Military Sealift Command Employee Reviews

Stressful very unstable work invironment
cook baker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2017
Day starts at 10:00 pm at night prepare kitchen for food production start equipment and goto store room to acquire food items clean all work areas and start food production I learned how being proactive can make the job more pleasurable the work place culture is difficult and stressful the hardest part of the job is communication the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my customers pleased and happy.
Pros
Federal benedits
Cons
Short vacation and the beaurocacy
It's a difficult lifestyle with too much politics.
3rd Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 21, 2017
Days can be mundane or terrifying. I learned about dealing with difficult people. Management..............disconnected. Workplace culture breeds apathy. The hardest part of the job is being away from family and dealing with apathetic management. The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling to different countries and being paid to do so.
Pros
Secure job once you're past the probationary period.
Cons
Dealing with difficult, toxic people who enjoy abusing their power.
Productive and fun place with a ping pong table
SUPPLY UTILITYMAN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 31, 2017
Best job I ever had. Not being able to see my kids grow up who were much younger at the time really got me down. Wish they were better at releasing people when its time to go on leave. It was hard trying to plan a vacation with my family when you don't know exactly when they are going to let you go home. Other than that I loved the pay and the traveling. Wish I could do it again.
Great work enviornment
Data entry expert (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23511May 23, 2017
Everyday is different, you learn more as you go. I've grown not only as a logistic specialist but also as a person. I do my best everyday to help out with the finances at home and to give my family a good future.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Short vacations
Good
Engineer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 18, 2017
Training, benefits of travel to different countries. Dealt with all branches of the military. Worked with many different cultures on the Naval ship. Discussions on missions were kept within the ship and not discussed with civilians.
Excellent place to work
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2017
A typical day at work was to ensure that I sorted and distributed mail throughout the agency. I made daily mail runs to other facilities to drop off and pickup mail. Other duties (see resume). This job was one of the first permanent jobs that I held, which was longer than 5 years. I worked well with my colleagues and the office environment was always fun. I didn't have any instances where I thought the job was hard.
Pros
I had benefits, enjoyed working with my colleages, supervisor great!
Cons
n/a
productive to the ships receiving cargo and fuel
mechant seaman (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJApril 25, 2017
was a nice place to work and see the world,work in all weather conditionit wasn't a 9 to 5 job,work early morning,and late nights,good place for advancement,depending on the person,on some ships,youhad good captain,and other,hmmm,not so good//////////////
Pros
travels, the oppuntunity to advance and the pay was better than being at home///////////////
Cons
missing born days, families, etc...
Sailor's Life
Shipped out as a Cadet Observer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2017
It was a good internship. I was eager to learn, and the engineer's were eager to teach. You just need to understand that you won't be able to see your family and friends for extended periods of time.
Awesome place to work
Chief Radio Electronic Technician (CRET) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 16, 2017
Working for MSC is a great place to put your military experience to work & also get to see the world. .................dddjd./........................
Opportunities
Third Assistant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 12, 2017
It is a great opportunity to advance your license quickly and experience different platforms, but the advancement in positions are not always equal to the advancement of your knowledge. Time off is not great

Want to know more about Military Sealift Command?

Ask a question
Very fast-paced
Chief Radio Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 11, 2017
Military Sealift Command in an extremely fast-paced environment. The company provides steady work with a wide-range of personnel experience. Steady employment.
Productive work environment
Wiper (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 6, 2017
Great company work for excellent benefits, aboard ship crew is usually friendly, great career advancement opportunities and overtime is allowed the majority of time.
Productive place to work
Able Bodied Seaman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 24, 2017
Daily maintenance and sanitation of ship. Load and offload cargo in port and while underway. Always learning new skills for advancement. Wonderful people to work with.
Pros
Able to travel the world.
Cons
n/a
Enjoy
Lead Financial Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 12, 2017
I am enjoyed my job at the MSC (Military Sealift Command) because it was interesting every day we dealt with different civilian Mariners on a daily basis.
No rotation
Operations Officer / Navigator (Second Officer) (Current Employee) –  GlobalMarch 11, 2017
This company gives no real opportunity to spend any time at home while employed without taking a major pay cut. If you get off the ship to go home you lose your spot on the ship.
Pros
The job itself is good
Cons
No off time
Fair
Able Seaman-Bridge (Former Employee) –  HawaiiMarch 5, 2017
Fair to say that I am really tired of this review system. How do I get out with out losing all my data for employers to see. Please revise this tortuous system.
good

- Workflow
- Do easy 2 minute things first

Done List:
- Finalize plans with Brad Lee
- Schedule gym b/c you need it
- Post on Instagram
- Prep for interview phone call w/ Nina
- Contact Eshe
Diverse, world wide operation.
Fleet Industrial Hygiene Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2017
Diverse job. I support ocean going vessels by conducting or overseeing the conduct of onboard industrial hygiene surveys to include conducting underway exposure monitoring. I have daily direct liaison with onboard safety officers and advise on safety program and safety compliance issues. I also advice senior headquarter staff members on safety and occupational health related matters. I draft safety management system programs to detail procedures and requirements of critical safety program elements.
Pros
divers, dynamic, and I operate world wide on a range of safety and occupational health related topics.
Cons
extensive air travel
Excellent Work Place
LEAD GFM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 1, 2017
Military Sealift Command was more than a person could want in an employer. Help sustain my family completely for my entire career. Everyone I worked with were true professionals.
Pros
Goverment
Cons
daily commute
great work with great benefits
THIRD MATE (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 23, 2017
while working as a third mate at MSC you will see the world and learn to work with others both teaching and learning from those above and below you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Military Sealift Command. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4