Milwaukee Center For Independence Employee Reviews

An excellent opportunity to assist other individuals grow more independent
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 16, 2016
A typical work day involves assisting others, ensuring their well being. There are many responsibilities including medication monitoring and providing residents with education and support services. The management is approachable and always available. Co workers are amazing, kind and patient. I have learned that the easiest way to have a good day is to treat others with the utmost respect and dignity.
Labeled as a payroll position but isn't.
Data Verif/Timekeeping Specialist - Temp to hire (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 15, 2016
Very little job security within the company; several employees make comments that working there...they feel like it could be their last day at anytime.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Unorganized and chaotic.
Very unorganized
Therapist/Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIJanuary 10, 2017
Every week someone quit because they were so unhappy. I couldn't stay at a place like that. Customers were always complaining.
Pros
close to home
Cons
pay was bad, upper management uneducated, offer incentives but don't pay for work done
Fun place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  2020 w wellsFebruary 6, 2017
Great place to work. The staff here truly care for their patients . Enjoyed working with everyone. Highly recommend seeking employment for this company.
i give you the chance to grow
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 16, 2016
i enjoy working with children every day at work we made lunches for children at we made about 200 sandwiches for the local summer programs.the work place was like a family
It is critically important to respect work place ethics at all times.
Volunteer Intern - Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 12, 2016
This kind of business requires a high level of training, You must continue to train and educate your self and staff in order to provide and understand the seriousness of how important it is to deal with person with disabilities.This kind of work is more than a job It's a profession that requires knowledge of various disabilities. This company provides excellent service for those who need assistance, I'm so appreciative of having the experience of caring for others while working with this company.
A very poor place to work
Human Resources Processor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 3, 2013
A typical day at work begins when other people unnecessarily try to get in your business. I learned that politics can take over a company. The top management makes 100k+ while everyone else is stuck doing the grunt work, and there is no opportunity for advancement. The micro-management style is ridiculous and they provide no constructive criticism or performance feedback. They just told me that my job was ending without any explanation. The co-workers are forced to be rivals, rather than working together collaboratively and in a teamwork environment. The hardest part of the job is that it is so mundane. The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the day.
Milwaukee Center For Independence
Certified Nursing Assistant/Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 30, 2015
Outstanding team players. Enjoyed the clients as well as the co-workers. Management was always helpful. Not enough hours, like if you wanted to get overtime you were not able to because the Union did not allow it. But that also depends on what location you worked at. This is a huge organization it caters to the needs of the people. Amazing place to start a career.
Nice place to move up in.
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 9, 2016
I love working for mcfi. I enjoy seeing the kids smile on their face when provided nutrition meals. The staff is so amazing and very helpfull.
Flexible and Diverse
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 3, 2015
My experience working at MCFI has been educational and diverse. The most enjoyable part of being a MCFI employee is the fulfillment that you have enhanced and facilitated the lives of individuals in need.
Pros
Community Relations, Resources and Developments
Cons
Benefits and Advancement
Decent place
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  milwaukee, wisconsinAugust 21, 2014
We do schools in the Milwaukee, Kenosha, and
Racine Area for children.
Come in at 5am get my production sheets ready for the shipout person. Assign production sheets to the staff. Check in Us Foods, Alpha bakery, Marchese, and lasky milk production to make sure everythings in that we order. I learned to do way more multi tasking projects than before. My manager is a Executive Chef, so me and him work together to ensure the meals have good presentation, tastes good, etc. I have dedicated workers who work with us. The hardest part of the job is not getting what we ordered from us foods. And getting tasks at the last minute( last minute literally)
The schools and my employees our wonderful. Visiting different schools and meeting new people. Having a good atmosphere at work. There's no I in team here where we work.
Pros
free lunch, driving, off every holiday and weekends
Cons
health insurance, part-time workers, food orders never come in, too many hands in the pot
productive
summer intern (Former Employee) –  milwaukee,WIFebruary 12, 2014
This job have taught me some much in the three months i have worked there.A typical day at work, i did the usual filing working on some computer work, ETC. I have had friendly and fun co-workers. they kept me working and on my feet at all times while i was working there. The management was fine i mean i have had a few bumps in the road but i have gotten over it and i moved and kept my day going. The hardst part of the job was all the filing i had to do because of all the bending and lifting i had to do,i have a back problem but i don't let that bother my working. the enjoyable part if the job was sitting at lunch with my mother talking and laughing with her. she's the one that got me the job.
Dedicated in providing an independent livelyhood for people with disabilities
Floor Care Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WisconsFebruary 2, 2015
The mission statement and application towards reaching its goal was commendable. I was proud to work with this company, it's participants, and overall staff. However, the latter management I was directly under didn't share the companies overall mission statement and cost the company contracts and a huge amount of money.
Pros
creating a life style for people with disabilities
Cons
upper management not very active personally with ensuring operations are working smoothly
low wages, low benefits, no chance for advancement...
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2011
I worked at MCFI for 2 1/4 years, gave 110% throughout my time there.
I was the main point of contact for all technical issues, even with my manager. I was basically running the IT department for 2 1/4 years.

