Midwest ISO Employee Reviews

Energy Scheduler
Real Time Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 6, 2014
Received, verified and scheduled energy transactions from North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) E-Tags and the Midwest ISO Physical Scheduling System ensuring representation of transmission and market services and operating limits. Interacted with market participants, market operations and reliability coordinators to resolve tagging issues. Received, verified and approved transmission service requests ensuring compliance with the tariff, accuracy with Available Flowgate Capacity (AFC) calculations and analyzed requests for implications on selling new service, both in real time and for the near-term future.
Test Automation Design and implementation (Former Employee) –  St.Paul MISeptember 30, 2013
Nothing to say its long time now.....
Everybody was good.
Very limited staff to contact....
interesting industry, poor management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 23, 2013
The energy industry is fascinating, and you can work here for 20 years and still learn something new every day about the many aspects of what MISO does. Unfortunately, management at all levels of the company is generally poor. Departments are silos, and certain departments are constantly involved in power struggles to show their worth so that their jobs don't get eliminated. The overall structure of the IT areas of the company, where I work, is ill-conceived and leads to nothing but frustration and poor quality of work. On the plus side, if you can isolate yourself from the politics and the reorgs that happen every year or two and just focus on your work, you can be content. It just depends on your individual manager (a rare few are decent) and the people you work with regularly. Someone wrote a review here referencing a "low-stress environment." I have no idea what department that person works in, but in 4 years I have not seen any "low-stress environments" at MISO. Compliance with regulations is a constant stressor. If you're looking for low stress, MISO is definitely not for you.
Pros
interesting industry
Cons
poor management, low opportunity for advancement
Great Culture
Business & Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 4, 2013
Miso is a great place to work and grow. They provide many opportunities to develop your skill sets in a low stress environment.
treats you like dirt, poor executive management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisJanuary 20, 2013
I took a job there only to find out I was required to do more than what was expected and outlined on the job description. Although they pay well, you have to ask yourself is that really worth jeopardizing your health over? If you get to management there, watch out because if you don't fit the likes of whomever is in charge....
Pros
industry
Cons
required to work until you end up ill
Good place for new experience, but poor management
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2012
I took this job to relocate back to my home city. I was excited to work for this company, but once I got here, I realized that it works in chaos. Not sure if it's just my area, but they promote people who don't know what they are doing and continue to keep them and protect them and get rid of those who are loyal.
Pros
industry
Cons
managment
Not an equal opportunity employer
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 15, 2011
Pros
Nice Fitness center
Training opportunities if management in you department likes you
Social events like holiday party, summer picnic, and charity events
Free coffee and tea
Opportunities exist depending on where you work in the company

Cons
They are now on a budget trimming phase to cut and save costs.
I was the only woman in the department and one of few in the organization. I did not feel valued by my male counterparts or management. They did not respect my diverse or different way of thinking. Any diversity of thought or integrity of job was meet as challenging management.

There seems to be an ethnic separation of engineers by department. One or two departments has majority of foreign engineers, and then other departments have all white male engineers.

There are not very many if any African american or other diversity besides Asian engineers.

Advice to Senior Management
You need to improve on diversity in the company, especially on handling women. Women do not think like men and those who want change or to do their job with integrity are booted out because you think they are threatening your position. You need to listen, RESPECT, and value the skills and diversity of thought in women.
Pros
fitness center
Cons
lack of opportunity for women