Milton Hershey School Employee Reviews in United States

Great
Middle Division Student Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 30, 2016
Worked many jobs for the Milton Hershey School. Interacting with the kids was the best part of my job. Great pay. Students are great. Had a great supervisor.
Productive and has awsome challenges, great benefits, lots of work.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 21, 2016
Working at MHS has rewarding opertunities for its workforce. I enjoy giving of my labor to help all students of MHS. My Supervisor goes out of his way to make employees happy. He is Fair in settling any disputes. He is always willing to help.
Pros
One free meal, and three breaks, great benifits.
Cons
Sometimes stress from other co-workers.
Long days out in the sun
Spartan Work-Crew (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 16, 2016
We did a lot of odd jobs out in the sun with included landscaping and moving heavy furniture. I enjoyed the physical labor.
the sweetest place on earth
Finance Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 23, 2016
everyday was different, updating phone records, making paper files electronic, updating phone records, billing addresses, computer system filing alphabetically, performing audits on student homes, budgeting and sitting in meetings, answering phones etc.
Pros
loved it to much
Cons
i graduated
Very Safe Area.
Student Leader, IT,Staff (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 16, 2016
A typical day is surrounded by nice staff and its a very welcoming feeling. Theres always something that is willing to be done and thats a thing you like about a job. My Co-Workers are awesome and treat everyone mutually. The hardest part would just be trying to get everyone one on the same page when limited time. The best part is that you always look forward to the next day!
Pros
Welcoming, Fun, Safe
Cons
Pay
Fun workplace
Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 15, 2016
Typically open and deliver mail everyday, make or receive any phone calls, scanning and filing documents and also completing any other task that was handed to me
Rewarding job
Transitional Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 16, 2016
Working with students without the expectation of anything in return is at times exhausting. However the school is a community and a home for staff and students. Therefore there is not a lot of room for having a personal life outside of work.
Pros
Supportive, never the same day, Free Lunches, awesome benefits, PTO
Cons
poor work life balance, Schedule, meetings and inconsistent
.....
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 11, 2015
this is a great company. They pay well and give great benefits and also do great things for the children it provide for. This is all I can say really.
Providing a rewarding experience with disadvantaged children
Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 8, 2015
I lived in a student home where I prepared students for duties and responsibilities as they progressed into adulthood. Management would perform weekly visits and/or meetings to track students development and well being. The position required long work hours, 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. The most enjoyable part of the position was watching young minds develop.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long hours, difficult separation from work/family life, management did not allow independent counseling based on individual student needs
rewarding and fulfilling
Life and career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 6, 2015
I work at MHS as a surrogate parent to twelve high school girls.
The job is very demanding and stressful. However, the reward is very big because one has the opportunity to appreciate the growth of students entrusted to one's care.
Pros
mission-driven.
Cons
Stress
High School
Very diligent worker (Former Employee) –  Westville, NJSeptember 15, 2015
Worked and Volunteered while attending this Industrial School. I have also committed to becoming excellent and to demonstrating the practical ways of showing myself and proving to myself that anything in the future with just some practice.
Not organized and no hours
Event Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 26, 2015
Was really pleased when I was accepted to work at MHS, but was not given the 29 hours I was told they wanted me for. They were unorganized which made it difficult to know what was expected of you from day to day. Co-workers made it enjoyable as well as working with the students. Loved getting to know the students there and build relationships with them. Sad to leave, but had to in order to advance in my career.
Great people
Transitional Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 24, 2015
You will work with great people. Everyone truly supports the students they are working with. There is not much time thought for a social life.
Productive workplace
Resident Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 15, 2015
Typical day included answering phones and directing the calls to the appropriate staff, managing paperwork and tasks asked of me to do. A typical evening included checking chores and apartment cleanliness of my peers. I also was available when needed to talk with peers and assist them if needed. I planned events for approximately twenty people, including community service events.
I learned that good, open communication is very important when answering phones and speaking with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
My coworkers were always willing to help in the same tasks and made an effort to be available when needed. They were hard working and made the workplace an easy amicable environment.
The hardest part of my job was being available on short notice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant communication with people.
Fun place to work at.
Spartan Warriors (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 16, 2015
I was a student who worked on campus during the summer. I loved all of my bosses. They taught us how to work efficiently at a fast pace.
Fast paced days which were full of hard work
Horsemanship Intern (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of caring for and handling horses. Days were full of hard work and was fast paced. Learned how to properly groom a horse and its basic care needs.
Pros
Horses, people
Cons
hard physical labor
Shopping around
Janiotr (Current Employee) –  HersheyOctober 30, 2014
This place is not hiring. They are shopping around. They are not hiring, they are shopping around.
Cons
their hr dept. is deceptive
Usually outside workplace with Activites
Paid AEE Intern (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 3, 2014
This internship/job is very enjoyable. You get to work with friends, and the bosses are very nice and caring. Because this job is only for interns that are still in school, you must be going to the Milton Hershey School in order to meet the requirements to apply for this job.
Pros
free lunch, snacks, very welcoming, nice breaks, fun activites
The mission is great but ...
Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 3, 2014
The school's mission is to serve underprivileged children and it does a good job in doing so. However, the organization itself is highly dysfunctional and personality driven.

The pay and benefits are great and there are wonderful, dedicated people who work there. Job satisfaction however is highly dependent upon where you work within the organization. There is no training for new managers and many in management are terrible at managing people.
Pros
the satisfaction of helping needy children, good benefits, good people overall
Cons
policies apply to some but not all, non-union staff have no recourse
Great benefits
Transitional Living Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hershey PADecember 12, 2013
The Milton Hershey School is ideal for someone who wants to save money and work with children from inner cities and rural areas. The position I worked in required me to be available 24/7. Weekends and evenings were lost. There was little to no time for personal family.
Pros
housing, pay, benefits
Cons
sacrifice personal life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milton Hershey School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4