Middlesex County College Employee Reviews

A fun place to work. Opportunities are there to grow both academically and administratively.
Associate Chairperson, Natural Sciences (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 5, 2017
Routine management of 15 full time and >50 adjunct faculty; scheduling and staffing nearly 150 sections of courses in chemistry, physics, geology, and general sciences. Other responsibilities include:teaching evaluation of faculty members, adjunct recruitment, mentoring/training, resolving students issues, transcript evaluation, departmental activities, planning/ordering “state of the art” research instruments, course level and program level assessment, curriculum development, research project development, driving new initiatives, staff supervision, institutional services, institutional advancement, outreach, and facility/lab management. Developed and implemented undergraduate research program in the department of Natural Sciences at MCC. Acquired strong management skills. Workplace culture is very rewarding in such academic institution. For example,
over a period of four years, I supervised and mentored 25 chemistry and biology major students to complete their research projects and trained them how to present their results at state and regional meetings. The most enjoyable part of this job is the constant interactions with students of diverse background and fellow academic instructors. The hardest part of this job is to keep up the balance between personal life and work load of this assignment.
Multiculturally Diverse
Student Worker, Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJuly 25, 2016
Working with students from across the globe, from different cultures and diverse backgrounds, was a very fruitful experience.
Student Teacher Associate
Assist students (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJuly 7, 2016
I worked at MCC for a minimum of 8 hours per week and my schedule was set according to my classes at NJIT. My job was to make sure I look over computer labs and assist students whenevr they needed help with anything. The work was very easy and the staff is friendly. If I had problems going in for work, all I needed to do was send an email to my supervisor and I am good to go.
Good Review
GED Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 20, 2016
This is a good position, but my grant is losing funding this year. This is why i am currently looking for a new job. The management is very good. However the students sometimes do not want to be there in the classroom and this can be difficult.
Pros
Health Benfits
Cons
Low pay
Great work environment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 15, 2016
I learned a lot working as a Work Study. Great school and also great management. Being a Work Study taught me how to work independently and efficently.
Great place to work, fun enviroment.
Shipping & Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 8, 2016
I learned so much here at the college. My co-workers are great hard working people.The most enjoyable part of my job is when after a hard day we all feel a sense of accomplishment. I love the teamwork part of a job.
Quick and easy
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work was not hard it was easy but tedious, the day went by quick though.
What I learned was how much more there is then just the tubes and chemicals , there's more of a process and caution when dealing in the biology department.
The management was good they help when needed and trained well.
My co workers were hard working and friendly we got along very well and worked faster together.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes I did not know what a certain item was and could not find it.
the most enjoyable part was doing the mixtures and seeing what was used in the different labs. For example there was this one lab that needed to use human bones and the departments had some fake and real ones, which was interesting to know, see and touch.
Pros
It was my first job experience
Cons
there werent any cons
The experience inspired me to become a teacher
Office Assistant/Student Laboratory Aide (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJApril 21, 2016
It gave me an opportunity to work with students and really gave me the inspiration for my chosen career path. The hours were not too long and allowed me to socialize with students and coworkers. Scheduling may be a bit of a work but it was quite worth it.The most enjoyable part of the job was when I get to communicate with international students and helped them out with their concerns.
Pros
Close enough from home and get to work with students
Cons
Minimal pay
Per diem class instruction
Trainer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 24, 2016
This per diem position at a quality county college enables me to maintain a strong proficiency level of computer skills.
Pros
Interesting, Variable
Cons
Dependent on Government grant process.
A great opportunity for college students to gain administrative experience
Office Assistant-Work Study (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at the financial aid office consists of helping students both over the phone and in person. I was also assigned projects by directors and administrators of other departments as well as my own. As a work study I benefited very much from being able to view things from a student's perspective, as well as a staff member's perspective. I learned many valuable office and customer service skills which I believe will be important assets for me in the future. I became very close with my fellow work studies, however, after a while I realized that some members of the management staff in the office were not as efficient and helpful as they could be. The hardest part of the job for me was learning to focus less on every tiny detail when I should be paying more attention to the big picture when it came to projects that were assigned to me, as well as helping students with all of their financial aid questions, concerns and needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was, of course, helping students; there is no greater feeling in the world than being told how kind and helpful you are as a worker.
Pros
Convenient location and flexible work hours that catered to my busy class schedule
Cons
Not enough hours available for me to work
The glass ceiling has never been so clear
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 19, 2016
No raises, no advancement, no full-time. Complete dead-end. If you are passionate about education and helping people, this is only good experience for getting hired at a better rate somewhere else.
(If you speak your mind and point out the bureaucracy, you get labeled as crazy and management lets everyone know it.)
Pros
You can be a no-call no-show and not get fired because management is lax in their duties, especially if you tutor math or science
Cons
no raises, no benefits, no advancement, no full-time opportunities
Great place to work, would recommend
AutoCAD Tutor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 12, 2016
See review summary. Just filling out a 20 word minimum again. Still not comfortable with the review itself being forced, but I'll play ball.
Pros
Fun environment, Great client base
Cons
No room for advancement, pretty much solid part time gig, and at time of leaving: no more raises for part timers
Great environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 20, 2016
A family environment department to work for. The faculty are very pleasant and hardworking. Working with the Chairman has been a wide opening but overall pleasant also to work with.
Benefits
Cons
No advisement
Awesome place
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 7, 2016
Very good place to work in. You get to meet a lot of people. The hardest part of the job is the yearly inventory but it is also good because no matter your post, you have a section to do inventory on. Meaning basically that the work is distributed equally. A typical day at work is being at the circulation desk and helping out students and taking care of any other issues the students might have.
Pros
Staff lounge, Great co-workers
Amazing Opportunity During College
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 16, 2015
I worked here for 4 years while getting my Bachelor's Degree. I was provided with a flexible schedule as well as networking and support opportunities.
Excellent place to work and excellent center of higher education
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJAugust 24, 2015
Wonderful workplace where I have learned so many different aspects of business and the higher education field. The hardest part of the job is the physical labor, but the benefits are to be unmatched.
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJJune 18, 2015
This is a great job to have and continue your career in no matter what you see yourself doing. Everyone is so friendly and it makes you job a little bit easier
Fast paced, Organized, Work-Study
Financial Aid Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 5, 2015
In the past, I was a Financial Aid officer where I assisted students seeking to complete their financial aid forms to get assistance while they receive a college education. My goal was to establish trust, communicate effectively, and being extremely organized when dealing with sensitive paperwork. In conclusion, I want to grow professionally and socially. I am a hard worker and I take pride in quality work
Productive work enveriorment and great place to learn
Orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 19, 2015
A typical work day for myself would be going to work everything is organized and co-workers are working at a steady pace.
Flexible work
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 14, 2015
Workplace is very nice.
Flexible work hours since I'm studying as well.
The most enjoyable part is I get to help students with their lessons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Middlesex County College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3