Microsoft Employee Reviews

Confusing business model,Pressure to make your number, no matter what! Poor management. Lot's of back stabbing, Racial diversity non existent .
Senior Services Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2018
Pressure to make your number, no matter what! Poor management. Lot's of backstabbing, Racial diversity non existent.

Complaining to management about unfair treatment only gets you into trouble.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Super fast paced enviornment
Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 8, 2018
primary day consists of many conference calls everyday to discuss all pertinent projects, culture everyone is their own team member, hardest part is traveling all the time. most enjoyable time is flexibility in hours and location of work.
Pros
many last minute decisions
Cons
lots of travelling
It was a fun job
Lead role (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJanuary 8, 2018
The company was a great place to work. The environment was friendly and professional. The facility was always clean. The supervisor were always friendly and understanding.
Pros
Free soft drinks
Cons
Lack of food option
Contracting job
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 8, 2018
Working as a research assistant for a new project at Microsoft. The team has 10+ members, and the management team handles the project well.The overall work schedule is closely monitored, but have flexibility as to accomplishing the weekly goal.
It was convenience place to work with flexible hour.
Reliability Technician III (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 8, 2018
My contract is going to be end by February 2018. I love my job. I learn a lot from Microsoft as Lab Technician and Reliability Technician. Best place to work.
Job not suitable for survival.
Lab Technician Contractor (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 8, 2018
I would only recommend people who are slightly interested in the tech field to get this job. Other than that I would steer clear away from this job. The turnover rate is horrendously high because of the lack of management and hours they provide. People are nice but this job doesn't get many bills paid off. If you're here for more of the experience and not for the money (not like they really give you that many hours to begin with) then this is the right job for you.
Pros
lunch and free soda/drinks
Cons
shortage of hours.
Fast paced supportive environment
Warehouse / Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJanuary 8, 2018
Life at Microsoft is incredibly fast paced and there is certainly an expectation to perform. As support, you are surrounded with a vast amount of other, talented individuals.
Pros
Benefit package is extremely good
Cons
Based on project deadlines, some work/life balance may be compromised
Ymmv
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 7, 2018
Totally depends on the team. Some are fantastic, exciting and rewarding, while others are tasked with responsibilities that are greater than they can handle.
Great advancement
Experienced Senior Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 7, 2018
the company has undergone a real cultural shift and mindset change as it transforming into services company. With advancement into Machine learning, we see great future for this company
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
career advancement, old school
Good company but company culture may vary in different department
Business Analyst Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 7, 2018
It is a good company to work with, however your manager or skip manager has all power in your annual review, bonus and career advancement. CEO is driving a better company culture but it is still quite different by departments.
Great people to work with
Senior Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 6, 2018
I learned so much from my colleagues and the businesses I supported. I was constantly challenged to think outside the box and felt supported by management.
The big one...
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 6, 2018
Having spent a fair amount of the last decade on campus, I have experienced the decline of campus culture somewhat. The global push for accountability has relieved many vendors of their positions and put heavier workloads on MS FTEs.
Pros
Retirement-worth job if you can attain FTE
Cons
Cut-throat environment, high-stress environment
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 6, 2018
Microsoft at the time was a very challenging, quick paced, nimble environment. During my tenure, I experienced nine reorganizations within six years. Each management team had a different view of how my team should operate. It was the incredibly long hours over many years that led to my departure. I felt well paid and respected.
Your competition was your team, not other companies
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 6, 2018
The WIM's (Windows Informational Meetings) were parties that tended to be too loud and made it hard to concentrate on getting work done.

Free dinners were nice on nights that we had to work late anyway.
Laid Back Environment
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Position I held at Microsoft was contracted through Volt Workforce Solutions and Compcon Tech. Working Contract you are not eligible for the same benefits as a Microsoft employee. Overall the pay was great and the environment was very relaxed. Received the right amount of training to effectively do my job and after contracts ends you have an opportunity to work in a different department allowing for more training. Great job overall.
Pros
Free Drinks, Games, Variety of food stations, and relaxed environment
Cons
Working Contract you are not eligible for the same benefits as a Microsoft Employee.
Awesome
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 5, 2018
The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people. Scheduling events and getting guest ready. I learned how to work in a fast pass environment.
Cool place to work
Operations/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 5, 2018
Nice place to work. Often had to work many more that 8 hours daily and manager was often doing personal things. Given jobs that were to be for the manager .
Great benefits and people
Contract Concept Artist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2018
Microsoft was a really great place to work at. They had a beautiful campus, good food at the cafeterias. It depends on the team you get on but my team had a really great group of people and everyone was very respectful of each other.
Pros
great salary, benefits, food
Cons
sometimes not the funnest projects
Love Microsoft
Tech Evangelist Intern (Former Employee) –  Mexico CityJanuary 4, 2018
My career in Microsoft started when I was young and I started to begin part of the Microsoft Student Partners program, where I learned a lot about Microsoft culture and technology at first hand.

Microsoft is a great company to work, you have flexible schedule, amenities and people truly smart and enthusiastic that is always available to help you grow.
Pros
Great culture, amenities, flexible schedule
Amazing management, intriguing product facing team
Visual Designer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 4, 2018
I have worked at Microsoft on and off for four years. I have had the pleasure to work on a variety of exciting new projects, under managers who truly care about their employees and products. It can be hard to transition from contractor to full time, but that would really by my only gripe about working for Microsoft. They strive to have a very open, inclusive environment. I feel the company has come a long way sine the age where engineers ruled the software world.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2