MILAN EXPRESS Employee Reviews

Tractor trailer driver and forklift operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2014
Pros: on holiday cookies or donuts
Cons: half hour break and health care
forklift operator unloading and load trailer the way the manifest lay it out. driving double and triple trailers from state to state.
Drivers Beware
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee), Jackson, TNAugust 20, 2014
Expect to spend a lot of time at their shop in Jackson, TN. I was there for less than six months and was in five different trucks due to mechanical problems. My trucks were either under recall or had to be sent back to the dealer for warranty service. They run almost all International Pro Star + tractors, a very unreliable model. Moving all of your belongings from one truck to another in 90+ degree heat is no fun and not all of the trucks have been cleaned prior to being issued to a driver. I had to refuse a truck that had bags of garbage and cigarette butts in it and stunk of garbage and cigarette smoke. Also, do a thorough inspection of your truck because the shop will not have done so and you will find major problems that you want to have fixed before you hit the road. Stay away from those auto-shifters if at all possible.
The mechanics shop is simply overwhelmed. In addition, too many drivers do not report problems, especially when it comes to trailers. I estimate half of them have the ABS wiring disconnected. You will pick up a lot of them with lights out, bad hinges and latches, and leaks. I picked up one trailer with a hole in the floor that I was able to put my hand through. Note that when you write up a problem with a truck you will not get any sort of receipt or written confirmation of what was repaired.
The terminal in Jackson has a lounge with a TV and decent wifi. It has an old bathroom where you can get cleaned up but no showers and no place to sleep if you are stuck there for an extended period of time.
As with most trucking companies, they have some good dispatchers – more... and some bad ones. I had one good one, one that was OK, and another who was lazy, unprofessional, disrespectful, and otherwise incompetent. Unfortunately the person in charge of managing the dispatchers and load planners is an ignorant, arrogant bully, so do not expect any improvement in this area. They do not run you hard but they do not provide you with the information that you need in order to do your job, for example appointment times, whether a stop is a live load/unload or drop and hook, directions and correct addresses for shippers and receivers, or a contact phone number at which you can speak with a real person. You are expected to somehow know these things in advance.
Communication in general is considered a dirty word here. You will not be told even the most basic things like where to drop your empty trailers, where to park your truck, etc. Expect to waste a lot of time finding people to tell you how they want things done only to find out that you were told something wrong. When I first started driving for them I ran into another driver at a shipper. We had to make a delivery early Monday morning so I mentioned how I would leave Sunday afternoon in order to make my appointment on time. He responded that he was going to wait until Monday morning so that he could sleep at home and get a reset in and then deliver the load late. I remember thinking, “What a lousy attitude.” But that way of thinking pervades the company. There is no sense of accountability among management, who will throw religious BS at you if you complain about anything, and it trickles down to the drivers because they are usually the ones who suffer when things go wrong.
I would not recommend driving for this company. – less
NOT BAD
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee), Milan, TNAugust 4, 2014
Pros: close too home
Cons: bad manager
COMPANY WAS GREAT , I CAN WALK TOO WORK .. DIDNT LIKE MY MANAGER , HE HAD NP PRIOR EXPERIENCE IN RUNNING A CREW OF DRIVERS.. OVERALL NOT BAD..
Good pay. Poor atmosphere
Parts Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2014
Pros: health care, salaried income
Cons: many managers equals many bosses. i felt intimidated.
Some favoritism from managers made work environment tough. Crew were dealing with gossip and jealousy. Very limited upward mobility or incentives. The pay was good and I was salaried. They offered insurance plans that were average in cost. Expected to work long hours.
Loved it!
Supervisor -Dock and Office (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2014
Closed my division, but I miss it very much. Great place to work with awesome people.
they were ok people
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 30, 2014
Pros: same start time
Cons: never know when you are going to get off
They were nice people but would tell you one thing and do the total opposite they didn't take care of trucks or trailers
Dewayne Watkins
Local / Regional truck driver (Former Employee), Jackson, TNMarch 14, 2014
I hauled commodities to customers in a dry van.
nice company to work for
good for some and not for all
Truck Driver (Former Employee), jackson,tnFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: will run
Cons: somtimes will run to hard
get in truck pick up deliver load wait for next load and run. very hard to please all people.
Customer Service, freight scheduler
Customer Service Representative, OSD Clerk (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 18, 2014
Company consolidated its services. It was an excellent opportunity.
small terminal, with co workers from previous company
Billing Clerk/Customer Service/Dispatcher (Former Employee), Evansville, INJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: worked with others from previous company
Cons: was asked to do work that was not supposed to be done by me
stayed busy the majority of the day with variety of duties. learned a great deal about transportation and all that goes with it. never the same every day.
good people to work for
truck driver (Current Employee), Jackson, TNDecember 23, 2013
Pros: the freedom i had and equipment i drove
Cons: benefit package and pay
I enjoyed the freedom of the job, and the people I worked for.the pay wasn't that great and the benefits was to high,but the equipment I drove was nice and well maintained.
This compnay was bought out. No longer at the location I worked at.
Forklift Driver/Yard Truck Driver (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Lima, OHOctober 2, 2013
Part time work. Company was bought out by another company and moved.
they had nice trucks
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee), Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2013
they was a alright company but it had its ups and down, could have been a little better
Fun workplace, professional environment
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee), Milan, TNApril 3, 2013
Pros: great staff
Cons: wasn't there very long
Good people to work for. Never a dull moment.Constantly on the go, long days, but fulfilling. Only hard part of job was learning backing maneuvers. The best part was the people I worked with. Diverse, but enjoyable to be around.
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Jackson, TNNovember 15, 2012
Pros: descent pay, descent miles, home on weekends
Cons: no directions to customers in qualcomm, health insurance costs are high.
Not a bad trucking company to work for. They hire new drivers right out of school. If you go to their driving school they offer tuitions reimbursement. Management is pretty laid back as long as you do your job. They run paper logs mostly, some truck have E-logs. They have newer truck to drive and the shop maintains them pretty well. You'll get home on the weekends, typically saturday morning and not have to leave out again until monday morning, although you may have to leave on sunday. IF you are new to truck driving you will have good weeks and bad weeks as far as miles go. This is the same with any company you work for though. I would still work there, but I found a local job that got me home everyday. The only complaint I have is that 75% of the places you go to, Milan does not have directions to. They don't update their customers phone numbers or directions in their Qualcomm system. So while you are with a trainer, invest in a GPS before you get your own truck.
Good
Pickup and Delivery Driver/ Dock (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 22, 2012
Pros: plain and simple.
Cons: pay.
I really loved this place. They cared about you and it showed. It was a meat and potatoes job. I miss this so much. Its sad that this place stop doing LTL.
Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2012
Pros: hourly
Cons: out of business
Long days with a small shop with a few people good work enviroment
There are long work hours
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Jackson, TNMay 28, 2012
Pros: long hours
A typical day at work is setting trailers to the dock to be loaded. Once loaded, they are pulled out & staged for other drivers to pick up & deliver. i then make my own deliveries.
A great place to work.
Appointment Clerk (Former Employee), Milan, TNApril 3, 2012
Milan Express was a wonderful place to work. The fact that they sold part of the company is why I am not currently still there.