MidwayUSA

MidwayUSA United States Employee Reviews

Good Introduction to the how the Business World Operates
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee), Columbia, MOJune 15, 2014
Pros: good pay and excellent work/life balance
Cons: work is too process oriented, not a lot of opportunity to advance
The Good:

The hiring process does a good job of selecting candidates that will mesh well with our company's culture. As a result, the people you work with are great. The benefits and salaries offered are generally competitive. I haven't worked for a manager yet that I didn't like. The work culture/environment is very family oriented and flexible. Also, if you show the initiative, you will receive mentoring and opportunities to take on more responsibility.

The Bad:

Lower and middle management doesn't have a lot of authority. Decisions are often made at the top and lack the appropriate perspective. Most positions entail very mundane and process-oriented work. Inconsistent internal promotion methods make advancement difficult and uncertain. The structure of the company simply doesn't facilitate a lot of opportunity to earn promotions.
Just watch your back....
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), ColumbiaMarch 20, 2014
Pros: fun job, awesome co-workers, great pay.
Cons: meddling supervisors
Honestly, the job was a lot of fun: i came in knowing very, very little about gun/ammo etc. I learned so much and enjoyed chatting with old veterans about their years in the war and all that. I also enjoy doing the "detective" work, finding replacement parts and whatnot. having my own desk and space was nice and i made a lot of wonderful finds. I could set my own hours. Saturdays during the busy season were meant for responding to emails and this was relaxing because you would listen to your music and even if a customer had a rude email, you could take a few moments to get a professional response.

Like the summary says: watch your back. I was fired from Midway because a customer apologized to me for being rude when i couldn't give him a straight answer about a given situation via him wanting to spend $1200 on an order that came from an almost expired sales flyer-until i spoke to a supervisor. I had documented everything and handled it as instructed: the next day I was fired, no questions asked. A few months later, a good friend and inside source me told me a different supervisor, lets call her "Betty" NOT my own, flagged the call, changed my documentation, and took out the portion of the call where I spoke to someone else about the problem. Surprising enough, a few months before this happened, my supervisor lets call him "Bob" disclosed to me that "Betty" didnt believe I belonged at Midway.
For a lack of better words, this job picked favorites, and everyone is disposable.
Funny enough: I miss this job every day.
You're either with them, or against them
Administrative (Former Employee), Columbia, MOMarch 6, 2014
Pros: starting wage
Cons: everything else
If you don't want to join the NRA, and or you appreciate diversity- not just within the work place but in general- then this antisemitic, homophobic, men's club is not for you.
Fun Atmosphere
Level III Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbia, MOJuly 29, 2013
Really enjoyed my co-workers that I worked with. If the Pay was better i might have stayed. I enjoyed the time I was with them regardless of the pay.
Productive and very easy to learn
Call Center Agent (Current Employee), Columbia, MOMay 21, 2013
Pros: can do just about anything as long as youre not distracted while on a call
Cons: busy, knowledge does benefit and can hurt if you don't know very much
Nice workplace, but can be racist. Usually busy because we sell ammo, etc. but a very laid back job. Co-workers usually stick to themselves because of the phones and how busy it can be.
Great place to work, especially if you love outdoor activities.
Shipping Specialist (Former Employee), Columbia, MOOctober 19, 2012
A typical day consists of packaging and shipping products from the warehouse. Management is great and co-workers are easy to work with.