Midwest Dental Employee Reviews

Great autonomy with the added support of office management
Dentist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 25, 2017
I have been happy throughout my time at Midwest Dental. Each office has its own culture and feel, and each runs as an independent office with the added support of upper management to help when needed. There are no daily quotas. The type of dentistry and product promotion for the benefit of the patient (such as fluoride or electronic toothbrushes) is dependent solely on the dentist's philospophies in the practice. There is a high emphasis throughout the company on patient care and properly following OSHA standards. Upper management does include people who have also worked in the dental field- former dentists, hygienists, assistants, and office managers; they do know what it is like to run a practice. The absolutely only thing that I would change would be the compensation structure. Overall, this is a good company to work for: I always feel valued, I have clinical autonomy, and I have a great work life balance.
Pros
Many
Cons
Few
IT Technician
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 17, 2017
**An honest review as it is only fair for other candidates to know what they are getting into.**

Its a good place to start if you just graduated from college and looking for a start in the IT field and or have a second source of income. IT Technician is what they call entry level there. Basically help desk support. DON'T expect to make 35-40k because you won't as this is an entry level position. Growth of the company is growing slowly but there are not much advancement in the IT Team. Nice work environment as everyone is helpful.
If you like a call center kind of job this is the job for you as you travel maybe only 5 percent of the time and basically do everything remotely or with the support of 3rd party vendors etc.
Pros
Flexible schedules, nice environment to work
Cons
lower salary, benefits aren't good
The offie I worked in was great
Personal Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nekoosa, WIAugust 2, 2017
I really enjoyed the time I worked there but, I communication was not there at all between staff and management. I became laid off of my job because of doctor retiring and dentist who was to take his place changing his mind at the last minute resulting in the office closing. This was not handle well at all by management and it seemed that they cared whether or not the office stayed open or whether or not we needed our jobs.
Pros
small office great coworkers
Cons
no communication from management
They don't care
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boone, IAJuly 25, 2017
It's Boone IA, what can I say. The overall office is nice but the procedures are sloppy. no solid training, The management are in another city and you have to jump through hoops to get anything done. all they care about is the almighty dollar.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Boone Culture
I do not promote working at Midwest Dental
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAJune 21, 2017
I do Not promote working at Midwest Dental. I do not feel this environment provides a positive atmosphere. The expectations are for Managers to fill multiple roles with no training.
Pros
Cons
Too numerous to mention
Stressful, exhausting place to work!
Dental assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 26, 2017
I would rate less than 1 star! Before Merit bought our office, we had a wonderful team and lots of fun. Now, we are all too stressed to have fun, an most of our original staff has left. Management is awful, they don't care about the workers, only the dentist-even when the dentist does horrible and unethical work. As long as the numbers are there, they will make excuses upon excuses for what the dds is doing. Don't plan on having lunch breaks, either, you will work through most of those! It's is nice that you get free dental for you and your family, but I would NEVER let the dentist in our office even work on my dog!
Pros
Nada
Cons
Short lunch break, cheap products, stressful environment
Certified Licensed Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  MNMay 18, 2017
Nice flow to the day. Some of the offices can be very old, with old equipment and some can have the newest thing available. Just depends on the area. Some offices have a lot of turn over with staff and doctors and others don't.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Could have more insight for the office employees vs. corp office
Save yourself the time and trouble
PSR (Former Employee) –  Southern metro, MNMay 15, 2017
This is the definition of Corporate, yet they don't want to be called that. Midwest Dental doesn't care if you try to make the visit for a patient a little more less stressful, they want to make sure you had them sign 20 things before they leave the door. I feel bad for the hygienists because they're stuck doing the front desk work in the back. The front desk are stuck doing reports... all day. Management takes note of every single "coaching" conversation they have with you. Then when it comes to your review they write that they had all these phone conversations "coaching you." I never called in sick in my almost 2 years working there and they gave me a 3/5 on my attendance. HOW DOES THAT WORK? They won't give you credit for doing something right, but if you do something wrong all of upper management will find out. Midwest dental please learn from your mistakes. This corporation could do so much better, but it's too bad the $$$$ is the only thing driving it.
Pros
Wonderful dentist, coffee, meet some great patients, dental work, samples
Cons
micro managing off-site, no part-time benefits, empty promises
Run away fast if you are a dental hygienist
Hygienist (Current Employee) –  WisconsinMay 8, 2017
Unrealistic daily production goals. After speaking with a professional production analyst in health care I learned production goals should go up and down quarterly. They raise or lower depending on the previous quarter. Which makes since because you only take bw X-rays once a year and a pano every 3-5 years. Once every one is caught up that's less production for the next appointment. The production goals at Midwest only increase. How is that realistic??? They push PSRP and selling products to up the daily number as well. Their computer system is terrible and adds at least 5-10 minutes to the appointment because it's slow and takes so many clicks to complete a simple task. Constant anxiety about having a full schedule. Fighting between the hygienists because another hygienist sees your patient and never puts them back on your schedule. Not a happy work environment. Stressful and emotionally taxing. Terrible pay if your day falls apart and no one shows up which is out of your control. Our work environment is depressing. I feel like im being pimped out to make a daily dollar number.
Pros
Decent benefits with high deductibles
Cons
No sick leave or holiday pay. You have to use PTO which uses all your PTO if you use it for holidays
Terrible place for a hygienist
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSApril 15, 2017
This place is a joke for RDH. All of the reviews I've read from other hygienists in many different areas are ALL CORRECT. My office was a private practice that joined the group with very little turnover. In the past 4 yrs, we now have our 4th office manager. We have had a hygienist of 20+ yrs quit & 2 assistants each of 5-10 yrs. Patients get upset because every time they come into the office the whole staff is new. So in 4 years also 2 receptionists & 4 total assistants have gone. Currently all of our staff is planning to leave in the next few months or is actively searching for jobs. So sad to see a corporation (oops, they like to be called an "organization") ruin a small town business. What a joke. This job would be good for a new grad that has no other options; just know you will be making a small fraction of what hygienists typically make. I was full time, then over time they cut all of our pay (only RDH by 15%, then they cut my hours in HALF so I would qualify for no benefits...so after 4 years I'm making significantly less than my initial pay.
Cons
RUN don't walk...AWAY from this company.
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  South Metro MinneapolisMarch 23, 2017
People, let me be straight up...this is PURE CORPORATE GREED.

