Midwest Family of Companies Employee Reviews

fun place to work but no home life
Direct Care Staff/ med spec (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHNovember 15, 2017
worked there for almost a yr was amazing place to work but so many hours no home life at all supervisors are amazing individuals were great worked with some individuals that got abusive but was still a nice place to work even tho the pay sucked for all the stuff you had to do
Pros
amazing people
Cons
pay
Licking county dayhab
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHOctober 26, 2017
Loved working with the individuals but the management at the dayhab is horrible.The director on the Health side doesn’t care how you are treated. They fire people over stuff they don’t do. They fire the good employees over nonsense and keep the staff who constantly call off and aren’t reliable
Pros
Individuals
Cons
Everything but the individuals
clients okay but dont recommend
Direct Support Professional/Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 24, 2017
the job itsself isnt hard its the company. they want you to work long hours but don't seem to appreciate there workers. pros - great clients. cons-pay and management
Pros
clients
Cons
poor hours, management
great company with wonderful individuals to care for
direct care staff (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHOctober 22, 2017
the company like most places has issues with drama between some staff but, overall it is a great place to work. the managers and supervisors work tirelessly to provide the best possible environment for the individuals they care for.
Watch Your Back
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHSeptember 8, 2017
Management in Medina stirs up a lot of drama. Blames everyone but their own actions for it. Lack of responsibility, accountability and character. Manipulative. Dishonest.
Pros
The clients, meaningful work
Cons
Immature management, drama
Per Diem NURSE PRACTITIONER (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 4, 2017
Great as a flex job, not so much as a full or part time job. Job security can be a serious issue due to the company "not needing" staff sometimes. This could be a serious issue for full time employees.
Wonderful Company to work for
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHAugust 18, 2017
Midwest is a great company to work for. They actually care about their employees and try to come up with new ways to show their appreciation. We have had cook outs, ice cream truck with free ice cream, gift cards, luncheons, etc. I have enjoyed my time here and look forward to a long career with Midwest.
Pros
Appreciated
they didnt treat their staff with respect
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHAugust 8, 2017
Midwest was not a very good company to work for, they were rude and disrespectful to there staff. They did not treat their staff the way they wanted to be treated. I would not recommend them to anyone nor would I work for them again.
Official response from Midwest Family of Companies
August 18, 2017

Please let me know more details. HR Dept 330-832-9582 I would be interested in what we can do to improve.

Pay rate does not equate to the work you put in!
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 8, 2017
The amount of work you do for the LITTLE amount you get paid is astonishing. The hours are ok, sometimes there is OT available and sometimes there isn't which is great. Paid holidays are only paid if you work them between 12am and 1159pm that day. The pay sucks, the people are great and the job is rewarding most times, but I don't recommend it unless you truly do not care about anything but the people, which is what the job is about. The co-workers and some of the management are wonderful, some suck, like any corporate place. Expect 2nd or 3rd shift hours, unless you are a manager or upper manager then you'll work an ungodly amount of hours for salary and benefits on call pretty much all the time. Once again, people you help and coworkers are great, hours are ehhh, pay sucks, so it depends on what you are looking for in a job. This one was less than what I expected with my previous experiences in the same field of work. All pay starts at same rate regardless of your experience and educational attainment, so a hs and college graduate get paid same amount regardless for each position. $9.25/hr SUCKS for the amount of dedication and love you put in, especially with years of experience.
Pros
OT when available is great
Cons
Pay rate, hours
Very unorganized
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJuly 20, 2017
This company is a mess, they expect you to take care of individuals with illnesses without the proper protection for yourself. The managers are impossible to get ahold of and when you do get ahold of them they are no help. You work every weekend, and if you are sick no matter how sick you have to work, if you have a dr excuse you have to make up every hour that you miss with or without an excuse. This company worries more about the money they can get more than the safety and well being of their staff and the individuals they take care of.
Pros
The individuals
Official response from Midwest Family of Companies
August 18, 2017

I would be interested to knowing more about your experience. If you would call the HR Dept at 330-832-9582, we would be happy to speak with you.

direct care
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHJuly 17, 2017
great place to work. Still employed. Pay is decent and the work is rewarding. we have a good team in Medina county. The managers are understanding and fair; and the PC is so organized and on top of everything. Great team to work for!!
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
work most holidays
important, extremely demanding work
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHJune 7, 2017
Midwest can be a wonderful place to work... in the right circumstances. If you're under a supervisor who truly cares, if your group home is fully staffed, if you are a person willing to learn new things and think on your feet, if you can be patient and understanding to clients who have very different struggles than you do-- it's a good workplace. You will never find more rewarding work, although it is challenging.

