Microsoft

1.3K reviews

Microsoft Employee Reviews

Screwed up company but pay is great
Manager (Current Employee), RedmondMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great pay, nice people, snacks and drinks are free, great benefits
Cons: Will overwork you to death, no life or work balance, ineffective and lacking process, simple things like request for IT help are impossible
The most ineffective company to that I have ever seen. Unbelievable politics and inefficiencies. From the outside looking in, one would never imagine how lacking process and procedure exist here.
Great job, sad to see my contract end
Sales Support Administrator (Current Employee), cambridge, MAMay 19, 2015
I work in a great office with terrific people. I have learned a lot and wish I could stay on. I have learned quite a bit and have worked with very impressive people.
A great place to work and grow
Network Operations Center Manager (Current Employee), Bellevue, Wa.May 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits, food, work-life balance, environment, endless challenges
Cons: The interview process
Microsoft is a place that can be hard to get into, but once you're in, the opportunities are endless.

When I first started at MS, I was working for another company (Aquantive/Atlas) that was acquired by MS, and the initial transition was hectic, but after a short period of getting to know new management and some new "best practices" things resumed at their normal, yet hectic pace. After a couple years of hard work, a couple promotions and always looking ahead, it became clear that this was the place that I was meant to be.

After some internal struggles with management across MS, we got a new CEO, changed the way we look at the future and eliminated "stack ranking". I now believe that MS is one of the best possible places to work, with endless possibilities for training, development and career advancement.

Yes, it's hard to get in (the interviews are brutal), but if you know your stuff, have a passion to drive the future and like working with other like-minded individuals, don't hesitate, apply for something!
Something new to learn Everyday
Software Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester (Current Employee), Irving, TXMay 18, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Company is so far from home.
Excellent Training, great co-workers steady workflow advancement is there with up to date training on sales, customers, and also very helpful in ongoing your own personal knowledge of products and information.
Productive and Fun Place to Work, even if you are a vendor, which I was
Business Readiness CONTRACT & REVENUE MANAGER (Former Employee), Reno, NVMay 12, 2015
Flat-model management style conducive to high productivity, team spirit and continued progress and improvement. Most enjoyable part of work was the commitment to perform excellent work with top standards.
Extremely well managed company but very hard and very fast
Principal Development Lead (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 12, 2015
Pros: In the crossroads of technology; countless learning opportunities
Cons: Very intense. No work-life balance. Fiercely competitive.
You would think any company as big as Microsoft would have plenty of resources and plenty of places to hide where you could just go in, do your job and live your life. Not so at Microsoft. This is a performance-extraction machine: it is very well managed and you are measured, evaluated, stack-ranked and pushed very hard every single day. Work life balance is a joke. People work insanely hard and long hours, and they are some of the best and brightest from all over the world. Working at Microsoft is an absolutely great way to start or advance your career, but it's no cake walk. The performance review process is very telling (I was a manager so I saw how this works). All employees within a group (has to be bigger than 6 or 8, normally is about 14 - 20) get stack-ranked, literally, and put into top, medium, and bottom-ranked buckets. Someone (or several people) must fall into the bottom bucket. Those folks get a bad review. This means if you have a team of 14 absolute rock stars, there will be 2 or 3 rock stars who are shocked to receive a bad review and no bonus. Many of them leave. That's why so many really great people used to work for Microsoft. Also re-organization happens at a dizzying pace. All this said, I think very highly of Microsoft and learned a staggering amount in the 3 years I worked there. It's a bit like working on your PhD except you don't have an advisor fighting for you. In particular, if you are young, smart, hard-working and eager to soak in a fire-hose environment, Microsoft is a great place to work. I honestly think the more senior you are, the harder it is to work at Microsoft. Although I've heard Amazon is worse...
Traveling throughout the US
Deployment Support Engineer (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 9, 2015
Pros: per diem
Cons: Lack of management knowledge
Was a great experience for me. How ever the life work balance was very sided towards work.

Very understanding management.
Political environment and too much middle management layers
Software Engineer II, Bing and MSN Apps (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Talented people, tech stack
Cons: Politics, layers of middle management
There are a lot of smart and talented people working in Microsoft.
However, the culture and atmosphere is not good. Depending on the team and manager you get,
it can turn from a dream company to a nightmare. Constant re-orgs, managers' shifting and
political abuse, due to the recent RIF and too much middle layer managers.

