Microsoft

1.5K reviews

Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,107 reviews matching the search
Many resources, and very enjoyable work environment
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJanuary 2, 2016
They many resources and encourages thinking outside the box. Great company to work for. I was given my own project, where I had to learn many things. But I always felt comfortable, no one was watching over my shoulder. I was able to thrive in this environment.
Amazing
Beta Tester (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCDecember 31, 2015
It was a amazing non-profit job to be apart of the past few years I was in the program even though I never had any contact with the people who ran it, it was my job to report bugs my message board and or email.
Pros
free demos
Cons
no pay
Partner Competency
Partner Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 31, 2015
Interfaced with many groups in order to assess scope of work, interview vendors, manage budget, keep developers to schedule and publish final content.

As in many cases, the FTE that is responsible for the outcome, guides the vendor in the direction they want the work to take, but the vendor drives all the moving parts to fruition.

I enjoy driving a project with many moving parts and discovering new processes and new applications that can be used to create what is typically a world-class outcome.
ok place to work
User Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 29, 2015
I learnt a lot from my job and manger and the team were great to work with. Working as a contractor has it's pros and cons. Cons was you could lost your job anytime without any notice in advance.
Excellet high tech facility
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORDecember 23, 2015
I am honored to work with one of the most important company in the world at a very high tech facility in Wilsonville. I learned lots of thing about high tech production high standard and strict auditory system.
I learned the culture of lean manufacturing and 5s.
Cons
a break in production
Excellent Workplace
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
A day at Microsoft is usually remaining busy. Consulting with customers. Creating a excellent relationships with customers. Reviewing the store numbers as a whole and focusing on what you can do to help the store boost revenue from day to day. My co-workers are people who like to help others and making the work environment fun.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no cons
Great opportunity with a great company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 20, 2015
Microsoft retail is a great place to work if you are looking to really make a name for yourself in retail. I many ways, it is just like another retail job but things are handled considerably better than other retailers. Communication is good. Benefits are excellent. Pay is fair. The consistency of goals makes for some stress as targets are always moving but if you enjoy new situations and reacting accordingly, it's nice. Middle management, like any retailer, is always the crutch. There is always a disconnect between the people running the show, and when objectives arrive at your store. There was always a disconnect too with Microsoft as a whole. What we did in retail seemed insignificant when compared to the greater company. I loved my coworkers. I loved my store. I was expecting more but at the end of the day, it is still retail.
Pros
Free soda, great training, awesome tools, amazing benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement, inconsistent objectives, lack of inclusion with Microsoft as a whole.
Great Company
Director of OEM Sales, Americas (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 19, 2015
Microsoft is the technology bell weather. They are big and powerful with a lot of executive management. I believe the company enables other companies excel in their fields.
Pros
Good Culture
Cons
Long Work weeks
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 12, 2015
Opportunities to learn. Good for youngsters. Growth is limited in non-engineering functions. Lots of time is spent in meetings and presentations.
Pros
Ton of knowledge gain
Cons
Stress
Dynamic environment with lots of sharp people
Project management (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 11, 2015
Monthly reporting and creating purchase orders has been a large part of the time I have spent at Microsoft. Variance analysis and creating PowerPoint slides and pivot tables also was required.
Pros
Shark mind
Cons
Shark mind
Fun place to work, good benefits, good opportunities. Management mixed bag
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 10, 2015
Depending on team and lead, flexible work life balance and hours. Opportunities to learn new products and skills. Team spirit is better now that 'stack ranking' forced curves have been removed from performance evaluations. That old system used to create disincentives to cooperate.

Management, particularly mid level leads are disappointing. Minimal training, massive egos and questionable competency, especially growing people and leading strategic initiatives: rather than micromanaging. However, your mileage may vary depending on the group and manager you get - there isnt a good standard here!

Too many reorgs affect ability to rise, especially if you are the one to get reorged, just before a promotion.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance skills, flexible working hours
Cons
Poor mid level managers
Novitex at Microsoft
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/ RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 10, 2015
I work for a vendor company called Novitex at Microsoft; the review above is for Novitex and not Microsoft. I very much enjoy working with the MS employees within my building, however my vendor company does have overly restrictive and illogical policies that interfere with ones personal and work life.

A typical day at work starts out at 8:00AM with unlocking and opening the desk, there's usually a bit of down time in the morning so that is when I spend my time responding to emails and booking meetings. Usually around 9:30AM-10:00AM, the main group of employees begin to arrive. Most of the time I have had a few visitors to check in by that point, but most of them arrive between 10:00-3:00 PM. Most of the day is checking in employees who have forgotten their badges, checking in visitors, answering the phones, paging shuttles to other buildings, booking meetings, and answering emails. After 3:00, the building begins to die down and people begin going home. By 5:00 PM almost everyone is gone and the building is quiet, I lock up and go home. The management is very unresponsive to emails and (besides one) very cold and sexist. They expect their employees to live up to a standard they do not themselves do. The hardest part of the job is assisting employees who feel entitled to a certain behavior or favors. It can be difficult at times to assist such ones when what they ask for is not within my means. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the interns, they are hilarious and fun. I'm more than willing to help them out with the odd and obscure around campus.
Pros
Free soda, milk, tea, coffee, and snacks. Employees are very friendly to the reception staff.
Cons
Overly restrictive vendor company, low pay, low vacation, unresponsive managment.
Productive place to work with excellent work environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  PRDecember 10, 2015
Productive place to work with excellent work environment. The company offers opportunities to grow as a professional in different areas.
Pros
excellent work environment, benefits, professional development opportunities
Cons
technology evolve to quick so the changes in structure.
Fun place with knowledgeable and helpful co-workers
Sr. SAP SD/EDI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 8, 2015
working here as a vendor. Dynamic team with always something new to explore and learn. Very good team who came to be some good personal friends.
Professional environment with various groups in one building
Developer Support (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 7, 2015
Fun place to work with all various types of people and different groups in one area. The work is straight forward and mostly vendor based projects.
Relaxed work enviroment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2015
An outstanding company that leads the world with better software solutions. Daily contacting Microsoft's clients. I learned a plethora of products, software, from the company. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was having to actually stay at the office for 40 hours. The best part was the flexible schedule offered.
Fun place to work
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 4, 2015
I always liked to work in Microsoft Corporation in a corporate culture. It is a fun place to work, and learn new software. It is always challenging. It is good to meet new people from different cultures, and also to learn good things about them.
Pros
Free soft drinks and free lunch sometimes
Cons
Long hours of work sometimes
great people and wonderful culture
Sr. Sql Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 2, 2015
Been at Microsoft for 5 years as a vendor and enjoyed the entire time I was there. Project are engaging and people are professional and great to work with.
Pros
Cafes are super
Cons
After every 18 months now a V- vendor must roll off
Wonderful work place
CSI Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 2, 2015
I learned that people make the company.
Wonderful Management.
Excellent coworkers.
The hardest part was making sure all facets of the project were completed on time.
The most enjoyable was seeing a completed project through to the end.
Pros
Great Peaple
Great Company
Principle Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 1, 2015
Microsoft is a great company, robust benefits with many opportunities to advance your career. Must be careful of burnout. Don't agree with the forced curve and review cycle that still exists.
Benefits
Cons
Political buracracy