Milgard Manufacturing Employee Reviews

Overworked, Underpaid, and Under Trained!! Run the other way!!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAAugust 2, 2016
All about what's good for the company not the employees at all...unless you're either on the management team or in good with the management team. The left hand doesn't talk to the right hand. They talk about the lean concept but I dont think they have a clue on how to actually apply it effectively. Production works very long hrs with barely any pay. You can find a less back breaking job for the same pay elsewhere... and actually be trained on it!! Office staff is paid well but long hrs and no real synergy as a team. Lots of gossip about each other out in the open, which to me is very unprofessional. Most dysfunctional company I've ever been with. Oh, and god forbid you have a family emergency... kiss your job goodbye because it's about the points, not the issue at hand. Steer clear!!
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no real training, point system
Poor management and Philosophies. Racial discrimination
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 25, 2016
Worked for them for 12 years. Watched the downfall of the Milgard Philosophy. Racial discrimination and very poor management. No room for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Very poor management
Production
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  TacomaApril 21, 2016
Poor management lead in department micro manage want you to learn multiple positions. Overall is just terrible place to work. Face past environmental and this company will send you home early I repeat will send you home early even when there is work. Raise is poor3% how can you get ahead even so, think again and good luck..! Not my cup of tea ". Note high turn around on employee worst than car dealerships in sales man..!!
Pros
Some bbq
Cons
Short break
Very Productive and Successful lean-manufacturing company
Inside Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Employee culture is engaging and the management team is encouraging and available to help. This company instills time and knowledge for individuals to grow and develop professionally. Accountability for being productive is graded on individual performance which impacts department performance. Milgard compensates for top performance through incentive programs and is reflected in base pay. Milgard is the best company I have worked for!
Terrible place to work
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAOctober 1, 2016
Management is unprofessional human resource department is no good.the manager worst place to work ever. Work there 2 years management does not care about employee or employees value only about what's good for Milgard very unprofessional company.
Pros
No pros.
Cons
Dont ever work at milgard temecula
Good Ol Boys Club
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 12, 2016
top heavy with Management recruiting "yes" people. Please do not have an original thought and please do not communicate it. Co Workers are great. Products are not up to par with the industry. Quality has suffered in the last year and Customer Service Satisfaction has dropped immensely.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Management has been there forever and is out of touch
Quiet, tedious, and not geared towards improvement
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 24, 2016
I started my contract as a software engineer with Milgard corporate working from 06:00 until 17:00 Monday through Thursday, and 06:00 until 15:00 Friday. For most people those hours would be inhumane, but it wasn't that bad. I had to leave the house every morning at 05:15 to make the drive (10.3 miles) where the project was located, which landed me there between 05:35 and 05:50 every day. Leaving work at 17:00 I would get home between 17:55 and 18:20, with just enough time to eat and get ready for bed. Because of that it became my life, and there wasn't room for much of a social life. Once I arrived every morning and sat down at my desk is where the real issues began. Every morning, we had a meeting at 07:00 to discuss the previous day's accomplishments and lay out the next 9 hours worth of work. Because of this, the first hour of my day was often spent scraping through old code looking for something to keep myself busy. Our morning meetings usually lasted about 5 minutes, the quickest I remember was between 45 seconds and 1 minute, and the longest was about 12 minutes. That was the extent of the social interaction for the day. I did enjoy the peace and quiet, even after other employees began to show up around 09:00 it remained quiet most of the day. The problem I had was the incredibly slow work pace. I prefer to always have a task on my hand, or at least one on the back burner to fill time, that was often not the case here. I don't believe that was because my work pace was above normal, but simply because the team managers were hesitant to assign new tasks and allow other  more... team members to gain new skills, or possibly use ones they already had but weren't provided the opportunity to use yet. The work was tedious, and was very heavy in data validation and testing. Despite it being painfully tedious, I commend the company for being so OCD about finding and squashing bugs, as it really did help smooth the road as we went into deployment. The company compensated us well for a base salary, and we had overtime on top of that. I think that more than made up for the type of work we had to do and the hours we worked. My biggest issue with Milgard was the massive lack of communication. I was brought on with a 3 month contract, which is extremely short, but told that there was a great possibility that they would be extending contracts. I expected to have even a hint at the final decision at least 3 weeks out, but as the deadline approached there was no word. I had asked my manager three times to determine if my contract would be extended and was not given a straight answer until the end of my contract, when they chose not to renew them.  less
Pros
Pay, quiet atmosphere
Cons
Management communication
A great place to work
Lead in Production (Former Employee) –  Fife, WANovember 4, 2016
A great place to work and learn about how windows are made. You can achieve your goals if you are interested in leadership. There is a philosophy that helps with respecting the individual.
Pros
Hours if you want to work
its a fun place to work, everyone get along well
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 15, 2016
it is a face pace environment, leaders knows what they are doing and as well as the leads that lead each line. I will always enjoy working here no matter what!!! they have taught me a lot in the process
Short sighted management.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAFebruary 7, 2015
Management is out of touch with realities of day to day of the production floor. Training of employees has taken a back seat while expectations have continued to grow. Specifically the trainer position at my location was eliminated completely while their quality requirements continued to grow to an extent that exceeded the capabilities of their employees and even their chosen technology. The lean culture is a joke and more of a check the box activity than a true continuous improvement effort.

