Microsoft Employee Reviews

Turning over a new leaf
Real Estate and Facilities (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 4, 2018
Satya has done an excellent job in turning Microsoft into an innovative and vibrant company again. The work environment is attractive with the right mix of amenities to support productivity.
Pros
Great work environment, exciting products, cool research opportunities
Fast Paced
Modern Workplace Solutions Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  MidwestJanuary 4, 2018
Great solutions, constantly changing, always learning, political ( maybe not worse than others, but definitely need to stay aware). complex to get things accomplished. Overall great experience and learned much that will benfit my career.
True working together!
Senior Resource Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 4, 2018
working at Microsoft by far was the most collaborative environment that I've ever been part of in my 25yrs in the work force. It was refreshing to see that a company of this size fostered such an environment.
Pros
People, Benefits
Cons
Hours
Good place to learn and grow
Project Manager, Product Testing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Great place to experience technology development at its best. You will be busy and expectations are high. Great people to meet and learn from. This company is always evolving.
Pros
Learning opportunities, Career growth, Benefits
Cons
Layoffs can come quickly
Product Advisor
Product Advisor/ Business Captain (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
If you work for corporate great! I would not work on the retail level ever again. Management needs more training and corporate needs to do a better job of checking on their retail employees.
Benefits
Great Company...poor management
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 1, 2018
Microsoft is a great company with an excellent CEO. Middle management is extremely poor. My experience was managers tend to like mediocre workers as direct report and hired intelligent workers to do the core work. I found managers to be very insecure.
Pros
Great company and benefits
Cons
Poor management
Working as a consultant means working at customer site
Consultant (Former Employee) –  VariousJanuary 1, 2018
As a consultant, I amused to working at customer site and working alone. I enjoyed the freedom most of the time. Most of the workplace culture that I have to adopt are the customer's.
Pros
Freedom, project based
Cons
Almost too soft for contract work
Tagger (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 30, 2017
It was a nice time, no issues at all. Between the nice offices and the rather affordable, excellent meals offered at the Microsoft cafe, I'd definitely try to find another job there again, for sure.
Still great place to work, but not what it used to be
Technical Pre-sales and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 29, 2017
I am on my second tour of duty at Microsoft. I was there in the 90's when Bill Gates was still CEO, and I came back in 2010 when Steve B was still here and Satya has since taken over.

It is still a great place to work with respect to learning about, and implementing, new technology. They also provide many opportunities to get involved in side-projects to expand your exposure to new technology. There is also AMPLE opportunity to get career and technical mentoring there.

They still have the **BEST** employee benefits compared to anywhere in the US. I would still recommend MSFT to college graduates looking for initial technical skill development so they can move on to something else. Compensation has never been stellar at MSFT - but its good enough. Work/Life balance has improved greatly since the 90's.

However, I would no longer recommend it as a place to climb the ladder or get job advancement. MSFT has taken more to hiring people from the outside, and preserving their middle-management 'in-crowd' by continually providing lateral transfers to that group in order to maintain the careers of the anointed few. They have also implemented regional hiring practices to the detriment of many. Thus, even though you may do great promotion-worthy work in Redmond, WA, you will not get the job if the company decides that the job has to be filled in Las Colinas, TX!

Sadly their culture of late has gone off the deep end injecting west-coast political-correctness into the work place. They are on board with all of the 'sanctuary' politics of the day. The SLT is very self-righteous
  more... about it and has taken a 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude about it, no matter how much it offends people. I am often left scratching my head about what any of this has to do with 'the business' and shipping quality technology. Injecting politics into the workplace has never been a good idea and it will eventually drive quality people away from the company IMHO.

