MILAN EXPRESS Employee Reviews

Great place
Semi driver/Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Milan, TNJuly 3, 2016
as with all transportation companies the days and nights are long. But the people who work behind the scenes are some of the best i have ever worked for.
Pros
new equipment
Cons
based out of tennessee
Sucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 28, 2016
Was sent out on a load with no time on my 70 hours and was stuck with a load with a scheduled delivery I had no time to make. Then I was sent out the following weekend to pick up a load that didn't exist. If you expect a return call when there's a problem, good luck.
Pros
You get to drive
Cons
Everything else
Ltl division poorly run
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAMarch 8, 2016
The equipment given to the employees was poor in quality. Their was an air of defeatism throughout the LTL division. Te was little room for advancement. The employees were required to take regular pay cuts.
Good company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milan, TNDecember 3, 2014
I enjoyed working here. Management was sometimes difficult to work with, but otherwise not a bad company. They are in the process of replacing trucks.
Tractor trailer driver and forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2014
forklift operator unloading and load trailer the way the manifest lay it out. driving double and triple trailers from state to state.
Pros
on holiday cookies or donuts
Cons
half hour break and health care
Drivers Beware
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 20, 2014
Expect to spend a lot of time at their shop in Jackson, TN. I was there for less than six months and was in five different trucks due to mechanical problems. My trucks were either under recall or had to be sent back to the dealer for warranty service. They run almost all International Pro Star + tractors, a very unreliable model. Moving all of your belongings from one truck to another in 90+ degree heat is no fun and not all of the trucks have been cleaned prior to being issued to a driver. I had to refuse a truck that had bags of garbage and cigarette butts in it and stunk of garbage and cigarette smoke. Also, do a thorough inspection of your truck because the shop will not have done so and you will find major problems that you want to have fixed before you hit the road. Stay away from those auto-shifters if at all possible.
The mechanics shop is simply overwhelmed. In addition, too many drivers do not report problems, especially when it comes to trailers. I estimate half of them have the ABS wiring disconnected. You will pick up a lot of them with lights out, bad hinges and latches, and leaks. I picked up one trailer with a hole in the floor that I was able to put my hand through. Note that when you write up a problem with a truck you will not get any sort of receipt or written confirmation of what was repaired.
The terminal in Jackson has a lounge with a TV and decent wifi. It has an old bathroom where you can get cleaned up but no showers and no place to sleep if you are stuck there for an extended period of time.
As with most trucking companies, they have some good dispatchers
  more... and some bad ones. I had one good one, one that was OK, and another who was lazy, unprofessional, disrespectful, and otherwise incompetent. Unfortunately the person in charge of managing the dispatchers and load planners is an ignorant, arrogant bully, so do not expect any improvement in this area. They do not run you hard but they do not provide you with the information that you need in order to do your job, for example appointment times, whether a stop is a live load/unload or drop and hook, directions and correct addresses for shippers and receivers, or a contact phone number at which you can speak with a real person. You are expected to somehow know these things in advance.
Communication in general is considered a dirty word here. You will not be told even the most basic things like where to drop your empty trailers, where to park your truck, etc. Expect to waste a lot of time finding people to tell you how they want things done only to find out that you were told something wrong. When I first started driving for them I ran into another driver at a shipper. We had to make a delivery early Monday morning so I mentioned how I would leave Sunday afternoon in order to make my appointment on time. He responded that he was going to wait until Monday morning so that he could sleep at home and get a reset in and then deliver the load late. I remember thinking, “What a lousy attitude.” But that way of thinking pervades the company. There is no sense of accountability among management, who will throw religious BS at you if you complain about anything, and it trickles down to the drivers because they are usually the ones who suffer when things go wrong.
I would not recommend driving for this company.
Not bad
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Milan, TNAugust 4, 2014
Company was great , I can walk too work .. Didnt like my manager , he had np prior experience in running a crew of drivers.. Overall not bad..
Pros
close too home
Cons
bad manager
Good pay. Poor atmosphere
Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2014
Some favoritism from managers made work environment tough. Crew were dealing with gossip and jealousy. Very limited upward mobility or incentives. The pay was good and I was salaried. They offered insurance plans that were average in cost. Expected to work long hours.
Pros
health care, salaried income
Cons
many managers equals many bosses. i felt intimidated.
Loved it!
Supervisor -Dock and Office (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2014
Closed my division, but I miss it very much. Great place to work with awesome people.
they were ok people
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 30, 2014
They were nice people but would tell you one thing and do the total opposite they didn't take care of trucks or trailers
Pros
same start time
Cons
never know when you are going to get off
Dewayne Watkins
Local / Regional truck driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMarch 14, 2014
I hauled commodities to customers in a dry van.
nice company to work for
good for some and not for all
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  jackson,tnFebruary 23, 2014
get in truck pick up deliver load wait for next load and run. very hard to please all people.
Pros
will run
Cons
somtimes will run to hard
Customer Service, freight scheduler
Customer Service Representative, OSD Clerk (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 18, 2014
Company consolidated its services. It was an excellent opportunity.
small terminal, with co workers from previous company
Billing Clerk/Customer Service/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 17, 2014
stayed busy the majority of the day with variety of duties. learned a great deal about transportation and all that goes with it. never the same every day.
Pros
worked with others from previous company
Cons
was asked to do work that was not supposed to be done by me
good people to work for
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNDecember 23, 2013
I enjoyed the freedom of the job, and the people I worked for.the pay wasn't that great and the benefits was to high,but the equipment I drove was nice and well maintained.
Pros
the freedom i had and equipment i drove
Cons
benefit package and pay
This compnay was bought out. No longer at the location I worked at.
Forklift Driver/Yard Truck Driver (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHOctober 2, 2013
Part time work. Company was bought out by another company and moved.
they had nice trucks
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2013
they was a alright company but it had its ups and down, could have been a little better
Fun workplace, professional environment
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Milan, TNApril 3, 2013
Good people to work for. Never a dull moment.Constantly on the go, long days, but fulfilling. Only hard part of job was learning backing maneuvers. The best part was the people I worked with. Diverse, but enjoyable to be around.
Pros
great staff
Cons
wasn't there very long
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNNovember 15, 2012
Not a bad trucking company to work for. They hire new drivers right out of school. If you go to their driving school they offer tuitions reimbursement. Management is pretty laid back as long as you do your job. They run paper logs mostly, some truck have E-logs. They have newer truck to drive and the shop maintains them pretty well. You'll get home on the weekends, typically saturday morning and not have to leave out again until monday morning, although you may have to leave on sunday. IF you are new to truck driving you will have good weeks and bad weeks as far as miles go. This is the same with any company you work for though. I would still work there, but I found a local job that got me home everyday. The only complaint I have is that 75% of the places you go to, Milan does not have directions to. They don't update their customers phone numbers or directions in their Qualcomm system. So while you are with a trainer, invest in a GPS before you get your own truck.
Pros
descent pay, descent miles, home on weekends
Cons
no directions to customers in qualcomm, health insurance costs are high.
Good
Pickup and Delivery Driver/ Dock (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 22, 2012
I really loved this place. They cared about you and it showed. It was a meat and potatoes job. I miss this so much. Its sad that this place stop doing LTL.
Pros
plain and simple.
Cons
pay.

2.7