Microsoft Employee Reviews

Prestige - none better
Senior Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 1, 2017
An opportunity to work with the best of the best. A chance to impact the creation of the next product MSFT puts out. Unfortunately the desire to get customers on their cloud (Azure) is blinding management to the value of relationships with customers. Sales for people who shouldn't be required to sell is a poison pill for a trust relationship with customers.
Pros
Lots of bling
Cons
Socialize with your work mates or die on the stake.
Fun and challenging
Programmer/Writer, Harvey Nash and (Client (Former Employee) –  RedmondNovember 1, 2017
It beats the other companies in the area that I've worked for. The work is fun, challenging, and can be consuming.

The people are professional, courteous, and respectful of others.
Technical Account Manager (TAM) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 1, 2017
career advancement atleast on the sales side is not much.

Benefits are best in the industry
Work life balance is great and you get to work with some of the smartest people in the field.
Low work moral, workers and hours started getting cut.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, OROctober 31, 2017
The production slowed way down as they cut the work force drastically and cut hours. With in weeks we slowed down from making 1600 a day to 40 a day. Made for very slow days and even canceled work days due to over production.
Exciting place to work
Director of Service Delivery (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2017
Fun place to work where you can bring products to market that people use in their day-to-day lives. Great discounts of Microsoft software. Management encourages you to use their tools daily and advocate for them to your social peers.
Productive and fun working place
AV TierII Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 31, 2017
Productive and fun working place. Very diverse, welcoming and friendly. Non-Micro managing culture. The hardest part of the job can sometimes be working with users who are needy and difficult.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
PTO's
Great salary but you need to drive your own career
Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 31, 2017
At such a big company the experience will vary drastically. I ended up in a role without many career options outside of IT so I have to really work outside of already busy working hours to drive my career and build skills to do what I want to do.
Everyone is at least smarter than average and generally open minded and tolerant but it's still a boys club in many ways.
Lots of opportunity if you're willing to work hard and persist
Pros
Benefits, good starting salary, options to move around the company
Cons
Long working hours, general poor work/life balance, stressful to be customer facing, constant re-orgs
The best job/company
Warehouse receiving supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, OROctober 31, 2017
Of all my previous employers of 17yrs ..Microsoft is The BEST company that I have ever worked for ... They truly care about their employees. I love the diversity , the culture , the people ...EVERYTHING!!
Pros
People come first v
Very productive work environment
Program Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 31, 2017
The SQL Security team I worked with were very skilled and highly intelligent. Very quick-paced work and meetings. Had a lot of fun and would recommend to anyone.
computer programmer
Cisco Certified Network Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
i loved my time at microsoft i mainly left because i didnt get offered a full time position after 3 years so other than that awesome company to work for
Great home for millennials
WINDOWS TECHNICAL SOLUTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXOctober 30, 2017
Millennials can fail to make quota 2 years and still survive RIFs. The current leadership is reducing COGS by dropping a RIF on high performers (120%+ to goals) particularly if they are over 40 years old.

Doubling your six figure salary with revenue based incentives is good in the short term until management decides to cut costs. I am just waiting for the next RIF to see where my career goes.

If you know that there is no such thing as job security even if you crush quota you will be prepared for your next gig. I am.
Pros
Great products, platform to sell to enterprises, benefits, OK pay.
Cons
Not customer centric, not employee centric, cut throat. But they say the right things.
Lack of Internal movement and career development
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 30, 2017
Internal movement and career development need serious attention. I have been told more than once that I am "Top Talent" and received above average Rewards the past two years in a row. Yet my management does nothing to "retain" or "develop" me as part of their charter.

I am currently in my third stretch assignment (of which I drove), and so far they have not been beneficial in terms of setting me up for a possible transfer. I have attempted to explore seven internal positions, but most have already had an internal candidate identified before the position even opened, and others felt that my current experience did not exactly align (never mind my previous experience or potential).

Management needs to step up and sponsor/advocate for their top talent. Continuing to put them on dead-end work that creates burnout is not career development -- it is a career killer. Help open doors, find growth opportunities, and show your investment in us.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Internal movement and career development
high stress place to work
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA 98052October 28, 2017
I think everyone has some understanding that this is a tough place ot work, they continue to cut corners where employee benefits are concerned. Personally I was set for failure by my boss, so I my advise is enter at your own risk
very strong in enterprise area
Group Manager of Business Excellence (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 27, 2017
A more matured and structured technology firm
Many people work long hours
Takes time to get to know the firm's structure and connections within the firm
It can be a great place to work
Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 27, 2017
There are a lot of brilliant and motivated people at Microsoft that are great to work with. Working within or across teams to design, implement features and resolve issues is fun and motivating. From a pure development standpoint it can be a developers dream.

Don't get side tracked from developer tasks if you want a good performance review. Even though bugs are a standard part of the development process, if you spend time fixing bugs to make systems robust it will result in features being placed on the back burner. The end result is it will impacted performance reviews.

I have seen numerous instances where developers ignore bugs assigned to them but deliver a feature getting higher evaluations regardless of the quality of their work.
Pros
Lots of opportunities and technologies with interesting applications
Cons
Performance review process is a numbers game and is political in nature
Hard work, hard hours
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 27, 2017
Very rewarding and ability to learn consistently. New technologies almost weekly, never the same thing made the job interesting and enjoyable. Good times!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Hard sometimes to advance
Excellent company
Developer, Test Lead, PM (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 27, 2017
All good here. Great work culture, good mix of benefits. Employees are valued and so is their hard work.
Looking forward to an amazing time. Great diversity !
Pros
You name it
Cons
None so far
decent
PRODUCT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIOctober 26, 2017
Unfortunately, my store had been closed down and not everyone had a guaranteed spot at the other store. It wasn't the best experience during this time. Our store was great, I enjoyed it there. The other store isn't so great. I wouldn't send anyone to work there.

The work days are easy if you have worked in a fast pace place before, or retail. If not, the holidays will scare you, they get crazy.

Culture is good overall, but the other store doesn't follow the culture that Microsoft has set up.
Pros
fun
Cons
na
Productive and fun place
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 26, 2017
I've been there for my internship and found it as a very decent and nice place to work and research. Actually, I learn a lot during my internship at Microsoft and people tried to do their best in supporting you.
Pros
productivity and relaxing workplace
Great Company
Business Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 26, 2017
Great company where I grew up, but like most giant corporations, they keep the workforce young through the review process and ultimately layoffs.
HR is a public relations and marketing firm.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2