Milwaukee Center For Independence Employee Reviews

Productive work and taking care of the elderly
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at work is waking my patient up around 7am brushing her teeth, getting her dressed, making her breakfast and giving her her meds. Taking her out to doctor appointments, preparing her meals and giving meds 4 times a day.
What I learned on my job was that I loved taking care of the elderly and they just want to feel important as well.
I worked alone, 24/7 and enjoyed every bit of my job. the hardest part of my job was the scheduling I literally had no time for myself.
The most enjoyable part of my job was making my patient happy and supplying all of her needs.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Short breaks
I enjoyed working at MCFI it was all about giving back feeding the huger
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 27, 2015
everyday i went to work feeling good and ready to start my day. it was a fast but timely working place which kept you busy so time went by quickily. knowing i was feeding the hunger made me feel even better when i was at work.
Pros
free food, respectable co- workers
Cons
short breaks
The company was great to employees before they moved to the Wells Street location
EI Specialist, Lead SC, PTA (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 23, 2015
Manager was educated, self-aware and motivating. She taught employees so much to help clients. They moved and manager left. It all went down hill. I miss the "old" MCFI and the clients and families.
Pros
awesome mission and every employee made a difference
Cons
lost track of the mission and low pay (non-profit)
Productive Place to work
Supportive Care Specialist/CBRF (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 13, 2015
I enjoy working for this company. I've been working here for several years. The time as well as hours flucuate, overall the job is a very good work enviornment as well as safe.
milwaukee center for indepedence
(PCW) Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 27, 2015
 Demonstrate competence performing necessary skills and only preform those skills on the plan of care.
 Assist in the daily care of elderly/disabled individuals in their home.
 Job duties may include hygiene service, housekeeping, cooking, food preparation, shopping, and in some cases regulating medication.
 Observes record and reports any changes with client to supervisor.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
not enough hours provided
Not a good place to work
Care Manager/Field Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 27, 2015
The management doesn't support the staff. They have a diversity team but it is ineffective. When issues arise human resources doesn't support its workers.
Pros
centrally located
Cons
Staff has no support
Great service delivery of programs, but employees are undervalued
Client Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 5, 2015
I worked as a Case Manager in LIFE Services for over three years. MCFI is an agency who truly provides wonderful and productive services to the community. My work with clients was incredibly fulfilling and enjoyable, and my coworkers were great: the staff are there because they really enjoy the job and working with people. Being a CM was an equal split of office time/paperwork and being on the floor for the day program activities. Job duties are reasonable, though at times can feel monotonous; additionally, depending on your caseload's needs/if understaffed with CMs, your workload can drastically increase... but you're still expected to complete job tasks by specific deadlines with minimal office time provided and overtime never allowed. There are random employee perks, which are great: health clinic for employees, free short massages during the day, free food for random celebrations, etc.

MCFI's LIFE Services is rumored to be the best in the area, but the program staff's wages are among the lowest compared to similar agencies. A huge number of coworkers (myself included) had a second job to make up the difference. If I would have stayed more long-term, I would likely have been bored with a limited scope of job responsibilities and a very low opportunity for advancement (or even more challenging job duties). There's also a high turnover for some staff positions (related to wages, as I heard from several former coworkers), which can create extra headaches for the program in general.
Pros
Agency provides excellent programs to community; fulfilling
Cons
Below average wages; low opportunity for advancement
Milwaukee Center For Independence
Certified Nursing Assistant/Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 30, 2015
Outstanding team players. Enjoyed the clients as well as the co-workers. Management was always helpful. Not enough hours, like if you wanted to get overtime you were not able to because the Union did not allow it. But that also depends on what location you worked at. This is a huge organization it caters to the needs of the people. Amazing place to start a career.
Non-profit organization helping individuals achieve greater independence.
Manager of Training Programs (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 26, 2015
I work closely with the instructors and all students enrolled in current or future trainings. Reorganized the orientation and enrollment process of both CBRF and C.N.A. programs Respond to phone messages and emails regarding program inquiries.
Flexible and Diverse
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 3, 2015
My experience working at MCFI has been educational and diverse. The most enjoyable part of being a MCFI employee is the fulfillment that you have enhanced and facilitated the lives of individuals in need.
Pros
Community Relations, Resources and Developments
Cons
Benefits and Advancement
Health Tech
Community Recovery Specialist (TLS) (Current Employee) –  milwaukee,WIApril 30, 2015
When I arrive at work I check on each client. I make sure the each client has their medication. I also make sure the clients have completed their assigned cleaning areas. I encourage the clients and prompt them if their adl's are not completed. If a client have missed any of their medication their case manager and my supervisor are informed. The clients are mostly independent and each day I'm assigned a different task. After my task is completed I start on my documentation. Every day I deal with a different situation but I'm prepared and educated on each client’s disorder. I enjoy working with my clients. The hardest part of my job is when my clients refuse to take their medication, because I care about their well-being. I manage and supervisor community meal and Tuesday and Fridays outing. I'm the only full time staff so I work directly with case managers and my supervisor.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
needing more support
wonderful people and work culture
Family care RN case manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 23, 2015
I was an RN in a case manager role at MCFI, I love everyone I worked with and leaving is very hard to do, however sometimes following your heart is what needs to happen!

