Microsoft

1.5K reviews

Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,106 reviews matching the search
It all depends on your team and manager
Senior SDE (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 24, 2014
Microsoft has an up or out view of the world.
You are either moving up or you are moving out of the company.
Better not to be too attached to what you are doing but view it as a way to move up and on to something else.

This unfortunately also means it's about looking better and doing more than your peers. Your review defines who you are (at Microsoft).

Expect frequent reorgs.
Different teams and managers can have very different goals and values.

Benefits are great, but expect to be a 24/7 employee in exchange.

Your immediate manager is critical to your success.
Despite the rhetoric, the new review system feels exactly like the old stack ranking system.
Pros
benefits, work with latest microsoft stuff.
Cons
frequent reorgs, cut-throat/competitive teams and orgs(no friends here). stack ranking.
Amazing
Xbox Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 26, 2014
Although "Working" as a Xbox Ambassador doesn't give pay and is totally optional to the person it does give amazing opportunities to advance in or start to get some experience in Communication Skills and Social Skills for Customer Care.

All the work you do is done by your own schedule meaning if you want you can start at 12 at night it wouldn't matter and there's no timer it's simply as if you were a Moderator answering questions and helping someone find their issues or problems and fix them.

Overall my time as a Xbox Ambassador has thought me amazing things in those two skill sets and given me a more in depth meaning of what it means to be in the Customer Care and Support business.
Pros
flexible, skills advancement, learn something new every day.
Cons
no pay it's voluntary.
Great material support, poor communicators
Lab Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2014
My daily work has been great, as I've been allowed for some time (basically until now) to work mostly remotely from my house, meaning I have a very portable job. I know that this is rare among contractors, so this has been a great thing. Their facilities are second to none. I learned a lot about Windows and the inside culture of such a large company. Management has a lot of improve on, however. They tend to promote people into management who are better served not talking to people, but to computers.

There is a culture of fear and they communicate poorly as a result.

What I liked most was the social aspect of the job when I visited.
Pros
excellent facilities, remote work
Cons
poor communication, lack of human feeling among management and co-workers.
Great work environment, difficult to maneuver career-wise.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 3, 2014
Being contracted, a consultant, and a vendor, my experience has been an interesting one. Typically hours of work are pretty flexible, the co-workers are always hard working and hospitable. My day has always been varied in experience due to the nature of the projects I've been involved in. The hardest part of my job is always the viability of the work, too many times upper management reorganizes the team/division/department and projects are completely changed (to a less important task) or altogether ended. There is a very big issues when it comes to aligning management with those below. Leading to a lot of side projects and workarounds outside the view of the team work items.
Pros
amenities, work/life balance, variety of projects
Cons
viability of projects, constant change in organizations, no clear directions, too task oriented
Burn-out central, no real "work/life" balance.
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 6, 2013
Place burns you out after a few years. They talk a lot about "work/life" balance, but it's more like work/work balance. If you have any outside interests (read: non-MS-related) that take time away from working extra hours at work then think again about working for MS. You can have some non-MS-related interests/hobbies, and you can do them outside of business hours, but due to the MS culture, you will fall behind because your peers will work extra hours outside of business hours either at work after you leave, or by working from home. The end result is they look better than you when review time comes around, and you get the negative review.
Pros
good compensation, and benefits.
Cons
"healthy competition" isn't so great if you don't eat, sleep, breathe microsoft.
Surrounded by smart people, but held back by red tape. CEO is changing MS for the better
Solution Manager (Program Manager) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2015
For the longest time, Microsoft had been a "me too" company. Despite being first to market in many areas, their products didn't seem to take hold. For a long time, the general consensus seemed to be that Microsoft didn't want to take any chances with new products coming out of MS Research and it was content integrating newer technologies as other companies came out with them.

