Midland College Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive place, flexable with hours
LRC (GPL) LAB MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Midland County, TXJuly 18, 2017
I love working for Midland college It's a perfect balance between work and home. However, the pay just wasn't reasonable for my bills. I've worked here thought my whole college experience and have gained so much knowledge.
Pros
Flexable hours, balanced, organized
Cons
short working hours, no vacation days or benefits for part-time employees.
Flexible hours to balance kids and job
RESOURCE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 9, 2017
This is a great place to work, the schedule works well with my kids' schedules so that I am off when they are during the holidays. I do all the office work from answering phones to designing a schedules. The workplace is pleasant for the most part, but with all the everyday things I do I feel i don't get enough pay. I enjoy my job most of the time because I do my job well.
Pros
flexible hours and long holidays
Cons
Low Salary
Associate Professor
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 31, 2016
I loved this job. I spent every day teaching students and working to help them achieve their education goals.

My day to day involved preparing lessons and then teaching those lessons to students. I chose textbooks, worked to increase recruitment for our program, and built classes to help students find jobs in the energy industry.
Success for All
Student Success Instructor (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 31, 2016
A typical day at Midland College involves me having the pleasure of interacting with new students at Midland College. I have learned how complicated enrolling in college can be for non-traditional students. The hardest part of the job is motivating students to take personal responsibility for their education, however, I continue to lead by example for my students. The most enjoyable part of this job is being a part of others' decisions to reach for and attain their dreams.
Relaxed but professional enviroment
Human Resources Aide (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 29, 2016
Not one stress filled encounter while employed. Able to adapt to the work flow, ask pertinent questions all while observing my supervisor handle all within her job description plus some.
Pros
Fast pace yet peaceful work flow
Cons
Being the pinnacle of communication within the HR Dept
Challenging and rewarding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 14, 2016
I enjoyed working for the college. I was able to learn a lot and challenge myself. I stepped out of my comfort zone here and grew. My manager was a challenge, but I learned how to persevere.
Pros
Flexibility
Helping people gain knowlege
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 5, 2016
Working with students on a one to one basis on a variety of subjects is interesting because you get a view into the lives of others very different from yourself
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
students who do not show up and do not feel you have anything to offer..
What I have learned
LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXDecember 7, 2015
Responsible for the daily operation of laboratories in support of the Utilities Department.
Maintains the laboratory supply inventory and orders replacement equipment and supplies as necessary. Maintains records of data for future use.
great employer and amazing co workers
Part Time Proctor (Former Employee) –  Fort Stockton, TXJune 17, 2015
I worked there for 4 years and the work was amazing. All the people who work there love the students and try everyday to implement new ways to make the student experience better.
Part Time position
Accounting Lab Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 10, 2015
Assisted students with homework and tutorials
Supervised test and graded homework
Prepared monthly inventory reports
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Very stressful but a great job!!!
Head Coach, Men's Basketball (Former Employee) –  Midland, TexasOctober 14, 2014
I started my coaching career here and it was a great experience. WINNING is the only thing that matters at MIdland College.
Pros
Learned how to win and Coach
Cons
Very high expectations
Great environment, great people, rewarding career
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  MidlandSeptember 17, 2014
Fantastic working environment. Schedules were kept organized and students generally came to appointments on time. The best part of being a math tutor was helping students get A's in class and on tests. It was a very rewarding job. The hardest part of the job was understanding everyone's different learning styles and being able to adapt to them.
Pros
Helped students receive better grades in mathematics
Prductive and fun place to work
Secretary (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 18, 2014
While being a productive and fun place to work, I need to work full time.
I have learned about one of the federal grant trio programs, now 50 years old, to help combat poverty and promote education to low income and first generation graduates.
Management is encouraging, awesome and eager to answer any question which I have had allowing me to learn. And there is a lot to learn.
I could not ask for a better set of co-workers, they are all great. I really can't come up with the "hardest" part of the job. There are different areas to cover on any given day and variety probably makes it the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Very professional but cordial and considerate staff
Cons
Is not a full time position
Great college work experience!
Spanish Computer Lab Administrator (Former Employee) –  Midland, TexasJune 22, 2014
Co-workers were great! Nice setting and management was well organized.
Pros
Great pay. Creative atmosphere.
Continuing Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 14, 2013
Worked as teacher of Continuing education on computers, taught adult in Wordperfect, Excel,
Cons
Challenging position with room for innovation
Residence Hall Manager - David Daniel Hall (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 15, 2013
= A typical day...
begins with checking on the front desk worker to see what is new and ensure they are clear on what needs to be done. Then checking e-mail and voice-mail to make a list of managerial tasks for our day. Before 5pm check the "on-call schedule" to see whom is on-call that evening (on-call lasts from 5pm - 8am), then prepare accordingly. You should always be reachable in the event of an emergency, on-call or not.

On-call: in the event that a worker doesn't show, an emergency happens (fire, flood, fighting, or blood), or contraband is suspected in the building you must be available to handle the situation and summon another manager to assist you.

= What I learned...
How to handle fast-paced situations calmly and how to dynamically arrange and rearrange directives, paperwork, and methods to fit the situation. Conflict management.

= Management...
Managers can make bad choices too; it is better to uphold company policy than to be in the favor of one's boss. Know the regulations inside and out so a thoroughly informed decision can be made when needed.

= Co-workers...
Even senior employees can be mistaken. Avoid gossip as a rule, office politics is a dangerous pastime.

= The hardest part of the job...
Living at work. We're contractually required to live in the provided apartment in our designated dorm... it is very difficult to "just be at home". Managers are not allowed pets,of any kind and only immediate family or spouses can live with you, which can get very lonely.

= The most enjoyable part of the job...
The room for improvement/innovation. The process may
  more... be slow, but if you can clearly show the benefit to the students/department of an "improvement" management is usually supportive.  less
Pros
free meals at the caff, housing included, utilities paid, free high-speed internet/wifi//cable, no commute
Cons
stressful environment, living at work, no pets, management doesn't always "have our backs"
College is a wonderful place to find yourself
BIOLOGY INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Midland, TexasNovember 2, 2012
College atmosphere bring out the motivator in me. Good to know that I've helped push young minds into getting an education or making adult decisions deciding against a formal college education. The world is full of learning experiences and I don't want students to get trapped into college based programs they don't feel inspired to do for a long time.
Pros
teaching students
Cons
part-time job
Relaxed and not stressful
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 17, 2012
I loved working here, dealing with people is what I love the most. I answered phones all day along with setting up appointments for five counselor. My co-workers and I worked as a team so nobody took in more than they could handle.
Midland College
TESTING CENTER COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 15, 2012
Good place to work- benefits, vacations, etc.
First-class junior college.
Pros
i worked with good people
Cons
there are no free lunches!
Productive workplace condusive to a learning environment.
Math Tutor and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 15, 2012
As a working student at Midland College the job was flexible around student schedules. The main duty of the job was to assist in teaching other students college algebra, whether in the math lab or as a teaching assistant to a requesting professor. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was helping the students understand the course work. Course material had to be explained to each student in a different way to help them understand the mathematical operations they were carrying out.