Mills College Employee Reviews

Review
Externship Student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 2, 2018
based on position, there were little to no real interaction with management for needed technical guidance or support. Although training was provided, it was quick and short. It lacked the clarity needed to properly facilitate projects correctly.
There was also an expected standard of knowledge one needed to have, even though the position was an internship program (where on the job training was promised). There was limited training in all aspects of the IT environment, which provided missing one the job training needed.
Pros
Exposed to many different academic environments, and practice on customer service skills
Cons
Lack of exposure to a variety of IT areas for on the job training
Human Resources
Assistant Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 27, 2017
Very hard for me to fire someone. My personality is more of the caretaker, did not like when the employee would cry when I had to fire them. Once they took away the benefit of college for my two daughter's (I was a single mom) I was given the opportunity to work closer to home and flexible hours starting out as a Realtor's Assistant before getting my license as an Agent myself.
Pros
Made great friends
Cons
Commute and long hours
Internship
N/A (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 14, 2017
This was an internship for work study and future career advancement. I learned a lot about what working as an Athletic Trainer looks like. The environment was very relaxed and rewarding as I got to maintain and use some of the state of the art equipment at the time.
Pros
Fun environment
troubled but improving
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 23, 2017
School is/was going through a period of poor management and an identity crisis but were making many and hard efforts to improve those areas. In my time there, not much room for growth could be found.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 17, 2017
Mills College is beautiful place to work. It's a gated private/public campus with victorian buildings, grassy fields and lots of trees. I recommend working here for early-mid level entry officers that are ready to patrol campus, perform building checks and escorts to students.
Pros
Flexible work schedule. Great if you have children and/school etc.
Benefits
Unhealthy working environment
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 9, 2017
Managment needs management training. Human resources department is unstable and manages to retain the socially inept employees. Job security, staff morale, and 403(b) retirement match or contribution do not exist. Ageism exists.

But Mills wasn't always like this, it once was a smooth running institution that wasn't toxic. But with the current administration and management, it is going down hill and management has no shame and does not have consideration for staff that is actually doing the work.

Hopefully, Mills will be the power house it once was, but not with this current management.
Pros
Campus wide July Friday half days (if your manager will let you participate).
Cons
Some power hungry managers, no 403(b) retirement match or contribution, ageism.
Strong mission, engaged employees, beautiful campus
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 21, 2017
I've enjoyed my time working at Mills. The employees and professors are wonderful and care about the school and students, and the mission is important. I wish the best for the school's future.
Pros
People, pretty campus
Cons
salary
Ok
Helpdesk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 11, 2017
Mills is a good place to get your feet set and learn some professional skills. People are friendly and helpful, if not driven. Things slip between the cracks and there is a forgiving nature in general accross campus. A good place to get started in your career.
Pros
Beautiful campus, Nice Retirement match etc
Cons
no advancement opportunities, tonedeaf upper management
I attended Mills college for a BA in studio arts.
Student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 2, 2017
My experience as a student at Mills college was absolutely wonderful. My teachers were truly dedicated and supportive. The school environment was conducive to learning and helping each student to reach their potential. I consider myself as one of those students!
Pros
Happy and positive learning environment
Cons
Almost everyone experienced stress during exams
Going through a rough identity transformation
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 1, 2017
Many systems and protocols are dated, school was not run very well for a long time by a poor president and neglectful board and has been going through painful reorganization for years. multiple rounds of layoffs, hiring freezes, salary freezes had been in place for my entire 5 years working there. No opportunity in many departments.
Pros
Moral boost of working in education sector
Cons
not much room for growth, little stability
Unique Work Environment
Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 21, 2016
Loved working with the Mills students and collaborating with my colleagues and supervisor. Hopeful about the potential institutional impact of the incoming president.
Fun and productive workplace in the heart of Oakland
Admissions Office Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2016
Mills College is a very accepting environment. The Admissions Office is a seasonally busy environment, with the bulk of applications being submitted and processed between January and April. My co-workers and I enjoyed a slightly less formal relationship with each other and were always willing to lend a hand during events and long-term projects. Supervisors are understanding of both personal and professional conflicts that may arise, though management could be slightly more organized with a clearer chain of command on large events and projects.
Productive and friendly environment.
Graduate Assistant, Office of Graduate Admissions (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2016
On a typical day, I am in the office, working on a project. My morning starts with a review of all voicemail, including transferring the message, and responding to the callers. Then I work on whichever project has been assigned on Trello (a separate website for time management, and projects) unless specifically told to work on one project over another. After a while I may move to the front depending on if I have to give a tour or if the original Front Desk ambassador has called out.
Pros
Great people, and warm environment.
Cons
Short breaks, and limited scheduling.
poor leadership
academic advisor (Former Employee) –  Upward Bound ProgramDecember 1, 2015
I worked at Mills college and found poor leadership, and tough working conditions especially in Upward Bound. I would not recommend working at this college at this time. The president is leaving after this year, and the college is changing from it's history of a liberal arts college for undergraduate women to something else not yet defined.
Pros
in Oakland
Cons
poor working conditions
Small liberal arts college
Undergraduate research student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 23, 2015
Mills College is a small liberal arts college, which allows for plenty of student-teacher interactions. There are some research opportunities for undergraduates to obtain research experience.
Pros
Small size
Great school, good people
Reader (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2015
As a student worker, high minimum wage in Oakland is a plus, and people working in the offices are friendly and kind. They are not the most organized or fast at doing paperwork though
great pool and facility, but Mills lacks competitive wages for their employees
LG/WSI/POOL ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2015
I was trained and certified at this pool, and I am a student. This facility is top notch and so is the staff that works hard to run it, but Mills as an employer lacks competitive wages and benefits for their employees. The staff is very well trained but under appreciated.
Interesting people and good learning experience.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 27, 2015
For a usual day, I get there 45 minutes early and set up all equipment needed for the rehearsal. I am in charge when the teacher is not there as well as help out in any way shape or form. I have arranged and transposed parts for the ensemble. This job requires me to be the teaching assistant for both Mill's Music Improvisation Ensemble and Contemporary Performance Ensemble. Best part of the job is working with so many interesting students.
Great Office Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 14, 2015
On a typical day I made the morning's coffee, watered the plants, turned on the lights and opened the windows. Then I would check the voicemails and make notes of people I needed to call back. Once 9 AM rolled around I turned the phone on and began responding to voicemails. As calls arrived I talked to people on the phone and answered their questions or directed them to other people in the office.
When Guests came in I talked with them and found the appropriate people to help them. I conducted tours of the college campus where I interacted with perspective students and answered questions.
When I was not working at the front desk I would work on projects such as recruitment calls, stuffing envelopes, filing, or inputing data.
Pros
professional, free coffee, great experience
Office worker
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 30, 2014
I enjoyed both the management and the office environment of my job. I had simple but rewarding tasks.
Pros
excellent co-workers
Cons
difficult to balance with schoolwork