmas you don't get much time off unless you request time off. The most enjoyable part of the job was the benefits. The more time you worked, you would be entered into raffles. I won a free year membership one time which was pretty cool.
Pros
Direct Deposit, not bust on weekdays, work from home
Cons
2 10 minute breaks, not off for holidays, angry customers calling you names
great place to work
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2016
Provide the highest level of technical and customer support for tablets with business clients
Recognize and respond to customer needs and demonstrate sincere commitment to resolving customer needs
Probe customers to identify underlying issues and pose critical questions
Search and retrieve information from various databases for the customer
Demonstrate a sincere commitment to resolving the needs of the customer
Respond to customer frustrations using excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Explain concepts and present technical information clearly to business customers; identify the level of technical knowledge of the customer and adjust technical communications to solve customer need
Complete case notes in the call tracking database accurately
I was a vendor not a Microsoft FTE, however I always felt as part of the team.
Support Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 29, 2016
ASSURE Automation, My function was to execute any necessary change requests and provide assistance to developers as they deployed updates to the service. I was also assist developers with access to certain logs they might need to diagnose issues that we were seeing.
Pros
Free beverages, flexible scheduling.
Cons
New 18 month limit on employment
Experience varies based on organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 21, 2016
Lots of different opportunities within the company but work experience typical day varies based on team or management or project. Some weeks will be 40 hours and other weeks it can be 50 to 60 hours. Management varies and some are great managers who are there to support you and help you learn on the job and grow your career while some are just to manage you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with ambiguity and unrealistic expectations and last minute budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of the job is having some great co-workers. Work life balance is tough at times although managers do encourage employees to do their best to own it.
Pros
Variety of jobs/projects, flexibility to work partially remote, discounted MS software, Prime card, matcing 401k
Cons
Work/Life balance, Job security
great company, but too shifting
Inside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 27, 2016
Worked as a vendor under MS project. Way too much of shift on project and didn't have a good direction.
Majorities of managements were pretty nice, but didn't work too well with vendor to which direction they wanted to drive their business.
Pros
Lot of excellent benefit for employees
Cons
Direction of business was changing too much too often.
Microsoft is great place to work
Sr. International Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 21, 2016
Microsoft is great place to work. I have been there for 15 years and could always manage to have a good life balance. If you are lucky to have a good manager it will be great, But not all managers are good there. Some of them are really bad managers.
Pros
Bike commute, technology, benefits, support
Cons
Review, Connect, individualism
Awesome company with a mismatch between culture and management
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 8, 2016
I worked at MS for nearly 10 years. My only real complaint is that certain managers fail to fully embrace the real cultural changes driven from the top. They tend to remain part of the 'old guard' and it can make working there miserable. If you don't have one these managers, it's a fun, great place to work.
Technical PM
Technical Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 10, 2016
• Ownership of the project. Sometimes this means building high-level initiatives and rolling up sleeves and diving into the technical details.
• Managed efforts designing and development of Data warehouse and building of solutions that suits business need.
• Proactively assess project risks and develop mitigation plans or escalations to leadership for timely manner resolution
• Manage project scope to maintain focus on core business objectives within time and budget constraints. Stellar time man¬age¬ment and documentation skills
• Provide continuous communication between other Technical
Great internship experience, not the right role for me
Content Publishing Intern (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 10, 2016
As interns, we are treated like kings and queens. We get paid a very high rate per hour and have a travel experiences and housing subsidies included. There's even an intern night where everyone was given a huge product gift (like a laptop or xbox) and they rented out the carnival. There are game nights, hack-a-thons, and labs to improve skills.

The internship experience depends a lot on the team that you're on. I did not enjoy content publishing. I had my own office as an intern, and I was a bit lonely because I was the only intern in my field. Some interns were paired together. I enjoyed working with the people there.

Nearly every intern gets a solid job office.

I'd highly recommend the experience.
Pros
salary, work-life balance, special events
Cons
placed on a team with no other interns
Great company with growth opportunity!
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 6, 2016
Working at Microsoft has been amazing. The culture is in everything that we do. You really do end up loving the company once you join the team.