Satya is changing that. They are now cross platform with a lot of their applications and getting into new, exciting markets. While the traditional PC market is shrinking, they have hedged their bets with other sources of income (Cloud, Big Data, etc.).
Productive and fun place with pool and pingpong tables
Microsoft Tier 3 Escalations (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 19, 2013
A typical day at work would include me clocking in at 5am, and sitting down to resolve Microsoft customers account problems ranging from Xbox to Account Management, If dealing with a billing dispute I must check and calculate funds beings requested for refund and analyze usage of the customer on the specific product. If a customer needs helps with account management I analyze the customers account security settings and proofs to validate their identity and walk them through the account recovery process. I also assist fellow team mates on pressing issues regarding customer inquires. I take a 30 minute lunch around 11:30a and continue to assist customers until 3:30pm.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
overly micromanaged/ not fulfilled intellectually
This used to be a really great company
Information Architect (Current Employee) –  RedmondJune 5, 2013
Management churn is excessive in many areas. New leadership translates to new goals, new structure and a complete reinvention of the wheel. In 18 months I have lost count, but I think we might be on re-org number 7 or 8. Morale doesn't matter in many groups any more and there are serious wolfpacks and clicks to contend with beyond politics, gossip and backstabbing. Diversity employment is preached but ignored and the fraternities force more and more women out the door each month. It is a great place to get your wings but beyond that it is the worst factory you could ever imagine.
Pros
health care on campus
Cons
work life balance, hierarchies and fraternities, politics, meaningless stock
Too much focus on being better than your colleagues
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond WAMarch 13, 2013
Generally good work environment. Some groups still have individual offices (great for accomplishing intellectual work), however other groups don't even have cubicles - just open spaces (very distracting).

Good benefits.

Most people get to work on products that have a major impact.

MAJOR, MAJOR negative: The employee rating system puts an extremely high incentive on being rated better than your teammates. It isn't enough to deliver great results - you also have a big incentive to want your teammates to perform poorly. If everyone performs well, managers are still required by explicit corporate policy to assign poor performance ratings to specified percentages of team members.
Pros
great benefits (but decreasing), get to work on interesting products
Cons
competition between colleagues
Travel, good money, no advancement, bad management
Field Tech (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 1, 2015
I work 50-60 hours a week driving recording images, mapping for the Bing project, might get 1 or 2 days off a week unless it rains or a rig is down. I work in the field alone in new cities which is adventurous.

I learned how to utilize and troubleshoot high tech equipment on the cutting edge.

Managers were inexperienced managing people. Poor communicators and unprofessional.

Coworkers were all ages, all colors, all personalities.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with a bad manager being away from home for up to 2 months, no raise, no advancement.

Most enjoyable was money and benefits which were good, everything paid for, being able to experience cities I've never been to working in tandem.
Great Company, Great benefits, Great working environment.
Customer Service Representative. (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 3, 2013
Hello,

I enjoy my job greatly. Our line of business deals with IT companies and Development Companies with Microsoft Software that we provide their organizations. I answer about 30-45 calls per day in a call center environment. My co-workers make this job a real joy as well. The managers as well as my co-workers are friendly and help me succeed in my job by providing me with positive criticism and a friendly working environment. The hardest thing for me working for this company is the commute. The most enjoyable part of my job is turning a negative customer experience into a positive one. Also by receiving positive feedback through customer survey's, in which the customer rates my overall customer care and service. It's good to know that I am having a positive impact on my customers.
Pros
great medical benefits, solid company
Cons
commute
Live Video Sales Associate
Live Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WAJune 3, 2015
Friendly Sales environment where we do don't cold calling, our customers find us via the website for a live video chat and they have the option to talk with us or to type. Typically we get to talk with everyone from all over the nation on a regular basis, have a good product knowledge and also learn about new products on the fly. The fast paced job keeps us busy and we keep up a good attitude. We deal with everything from sales to light trouble shooting for technical issues, being able to redirect in a very friendly, sympathetic/empathetic way.

Everyone is friendly and very understanding, we get a long, being a small team that started with just a handful of us for a project that was a pilot that is now going full time.
Pros
Team Lead, Friendly Management
Dog Eat Dog Environment
Onboarding Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 26, 2014
The company as a whole provides is enjoyable. But the department in which I work (Office 365 Onboarding Center) is not. The project is new and the management consists of people thrown together from other departments. All eyes are on the project as it may change the way business is done from a customer service standpoint.

There is no cohesiveness due to everyone clamoring for the spotlight. Leads and managers were not trained for their positions but thrown into them to save them from layoffs from other departments.

