Microsoft Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,526 reviews matching the search
Not what everybody expects
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2016
I gave one star as the values shown are in reality not follow by the company. Management is bias and goes by rumors to judge employee. The system employee evaluation encourages rivalry among fellow coworkers,on the outside everybody seems nice but when it comes evaluation time, they will destroy you if see you are a good potential for a raise. They stressed the importance of work life balance but that's another fantasy. You will not look good if you don't keep up with emails during your days off or even vacation. You will also look bad if you stay in the same position for about 3-4yrs they said you need to look higher level even if you do a good job .No job security you can be fired anytime if you are a good employee or not with without reason.
Experience varies based on organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 21, 2016
Lots of different opportunities within the company but work experience typical day varies based on team or management or project. Some weeks will be 40 hours and other weeks it can be 50 to 60 hours. Management varies and some are great managers who are there to support you and help you learn on the job and grow your career while some are just to manage you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with ambiguity and unrealistic expectations and last minute budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of the job is having some great co-workers. Work life balance is tough at times although managers do encourage employees to do their best to own it.
Pros
Variety of jobs/projects, flexibility to work partially remote, discounted MS software, Prime card, matcing 401k
Cons
Work/Life balance, Job security
Challening and Globally focused mindset
Senior Research Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 18, 2016
Microsoft is a company that is globally focused and this perspective permeates every effort that is made. This is at the same time exciting, humbling and fulfilling.

Work can be strenuous and very time-consuming but also flexible and adaptable. There is ample opportunity to "rise to the occasion" and undertake bigger and more impactful projects and initiatives.

The colleagues are among the brightest and most interesting people I have ever met and I have stayed in touch with a number of them since leaving the company.

The most difficult part of working at Microsoft occurs when strategy shifts abruptly and requires complete reworking of plans and initiatives.

The most enjoyable part of working there is the opportunity to effect change on things that will affect millions of users.
Pros
Healthcare, flexible hours, intellectual challenge
Cons
Stressful timelines and changes in direction
Great internship experience, not the right role for me
Content Publishing Intern (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 10, 2016
As interns, we are treated like kings and queens. We get paid a very high rate per hour and have a travel experiences and housing subsidies included. There's even an intern night where everyone was given a huge product gift (like a laptop or xbox) and they rented out the carnival. There are game nights, hack-a-thons, and labs to improve skills.

The internship experience depends a lot on the team that you're on. I did not enjoy content publishing. I had my own office as an intern, and I was a bit lonely because I was the only intern in my field. Some interns were paired together. I enjoyed working with the people there.

Nearly every intern gets a solid job office.

I'd highly recommend the experience.
Pros
salary, work-life balance, special events
Cons
placed on a team with no other interns
Microsoft Career
Business Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
There has to be no typical day at work. I can be at a client site, event, meeting, or gala. I get to meet new people daily and service existing clients. This has helped me learn about many different client rhythms from government, education, and enterprise. My coworkers are amazing and fun. I also enjoy having a diverse group of coworkers and I have to say that I have a boss who cares. He does his best to help me succeed and get to the next level. I would say the hardest part about the job is generating new opportunities for growth as my space becomes more inundated. My favorite part about the job is working on diversity and inclusion projects, as well as our great giving program.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Often long hours
Productive place to work with excellent work environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  PRDecember 10, 2015
Productive place to work with excellent work environment. The company offers opportunities to grow as a professional in different areas.
Pros
excellent work environment, benefits, professional development opportunities
Cons
technology evolve to quick so the changes in structure.
Business Administrator Legal & Corporate Affairs (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 4, 2016
Co-workers and management are exceptional. Work life balance is important to everyone there and management does everything possible to help with that.
Working for Microsoft was an experience I'll never forget.
Retail Operator (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXJune 29, 2016
This was my first job I had in an office as well as my first one finishing college. My duties were to receive calls from people who had visited Microsoft stores and answer any questions that had about our products or needed assistance on software we supported. I learned how to be patient here and I was one to take calls from the elderly and help them with installs of office, or any programs they had, or if they purchased a Windows Phone I would guild them on how to use it. The hardest hart was the holiday season, when we had so many calls that came in to ask about the Surface launch or about being on back orders. I enjoyed being able to help people with technical help because many of the elderly felt bad to ask their family for help I would always talk to them as if they were my grandparents.
Pros
I got to help out some many people and I felt good at the end of the day.
Cons
I wasn't a Microsoft employee I was employed by Volt to work there.
Contracting At Microsoft
Lead Visual Designer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2015
Contracting at Microsoft is difficult it is incredibly turbulent. in 1.5 years I had 5 bosses. Also, working in the division I was in did not allow for work/life balance.