In a retail environment I have seen several pears grow and get promoted to management positions and corporate positions.
Pros
work life balance is amazing, benefits are fantastic even for part time
Cons
as a retail sales associate pay leave a bit to be desired, management can make you hate your job or love your job
Productive fun envirnment with Ping pong table
Surface Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 12, 2016
I work with a company who handles Microsoft projects. Our project was a pilot project. We have exceeded Microsoft goals and they have decided to bring new business. Convergys has a ping pong able and a foosball table where employees can unwind. The work environment is great here.
Cons
Compensation, Healthcare
Most fun I have had on the job
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 5, 2016
Working for Microsoft was kind of like joining a cult. Everyone was happy, everyone loved their job and took pride in what they did. I loved being there. The management was well placed (usually), and if there were issues or complaints from anyone in the store, upper management would step in and assess. The hardest part of the job was Microsoft's very stringent standards that had to be adhered to at all times. The most enjoyable was being encouraged to play Rock Band, Halo, or Just Dance with customers.
Pros
free surface 3 and windows phone upon being hired, great employee benefits, culture is amazing
Cons
high deductible healthcare, company is still growing so there are a few kinks being worked out business-wise
fun work place free taxi rides,drinks.pool table and ping pong to play
(GSAM)-Data analyst (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 30, 2016
no work pressure
equal opportunities
management is professional
co worker from different back ground learn so much about other cultures
hardest part is when you have to repeat commands data and so much same and same thing over 300 or 400 times and if you make a single mistake have to restart the whole process
learned so much about Microsoft tools
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
medical benefits, sick leaves etc
I enjoyed working at Microsoft.
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2016
I enjoyed working at Microsoft.
I would work 8 hours a day. Everyday was always something new. I learned how to fix a computer. How to speak with businesses. The management was not the best. The Hardest part of the job was to try and figure out what the management team wanted you to do. Being about to help people with their computers.
Large Company with large processes
Operations Deployment Program Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 9, 2016
I've worked here for a long time and it's changed from a company with a small company attitude, being fun and creative. No longer agile, exciting company to work for. Became the IBM they originally were fighting against.
Pros
Many different technologies to be involved with
Cons
Hard to get accountability
Great coworkers, learned a lot, busy work enviroment
Engineer Tier III Top Level Escalations (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of resolving complicated issues such as, troubleshoot issues, investigating unknown issues, etc. I learned how to work well in a large team, teaching others how to work with our system, leading groups of coworkers to be more efficient. I enjoyed working with my co-workers, since we had to work closely we were able to build a great work relationship and it pushed us to work harder as a team. The hardest part of my job was when unknown issues couldn't be resolved right away due to not having a sufficient amount of people available to assist. Also, when we had to test new apps and there were many issues. The most enjoyable part of my job was resolving issues , building towards goals and finding ways to be more efficient as an individual and also as a team!
Pros
Gym, Free Parking
Cons
insurance plan
Not what everybody expects
Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Humacao Municipio, PRApril 3, 2016
I gave one star as the values shown are in reality not follow by the company. Management is bias and goes by rumors to judge employee. The system employee evaluation encourages rivalry among fellow coworkers,on the outside everybody seems nice but when it comes evaluation time, they will destroy you if see you are a good potential for a raise. They stressed the importance of work life balance but that's another fantasy. You will not look good if you don't keep up with emails during your days off or even vacation. You will also look bad if you stay in the same position for about 3-4yrs they said you need to look higher level even if you do a good job .No job security you can be fired anytime if you are a good employee or not with without reason.
Pros
Cons
above mentioned
Best Retail Experience of My Life!
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYMarch 24, 2016
Fun job to work while learning about the ins and outs of Microsoft. Being able to add more to my knowledge of Microsoft Office, helped me in my daily and professional life as well. There's not many jobs you can say that about. Also being able to see all the new up and coming products was cool as well. Management was cool as well. One of the best work environments ever!
Pros
Great work environment, great benefits
Cons
Lack of hours due to it being a retail job
Results Driven Sales Manager
Business Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 21, 2016
A typical day of work does not exist when it comes to sales people. You plan the night before and take action early the next morning. It's about strategic thinking and planning and also being relentless on what we call the sales battle ground. The hardest part of the job is getting that first no out of the way.
A good place to work
Usability Researcher (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 22, 2016
I was surrounded by extremely talented people that did good work, but it was often hard to see that work realized.

Managers did not seem to want to manage, though they certainly tried (I think they would have preferred to stay busy and not delegate or review work), and there was a lack of direction for research that lead to severe morale issues.

The work was interesting, I learned a lot, and overall it was a remarkably positive experience.

4.2