Mills College Employee Reviews

Fun and productive workplace in the heart of Oakland
Admissions Office Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2016
Mills College is a very accepting environment. The Admissions Office is a seasonally busy environment, with the bulk of applications being submitted and processed between January and April. My co-workers and I enjoyed a slightly less formal relationship with each other and were always willing to lend a hand during events and long-term projects. Supervisors are understanding of both personal and professional conflicts that may arise, though management could be slightly more organized with a clearer chain of command on large events and projects.
Productive and friendly environment.
Graduate Assistant, Office of Graduate Admissions (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2016
On a typical day, I am in the office, working on a project. My morning starts with a review of all voicemail, including transferring the message, and responding to the callers. Then I work on whichever project has been assigned on Trello (a separate website for time management, and projects) unless specifically told to work on one project over another. After a while I may move to the front depending on if I have to give a tour or if the original Front Desk ambassador has called out.
Pros
Great people, and warm environment.
Cons
Short breaks, and limited scheduling.
poor leadership
academic advisor (Former Employee) –  Upward Bound ProgramDecember 1, 2015
I worked at Mills college and found poor leadership, and tough working conditions especially in Upward Bound. I would not recommend working at this college at this time. The president is leaving after this year, and the college is changing from it's history of a liberal arts college for undergraduate women to something else not yet defined.
Pros
in Oakland
Cons
poor working conditions
Small liberal arts college
Undergraduate research student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 23, 2015
Mills College is a small liberal arts college, which allows for plenty of student-teacher interactions. There are some research opportunities for undergraduates to obtain research experience.
Pros
Small size
Great school, good people
Reader (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2015
As a student worker, high minimum wage in Oakland is a plus, and people working in the offices are friendly and kind. They are not the most organized or fast at doing paperwork though
great pool and facility, but Mills lacks competitive wages for their employees
LG/WSI/POOL ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2015
I was trained and certified at this pool, and I am a student. This facility is top notch and so is the staff that works hard to run it, but Mills as an employer lacks competitive wages and benefits for their employees. The staff is very well trained but under appreciated.
Interesting people and good learning experience.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 27, 2015
For a usual day, I get there 45 minutes early and set up all equipment needed for the rehearsal. I am in charge when the teacher is not there as well as help out in any way shape or form. I have arranged and transposed parts for the ensemble. This job requires me to be the teaching assistant for both Mill's Music Improvisation Ensemble and Contemporary Performance Ensemble. Best part of the job is working with so many interesting students.
Great Office Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 14, 2015
On a typical day I made the morning's coffee, watered the plants, turned on the lights and opened the windows. Then I would check the voicemails and make notes of people I needed to call back. Once 9 AM rolled around I turned the phone on and began responding to voicemails. As calls arrived I talked to people on the phone and answered their questions or directed them to other people in the office.
When Guests came in I talked with them and found the appropriate people to help them. I conducted tours of the college campus where I interacted with perspective students and answered questions.
When I was not working at the front desk I would work on projects such as recruitment calls, stuffing envelopes, filing, or inputing data.
Pros
professional, free coffee, great experience
Office worker
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 30, 2014
I enjoyed both the management and the office environment of my job. I had simple but rewarding tasks.
Pros
excellent co-workers
Cons
difficult to balance with schoolwork
What I learned
Reader (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 25, 2014
I thought that reading was just that, but I learned that it is a part of the learning experience and that I had a responsibility to my student. I had to research and provide different sources for learning.
an amazing place to work
Popular American Culture Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 22, 2012
I love working there... but the drive TO work was a bit scary through the center of Oakland. But I felt very safe on campus
my day was good...and the people are nice too..
Custodian, Front Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 19, 2012
How to work with people...and co-worker and the boss...it was a nice job to have.....
Pros
good food..
Cons
co-worker

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mills College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4