Mike's Carwash Employee Reviews

Fun and productive place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 20, 2017
Working at mikes was very fun. it was a great place for me to make lifelong friends and do something enjoyable rather than stare at the clock waiting for my shift to end.
Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INApril 17, 2017
This job is great for any high school student looking to develop customer service skills. You get to work outside which is either great or horrible due to the weather in your area. Management was great and I learned a lot from this job.
Pros
Work outside and great managment
Cons
Work outside, slow to rise through the managment structure
fun work place
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 13, 2017
A typical day would be working outside and talking to customers. I have learned a bunch from working at Mike's Car wash. I started with I was 16 and I have grown as a person since I have been working there. I graduated high school and I started college which I have decided to double major in criminal justice and paramedic science. Mike's have supported me through out all of it and I thank them for that.
Pros
fun employees
Cons
9 hour shifts
Fun , friendly, safe place to work
Associate - Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 7, 2016
Mike's Carwash is a great place to work with a lot of opportunities for growth. Customer service is the key to this business being successful and they do a fantastic job at stressing it every single day. I have enjoyed my 3 1/2 years at Mike's and the opportunities they have enabled me to have. They have allowed me to grow into a leadership role and improve my customer service skills tremendously while allowing me to have great relationships with my coworkers.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Short breaks
Great Employer
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 10, 2016
Fast paced work environment, Fun energetic people, friendly customers. They teach effective teamwork and multitasking skills. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to the weather but the best part is the lifelong experience you gain.
Great people.
Washer/Detailer (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIOctober 10, 2016
I learned how to run a car wash line.
Hardest part of the job was towel drying vehicles during winter.
Easiest part of the job was power washing and scrubbing vehicles before sending them through the track.
Co workers were great very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Very busy at times.
Cons
Trying to eat lunch before more vehicles pull in
Good place to work if you like the outdoors-
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHApril 7, 2016
Fast paced environment and always outside, hot or cold.
Customer Service is what this place is built on, even more so than the service provided.
An awesome place to work with some of the most amazing people ever!
Full Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Granger, INDecember 27, 2015
I have loved working at Mike's for the past two and a half years! They are very picky about who they hire to make sure that everyone fits in and makes a great team. Everyone I have ever worked with has been amazing and the managers are all great. They are VERY good about adjusting to your schedule, whether it be school, a second job, or even if you have plans with a friend! They also pay very well and it is an all over great place to work! They also offer lots of benefits including tuition reimbursement and healthcare!
Crew Carwash is a great place to work!
IS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INNovember 18, 2015
Upper management team treats everyone like family. We all look out for each other and make sure personal lives are priority.
Pros
Free car washes
Well Managed Company
Associate (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INNovember 8, 2015
Mike's Carwash is an outstanding company that knows how to run a business. There first priority is always the workers that work on a day to day basis, to further the Mike's vision. There is nothing I could say bad about this company. There is a reason they are extremely successful, and that reason is that they go above and beyond to treat their employees right, which in turn makes their employees want to work for Mike's.
Pros
Good Pay, Great team members.
Cons
Early hours.
Great job to build management experience
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 27, 2015
It was a good job. The schedule was to random once I had my daughter. I would work until 11pm one day and then have to be in a 4 am the next day at least once a week.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
schedule
Short staffed locations but a company full of fun people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 7, 2015
Far and away the best part of working at Mike's is getting to be around some really fun, hard-working people. Mike's is pretty meticulous in their hiring, and it typically results having a team full of jovial, fun-to-be-around teammates.

Another benefit of Mike's is the opportunity for advancement. I can attest to this first-hand, as I moved from a full-time associate to an assistant manager (three promotions) in a 12-month period. If you work hard, go above and beyond for customers and have a desire to move up, they will accommodate you.

For a high-school or college student, Mike's is a fantastic first place of employment. They schedule around classes and are a well-respected company that looks good on a resume. However, it's not an easy job, and the working conditions can be pretty tough in the winter.

As for cons, there are a couple.

