Midland States Bank

Midland States Bank Employee Reviews

Good institution to work for
Universal Banker II (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MissouiSeptember 15, 2015
MIdland is a great, competitive employer. You learn a lot to advance to any position you'd like inside of the baking world. It is a community bank that is growing rapidly. You must be sales oriented to be successful there.
A fun and rewarding work environment
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 27, 2015
Midland is such an awesome company to work for. They are a community bank which makes it feel like they treat you on a more personal level, if you are a customer and an employee. The New Hire Orientation was really informative and was awesome because the CEO comes and talks to each individual.

My overall experience has been wonderful and I've learned a lot working here. Everyone is so friendly and more people should want to work here because of the work environment is relaxing, but rewarding. It is also very busy and can be stressful some days.
ok place to work
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 4, 2015
this was a good place to work lots of fun with people from all over the world to deal with is this enough typing I hope so company is great
Ever Changing
Loan Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 24, 2015
When I was first hired on as a Loan Originator my actual title and job duties were for Loan Production Assistant. I was advised after my 90 days I could choose to be either a Loan Originator or Loan Production Assistant. I very much enjoy being a Loan Production Assistant, but the company previously known as Heartland Bank Mortgage merged with Midland States Bank and now I am being forced into a Loan Originator role while still doing my Loan Production Assistant duties as well as Loan Origination. Since the merger, there are things going on within the company that I do not agree with. I have a very strong work ethic, integrity and follow company guidelines and procedures. However, not everyone there shares the same, yet they are being treated with favoritism.

I love the people I work with, I just do not like the fact that I was hired on being told one thing and now being forced into a position I do not desire to be in.

I'm looking to work for a company that will not be sold or bought out by another company (e.g. USAA, Wells Fargo, Chase Bank, etc). I am looking for job stability, a company that follows their own policies and procedures and has room for growth and advancement.

For these reasons, I am searching for other job opportunities.
Pros
People, working directly with customers and building those business relationships
Cons
Bank being bought out over 5 times and once since I've been employed there, Being hired on as a Loan Originator but performing other duties (e.g. Loan Production Assistant), job titles changing for employees but still in their current roles, company not following policy and procedures
Great company
Manager - Merchant Services Operations (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILApril 14, 2015
Highly recommended place to work. They will fight for you. They care about their customers and employees. Growing company.
Universal Banker
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ILApril 1, 2015
customer service, do daily transactions for customers, open an close accounts, maintance on accounts, balance of checkbooks, daily reports.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
manager
Good Experience
Merchant Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJanuary 28, 2015
I would make outbound calls to small business owners to set up their credit card processing.
Very productive workplace
Part-time Teller (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be handling customer transactions such as depositing money and doing cashier's checks or making payments on loans for customers. Overall not a hard job and the employees were enjoyable to work with.
Amazing Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 16, 2014
The coworker were great and a great company to work for! Fun job and enjoyable to go to each day.
Midland is a great bank
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 25, 2014
MSB is a great company to work. Not the perfect fit for employees to take initiative or prefer to take charge. Management is very involved, yet communication is still a large concern. The company is very interested in an evolving group culture, but has a slight internal struggle with changed process or responsibility shifting in certain areas. The company is growing at a rapid speed.
Pros
great compensation and group culture
Cons
lack of communication & lengthy amount of time for increased vacation time
Horrible place to work.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILApril 23, 2014
I had anxiety attacks after working here. The management is horrible. They pick favorites and those people get the good hours and they look past their mistakes. If you aren't a favorite, they will give you horrible hours and ride you about every single mistake you make.
The hours were not great, although "bankers hours" are a thing of the past. We would have to work 6 days a week and still not get 40 hours. When we were open on Sundays, we would have to work 13 days in a row. In the Effingham location we had to move from branch to branch in town and I did not like that. You didn't get to know the customers because you we never in the same place. I felt like the bank looked at customers as a number and the employees a machine. They didn't really care about either one.
When they hire you, they promise you it will be easy to get promoted, but it most definitely is not. The men were promised promotions, and did indeed receive them, most of the women however did not.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management, hours, feeling like "just a number"
Good place to work.
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILFebruary 5, 2014
Wonderful building the girls are extremely nice and easy to get along with. Making transactions with money and checks.
great customers and great people to work wtih
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILNovember 5, 2013
great work atmosphere! everyone is so helpful and understanding!
I loved my position here.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Freeburg, ILAugust 26, 2013
I enjoyed the people I worked with and especially enjoyed making my customers happy. I really miss this job, due to the economic deflation they had to reduce their management staff. I had four employees that worked under me, we had a lot of fun, while assisting our customers with the highest level of privacy and priority to meet al their financial needs.
Pros
gettig to know our customers on a personal level
value based company, fun environment, plenty of opportunity for advancement!
Teller (Current Employee) –  Farina, ILJuly 29, 2013
Great hours, great management, great benefits! Quartly contests, community friendly, great values and customer service.
A GREAT Community Based Bank
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  ILFebruary 6, 2013
Corporately based in Effingham, IL, Midland States Bank is small enough to give you a great community bank feeling, but big enough to meet all of your banking needs (for both commercial and consumer clients).
I have worked in the banking industry for many years and I love working for Midland!
Pros
great management with a trusting open door policy
Midland States Bank is my current employer
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILOctober 11, 2012
Midland States Bank in Effingham, IL is my current employer.
stable income
Full-time Customer Service Representative/teller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, IllinoisAugust 30, 2012
very slow paced.
got along very well with coworkers, but customers were not always friendly. i liked working with the public, but dealt with dissatisfied customers was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
stability
Cons
lack of management