Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

IMSD Service Desk! Not a good place for the newly experienced.
Service Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 16, 2017
As a contractor new to learning IT or help desk, you might want to avoid working for the service desk in IMSD. They have a high turn over rate for starters and since they do not train new employees very well you'll end up learning your role through trial and error.

While working there, I had a difficult time completing my job duties namely because the training was sub-par. They do not cover everything that the job entails very well and there was hardly any training material to help me learn even the basics. Other than from my own notes and what little training material I had at my disposal, I had to constantly ask questions in order to get an understanding on what it was I was suppose to do there. Overall I had to ask for more training material since they did not provide enough. The biggest problem there is their lack of listening skills and communication issues. They do not like to accept responsibility nor allow room for mistakes often made by people at my experience level. Their feedback was not very broad nor beneficial either.

Unless you are highly experienced and do not mind being micromanaged (until when its not necessary or warranted) you might have a better experience there. Over all I rate the rest of the department higher as there are some nice and professional people working there. But as for the service desk in general, you are better off working elsewhere.
Pros
Quiet, The ability to learn a lot is there
Cons
Can not train properly, Lack of listening skills, Sub-par working conditions
productive job environment the management cares about the employees
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  milwaukee CountyJanuary 20, 2017
Would recommended this job you must possess very strong communication skills coupled with knowledge of the Correctional law as well as knowing certain aspects of the Constitution
Pros
hourly wage perks and benefits
Cons
overtime
Terrible Place to Work
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 20, 2016
I work in the Grounds department at the Zoo, and it's one of the worst jobs I have ever held. None of the employees, nor the manager, work as a team. No one helps each other out. It's all about "me". No responsibility is shared, especially with the people who are partnered each day. The manager gives raises to lazy employees, but nothing to the employees who deserve it. The manager also treats some employees unfairly, like assigning garbage work to a select few people and sticking our Project Search people with the same people way more frequently than others, even though it's supposed to be an equal distribution. There is certainly favoritism at the Zoo.
Pros
Fun to work in the zoo
Cons
Poor management, terrible work environment, unfair compensation
Not what it used to be
Clerical Asst. II, Child Support Services (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 14, 2016
There has been an active pay freeze since I started my employment at Milwaukee County. Which means NO RAISES, not even performance. Management can be overly personal, while coworkers are distant and not nice. All insurance deductibles are rising in 2017 which makes it impossible to have any quality of life.
Pros
Health insurance is affordable
Cons
Pay Freeze since 2012
Retired
Subpoena Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 1, 2016
A typical day would be pulling my calendar a day ahead of time. We were cross trained so we could help out if someone called in. I had different jobs to do throughout the day so it gave us a variety of work. My co-workers were all great to work with we all helped each other if we needed. The hardest part of my job was when you were going on vacation, we had to make sure our calendars were pulled in advance and keeping up with subpoenas so they were sent out at least 3 weeks before the court date.
Cons
Parking was horrible.
Productive and a great site for employment
Fiscal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 28, 2016
Productive and a great site for employment. Indeed has helped so many job seekers to benefit by finding great jobs for them. I will always use indeed for my job search.
High intergetic and fast pace environment.
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 6, 2016
A typical day consist of engaging with the public and meeting the needs of those whom are needing a great deal of support to take care of their daily needs and their families. I had the opportunity to work with a diverse community. Management most of the time are more interested in numbers instead of situations. Co-workers can be split a great deal of the time some having compassion and others waiting for a pay check. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone in their greats time of need and support because they did not meet the guidelines by a dollar. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping someone who thought that there was nothing to help them and seeing a smile on their face when they find out that things can get better with a little support.
Pros
Working with a diverse community.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
Fun work environment
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 22, 2016
As a Milwaukee County Lifeguard, expectations range from; knowing and practicing specific rescue tactics to maintain public safety in our public pools and also successfully gaining CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Pros
young work environment, flexible scheduling, accessible opportunities to be promoted within the county.
Cons
long hours, constant exposure to sunlight, little or no benefits.
Just a Job
Human Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 16, 2016
It's a great place to get started in your career. My colleagues are awesome.. We work hard and try to do our very best for the people we serve in this community, however, we aren't often praise or acknowledge for our efforts. Most of us haven't had raises in over 5 years, but we still manage with increasing health insurance and decreasing paychecks.
n/a
Fiscal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 5, 2016
Quiet workplace for the most part. Non friendly atmosphere with no reliable training resources. A lot to learn but unfortunately you learn from mistakes.
Challenging yet unstable
Staffing Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIMarch 1, 2016
Customer service; able to get along with co-workers; difficult - staffing challenges and lack of communication with management; located Milwaukee County
Employment at Milwaukee County
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 1, 2016
Greetings,