I had a chance to advance in my career, but it was given to someone who had less experience and education that I did.

Some people have worked there for 25 years with no advancement.

That's when I decided to leave.
Avoid this place like the plague!!
Cons
low wages, no chance advancement
Productive work and taking care of the elderly
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at work is waking my patient up around 7am brushing her teeth, getting her dressed, making her breakfast and giving her her meds. Taking her out to doctor appointments, preparing her meals and giving meds 4 times a day.
What I learned on my job was that I loved taking care of the elderly and they just want to feel important as well.
I worked alone, 24/7 and enjoyed every bit of my job. the hardest part of my job was the scheduling I literally had no time for myself.
The most enjoyable part of my job was making my patient happy and supplying all of her needs.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Short breaks
Established Company of 75 yrs, that provides quality services to disabled individuals
Community Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2014
MCFI is a good company that provides multiple services for all age individuals with medical disabilities. I enjoy what I do. Being able to interact effectively and learn how to properly serve those in need of assistance is the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job is being away from my 2 teenage daughters 5 nights a week.

The management consistency in my group home has not been the most effective. 3 house managers in 18 months has not been a smooth transition for the house employees or clients. The management has no diversity. 97% of group home management staff are the same gender, race, age range and clicked up. The group home qualified employees are not being advanced, finding other employment or being terminated.

I have a really good support team of full time and part time staff. I am currently the full time 3rd shift CBRF certified Community Recovery Specialist at one of the MCFI group homes. Each staff member's duties are consistent, which makes it pleasurable to greet one another at shift change time.

A typical night @ work consists of cleaning, cooking, laundry, client interaction/documentation and medication distribution if needed.

The most important lessons I've learned is that ALL people are to be treated with dignity and respect; no matter what their current mental or medical disability. I also learned the meaning of " Know when the hold'em and know when to fold'em as well".
Pros
Working with the clients, staff and my home is 5 minutes away.
Cons
No room for advancement, low pay rate and mediocre management.
Not a good place to work
Care Manager/Field Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 27, 2015
The management doesn't support the staff. They have a diversity team but it is ineffective. When issues arise human resources doesn't support its workers.
Pros
centrally located
Cons
Staff has no support
Health Tech
Community Recovery Specialist (TLS) (Current Employee) –  milwaukee,WIApril 30, 2015
When I arrive at work I check on each client. I make sure the each client has their medication. I also make sure the clients have completed their assigned cleaning areas. I encourage the clients and prompt them if their adl's are not completed. If a client have missed any of their medication their case manager and my supervisor are informed. The clients are mostly independent and each day I'm assigned a different task. After my task is completed I start on my documentation. Every day I deal with a different situation but I'm prepared and educated on each client’s disorder. I enjoy working with my clients. The hardest part of my job is when my clients refuse to take their medication, because I care about their well-being. I manage and supervisor community meal and Tuesday and Fridays outing. I'm the only full time staff so I work directly with case managers and my supervisor.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
needing more support
the clients are striving for the stars
Art Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 18, 2012
The clients are an absolute joy, they are working so hard to accomplish their goals. There are so many opportunities for each client to learn about themselves through so many classes they can attend.
Cons
the staff and management was not very clear on communicating
This company provides quality service to the community helping people with medical care, day care, job training and has a K to 3rd grade school
Human Resource intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 15, 2012
It's a place that service people within the community and is a productive place to work.
Pros
workshops and training and health care benefits provided
Cons
employees have to pay for lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee Center For Independence. Our community is ready to answer.

Milwaukee Center For Independence Reviews by Location