Microsoft
1,010 reviews

Microsoft Employer Reviews

microsft
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee), San Jose, CADecember 12, 2014
Pros: nice manager and co workers
Cons: no benefit
A good and organized company. Both co workers and manager are nice and friendly. In addition, I have so many chance to learn in here.
fun atmosphere, great way to build career
Windows 8 Campus Representative (Former Employee), blacksburgDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great resume builder
Cons: standing all day
best place to work if you are in college and looking for extra cash
Great Learning Environment
Software Developer in Test (Former Employee), Redmond, WADecember 11, 2014
Pros: free drinks, lots of learning resources, and benefits are good
Cons: teams and priorities are always changing...review process is awful
There are great resources for research and development. Layoffs have really put a damper on things. Benefits are still better than most places but they are slowly becoming like other companies. The yearly review process still sucks.
Project Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WADecember 8, 2014
Nice place to work with excellent people and good work culture. The shift with Dev/ops concept is changing the expectations and culture in a good way in the company.
Great company with smart people
Software Engineer, .Net Framework (Current Employee), Redmond, waDecember 8, 2014
Full of smart people who are very approachable, great work culture
Great place to grow a career
UX Program Manager on Search - Xbox One (Current Employee), Redmond, WADecember 4, 2014
Pros: healthcare, stock, salary
Cons: politics, ability to advance
Microsoft is full of opportunity. The company is one of the most cutting edge companies in the world. They understand business and home users and deliver unique experiences for both.

The co-workers at Microsoft are some of the smart people you will find in the tech industry.
Excellent Company to work for
PRINCIPAL TEST MANAGER (Former Employee), Redmond, WADecember 4, 2014
Pros: health benefits, work environment, encouraged new ideas, company store discount
Cons: location
A typical work hour day was 7am-7pm with the understanding that you would be reachable online after these hours. The most enjoyable part of my job was being supported by my Directors in thinking up and initiating new processes to save the company money and time. I always had a reliable team that would support our goals and we respected and supported each other throughout my time at Microsoft. The hardest part of the job was the work/home life balance and finding qualified people to do the job. You can train skill sets but you cannot train laziness. Management is tricky as you can't manage people to do work for you. You have to motivate them to want to do work for the team and drive their desire to keep working on new and exciting projects.
Great work environment
Consultant (Former Employee), Redmond, WADecember 4, 2014
It is an awesome work environment where you tell yourself at what level should I be as there are several talented people to work with.
Exposure to several different information technology tools and infrastructures. Great environment to learn working in a dynamic and high volume development process.
Overall Great Experince
Service Engineer (Current Employee), Redmond, WADecember 3, 2014
I really enjoy the atmosphere and culture of the group I am in. The only real downside is being a vendor.
Rewarding and challenging position
Escalation Engineer, Beta Lead, Program Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WADecember 3, 2014
Pros: training, team structure, benefits
Cons: 24x7 high stress environment
What can I say? Microsoft was by far the most challenging and rewarding company to work for.

The chance to be involved with the most current technologies, training at the highest level, a great team oriented culture and benefits that were second to none.
Productive and Fun work place with challanging work
Technical Sales and Product Advisor (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CADecember 3, 2014
Data Analysis
Business/System analysis
Microsoft Business Tools
Excellent place to work with great work/life balance
IT Solution Manager - ECIT OEM SD Total (Current Employee), Reno, NVDecember 2, 2014
Great challenging and fast paced working environment with great benefits. Always working with the latest technology and current practices. Very smart and fun people. Good project management guidelines and methodologies. Reasonable performance review process and very good total rewards program.
Administrative Assistant / Group Assistant (Former Employee), Irving, TXDecember 1, 2014
This was by far the best place I have ever worked. The people were great and I was instantly part of a family. I learned that I had more to offer than just office skills. My Manager told me that he would have liked to see me as a Project Manager for the company, however i didn't have any experience so that didn't work in my favor. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. They believed in each other and myself and compensated well.
productive
warehouse (Former Employee), Mira Loma, CANovember 28, 2014
Pros: 40 plus hours
Cons: hot warehouse
was a fast paced job
learned new skills
was a nice group of ppl to work with
lots of walking
fun company
Service Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 28, 2014
Pros: free parking, volunteer work
the culture was eloping. one of the best companies as far as resources was undeniably abundant. Helped to reform abilities to critique my own work to see where I could improve on my efficiency and productivity. Culture helped create lasting bond between co-workers. overall great environment to work in.
Dog Eat Dog Environment
Onboarding Manager (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 26, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: environment, favoritism, racism, sexism
The company as a whole provides is enjoyable. But the department in which I work (Office 365 Onboarding Center) is not. The project is new and the management consists of people thrown together from other departments. All eyes are on the project as it may change the way business is done from a customer service standpoint.

There is no cohesiveness due to everyone clamoring for the spotlight. Leads and managers were not trained for their positions but thrown into them to save them from layoffs from other departments.

The project as a whole was rushed, therefore missing the start date promised to customers by a full month. Partners and account managers were not properly notified which causes confusion on the customer end. In short, the whole project is a joke.
Busy, challenging company
Program Manager (Former Employee), RedmondNovember 25, 2014
Smart people working hard to change the world. Plenty of opportunity to develop organizational agility and figure out how to deal with and make progress with lots of ambiguity. Hard to navigate review process.
Contractor at Microsoft
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: management styles
It depends on the group you are supporting, but the people I worked with were wonderful for this group. I would say that there needs to be more communication from management when it comes to feedback about job performance but other than that I was happy with this group.
It all depends on your team and manager
Senior SDE (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, work with latest microsoft stuff.
Cons: frequent reorgs, cut-throat/competitive teams and orgs(no friends here). stack ranking.
Microsoft has an up or out view of the world.
You are either moving up or you are moving out of the company.
Better not to be too attached to what you are doing but view it as a way to move up and on to something else.

This unfortunately also means it's about looking better and doing more than your peers. Your review defines who you are (at Microsoft).

Expect frequent reorgs.
Different teams and managers can have very different goals and values.

Benefits are great, but expect to be a 24/7 employee in exchange.

Your immediate manager is critical to your success.
Despite the rhetoric, the new review system feels exactly like the old stack ranking system.
Great experience if you move between divisions
Senior Program / Product Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: great salary, really good benefits, pretty much set your own schedule outside of core hours.
Cons: way too many meetings, to many people responsible for making seemingly simple decisions .
I was lucky to have a manager early on in my career, highly suggest that I should move between divisions and groups to not only gain experience, but to use the knowledge I gained to help deliver great products and services in other groups.

Microsoft has mini cultures within each division, so moving from role to role is like moving between start up's every 1-2 years.

The upside of moving to new divisions and roles, you gain a ton of experience and can get promoted along the way. The downside is losing upward mobility (e.g. lead and director level opportunities).

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation India Private Limited is a subsidiary of US software giant Microsoft Corporation headquartered in New Delhi. – Read more