While employed at Milwaukee County, a typical day at work included meeting with Customers who received Food Share assistance. I learned as an Economic Support Specialist that I possess a a strong sense of empathy within the human service setting. Having been on both side of public services, both the provider and the recipient, I understand what the customer’s needs are as well as how to service customers for their specific needs. The hardest part of the job is to differentiate empathy from sympathy in sensitive situations.The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that you have made a positive impact on someone, while providing supportive services.
Good if you are a manager
PMW (Current Employee) –  ParksFebruary 29, 2016
The Milwaukee County Parks Department is in a state where it needs more people on the ground working and less telling people what to do. They continue to invest heavily in management positions and cut labor positions. I have never seen where a rectangle is a successful organizational structure. In some areas there is a manager for every worker. This is not a sustainable model. Nor is it responsible to the taxpayers of Milwaukee County.
Pros
Good if you like to work outside
Cons
Little investment in employees, low pay, low moral, poor management
Mediocre place to work
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2016
It's not the most horrible place to work, but there's literally almost no advancement in my current position in my current department. If I want to get better pay and more responsibility, I will definitely have to move to another department.

My coworkers are friendly and usually helpful.

My typical day is reviewing court orders, entering data, and printing out documents.

The most difficult part of my job is the utter tedium and feeling like none of my work means anything ever. The easiest part is that my manager does NOT micromanage. As long as I get the work done that I am assigned, no one interrupts me.

My department manager is really nice, very understanding, wants you to learn as much as you can. Several of the managers are not that way.
Pros
Hour lunches, easy access
Cons
Tedious, boring
Very mean spirited and hostile place to work
leadership (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJanuary 18, 2016
Leadership is very mean spirited and leadership hired at Milwaukee County lack emotional intelligence. Poor ability to manage employees leading to poor employee morale. Political environment is not as toxic as management.

Learning and Development in this organization is abysmal and has no working relationship with organizational leaders. So, no help expected in making this better any time soon.
Pros
Somewhat steadhy work for front line workers.
Cons
Abysmal management, poor treatment amongst management themselves, employees have little trust in management
Productive and enjoyable workplace with much social interaction and variety.
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 8, 2015
Started day with Meet and Greet. Enjoyed interaction with staff and clientele. Ran groups. Wrote some of my own materials.Provided individual and group therapy. Problem solving, flexibility and communication skills were a must. Workplace culture was mostly casual but highly professional. Personal relationships and cooperation were strong and cohesive. Hardest part of job were medical and psychiatric crises, including suicide prevention, requiring immediate intervention. Position also required great deal of paperwork. Management was always present, and usually helpful and supportive. Learned great deal about problem-solving, good communication skills and cooperating with others.
Pros
Allowed to be creative.
Cons
Milwaukee County politics, mostly about annual budget.
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 2, 2015
Each day is different. Staying abreast of policies and procedures is paramount. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and understanding that the constituents are the priority.
Milwaukee County
Human Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2015
A typical day with DHS (Department of Health Services) requires hard work and dedication as any job. The day involves dealing with people from different cultures and their issues with finances, living environment, clothing and food. The management there is getting better before you had to know someone to get a promotion. The best part of the job is the knowing that you may have helped someone in need.
Pros
satisfaction with helping others
Cons
complaints, no breaks
Good job
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
Grate job Grate people, good out door job. Always something to do and someone new to meet. This was a grate high school job
Pros
outside
Cons
no over time
Fiscal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  CountySeptember 7, 2015
Its a good place to start but I really don't see work/life balance. Every department has its own set of rules and it would be nice for everyone to be on the same page.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Political

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval