Midwestern University Employee Reviews

Great
MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 31, 2017
Great opportunities for students who are studying full time. I had awesome experiences with my professors and learned a lot about the field during my time as a research assistant.
family workplace
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 17, 2017
Working here was like working in a family run business. Such an amazing experience. Everyone is hands on all the time. The goal of Midwestern is to provide the absolute best education for the professional students and it is very apparent in the inner workings of every single employee.
Fine for a seasoned instructor, but a poor choice for a newbie.
Assistant Professor of Pathology (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILSeptember 16, 2017
Very student oriented post-graduate professional college. There was little collaboration between faculty and departments. Mentoring for new faculty did not exist.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Autonomy
Great job , but short
anatomy preparator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 15, 2017
Job was a great work study that allowed me to intimately acquiant myself with staff and the labs while completing my Masters and Medical school training.
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILAugust 30, 2017
I love working at Midwestern. The basic science staff works well in a collaborative and competitive way. It is a very supportive environment, with room for upward mobility.
Well Maintained
Sterilization Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILAugust 24, 2017
There is a system for everything. Everything must be a certain way. Changes are always happening and rules must be followed. The supervisors are very strict
Beautiful campus
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 19, 2017
Great supervisor and people I work with. I love seeing the students improve and grow. I appreciate the learning and growth I have experienced while working at MWU under the management I have had.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Not enough hours for my particular work
ICU Night
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJuly 11, 2017
Currently working the ICU overnight position. I take care of anything that comes in the door for the night and anything that is currently hospitalized including Internal Medicine, post-op surgery patients. The hardest part of my job is working nights, much more of a day working or mid-shift if it ends by midnight. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with animals. Being able to watch them grow and get better each day.
Temp work
Temp Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJuly 7, 2017
I worked as a temporary technician for a one year contract. The overall work was very minimal and there was plenty of time to accomplish everything necessary.
good education but expensive
Student (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMay 7, 2017
Good education, but it's really expensive. They do shove the clinical side of pharmacy down your throat. So someone who wants to be a small town community pharmacist is not really supported and you feel looked down upon.
Interactions with the psychology grad students made it all worthwhile.
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (TEMPORARY) (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 30, 2017
The department management left a great deal to be desired. However, working with and for the psychology professors was very rewarding for me. It was wonderful having so much regular interaction with the students.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 28, 2017
When I first get there I need to count out my draw to make sure it is correct. After that I fill all cup, lids, chip, soda, juice and anything else that we sell. I have learned there is a lot more to this cashier job than just checking out at the register. Management has been very fair with me, I received a $0.75 raise within 2 months. This is a multi-cultural work place and everyone get along every well. It makes it enjoyable to come to work. The hardest part of my job is that I also do inventory of all product with have including food, paper products, cleaning products, fruits and veggies, etc., everything you need to run a cafeteria.
The most enjoyable part of the job is be able to talk to the students when they check out. You see the same ones everyday so you get to know them. .
Pros
Free food during day and able to take left over home
Cons
The hours that I work
Interesting school
Assistant, HR and Development Offices (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILApril 19, 2017
Got to be involved in a variety of different things while there. Really enjoyed the people and being around students always provided some extra energy in the workplace.
Teaching assistant position provided interesting experience
Pharmaceutics Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 4, 2017
My "employment" was only for a class and was not monetarily compensated. Therefore, I am unable to accurately rate this company for employment purposes.
Great Place to Work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILFebruary 27, 2017
MWU is a great place to work. My co-workers are like a second family and my bosses are very understanding when I have to take time off due to personal obligations.
Poor management and work culture
Chairperson (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 21, 2017
Midwestern University is run as a company, not as an academic institution. It is the most impersonal place that I have ever worked. It seems that everyone (faculty and staff) is worked to their limit and few have the time or inclination to really get to know their colleagues. The administration and most of the faculty at the osteopathic school could care less about curricular improvement. In some programs, less than half of the students regularly attend class, thus adding to a low faculty morale. The large number of students in the different programs (about 1000 per year) ultimately means that there are huge student:faculty ratios which leave the faculty overworked and the students underappreciated. Faculty complaints abound with respect to the time and facilities available for research and the lack of concern of management about the personal advancement of their faculty. A Draconian emphasis on student evaluations together with excessive teaching loads and student numbers leads faculty to pursue easy and quick ways of presenting lectures that are taken straight from textbooks. There are internal faculty antagonisms all over the place. Many faculty feel trapped (but paid well) and few escape.
Pros
The management is good at making money
Cons
Overall hostile work environment compared to other academic institutions.
Overall wonderful place to work
Receptionist, Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 14, 2017
I advanced from the receptionist to the highest I could go. They have great benefits and pay. I enjoyed working with the students. Sometimes the higher ups did not listen if an employee was inundated with work, management chose to ignore instead of asking department for help.
OK place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJanuary 20, 2017
People are usually in bad moods in every department. Asking a question is an inconvenience. Mgmt are not effective leaders. There are a lot of inconsistencies and bringing it to mgmt. attention does not mean it will be resolved. HR can be spotty and the benefits specialist does not accurately provide information. Pay is ok, benefits are decent, job security for the most part is good because NO ONE gets fired, it does not matter how many mistakes you make, you will never be corrected/written/up, etc...creates resentment among the competent employees. A good stepping stone but not a career.
Pros
Holiday luncheons, good benefits and vacation/sick accrual, good hours, ok work environment
Cons
other employees, inconsistent mgmt, starting pay, everyone guesses at everything.
great benefits but the management is the blind leading the blind
DENTAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJanuary 8, 2017
The company as a whole is awesome the management team is sad they have no clue what they are doing. They make an easy job harder then what it has to be. The moment you don't follow like a robot your on the chopping block you become harassed and bullied until you quit or they make up enough false claims to fire you
Pros
educational free lunches, hour breaks great benefits
Cons
management
Midwestern
IT Manager Network Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 19, 2016
Great place to work , great people, friendly atmosphere, great benefits. Most people get along with one another and work together to complete tasks. Time off is great and so is retirement benefits.
Pros
great befeits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwestern University. Our community is ready to answer.

Midwestern University Reviews by Location