The project as a whole was rushed, therefore missing the start date promised to customers by a full month. Partners and account managers were not properly notified which causes confusion on the customer end. In short, the whole project is a joke.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
environment, favoritism, racism, sexism
Productive and Educated, Vibrant Atmosphere
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJuly 10, 2013
•Consistent 9 hour work days, 5 days per week. Varied week to week due to retail regulations.

•Learned excessive amounts of Microsoft Products including Office, Windows Phone 8, Xbox, world-class customer service to all customers with vibrant personalities and salesmanship .
•Ability to provide additional educational classes and personal trains. other retailers fail to deliver.
•We took great pride in helping each customer by providing the best possible experience to all types of customers, varying from young adolescent children to old retirees.
•Exhibited fun and evolving gaming tournaments.
•the hordes part was simply, not having fun.
Pros
free soft drinks, free lunches occasionally and for all big events.
It is what you make it.
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WASeptember 28, 2015
I've been with Microsoft for 15 years now. I've had amazing opportunities to work on great projects and programs with outstanding people. We still get free soda. There are some great off-the-beaten-path benefits that really add to the quality of life around you.

I have always heard that you needed to move around to get ahead. I think that may be true because, while my advancement and compensation has been fine, it hasn't been magical. I think that, had I moved around more, worked in more groups, met more people, I would likely have moved further up the ladder.

Having said that, my team is awesome, the work I do is special and I really get a kick out of working at this place!
Great place to develop a career
Game Designer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 23, 2015
Most of the jobs and work at Microsoft are very rewarding with great people to learn from and opportunities for advancement.

The company is huge, so there are many roles a person could perform, and changing roles periodically is actually encouraged.

However, even with the new management in place, the review model is not good and promotes competition over cooperation. For some people that is preferred, but it detracts from creating a healthy team and company culture.

Ultimately, everyone is a number, and the size of the corporation can undermine the value of people. Some teams are better than others and the quality of the team managers makes all the difference.
Pros
money, variety, advancement for some, amenities
Cons
just a number, no real job security, competitive environment at all costs
Strong talent pool
Enterprise Technology Strategist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 22, 2014
Microsoft has a strong talent pool. However they continue to use the stack ranking system for performance increases.

It was interesting covering international offices within the company. However time zone work hours are strictly adhered internationally, while the US is expect to be available within their working hours; So scheduling business calls around the clock, 6 to 12 times a month was the norm.

The resources that are available to get your job done are outstanding! If you needed to talk to a developer or VP about anything. everyone made themselves available.
Pros
everyone had this team approach to solving issues
Cons
the lack of work life balance. yes they talk about, but not delivered on
Excellent work/life balance with smart people
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 12, 2014
Microsoft is an excellent place for an intern.
The company treats interns extremely well, and there are so many ways to connect with people and do cool things outside of work.

Awesome thing about both my internships was that I got to choose what I worked on. The manager, mentor, and co-workers are all extremely supportive, and constantly remind you that this experience is for me to learn and grow (and their actions actually follow that statement).

The only thing I disliked about the company (or at least my team), was that not many people seemed passionate. This would be an excellent place to work if stability and work/life balance is the top priority (like seriously, I can't imagine a better place).
Pros
work/life balance, environment, freedom
It's a life; not a job.
Premier Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 14, 2014
The good:
The pace of learning is fast - there's always a new product version under development. Compensation and salary are competitive with the industry. Thinking outside the box and creating new ideas and processes is encouraged and rewarded appropriately.

The bad:
Management talks a lot of talk about teamwork, but the review system places employees in direct competition with each other via closed-session stack ranking. Not a place for a person content to just come in and do a good job. Your advancement and longevity prospects within the company will be determined by what you accomplish outside your immediate job description and by how much attention you're are able to bring to that.
Gained a lot of experience and loved building a team in a new fast paced sector of MS
Team Lead-Microsoft Retail Stores Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 2, 2015
A typical day at work would be having a set task lists including reviewing of accounting processes. These would be Credit Card Chargeback Reporting, Cash Reconciliation Review, Journal Entry Review. I learned a lot about Corporate Accounting and developed a skill set in Accounts Receivables and Cash Management. I learned how to research and fix misapplied funds and use what I learned to educate the team. My co-workers were incredible, supportive and we would help each other out a lot. The hardest part of my job was termination and performance issues involving employees. The most enjoyable part of my job was the fast pace, the continual knowledge, new processes and flexibility.