The problem is there are just too many ifs. I've worked for Midwest for several years and for the majority of that time, we've been short staffed. If you're a Direct Care worker you'll generally have plenty of opportunity for overtime if you want it; I was able to get by pretty well with regular overtime even though my hourly pay was pretty low ($8/hr when I started). If you are salaried it's another story.

Midwest really relies on its salaried workers-- Program Coordinators and especially Managers. Whenever you are short staffed, have a staffing crisis or client emergency, the expectation is that managers will fill those hours in. When you are fully staffed and overtime is not approved, managers are expected to work as many hours as it takes to make sure no one has overtime. As a manager I rarely worked less than 50 hours a week. 60-80 hour weeks were not uncommon... double shifts many days in a row... sometimes just hours apart. It is very discouraging to put in those kind of hours and get little recognition for it. Your productivity can dry up when you're always exhausted. There is high turnover for these jobs because people get frustrated and discouraged
  more... and just give up. And there's even higher turnover for Direct Care because burnt out managers don't/can't provide the necessary support and training.

I have seen encouraging signs that Midwest is trying to turn things around. They've added training programs and adapted the programs they already had. They are always brainstorming employee appreciation activities. But there is so much more to "appreciation" than pizza parties or $5 gift cards. It seems the higher ups know that their staff are underpaid... I have heard them say it before... But seriously, pay is a pretty significant part of appreciating someone!

I have known people to have to leave because they could make more money in food service. Direct Care staff are dealing with medication administration, behavior protocols, personal hygiene care, specialized diets, sometimes verbal abuse or physical violence. For the kind of work we do there should be better compensation. Period. Especially for salaried workers who make so many sacrifices of their personal lives, physical health, emotional health, for the wellbeing of our clients. I wish the company would compensate people appropriately for the hard work they do.
Pros
Rewarding work, never boring
Cons
poor compensation, lack of support for salaried staff, unpredictable hours
It was a very nice place to work.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHJune 6, 2017
I learned from walking at Midwest that taking care of other people is very different but it can be very challenging at times but over all it's fun to because once you get to know your client it is almost like they become a part of your family.
Pros
Helping other people
Cons
the work schedule
Rewarding and safe environment
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHMay 31, 2017
There are a lot of rewards that come along with the job. Staffing is low, so job/life balance is difficult. If you enjoy working in the helping profession and helping others you will love this job.
Pros
Clients, Overtime
Cons
Understaffed, Work/life balance
Run away, far far away!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 21, 2017
They expected me to work with somebody who is known to get very violent by myself. No thanks! The last thing I'm willing to do is risk my health and safety for 9.25 an hour. It's not worth it. People that are violent need two staff minimum in my opinion.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Safety concerns
My clients make my day.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 20, 2017
A typical day at work is anywhere from and 8-12 hour shift, sometimes longer. I care for the individuals and balance paperwork on top of it.
I have learned as management that there is a balance you have to do between working with the individuals, paperwork, and my personal life. I love being management even though it sometimes takes a toll.
The work place can be what you make it. I tend to be more upbeat and actually communicate with my employees. Everyone is comfortable with one another and coming to me with issues.
The hardest thing about the job is finding a balance for my personal life and the easiest is realizing how lucky I am to work with the special needs community. This job is ever changing and my individuals make me smile very day. They have become like a second family.
Pros
Upper Management has your back in key issues
Cons
Sometimes you are seriously overworked
dont do it
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHMay 10, 2017
my client was very violent, had to lock myself in the bathroom for safety several times while she would try to break down the door.
when i asked to be transferred to a different client, they said ok but nothing was ever done.
never got a break during my usual 8 hr shifts or when we all had to work 12 hour shifts due to manager vacation
Micromanagement at its finest
LPN (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 9, 2017
Company that does not provide proper supplies, micromanages all aspects of work. Terrible communication, does not care about employee preference. Co-workers are pleasant and helpful. All family's are cooperative considering the nonsense. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Scheduling nightmare.
Pros
Meeting great family's and clients, helpful co-workers
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Terrible place run!
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 28, 2017
Supervisor's are rude, incompetent and disrespectful. Expected to work with little to no notice. Very unprofessional place to work. They will not pay you mileage like they say they are. They will not tell you that you are paying for your own certifications out of your pay check. They will not appreciate your hard work they will take advantage of you for caring about the clients. They will have you drive to other counties for training with a days notice. Director doesn't care so dont bother going to them with complaints. Will you not be trained properly basically left to learn on your own. They dont prepare you for any position and you will not get help doing your job. They will leave you to burn and fall on your face, Run!
Pros
you get to help those in need
Cons
terrible management, unpredictable hours to work
Disappointed
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHApril 14, 2017
You give 150% of yourself and they take that and ask for more. Yet when you need to only give 100% due to your focus needing to be elsewhere, they make your work environment difficult and then let you go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest Family of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.