I wouldn't recommend this company to a young and ambitious engineer. But if you can not get into
another big tech company, Microsoft is still a brand name from which you can build you resume and learn some
of the cool technologies.
Good Company to work
Service Engineer in HR and Legal IT (Former Employee), RedmondMay 7, 2015
Pros: Software tools and environment
Cons: Lot of changes with poor management.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Microsoft all these 11 years. There have been lot of changes that went on in IT. I had a great team to work with.
Great team unity, does not micro manage
2D QC Imagery Analyst (Current Employee), Boulder, COMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, soft drinks, shuffleboard, arcade games, chess, flexible schedule.
Cons: Vague about future projects and moving departments, vague about job security based on available work.
My job requires many different mini tasks. I first check my email and instant message my leads and managers to get an update on the quality control process. I work closely with my teammates to provide the best quality work we can. I learn new Microsoft applications everyday. This includes Microsoft office, Outlook, and Skype. Some of what we do is data entry and some of what we do requires detail of Bing Map's imagery.
Competitive and Political environment
Senior Business Process Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free juice, soda
Cons: No work life balance, bad politics.
Your work life balance goes down the drain when your project is close to ship date. Overall you have to deal with lot of politics especially when you are trying to maintain balance with business and technical teams.
Great work environment but lack of guidance from management
SDE (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free beverages
Cons: Lack of training and guidance
I enjoyed my 4 months working at Microsoft. The only issues I had was the lack of training to be successful at my job. Also, the lack of guidance from management and help, which made work very stressful at times.
Love working at MS
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and decent salary
Cons: No focus on work/life balance
Unfortunately, my boss left the company and I am now looking for a job both inside and outside of Microsoft.

typical day is 8-12 hours per day.
Love the people here.
Team work. Great bunch of people
Software Test Engineer III (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great bunch of people. Awesome learning environment.
Cons: Nothing
I honestly can't think of anything that I would frown upon. I loved this job. Too bad it ended. I would have stayed a very long time.
Fun work place
Sr Program Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAApril 30, 2015
Loved and enjoyed working for this company and miss working for this company. Great values and great organization to work for.
Vendor at Microsoft
MS101 Delivery Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Redmond/TelecommuterApril 30, 2015
Pros: Working from home
Working as a Event Planner/Vendor @ Microsoft for the past 10 years has been very enjoyable.

I have learned most of the Microsoft internal tools, and have confidence in creating PO's, assigning facilitators, instructors, ordering courseware, registration tools, budget management, just to name a few.

I have a strong bond with the co-workers I have collaborated with professionally.

The hardest part of the job would be making sure all the logistics would come together as a whole within the US and Internationally and the reward is that a successful event was held with next to no issues.
Stable place to work
Director (Former Employee), Redmond, WAApril 29, 2015
I worked at Microsoft before the CEO change and company changes that occurred in 2014. It was a very stable place to work, so long as you performed well.
Great depending on your manager.
Technical Advisor (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 28, 2015
Pros: Lots of resources to do job tasks
Cons: Poor management and lack of accountability to bad decisions
Company as a whole is a great place too work. Sometimes having the wrong person in a leadership position can make your job miserable since there is not great accountability for management. Other than that it is still a great place to work and offers great benefits.
Productive and Great Team
Content Project Manager (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAApril 27, 2015
A typical day at work includes creating and delivery projects to account managers, you can also be involved in other projects of your choice
Company has gone downhill
Production Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WAApril 27, 2015
Pros: 12 years ago Microsoft treated it's employees very well.
Cons: Somehow people who were willing to screw over other people to succeed in management, did just that.
Jobs at Microsoft can be good and bad, and the management chain can make all the difference. My first 8 years at Microsoft I had wonderful managers, and the job was great, a whole team working hard together and really caring about the product we put out.

At some point after several re-orgs our team got relocated under a very toxic management chain, people who'd worked for microsoft for over 20 years were quitting or getting laid off. I wound up in a management chain of career climbers who didn't care as much about the customers as they did abour producing metrics to get themselves raises and promotions. That really made the job miserable. Plus the HR department at Microsoft is terrible. Terrible policies, and clearly no understanding of how quality work gets done. They were almost as much to blame for the poor work environment as the toxic management. My first 8 years and last several were okay but there was a horrible 3-4 year stretch in there where live was miserable.
Headquarters