Historical accounts of employees who have risen to management from the production floor are commonplace, but no longer seem to be realities. Don't expect much for career growth in this company. Wages also seemed poor for industry peers.
Cons
Incompetent management, low wages.
Working with large window and doors was overwhelming with 5 people in dept. when we had 9 people last summer.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 8, 2015
Pull windows according to ship dates, mask window prep for painting, mix paint with hardner and water, paint windows. Bake windows in oven at 130 degrees for 20 minutes. Demask windows, detail put vents in windows, package for shipment. I learned to take vents out of windows and mask windows and doors according to company specs. There's as much turnover with management as hourly people on the floor including supervisors. I was 1 of 4 painters direct hire that started up the new paint dept. last febuary only 2 original painters left. They hire people with no experience a lot of co-workers don't want to work. Hardest part of job would be continually lifting heavy windows manually some windows take 5 to 7 people to lift onto portable carts and when you only have 5 people in the dept. it wears on each individuals body, always sore physically.Most enjoyable part of job is steady pay check, benefits and Sundays off.
Pros
benefits, steady pay check
Cons
heavy lifting, fast pace, 45% retention, always training new hires
Good company, good culture
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2015
Enjoyed the culture, they are good about goal setting and trying to get the hourly employees to buy in to the vision of the company. Often sales would outpace what the production could do in a day and overtime would be required. HR had a hard time staffing hourly positions. Might have still been working for them if they hadn't shut down SLC manufacturing plant.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Work life balance could be out of wack
Good job HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!
operator (Former Employee) –  dixon caJanuary 31, 2014
The Dixon location feeds your hopes and dreams when you first come in the door, that there is room to advance and move up in the company. Truth is everyone in the location employee wise was telling me to get out while I could, that there was no advancement, and that they treat you like they own you! I was worried and then started to see and experience it first hand! The graveyard supervisor was the worst... very smug, is a know it all and has only been with the company 2 months. In the meetings at the start of shifts was threating peoples jobs, and telling them that us as temps would take their jobs! crazy...glad I got out.
Pros
cool co workers
Cons
management, pay is low, no advancement, black outs on vacation, they wont work around your life/schedule and expect you to bend over backwards for them!
Expectations Don't Meet Reality
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 1, 2014
I loved working with the company. The employees were my drive and learning what they knew made the days go quick. Everyday was different being that we make custom windows and everyone was always learning. BUT, micromanagement is a huge problem there as well as they expect that every window take the same time to produce i.e. a small picture window to a 7ft x 12ft custom window. Then question why weren't we able to meet our UPH Goals. They Preach safety yet they have us working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and still expect these outlandish goals. They blame it on the employees that are quitting and getting fired but in reality it's the company's pressure and expectations.

Lastly, the training. There is none. They have Job Instructed Trainers (that normally work on the line) to train new employees, but also expect them to still work on the line and hit their hourly goals. Not effective. Takes 3 times longer to train someone like that. Most new employees are just thrown onto the line and left there to figure out what to do. If they make it, great; if they don't, they're gone! There's a review down below that said it took them 2 months to get trained. That's insane.
Pros
Great employees, Great benefits, All warehouse personnel are amazing
Cons
Too many managers/supervisors/leads, NO training, no family/life during summer (to include weekends and some holidays)
Okay place to work but low pay for how much is expected
Inventory (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 12, 2016
Very much an every man, every manager, every department for itself company. Training programs are starting to evolve but have not been in place prior to now and new employees are just left to figure it out on their own or fail. Over time is not expected but it is there if you want to work it. Like any other place to work, some co-workers, supervisors and managers are great, and others are rude and not helpful at all.
bad
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAFebruary 28, 2016
treat employee bad no respect for hard working employees under payed respect not a got part working out side is nise wangt got and so
High pressure and a lot of overtime required.
SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2014
I worked in the Warranty Service Department at the Sacramento plant and it was an extremely high pressure call center environment. It was never mandatory, nor was I informed during the hiring process, but the job required 10-12 hour days plus working Saturdays to keep up with the work load. All the coordinators were under a lot of pressure on a daily basis to keep up with their work while taking consecutive phone calls all day long. I suppose some people like this sort of job, but it was not for me. The supervisor had a negative focused style of management. They really need robots to work there that have no feelings or life outside of Milgard.
Pros
Milgard is supposed to be one of the most desirable companies to work for, but I did not get that impression.
Cons
There were a lot of rules to comply with, besides the company philosophy that even the Managers do not practice themselves.
lovely people, works with you if you need time off
Manufacture (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, wa.August 21, 2014
a day at milgard is hard, most of us have a lot to do everyday jumping form one thing to the next, but all the people there are fun to work with. starting here i learned more then i thought i would, learning everything from what to look for on a window to doing SDL. my co-workers are the best they are more then people i work with they are my friends like a little family. the hardest part of the job would have to be the long hours in the summer. but over all i am happy that i got a job here, the work gets easy with in 1 or 2 mouths as long a you make friend there.
Pros
good people
Cons
works weekend, long hours (mostly in summer). gets hot in buildings
fast pace work. Makes the day go by fast
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Fife, WASeptember 9, 2012
Input sizes in computor, wash grid, put together, cut pieces as needed.Worked with alot of nice people. Had great management. The hardest part of the job was the long days.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
early starts and a lot of overtime
Great place to work, Great people and great incentives.
Pultrusion Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAMay 31, 2012
A normal production environment, Great interactions with management and leads. Some great incentives for advancement.

2.8