Midland States Bank Employee Reviews

Great place depending on the department
CCC (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 12, 2017
Midland is a great place to work. Good pay. Good hours. Several benefits. It all depends on the department though. The Customer Care Center has constant turnover. In 2016 alone 7 people left the 10 member team. There is constant change in policies and these are not spelled out or even written down. Managers micromanage and are constantly prying into employees personal lives.
Pros
Pay, Hours, Holidays off
Different Work Culture and Manager Coaching doesn't exist
Project Coordinator/Operational Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJanuary 25, 2017
No training or procedures were provided. You had learn on your own and no overtime was allowed, yet job must be completed. Promotions were not shared with you individually, but in a group meeting and no raises was given with the promotion.
Good Job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Princeton, ILJanuary 6, 2017
Great place to work with nice co-workers and good benefits. It is a good variety of job skills to be used and we are constantly being tested on bank products and services.
Pros
Good group of employees
Cons
Closing branches and changing hours
Management issues, Constant turnover
PB (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 24, 2017
Midland has some great people but some major issues. Constant internal operational issues which lead to a stressful work environment. Management manages under pressure, not from true leadership styles. The turnover in the branch and customer care (call center) is an issue. This is the team that is the face of the company and it is constantly changing. The management team in that department has no accountability.
Pros
Pay, bank holidays, time off
Cons
Management, high turnover rate, training (lack of comprehensive, ongoing training)
Do not work for this company
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJanuary 20, 2017
If you are looking for a company that does not know right from wrong, then look no further. MSB is a good bank but the management is horrendous. Everyone is trying to figure out what they are supposed to be doing with absolutely no guidance from upper management all the way to branch staff. There are no set policies so management just makes it up as they go. Positively the worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
upper management, stability, knowledge
Great place to work!
Quality Control Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILMarch 22, 2016
Awesome co-workers and staff. Everyone is very driven and willing to help each other out when needed. Work life balance is great. It's really nice to work in a small department but feel very robust and contribute to the goals and initiatives of the company. The bank itself is forward thinking and always looking to grow but still manages to maintain a small town feel through a great culture. There is definitely growth opportunity and the ability to define your own career path with Midland.
Pros
Benefit package and bonus structure, jean days, employee fun days
Midland is a great bank
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 25, 2014
MSB is a great company to work. Not the perfect fit for employees to take initiative or prefer to take charge. Management is very involved, yet communication is still a large concern. The company is very interested in an evolving group culture, but has a slight internal struggle with changed process or responsibility shifting in certain areas. The company is growing at a rapid speed.
Pros
Great compensation and group culture
Cons
Lack of communication & lengthy amount of time for increased vacation time
value based company, fun environment, plenty of opportunity for advancement!
Teller (Current Employee) –  Farina, ILJuly 29, 2013
Great hours, great management, great benefits! Quartly contests, community friendly, great values and customer service.
Good company
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  IlliinoisFebruary 3, 2016
Midland rewards long term employees. Is working on company culture to line up with what upper management would like to see. I have learned so much from working at Midland.
Horrible place to work.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILApril 23, 2014
I had anxiety attacks after working here. The management is horrible. They pick favorites and those people get the good hours and they look past their mistakes. If you aren't a favorite, they will give you horrible hours and ride you about every single mistake you make.
The hours were not great, although "bankers hours" are a thing of the past. We would have to work 6 days a week and still not get 40 hours. When we were open on Sundays, we would have to work 13 days in a row. In the Effingham location we had to move from branch to branch in town and I did not like that. You didn't get to know the customers because you we never in the same place. I felt like the bank looked at customers as a number and the employees a machine. They didn't really care about either one.
When they hire you, they promise you it will be easy to get promoted, but it most definitely is not. The men were promised promotions, and did indeed receive them, most of the women however did not.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, hours, feeling like "just a number"
A fun and rewarding work environment
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 27, 2015
Midland is such an awesome company to work for. They are a community bank which makes it feel like they treat you on a more personal level, if you are a customer and an employee. The New Hire Orientation was really informative and was awesome because the CEO comes and talks to each individual.

My overall experience has been wonderful and I've learned a lot working here. Everyone is so friendly and more people should want to work here because of the work environment is relaxing, but rewarding. It is also very busy and can be stressful some days.
Good institution to work for
Universal Banker II (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MissouiSeptember 15, 2015
MIdland is a great, competitive employer. You learn a lot to advance to any position you'd like inside of the baking world. It is a community bank that is growing rapidly. You must be sales oriented to be successful there.
I loved my position here.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Freeburg, ILAugust 26, 2013
I enjoyed the people I worked with and especially enjoyed making my customers happy. I really miss this job, due to the economic deflation they had to reduce their management staff. I had four employees that worked under me, we had a lot of fun, while assisting our customers with the highest level of privacy and priority to meet al their financial needs.
Pros
Gettig to know our customers on a personal level
A GREAT Community Based Bank
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  ILFebruary 6, 2013
Corporately based in Effingham, IL, Midland States Bank is small enough to give you a great community bank feeling, but big enough to meet all of your banking needs (for both commercial and consumer clients).
I have worked in the banking industry for many years and I love working for Midland!
Pros
great management with a trusting open door policy
stable income
Full-time Customer Service Representative/teller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, IllinoisAugust 30, 2012
very slow paced.
got along very well with coworkers, but customers were not always friendly. i liked working with the public, but dealt with dissatisfied customers was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
stability
Cons
lack of management
Ever Changing
Loan Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 24, 2015
When I was first hired on as a Loan Originator my actual title and job duties were for Loan Production Assistant. I was advised after my 90 days I could choose to be either a Loan Originator or Loan Production Assistant. I very much enjoy being a Loan Production Assistant, but the company previously known as Heartland Bank Mortgage merged with Midland States Bank and now I am being forced into a Loan Originator role while still doing my Loan Production Assistant duties as well as Loan Origination. Since the merger, there are things going on within the company that I do not agree with. I have a very strong work ethic, integrity and follow company guidelines and procedures. However, not everyone there shares the same, yet they are being treated with favoritism.

I love the people I work with, I just do not like the fact that I was hired on being told one thing and now being forced into a position I do not desire to be in.

I'm looking to work for a company that will not be sold or bought out by another company (e.g. USAA, Wells Fargo, Chase Bank, etc). I am looking for job stability, a company that follows their own policies and procedures and has room for growth and advancement.

For these reasons, I am searching for other job opportunities.
Pros
People, working directly with customers and building those business relationships
Cons
Bank being bought out over 5 times and once since I've been employed there, Being hired on as a Loan Originator but performing other duties (e.g. Loan Production Assistant), job titles changing for employees but still in their current roles, company not following policy and procedures
ok place to work
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 4, 2015
this was a good place to work lots of fun with people from all over the world to deal with is this enough typing I hope so company is great
Very productive workplace
Part-time Teller (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be handling customer transactions such as depositing money and doing cashier's checks or making payments on loans for customers. Overall not a hard job and the employees were enjoyable to work with.
Great company
Manager - Merchant Services Operations (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILApril 14, 2015
Highly recommended place to work. They will fight for you. They care about their customers and employees. Growing company.
Universal Banker
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ILApril 1, 2015
customer service, do daily transactions for customers, open an close accounts, maintance on accounts, balance of checkbooks, daily reports.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midland States Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9