Milliman Employee Reviews

Not a good Company
Actuarial Analyst, Life (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 19, 2016
This is not a good company especially for new grads. There is no security. If you don't want to advance in your career, then this is a good company for you. No training is provided and they don't care about your advancement( at least my boss was like that).
Pros
Stay away from this company
Cons
Very bad company to work for
Great benefits, terrible management
Lead Actuary (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2016
work here if you plan on learning your basic skills. overall the pay is great but the management needs to learn people skills. would only recommend if you have no other choice.
Position Overview
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, NJAugust 31, 2016
• Process and review manual calculations involving actuarial analysis
• Prepare Actuarial valuation data, participants’ statements and clients’ reports
• Create comprehensive analytical reports and reconcile data from previous valuations
• Assist with research projects
• Review, organize and analyze statistical data
• Draft client communications
• Successfully passed Actuarial Exam P and Sitting for Exam FM
Great company to work for.
Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2014
I worked in a call center. I assisted participants with questions about their 401k accounts. The management team at Milliman is excellent. They make sure you are well informed of what is expected and provide all tools and information needed and required to perform the job. All co-workers were respectful and professional at all times. Everyone worked well together as a team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with participants who were disrespectful. For the most part most participants were awesome. Many of the participants would call every day. This provided an opportunity to really get to know them. That made the job very enjoyable.
Pros
Free coffee and soft drinks. Earned time off.
Cons
Mandatory overtime required almost every Monday and Tuesday.
Incredibly talented coworkers and high expectations
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 7, 2015
This company is a top tier consulting fimr that continually hires motivated, driven and intelligent people. The work was varied, fast paced and often strenuous but the compensation was commensurate with such expectations. Management seemed genuinely concerned with their employees and attempted to encourage a work/life balance.
Pros
Fair compensation, flexible work schedules, treated fairly, little red tape, talented and extremely intelligent coworkers
Cons
Long hours and difficult busy seasons
It is a great place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 10, 2016
I have worked here for three years. I love my job, and the perks are very nice. It isn't for people who like to have a lot of people interaction. People here don't like to take PTO.
Longstanding firm with the ability to get your foot in the corporate door
Assistant Office Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 2, 2014
In facilities I serviced over 450 employees with only a crew of 3. 5 people if you include the receptionist and the Mail Clerk. You learn a lot about the ins and outs of the corporate world, including the politics and personalities that may go along with it. My team worked well together, because we all knew what the job can be like at times, which allowed a bond to form with an understanding that we are all in it together. The hardest part of the job could be the internal clients at times. They do not see what all goes into the job, and will at times neglect the work you do because they may only care about what they need done at that time. Which could be work that may go unnoticed or unappreciated. The most enjoyable part of the job is looking at the finished product. Because you are the only one who knows what all went into getting the project completed, you will be the most pleased with the finished product and a job well done.
Pros
Solid benefits and job security
Cons
Office politics and a lack of culture that reflects today's workforce
Pros/Cons
None (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 8, 2015
A great co to work for,short working week,great benefits.

Not a place to socialize a very quiet environment. Little or no training provided.Growing fast,HR needs to have more control than just management for layoffs.
Cons
Benefits could better
Productive workplace.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 8, 2016
Typical work day is interactive via conference calls with your co-workers in multiple offices to get the job done in a accurate and timely manner. Co-workers are friendly. Management is approachable for questions.
Pros
Annual training at consultants forums
Cons
Career advancement
Great environment to learn
Associate Consultant (Former Employee) –  AmsterdamJuly 7, 2016
Good projects, nice co-workers, friendly environment.
I learned about non-life insurance, working with ResQ and Prophet. Working for different clients. The most enjoyable part is working with really smart coworkers and learning from them.
Pros
Annual trip
Cons
No retirement plan
Great place to with great leaders.
Sr. Benefits Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 21, 2012
I enjoyed working for this company. they have a great management staff and great benefits for employees. I learned alot from my tenure there with customer service skills and working as a team to get our goals accomplished.
Pros
friendly team oriented organization.
Cons
occasional overtime.
Challenging
Marketing Strategy Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 20, 2014
If a person can handle a lot of micro-managing and accept the role of being an order-taking, idea-withholding extension of their manager, then that person can expect to excel at Milliman.
Pros
Good salary/benefits
Cons
Lots of micro-managing, Hard to find anyone who has a clear idea of annual objectives, and addressing that problem is not welcome.
Competitive Consulting Environment
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTFebruary 4, 2015
Milliman provides competitive compensation and benefits package and treats their employees with utmost respect and integrity. Since Milliman is structured as a consulting environment catering to clients, our budgeted working time must be met consistently and efficiently. Working in Retirement Benefits, you find that the most challenging aspects are keeping up with the learning curves while improving speed and efficiency. Attention to details could not be emphasized further.