Two years ago, Mike's lowered the prices on their unlimited wash packages, where customers pay a flat rate every month and can wash as often as they'd like. It's a great deal for customers, but it's been brutal for employees. Stores are just consistently busier than they used to be, and it wears on employees. Working at Mike's resulted in me gaining a ton of respect for the employees of Starbucks and McDonald's, because they're even busier than we are. Some customers who have an unlimited pass will come through every day -- literally every single day -- whether their car is dirty or not. It's not the customer's fault; they are just taking advantage of the current program. But the constant busyness has resulted in the overworking
  more... of team members, both management and associates.

That has led directly to the second con: short-staffed locations. In the past two years, especially in the Fort Wayne market, managers have been fleeing from Mike's like it's the Black Plague. Every manager has their own reasons for leaving, but for most of us, it was tied to the previous paragraph. In my opinion, lowering the unlimited program was probably the best thing the company's ever done financially, but it was the worst thing for the well-being and morale of their employees. It changed everything, and the company has been a little slow to evolve to the increase in business. With so many managers leaving the company, the managers that are left have been forced to run the store short-handed, which leads to being overworked. Ultimately, it's a snowball effect, because then the managers still there start looking for other jobs and wind up leaving, too.

Lastly, the winters are brutal, and it's our busiest time of the year, with customers wanting to remove salt from their vehicles. Mike's offers some stout winter gear -- jackets, hats, fleeces, etc -- but having to stand outside for 60 consecutive minutes in single-digit temperatures will suck the life out of anyone. As a manager, we are told to "rotate" employees in and out of the cold, which sounds like a stellar plan, but there is hardly ever a time where there is enough staffing at the store to do that. I know there were times where I was honestly uncomfortable working for a company that subjected their employees -- many of which are 17-18 year-old kids -- to that kind of brutal cold. You're probably thinking I'm a whimp, but next winter when you're scraping off the windows of your car in the blistering cold, think about doing that for an hour straight while having to put on a smile to interact with customers. Then, you get a five-minute breather inside before you're back out in the cold. It's just awful; there's no other way to put it.

There are some annoying times when dealing with customers. When you interact with 500-1,000 people in a shift, there are bound to be some situations where a customer is rude, etc. For the most part, though, Mike's customers are great and appreciate and respect Mike's.

I don't want this to sound like I'm ripping my old employer. I'm not, and I told them all of this during my exit interview. At the end of the day, I like Mike's, and I enjoyed my time there. I met some great friends. Mike's is a good company, and I think they will get their current staffing nightmare figured out. It will, however, take a substantial amount of time to get the company fully staffed with managers. I think the company's decision makers are taking to heart what they're hearing in all the exit interviews they've conducted recently. I hope they are, because they have to make some changes or they run the risk of not having enough managers to run their stores.
Pros
Fun teammates, excellent training
Cons
Constantly busy, brutal winters, overworked
Fun Place to work and very upbeat
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Loveland, OhioFebruary 5, 2015
1.A typical day at work would set your goals and complete them daily
2.The hardest part of the job was being given task and management not following up on how your process was going.
3.Co-workers friendly and positive energy
Pros
Free Carwash
Cons
Late notifications on changes
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 2, 2014
I would deal with customers in the drive and collect money from them as well as sprey the fronts of vehicle and other customer requests. As far as a management role, I would handle closing and opening the location, training and hiring of new associates, customer complaints and damages, and maintenance tasks. I learned and incredible amount from the managers around me and the ones above me as well from when I first started all the way until now.
Pros
People that I work with
Cons
Working in the weather extremes
Great Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beechmont, OHFebruary 27, 2014
These are the people that know how to treat employee's. Winter is probably the hardest time around their. But being able to work with the great coworkers of mike's makes it all better.
Fantastic company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 17, 2013
For high school and college students, this is a perfect place to put a solid place of employment on your resume, Plus there's tuition reimbursement opportunities. This company truly listens to what you have to say and will try to apply as many great ideas as possible. Mike's only hires the best of the best and provides amazing training that will help you down the road. The advancement opportunities seem endless till you get to assistant manager, then things slow down a lot. If you enjoy being outside, on your feet, working with your hands and meeting new people everyday then this is a great job for you. Biggest downside and reason why Mike's continues to lose good managers is the nights and weekends schedule combined with the occasional long week. Also staffing has been an issue recently and with manager vacations combined with an increase in business, Many managers have felt overworked.
Pros
great culture, somthing new everyday, tuition reimbursment
Cons
nights/weekends, short staffed locations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mike's Carwash. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3