- Support an always-available cloud-based SaaS platform
- Support application deployments, building new systems and upgrading and patching existing ones.
- Develop automation to quickly and rapidly deploy instances from hardened images
- Using monitoring tools to find problems, resolve and/or escalate to development and ensure that we exceed our SLAs
- Build and manage development and testing environments, assisting developers in debugging application issues
- Participate in the building of tools and processes to support the infrastructure
- Contribute to the creation of system support documents such as run books used by support teams.
- Leverage scripting to build required automation and tools on an adhoc basis.
- Operate the platform within our security and privacy guidelines
- Learn on the job and explore new technologies with little supervision.
- A bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience managing a production Linux environment.
- Linux administration experience (CentOS, Ubuntu, RedHat) with a focus on web (Apache, Nginx)
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to mentor and teach others on operations standards
- Prior operations experience
- A proven real-world track record of successful management of server fleets
- 3+ years of scripting in Perl, Python or Ruby
- Experience with configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, CFEngine, Ansible).
- Firm grasp of core operating system concepts (processes, threading, memory management, filesystem types, ACLs).
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols.
- Solid understanding of tiered security concepts (network, OS, application).
- Experience with open-source monitoring solutions (Nagios, Ganglia, Sensu, Graphite, Zenoss).
- Understanding of the value of simplicity and of reliable automation.
- Understanding of good software engineering practices/patterns/architecture
- An ability to write clean, elegant, readable and well-documented scripts/code
- Ability to work to project milestones and production deadlines
- Solid experience with Amazon Web Services technologies such as EC2, RDS, DynamoDB and S3
- Build/Test/Release cycle experience
- Java Application Server administration and tuning experience (Glassfish, Weblogic, Tomcat, Websphere)
- Solid understanding of database concepts and experience with MySQL, MongoDB, and PostGresSQL)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery methodologies