Being a quiet, shy person that I am does not allow a person to move forward, no matter the quality of work you put out.
Pros
Learned a lot, great people
Cons
no benefits for contractors from my agency
Tier 1 tech support ready to roll
Technical support tier 1 (Former Employee) –  San Salvaord , El SalvadorJuly 3, 2016
My typical day at work would be a cusotmer not so happy about it´s pc being upgraded to windows 10 , what I´ve learned about it is that costumers they dont see the value on it what it can do for them , so what I try to explain to them is the bennefits the program those for them and also to let them know that it is for free , the hardest part is to hear out the response of the 1% of the unhappy costumers the enjoyable part is that you have a lot of tools like the remote view to view what´s happenning and to give a more satisfaying solution to them .
Pros
long lunches, vto, compensatory days, double pay when working on national holidays
Cons
calibration is done slowly on tech blog
worked 18 years Full time and 3 years as a contractor for MSFT
Global HR Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Remote TeleworkMarch 31, 2016
Great experience working in High Tech. Constantly improving how work gets done, finding ways to be more efficient.
worked 18 years Full time and 3 years as a contractor for MSFT
Pros
great benefits
Cons
n/a
Fun job, with a diverse team and awesome management.
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 2, 2015
Every day we have a meeting to talk about our numbers, what the company main focuses are, and how to engage the costumers and provide them with world first class costumer experience. I've developed my presentation and communications skills. I am fluent in the Windows OS (windows 7,8,8.1 and 10). I learned how to troubleshoot computers and fix them. The management team is great at keeping the energy going at all times. They need to improve on focusing a little more on the employees career development. Personally the hardest part of the job was learning the language of IT at first, then it was easy, the most enjoyable part of my job is constant training on Microsoft products, and services, managing business clients accounts and maintaining a relationship with them. with this job we have the chance to help individuals and make an impact in our community.
Pros
benefits, freee lunches, opportunity to travel, and network.
Cons
not enought recognition, career deveplopment, and countability.
My favorite company to work for.
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 6, 2015
There was soo much I enjoyed about working for Microsoft. The people were great, the projects I worked on were great, and the work environment was second to none. I've learned so much about technology and the business side of it that is invaluable to me. With people coming from different disciplines (some people had math degrees and others had programming degrees) it made learning much easier and interesting.
Pros
People, Culture, work enviroment, perks
Cons
job security for contractors
Great fast paced environment.
Data Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Quincy, WAMarch 28, 2016
At the Microsoft Data Center you will have your days go quick, it is a very fast paced environment, tons of people to meet and good atmosphere overall. Management when I was there was okay, they are now gone. But keep in mind I was hired through a contract agency who eventually lost their contract.
Pros
Great Data Center
Cons
n/a
Overall Productive and great company to be a part of
Consumer Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2016
I get to talk about all sorts of Microsoft products and services. It's usually a fun time in the unpredictable setting of New York, the environment welcomes all sorts of characters both employed or as customer or simple passerby's. I've had the privilege of dabbling in the most basic of customer service duties to more advanced, branch-out roles such as inventory, administration, merchandising, and technical support...Not many places allow for such well-rounded growth.
Pros
Environment, Beta programs exclusivity, transportation, peers
Cons
Lack of consitency, no stability, leadership, Lack of room for real growth
Fun to work for
Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2016
Slow days are slow. Learned many skills from working there. The management team is always seeking and looking for advancement for you as an employee.
An exciting place to work which values hard work and gives great opportunities for growth and development
Patent Process Manager, Legal & Corporate Affairs (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJune 9, 2016
I had many opportunities for growth and development while at Microsoft for 15 years. I managed teams and other managers; partnered with law firms and other venders; helped develop and implement new databases; and actively worked to reduce overall costs for prosecuting patents. It was interesting and rewarding work.
Pros
I felt respected as an individual and that my input was apprecited. The benefits were exceptional.
Cons
Work/life balance was a challenge at times, although this was not typically a problem for me.
Great Company
Director of OEM Sales, Americas (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 19, 2015
Microsoft is the technology bell weather. They are big and powerful with a lot of executive management. I believe the company enables other companies excel in their fields.
Pros
Good Culture
Cons
Long Work weeks
Great people Great benefits
Operations Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 10, 2016
Always challenging work and self-directed, the management doesn't micromanage. You are continually learning and growing. Lots of opportunity to move around within the company if you are Redmond-based.
Challenging and fun!
Quality assurance billing and password/ Team lead (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Fun environment open to change. Complete daily reports for two lines of business. Team customer retention behaviors to Global escalation agents. Relay daily stats as a part of the leadership team to agents and upper management. Information share and strategy comparison with other lines of business. I truly enjoy watching the transformation agents experience when they realize the training is working, it's an awesome feeling!
Pros
teaching others
Cons
Contract work

4.2