Milton Hershey School

Milton Hershey School Employee Reviews

Providing a rewarding experience with disadvantaged children
Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 8, 2015
I lived in a student home where I prepared students for duties and responsibilities as they progressed into adulthood. Management would perform weekly visits and/or meetings to track students development and well being. The position required long work hours, 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. The most enjoyable part of the position was watching young minds develop.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long hours, difficult separation from work/family life, management did not allow independent counseling based on individual student needs
rewarding and fulfilling
Life and career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 6, 2015
I work at MHS as a surrogate parent to twelve high school girls.
The job is very demanding and stressful. However, the reward is very big because one has the opportunity to appreciate the growth of students entrusted to one's care.
Pros
mission-driven.
Cons
Stress
High School
Very diligent worker (Former Employee) –  Westville, NJSeptember 15, 2015
Worked and Volunteered while attending this Industrial School. I have also committed to becoming excellent and to demonstrating the practical ways of showing myself and proving to myself that anything in the future with just some practice.
Not organized and no hours
Event Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 26, 2015
Was really pleased when I was accepted to work at MHS, but was not given the 29 hours I was told they wanted me for. They were unorganized which made it difficult to know what was expected of you from day to day. Co-workers made it enjoyable as well as working with the students. Loved getting to know the students there and build relationships with them. Sad to leave, but had to in order to advance in my career.
Great people
Transitional Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 24, 2015
You will work with great people. Everyone truly supports the students they are working with. There is not much time thought for a social life.
Productive workplace
Resident Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 15, 2015
Typical day included answering phones and directing the calls to the appropriate staff, managing paperwork and tasks asked of me to do. A typical evening included checking chores and apartment cleanliness of my peers. I also was available when needed to talk with peers and assist them if needed. I planned events for approximately twenty people, including community service events.
I learned that good, open communication is very important when answering phones and speaking with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
My coworkers were always willing to help in the same tasks and made an effort to be available when needed. They were hard working and made the workplace an easy amicable environment.
The hardest part of my job was being available on short notice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant communication with people.
Fun place to work at.
Spartan Warriors (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 16, 2015
I was a student who worked on campus during the summer. I loved all of my bosses. They taught us how to work efficiently at a fast pace.
Fast paced days which were full of hard work
Horsemanship Intern (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of caring for and handling horses. Days were full of hard work and was fast paced. Learned how to properly groom a horse and its basic care needs.
Pros
Horses, people
Cons
hard physical labor
Shopping around
Janiotr (Current Employee) –  HersheyOctober 30, 2014
This place is not hiring. They are shopping around. They are not hiring, they are shopping around.
Cons
their hr dept. is deceptive
Usually outside workplace with Activites
Paid AEE Intern (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 3, 2014
This internship/job is very enjoyable. You get to work with friends, and the bosses are very nice and caring. Because this job is only for interns that are still in school, you must be going to the Milton Hershey School in order to meet the requirements to apply for this job.
Pros
free lunch, snacks, very welcoming, nice breaks, fun activites
The mission is great but ...
Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 3, 2014
The school's mission is to serve underprivileged children and it does a good job in doing so. However, the organization itself is highly dysfunctional and personality driven.

The pay and benefits are great and there are wonderful, dedicated people who work there. Job satisfaction however is highly dependent upon where you work within the organization. There is no training for new managers and many in management are terrible at managing people.
Pros
the satisfaction of helping needy children, good benefits, good people overall
Cons
policies apply to some but not all, non-union staff have no recourse
Great benefits
Transitional Living Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hershey PADecember 12, 2013
The Milton Hershey School is ideal for someone who wants to save money and work with children from inner cities and rural areas. The position I worked in required me to be available 24/7. Weekends and evenings were lost. There was little to no time for personal family.
Pros
housing, pay, benefits
Cons
sacrifice personal life
Fun and comfortable Workspace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 10, 2013
I love working here, it is a happy place to be. Everyone smile and love each other as if we knew each others for years. There is no place like Milton Hershey School to works as a student.
Extremely Enjoyable.
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 8, 2013
Daily I would encourage children to engage in our planned activities, and monitor them during camp, until it was time to bring them to or from school. I often ran small errands for my supervisor. My co-workers were extremely friendly, and enjoyable to be around, as well as helpful. I enjoyed working with the children everyday, as they were always positive and energetic.
Great Place to work!
Part time Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PaAugust 8, 2013
Gather everything needed for Middle School Cafeteria from the Central Distribution Center and deliver. A great place to work, with a wonderful mission. Enjoy being part of a systems that helps underprivileged kids get a new start in life!
Pros
free lunch
very pleaseant place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 10, 2013
A lot of hands on cooking and preping food.Manage was great to work with all the time,co-workers for most part were very pleasant and easy to get along with,the hardest part of that job was leaving to get back into management to make more money.
Pros
free lunch and work environment
Cons
not making enough money
This places gives its employees a lot of benefits
MHS Summer School Teacher 9th grade English (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 26, 2013
This places gives its employees a lot of benefits and the co-workers are amazing.
Pros
free lunches
Milton Hershey School
Baby Sitting Infants to 10 year olds (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 7, 2012
This school will help anyone in need. A great school! A+
This school teaches many values and wonderful things. This is the best school I have attended. I would not have the things that I have now if it wasn't for this school.
Pros
everything
House parenting. 14 teen age girls
House Parent (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 4, 2012
In the morning we had morning house chores for the girls, fed them breakfast and sent them to school on time.
After girls went to school we checked the chores, and did office work for 2 hours.
We then were free until an hour before the girls started coming home, unless there was a meeting.
When the girls got home we would transport them to various after school activities, make sure they did there homework, and got them supper and put them to bed.
Our day typically started at 5:30 am and finished at 11:00 pm.
Pros
free housing
Cons
long hours with little pay.
Productive and fun place to work with free lunches and ping pong table.
Building Services (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 30, 2012
Compensation is the highest of all the custodial positions in the state of Pa. A typical day at MHS is greeting all the many children , staff and perform all duties expected of my job. I have learned that the children that come to this school need an understanding hand up in life and focus on there rewarding educational needs. The management is very understanding and knowledgeable. very helpful. Co-workers are very helpful and we all treat each in the most professional way. The hardest part of the job is shoveling in the winter. The most enjoyable is having the students thanking you for cleaning their school.
Pros
free lunches, free uniforms, great pay and affordable health benefits.
Cons
the lifting of heavy objects such as science tables in classrooms.