Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,761 reviews matching the search
Fun Work Envrionment
Consumer Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 9, 2016
I love coming into work because everyone is so much fun to work with in all departments. Whether its in inventory, leadership, techs, I absolutely love working in a high energy groups. Making friends and meeting new people is what I am currently experiencing now here at Microsoft. Microsoft provides me many opportunities to gain experience in to better my career future.
Pros
Meeting new people, working in teams, great benefits
Contractor for Microsoft - Turn 10
Vehicle Artists (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 20, 2016
My day to day interaction with other artist was low stress and amicable, but there was no structure for promotion or increased compensation for performance or more responsibility. There was also a concerted effort on the part of management and Microsoft to keep salaries and compensation hidden to obscure the inequality the was rampant in the studios salaries.
Pros
Good work life balance compared to many game studios
Cons
Massive disconnect amongst the contractors between responsibility and compensation.
Great Environment, Management Lacking
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 12, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. The environment was great. All the resources I needed to do my job were provided when I needed them. Great perks on campus. My only issue was the senior management. The lower management was great. They were helpful, and there to answer questions or help with whatever you needed. An open door as it should be. The upper management was seriously out of touch. The director at my group gave four days notice that we might be laid off. We were supposed to receive additional details the following day, but he decided to take a trip to Disneyland instead. Needless to say, we were informed of the layoff on Tuesday and out the door that Friday. Totally messed up.
Pros
Tons of on campus perks, drinks, cafeterias, etc.
Cons
Work pace was actually a little slow, surprising lack of knowledge from some of the senior engineers.
Great culture, people are eager to help.
Network Engineer/Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 12, 2016
Great benefits
A very large company so change is sometimes slow to occur.
Great services and Software.
Excellent Managers and Senior Leaders.
Great company with growth opportunity!
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 6, 2016
Working at Microsoft has been amazing. The culture is in everything that we do. You really do end up loving the company once you join the team.

In a retail environment I have seen several pears grow and get promoted to management positions and corporate positions.
Pros
work life balance is amazing, benefits are fantastic even for part time
Cons
as a retail sales associate pay leave a bit to be desired, management can make you hate your job or love your job
Great pay and benefits, tough political environment
PRINCIPAL GROUP PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 17, 2016
Microsoft delivers great pay, and awesome benefits; however, needs to get better at collaboration and teamwork. The hardest part of the job is working outside of your own team. The single exception to this - and bright spot of Microsoft as a whole - is Skype. This team has a completely different culture, and one founded on great collaboration between the teams.
Great workplace
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2016
Great workplace with room for advancement. Working for Microsoft was eventful, different, and a varied experience.While management was not as attentive as possible, the executives are extremely open to new ideas,
Pros
Culture and product development
Cons
Management, consistency, and compensation
Overall, the pros outweigh the cons
UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 23, 2016
As a UX Design contractor and first time position as a UX designer, I have found Microsoft to be a better overall place to work than expected. It has been a great place to learn and grow and I have found the culture to be slightly dull but overall professional, comfortable and fairly diverse. I think they still struggle on many teams in implementing UX in an effective way, but I see effort on my team at least in trying to work toward UX lead processes and getting everyone else to get with the program.
Pros
Laid back culture, a lot of freedom
Cons
Not enough processes and clear goals set by upper management
Great Company to Work For
Financial Analyst/Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 19, 2017
Hands down, Microsoft is the one of the best companies to work for - period! I love this company. The culture encourages creativity and the amount of learning you gain is priceless.
Pros
Great experience working with some of the smartest people out there.
Cons
Work-Life Balance not so great.
Great Company, Bad Middle Management
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 1, 2017
Amazingly smart people trying to change the culture to be more innovative. Middle management is more protective of their jobs, than interested in the advancement of the next generation. Unfortunate.
Life at Microsoft
3CP MPP Governance Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 23, 2017
An excellent company to work for. Very passionate people and dedicated leadership team. The company has become one of the most innovative teach companies. The hardest part of the job is understanding how to navigate the organization.
Pros
Great work culture and leadership team
Cons
Work life balance can be a challange at times
Good company
Principal Manager of Azure SRE & LiveSite (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 3, 2016
I had been Microsoft 6 years. Very good company:

Good Job Work/Life Balance
Good Compensation/Benefits
Good Job Security/Advancement (if you want to reallocate to Redmond)
Good Management
Good Job Culture
Pros
reorg to adjust to the right direction
Cons
too many reorgs
fun work place free taxi rides,drinks.pool table and ping pong to play
(GSAM)-Data analyst (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 30, 2016
no work pressure
equal opportunities
management is professional
co worker from different back ground learn so much about other cultures
hardest part is when you have to repeat commands data and so much same and same thing over 300 or 400 times and if you make a single mistake have to restart the whole process
learned so much about Microsoft tools
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
medical benefits, sick leaves etc
fun
Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 12, 2016
really fun place to work. lots of perks. great benefits. breakroom and culture are awesome. really try to take care of employees, love the things they try to do
Some good people
Program Manager II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 21, 2017
At Microsoft I was able to own the domain I worked in. That said, you have to be able to compromise your belief in delivering a great product in order to work for some managers who are most interested in career advancement. If you are adept at politics and compromise, you will do well.
Pros
Some good, smart people to work with and learn from.
Cons
Politics result in average results.
Excellent company
Product Feedback Analyst (Former Employee) –  RedmondJune 23, 2016
Flexibility of hours, Open communication, Nice relaxed job culture, Freedom to experiment with different solutions, Lunch options aplenty, Medical benefits excellent,
Good Compensation and Work-life Balance
Sr. Program/Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJune 11, 2016
Overall, good compensation and work-life balance. It is in transformational stage, lots of uncertainties and negative stress at times.
Challenging and rewarding
3D Technical Artist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 30, 2016
It was the greatest work experience I have had to date. I was exploited for my skills and talents and laid off when the developers found a more cost effective way to do my job but that is business.
Pros
competitive Compensation
Cons
not stable
Great place to work with Great people
DELIVERY RESOURCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXJanuary 25, 2017
A very flexible work environment. Training on site, Great culture with great people who care about placing others in a position to succeed.
Pros
Business casual dress, flexible, good pay
Cons
lack work life balance
Great place to work, lots of places to go
Build Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 30, 2016
Microsoft has made a lot of changes recently to help work work/life balance and taking care of its employees. It's a great place to work with lots of opportunities for advancement or career change.