Additionally, they are all about the new 'growth mind set' - which is perfectly fine in and of itself. Sadly, they have implemented that as a performance evaluation tool as opposed to a cultural goal. Unfortunately, its been my experience that no one in management has a consistent or informed idea about how that is defined nor can they provide any specifics on what it looks like in practice. I strongly doubt that the vast majority of MSFT mangers have even read Carol Dweck's fine book Growth Mindset. Ask 1000 managers and you will get 1000 different answers.
Pros
Free coffee and soft drinks, GREAT health care benefits, Excellent tech skill development opportunities
Cons
Not a great culture - too much political correctness; not much opportunity to climb the ladder
Amazing place to work!
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 28, 2017
Best place I have ever worked. Learned so much during my 11+ years of employment. Great managers, great co-workers, excellent benefits, awesome training resources available to everyone. Good work -life balance.
Great introduction into Machine learning
Community Manager - Cognitive Services (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 28, 2017
I had the chance to work with the engineers and product managers behind Artificial Intelligence and machine learning using APIs. It was my 1st time working under a contract. My direct team (Cognitive services) were very busy, however I never felt I was intruding on their time and they always had the answers to my questions. Working with a global team had its hardships, however I did a good job with keeping my team on the same page with feedback and suggestions for the service.
Pros
cutting edge technology
Cons
working alone
Worked with extremely smart and challenging people
Executive Assistant to GM of STB HR (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 27, 2017
Busy, fast paced, new challenges
Multi-tasking, negotiation skills, everything Admin, strong team building, management and coordinating complicated logistics, planning and documentation of processes
Pros
Smart, fun and challenging people and work
Cons
Commute and some management
Management People is just terrible
Territory Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CRDecember 27, 2017
I worked for few months at Microsoft Costa Rica, as an account Executive. The environment, the building, the benefits that the companies offers and the payment are just great, however my direct manager was an Argentinian lady that wanted to get thinks done as if you were a robot.

Now this is just the tip of the iceberg. The training that you receive is just on how to "sell" the rest of the product training and tools is done by yourself, which is not bad and now a days is normal, however, every time I needed something from her (my manager) , I asked her, and her answer was just " I don't know", " Do it on your own", " Find out, that's why Microsoft pays you for...' and some other sweet answers you could from someone who was suppost to be you "LEADER" and not just a manager. Anyone can be a boss, but not everyone can be a good Leader.

The environment within the team, was so heavy, that every meeting with her, was like if you were about to receive the worst news of your life, it was just horrifying.

Management in general was a total caos, after six months you did not have anything defined as your role it self, and you have to start figuring things out, but if you do the minimum wrong, you will get the bit down.

I love the company, their general culture is awesome, and don't get wrong, their benefits are just awesome as well, however if you are ready to be stress out, working very long hours per week and receiving the worst treat of someone who thinks that is just the manager of the entire company, acting like a modern Hitler, this is not the best place to work in.
  more...

You could receive a last moment notification from Human Resources on a regular day at noon, saying that they don't need you anymore and your position has been closes ( even though, another person will be assign to that position) just because you did not fit on your "manager's ideal slave profile"
Pros
Payment, benefits
Cons
Horrible Management, Internal caos, Loooong Hours of work
Great Technologically Innovative Company
Consumer Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYDecember 26, 2017
As a former employee of Microsoft, I can honestly say that this company truly cares about its employees. There are many different elements of the culture which embody their belief of how important their customers, and employees, are.
Pros
Free lunches, collaborative management, caring culture
Cons
Benefits could be a bit better
Product Advisor
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJDecember 26, 2017
It is a retail position so you should already know what you are getting yourself into. But this place will give you a chance to grow with in the company and quickly
Microsoft
Consultant ll (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 25, 2017
Microsoft was a great company to work for. If you love technology, Microsoft is the place for you. Microsoft benefits were great and people love to collaborate to ensure the success of the company.
Excellent collaborative workplace providing a competitive advantage
Engagement manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 22, 2017
Excellent collaborative workplace providing all possible opportunities in advancement and setting high expectations in a very competitive environment.
Account Executive review of scope and position
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 21, 2017
Challenging with the amount of quota given increasing each year until it becomes impossible to attain. No additional career path for Account Executives. If you are lucky enough to find another path out of sales, then your job level, salary, age and gender will come into play.
Pros
Name Brand
Cons
Management politics and unreasonable quotas
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 20, 2017
Loved my career so far at Microsoft, great place to learn, grow, and work with smart individuals. Microsoft has great benefits and good local and world-wide ethics.
Contract Work
Project Manager - IT Showcase (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 19, 2017
I currently work as a contractor for Microsoft and have for roughly 9 years. Although the vendor model has changed over the years I have worked, I still value the ability to move around more freely than I would have had I been hired as an employee.
Pros
Great cafeterias, Ability to grow, Flexible work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2