Midland College Employee Reviews

Part Time position
Accounting Lab Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Midland, TXJune 10, 2015
Pros: Great Job
Cons: None
Assisted students with homework and tutorials
Supervised test and graded homework
Prepared monthly inventory reports
Very stressful but a great job!!!
Head Coach, Men's Basketball (Former Employee), Midland, TexasOctober 14, 2014
Pros: learned how to win and coach
Cons: very high expectations
I started my coaching career here and it was a great experience. WINNING is the only thing that matters at MIdland College.
Great environment, great people, rewarding career
Math Tutor (Former Employee), MidlandSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: helped students receive better grades in mathematics
Fantastic working environment. Schedules were kept organized and students generally came to appointments on time. The best part of being a math tutor was helping students get A's in class and on tests. It was a very rewarding job. The hardest part of the job was understanding everyone's different learning styles and being able to adapt to them.
Prductive and fun place to work
Secretary (Part Time) (Current Employee), Midland, TXJuly 18, 2014
Pros: very professional but cordial and considerate staff
Cons: is not a full time position
While being a productive and fun place to work, I need to work full time.
I have learned about one of the federal grant trio programs, now 50 years old, to help combat poverty and promote education to low income and first generation graduates.
Management is encouraging, awesome and eager to answer any question which I have had allowing me to learn. And there is a lot to learn.
I could not ask for a better set of co-workers, they are all great. I really can't come up with the "hardest" part of the job. There are different areas to cover on any given day and variety probably makes it the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great college work experience!
Spanish Computer Lab Administrator (Former Employee), Midland, TexasJune 22, 2014
Pros: great pay. creative atmosphere.
Co-workers were great! Nice setting and management was well organized.
Continuing Education Instructor (Former Employee), Midland, TXMay 14, 2013
Worked as teacher of Continuing education on computers, taught adult in Wordperfect, Excel,
Challenging position with room for innovation
Residence Hall Manager - David Daniel Hall (Former Employee), Midland, TXApril 15, 2013
Pros: free meals at the caff, housing included, utilities paid, free high-speed internet/wifi//cable, no commute
Cons: stressful environment, living at work, no pets, management doesn't always "have our backs"
= A typical day...
begins with checking on the front desk worker to see what is new and ensure they are clear on what needs to be done. Then checking e-mail and voice-mail to make a list of managerial tasks for our day. Before 5pm check the "on-call schedule" to see whom is on-call that evening (on-call lasts from 5pm - 8am), then prepare accordingly. You should always be reachable in the event of an emergency, on-call or not.

On-call: in the event that a worker doesn't show, an emergency happens (fire, flood, fighting, or blood), or contraband is suspected in the building you must be available to handle the situation and summon another manager to assist you.

= What I learned...
How to handle fast-paced situations calmly and how to dynamically arrange and rearrange directives, paperwork, and methods to fit the situation. Conflict management.

= Management...
Managers can make bad choices too; it is better to uphold company policy than to be in the favor of one's boss. Know the regulations inside and out so a thoroughly informed decision can be made when needed.

= Co-workers...
Even senior employees can be mistaken. Avoid gossip as a rule, office politics is a dangerous pastime.

= The hardest part of the job...
Living at work. We're contractually required to live in the provided apartment in our designated dorm... it is very difficult to "just be at home". Managers are not allowed pets,of any kind and only immediate family or spouses can live with you, which can get very lonely.

= The most enjoyable part of the job...
The room for improvement/innovation. The process may be slow, but if you can clearly show the benefit to the students/department of an "improvement" management is usually supportive.
College is a wonderful place to find yourself
BIOLOGY INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Midland, TexasNovember 2, 2012
Pros: teaching students
Cons: part-time job
College atmosphere bring out the motivator in me. Good to know that I've helped push young minds into getting an education or making adult decisions deciding against a formal college education. The world is full of learning experiences and I don't want students to get trapped into college based programs they don't feel inspired to do for a long time.
Relaxed and not stressful
Receptionist (Former Employee), Midland, TXOctober 17, 2012
I loved working here, dealing with people is what I love the most. I answered phones all day along with setting up appointments for five counselor. My co-workers and I worked as a team so nobody took in more than they could handle.
Midland College
TESTING CENTER COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Midland, TXJune 15, 2012
Pros: i worked with good people
Cons: there are no free lunches!
Good place to work- benefits, vacations, etc.
First-class junior college.
Productive workplace condusive to a learning environment.
Math Tutor and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Midland, TXMay 15, 2012
As a working student at Midland College the job was flexible around student schedules. The main duty of the job was to assist in teaching other students college algebra, whether in the math lab or as a teaching assistant to a requesting professor. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was helping the students understand the course work. Course material had to be explained to each student in a different way to help them understand the mathematical operations they were carrying out.