I learned many things about working with a mentally challenged population and I've tested my patience many times. That being said, I believe I've passed and I am ready for the next step.

-Ian
Pros
great co-workers, great bosses, wonderful patients
Cons
always looking at the clock
Dedicated in providing an independent livelyhood for people with disabilities
Floor Care Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WisconsFebruary 2, 2015
The mission statement and application towards reaching its goal was commendable. I was proud to work with this company, it's participants, and overall staff. However, the latter management I was directly under didn't share the companies overall mission statement and cost the company contracts and a huge amount of money.
Pros
creating a life style for people with disabilities
Cons
upper management not very active personally with ensuring operations are working smoothly
Work hard
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee,WIJanuary 21, 2015
My day was to enter in payroll I learned a lot especially dealing with FIN numbers . managment and co-workers were great and I really wouldn't say hard just busy was around tax time and its always enjoyable to be round postive people.
Established Company of 75 yrs, that provides quality services to disabled individuals
Community Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2014
MCFI is a good company that provides multiple services for all age individuals with medical disabilities. I enjoy what I do. Being able to interact effectively and learn how to properly serve those in need of assistance is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is being away from my 2 teenage daughters 5 nights a week.

The management consistency in my group home has not been the most effective. 3 house managers in 18 months has not been a smooth transition for the house employees or clients. The management has no diversity. 97% of group home management staff are the same gender, race, age range and clicked up. The group home qualified employees are not being advanced, finding other employment or being terminated.

I have a really good support team of full time and part time staff. I am currently the full time 3rd shift CBRF certified Community Recovery Specialist at one of the MCFI group homes. Each staff member's duties are consistent, which makes it pleasurable to greet one another at shift change time.

A typical night @ work consists of cleaning, cooking, laundry, client interaction/documentation and medication distribution if needed.

The most important lessons I've learned is that ALL people are to be treated with dignity and respect; no matter what their current mental or medical disability. I also learned the meaning of " Know when the hold'em and know when to fold'em as well".
Pros
working with the clients, staff and my home is 5 minutes away.
Cons
no room for advancement, low pay rate and mediocre management.
Good Environment
SharePoint Specialist/Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 29, 2014
McHenry County Government Center was an enjoyable place to work. Enjoyed working with the IT customers and servers.
Poor Management
Driver and Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2014
Poor management in the food service department very un-organized. Good pay but hours were not always guarenteed.Only good thing is that you have weekends off.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
poor management
Decent place
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  milwaukee, wisconsinAugust 21, 2014
We do schools in the Milwaukee, Kenosha, and
Racine Area for children.
Come in at 5am get my production sheets ready for the shipout person. Assign production sheets to the staff. Check in Us Foods, Alpha bakery, Marchese, and lasky milk production to make sure everythings in that we order. I learned to do way more multi tasking projects than before. My manager is a Executive Chef, so me and him work together to ensure the meals have good presentation, tastes good, etc. I have dedicated workers who work with us. The hardest part of the job is not getting what we ordered from us foods. And getting tasks at the last minute( last minute literally)
The schools and my employees our wonderful. Visiting different schools and meeting new people. Having a good atmosphere at work. There's no I in team here where we work.
Pros
free lunch, driving, off every holiday and weekends
Cons
health insurance, part-time workers, food orders never come in, too many hands in the pot
Humbling job setting and fun people to work with
Community Healthcare Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 21, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was walking in every day with a great attitude in order to inspire my clients, with the best professionalism that i carry, in order to show proper techniques through our therapies and recreational activities on daily living and untimely striving for independence.
A typical day
pcw worker (Current Employee) –  milwaukee,wiMarch 17, 2014
It is a very good company to work for. I love my clients and my co-workers.
Pros
location
Cons
people