Though there is a steep learning curve, management and team members provided patience, time, and courtesy to walk me through the ropes so that I can be independent. There was strong focus on the development of my skills in key actuarial tasks such as measuring impact on liability via scenario tests/projections, synthesis of data, developing actuarial assumptions through demographic/trend observations and much more.

Though I've learned a great a deal and work in a great setting, the consulting aspect of the benefits department can dig into your time outside of work. It is not uncommon to find myself working a few hours past 5 or coming in on Saturday/Sunday to complete work. This is great for those who enjoy the challenge, but it makes things difficult when studying for exams. Understandably so, priority goes to client deadlines/work over credentials. Demographically speaking, our department currently has a few analysts with exams, myself included.
Pros
Comprehensive benefits, free drinks, occasional outings
Cons
Little emphasis on pursuing exams
Very busy office.
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, NJMarch 23, 2016
Typical work day is very interactive with your co-workers to get the job done in a accurate and timely manner. Co-workers are friendly and very easy to approach for questions. Management is very approachable for questions.
Great job
Plan Administrator (Former Employee) –  DALLAS TXJune 4, 2012
Great prople to work with at Milliman.Great hours and benefits.
Pros
great break room
Productive and friendly workplace
Benefits Analyst II, QKA (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJAugust 17, 2014
Handle various of different tasks from reviewing: new pension payment, or payment changes, or address/direct deposit/Fed & State tax updating, or perform monthly payment reconciliations, or review and authorize communication with participants of 28 clients..etc. The day is field with so many tasks so it flies very quick.
From my daily work I have gained an extensive knowledge in pension administration for a full spectrum of pension plans such as: financial, government, union, education, and nonprofit organization.
Work with vary diverse culture co-workers and have learned a lot about different cultures.
I would say the hardest part of the job is when you have a participant that is in need for the payment immediately but we are not able to process since he/she has not returned everything or time wise we have to follow business guideline processing.
I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is helping participants, making sure they receive what they have worked for and the diversity of daily tasks, learning new things everyday and enjoying the people I work with.
Pros
No commute to work since I work few minutes from my house.
Linear progression
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJSeptember 29, 2015
I loved the people I worked with here. However there wasn't much opportunity for growth. The company ladder was more of a sidewalk.
Pros
Great peers, company activities
Cons
No growth
A quality company with educated employees and solid core values.
Client Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 2, 2014
A quality company with educated employees and solid core values.
Pros
Knowledgable Employees/Quiet environment/Educational assistance
Cons
Career advancement opportunities/Internal communication silos
Job instabilty
Retirement Communications & Education Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 2, 2013
I was a public speaker, educator, trainer, and writer for our Milliman's internal and external strategic communications programs. I spent a lot of time traveling throughout the country delivering power point presentations and motivational speeches in regards to financial education and security for the future. On November 11, 2013 I was laid off due to company downsizing.
Great place to work!
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2014
Milliman is a great company with many opportunities in the IT area. Great challenges and rewards.
Pros
challenges and opportunities
Cons
Location for corporate is in Seattle

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milliman. Our community is ready to answer.