Milwaukee Area Technical College

Milwaukee Area Technical College United States Employee Reviews

Challenging school environment
Student (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 14, 2014
I enjoy the learning environment at MATC.. The teachers are very knowledgeable of the subjects they teach, which gives you confidence in the education you are receiving.
Rewarding, Exciting and Good Work Environment
Pre-College Instrucor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2014
I work with students to help them increase their academic skills. Working with my students is very rewarding because we are able to learn from each other. The department that I work in is very supportive and my co-workers and I are always collaborating to determine the best approach to meet our students' needs. The hardest part about my job is seeing a student not be successful. I enjoy watching my students reach their goal and become productive citizens.
Instructor Practical Nursing Program (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 8, 2014
Pros: never boring
Cons: more time
A typical day includes med surg lecture, meeting with students, and or clinical preparation and class preparation.
I never knew how much I would enjoy being a tutor!
Tutor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2014
A typical day at work began with reviewing my student roster. Not only was I able to instruct others, but by tutoring, it strengthened my knowledge in the subjects I was assisting with. The management was always present and willing to help, and the same can be said of my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was assisting my fellow students really grasp difficult concepts. However, this was too, the most enjoyable part because it helped me gain new ways to introduce the information.
Great Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2014
Pros: friendly
Printing ,Advertising ,Ordering supplies, Comfortable Atmosphere,manager very understanding easy to communicate ,
school
student (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 21, 2014
school is great. all of the teachers are so helpful and caring. they understand the time and help i need.
My work day
Administrative Professional (Former Employee), Milwaukee wisconsonJuly 21, 2014
A typical work day for me would be working with a team or alone. I can work and get along with anybody. I enjoy learning new things and applying them as needed.
Tutor & Mentor
Supplemental Instructor Leader/ Tutor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 7, 2014
Pros: interviewing a variety of individuals
Responsible for tutoring and mentoring students.
Attend in-class sessions & obtain classroom discussions for interaction of the students.
Work Environment and Growth Potential
Office Specialist/Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 26, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: culturally exclusive.
This is a very stressful environment for people of color to work in. It is very difficult and almost impossible to move around the institution.

You are not likely to be promoted unless you're in the right circle regardless to whether or not you further your education or take on additional responsibilities.

Loyalty is rewarded. Not hard work.
Worldclass Institution
Student Service Specialist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2014
I enjoyed working at this Worldclass Institution. The reward is in the Student Service. Just like any other place of employment, it is what you make it. MATC strives to meet the needs of all of their students and employees.
Rewarding place to work
OFFICE TECHNICIAN/ALTERNATE EXAMINER (Current Employee), West Allis, WIApril 3, 2014
A typical day at work is not typical. I have very different experiences daily. There is always an opportunity to help someone.
productive and positive workplace
Customer Service/Book Store Clerk (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 11, 2013
Pros: ability to assist customers on a daily basis
• Prepared and processed returns to publishers and vendors; prepare and maintain data records of returns.
• Receive, price, and stock books, supplies, and general merchandise; update shipping and receiving data on computer as inventory is received for bookstore.
• Perform functions related to cashiering such as: operating cash register and credit card machine; assist customers; answer telephones and customer service questions; and handle returns and complaints.
Great place for school and work
Employment Coordinator (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 10, 2013
MATC has a fantastic work environment. I was surrounded by extremely helpful and caring people that were very knowledgeable and experienced. I was given a chance to aid fellow students and alumni further their career plans as well as future goals. Definitely a place you can enjoy what you do and have no problem going to work everyday. The hardest part was not being able to give someone the information they needed or solve their problem immediately. Still, this is a great place to work and go to school.
Great pay for helping students acheive their dreams
Instructor of Basic Skills and GED preparation (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 16, 2013
Every day is filled with assisting students with their dream of achieving a college education. This includes testing, lesson preparation and mentoring.
Office Specialist/Executive Assistant
Office/Word Processing Specialist (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 29, 2013
Pros: i have a variety of duties to perform daily, there is a lot of opportunity to learn new things and i have taken advantage of this.
Cons: there is no opportunity for me to move into a higher position, i'm at a point where i've hit the ceiling.
My typical day includes overseeing the administrative operations in in the Counseling & Advising Department, to include monitoring and directing traffic flow of students, supervising clerical staff (3), and assisting Director of department as needed. I am responsible for scheduling and facilitating meetings, taking minutes, and keeping track of vacation days (for coverage purposes).

I have also taken on the responsibility of working with the President's Diversity Council to make MATC a more inclusive, and just college.
Productive and motivating Sales
Advisor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2013
Sale of moving Trucks and storage units, truck maintenance.
Learned how to communicate in an orderly fashion. Management was helpful and co-workers were easy going. The hardest part of the job was how the production die down in the winter. The most enjoyable was the envirnment.
Great instructors
Student (Former Employee), west allis, wiJune 13, 2013
School was helpful and I learned a lot. The teachers were great.
It was fun and hard work.
Student Worker (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 19, 2013
Pros: yes you were able to get the left overs and take them home.
Cons: the only thing is i was not able to attend school because of the county of milwaukee.
Just clean and do regular duties and help in the kitchen when called for.
That working with people can be fun and productive.
Management was good and helped when you needed it.
The co-workers were nice.
There was no hard part of the job.
I was able to see other people and interact with customers, while going to school.
enjoyed working as a tutor and security
Public Safety Assistant (Former Employee), milwaukee wiMay 11, 2013
Pros: weekends off
Cons: not enough pay
had a great time with all levels everyone got along with me as a tutor. I felt I was a good mentor to them. at times I visit still to see how they are doing.
great benefits
Food Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 22, 2013
Pros: great benefits and compensation
Cons: poor communication
Working in a union shop was challenging. My tasks changed over the years. I began as an opening Supervisor- setting up equipment, checking and finalizing staff levels and supervising and training staff, filing in for absent employees,setting up cash drawers, ordering food and inventory, managing the shift and closing out the shift.
My next assignment was as the closing supervisor. I managed the shift, oversaw the breakdown and cleaning of the operation, and end of day cash handling as wellas ordering food.
My next assignment involved preparing and operating capital and operating budgets, interviewing and hiring staff,preparing reports for the v.p. of finance, securing permits, setting up computer register operating systems.
The next assignment involved being the project manager for the construction and insulation of four campus convenience stores. I ordered all the equipment and supplies, worked with the construction
department and vendors.
After the stores were finished I staffed and supervised the operation of all four with the help of senior employees.
While operating the stores and doing budgets I was assigned to the college's bookstore as the interim manager where I oversaw the operation and staff of four stores for six months.
My co-workers were very competent and professional. The hardest part of the job was supervising eight remote stores, and eight budgets at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job was enter acting with custoers, students, and staff.
I learned how to operate a computer and a number of programs, how to develop budgets, purchasing, book store operations, and scratch cooking.

About Milwaukee Area Technical College

Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) is not just for techies. The two-year college offers about 200 degree, diploma, certificate, – Read more