Patients become a dollar sign, not a human being. You will be forced to bring in as much money as possible, because you will need to pay the salaries of upper management. There is way too many people in upper management, and trust me when I say, no one knows what they are doing. Management will micro manage you (from a different state even!) They expect you to do way too many duties, with very little time. Your self esteem will take a hit, because you can never produce as much as they want you to. You will have meetings in the morning that you will not be paid for, since hygienists are paid on commission. You will have to SELL, SELL, SELL. I went to school for dental hygiene, NOT to be a salesman. Management bullies...I promise you that you will eventually be miserable. Promise. I could go on and on about the negative culture, but I urge you to walk away from any job openings in this corporation. There are SO many wonderful dental jobs out there,this is NOT one of them....choose wisely. It is a miserable company to work for. Bad reputation. Look at ALL the reviews here...they all are saying the same thing..horrible to work for.
Pros
None.
Cons
Micro managed, Production pay, Production goals that are impossible to meet, Bad management, Poor communication, corporate dentistry only cares about money.
Great Company to Work For
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 20, 2017
Midwest Dental is an exceptional company to work for. They are lenient on work schedules, as well as personal time off. The office environment is wonderful and very laid-back. I worked in my cubical all day without shoes on just to be more comfortable and I felt more than comfortable walking around the office since everyone was very clean and organized. Pay is a bit on the low side, but not terrible.
Pros
Great Management, Easy to work for, and fun office environment
Cons
Below average pay, okay benefits.
Flexible Work Hours
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 15, 2017
Flexible work hours. Good work/life balance, but poor compensation/benefit. This is a good entry level job for new grads and also great for someone who has a second source of income due to the flexible work hours.
Pros
Flexible Hours and Work Environment
Cons
Average Compensation/Benefit
Terrible, stressful place to work! No disregard for patients or staff!
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 10, 2017
Corporatation that could care less about their employees or their patients, and patient comfort and care should always be put first. The only thing Midwest Dental cares about is money. Their fees on procedures are always rising without warning to staff or patients and yet there is never room in the budget for raises of the hard working staff. Expect to come in early, work through your lunch and stay late! Hope you don't care about seeing your family and loved ones. High turnover rate of staff. Horrible benefits, no paid holidays. Negative atmosphere! Horrible, stressful and depressing place to work. Not at all what dentistry should be!
Pros
Cons
Pretty much everything about this company
Corporate dental group that allows for autonomy
General dentist (Current Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 15, 2016
I am very happy as a general dentist here. Great CE opportunities, great balance of corporate support and autonomy, and great team provided. The only issue I've had is that sometimes the staff gets transferred to other offices within our network and I've lost (but also gained) great assistants in the process.
Great company, great culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 12, 2016
Midwest Dental consistently works to preserve the independence of each office. Very unique culture where employees get plenty of freedom, and great quality of life for all staff.
Pros
Autonomy, independent practice model, business growth
Cons
n/a
They were driven by production
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WISeptember 2, 2016
Management only cares about the all mighty dollar, as for the patient they want to shove more product down their throats, buy this because it's good for that, you need this because it will help that, if you do this by purchasing that it will get you 100% perfect teeth with the whitest shade ever and you will never have to brush or floss ever in your life again. Push product = more production = more money for the CEO
Terrible
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 25, 2016
I would rate this dump less than one star if I could, but one star was minimum so I guess whatever. For starters, they work you like crazy. You have to do everyone's job to do your job, and you're micromanaged on top of it. Nothing you do is good enough and every tiny mistake you make is grounds for punishment. The corporate people that come in are super rude and snobby, and they only like certain people so if you don't fit in with the clique, watch your back. Staff takes personal calls at the desk, never comes to work, leaves early, all grounds for being let go...but they're still the favorites. I got fired because the upper management snobs saw me work once and decided I wasn't good enough, but the other slackers were. So much favoritism and high school drama. Don't ever work here. Save yourself the agony and go to a private office.
Pros
Hours, no weekends
Cons
Drama, lazy coworkers, upper management, high school cliques
A Good Place to Work
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIAugust 20, 2016
A great job for the right person for the position. Can be difficult to manage the office as an individual while staying within Midwest rules. For the most part a pretty laid back place to work.
PSR (Current Employee) –  Central MNAugust 18, 2016
We have a great team! Everyone works very well together and genuinely cares about the patients. Midwest is very accommodating with my scheduling needs/requests. We have a very busy and fast paced office and l have learned so much in my time with them already.
Pros
Flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest Dental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9