Milwaukee County Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 22, 2016
As a Milwaukee County Lifeguard, expectations range from; knowing and practicing specific rescue tactics to maintain public safety in our public pools and also successfully gaining CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Pros
young work environment, flexible scheduling, accessible opportunities to be promoted within the county.
Cons
long hours, constant exposure to sunlight, little or no benefits.
Just a Job
Human Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 16, 2016
It's a great place to get started in your career. My colleagues are awesome.. We work hard and try to do our very best for the people we serve in this community, however, we aren't often praise or acknowledge for our efforts. Most of us haven't had raises in over 5 years, but we still manage with increasing health insurance and decreasing paychecks.
Mediocre place to work
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2016
It's not the most horrible place to work, but there's literally almost no advancement in my current position in my current department. If I want to get better pay and more responsibility, I will definitely have to move to another department.

My coworkers are friendly and usually helpful.

My typical day is reviewing court orders, entering data, and printing out documents.

The most difficult part of my job is the utter tedium and feeling like none of my work means anything ever. The easiest part is that my manager does NOT micromanage. As long as I get the work done that I am assigned, no one interrupts me.

My department manager is really nice, very understanding, wants you to learn as much as you can. Several of the managers are not that way.
Pros
Hour lunches, easy access
Cons
Tedious, boring
Productive and enjoyable workplace with much social interaction and variety.
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 8, 2015
Started day with Meet and Greet. Enjoyed interaction with staff and clientele. Ran groups. Wrote some of my own materials.Provided individual and group therapy. Problem solving, flexibility and communication skills were a must. Workplace culture was mostly casual but highly professional. Personal relationships and cooperation were strong and cohesive. Hardest part of job were medical and psychiatric crises, including suicide prevention, requiring immediate intervention. Position also required great deal of paperwork. Management was always present, and usually helpful and supportive. Learned great deal about problem-solving, good communication skills and cooperating with others.
Pros
Allowed to be creative.
Cons
Milwaukee County politics, mostly about annual budget.
Good if you are a manager
PMW (Current Employee) –  ParksFebruary 29, 2016
The Milwaukee County Parks Department is in a state where it needs more people on the ground working and less telling people what to do. They continue to invest heavily in management positions and cut labor positions. I have never seen where a rectangle is a successful organizational structure. In some areas there is a manager for every worker. This is not a sustainable model. Nor is it responsible to the taxpayers of Milwaukee County.
Pros
Good if you like to work outside
Cons
Little investment in employees, low pay, low moral, poor management
Milwaukee County
Human Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2015
A typical day with DHS (Department of Health Services) requires hard work and dedication as any job. The day involves dealing with people from different cultures and their issues with finances, living environment, clothing and food. The management there is getting better before you had to know someone to get a promotion. The best part of the job is the knowing that you may have helped someone in need.
Pros
satisfaction with helping others
Cons
complaints, no breaks
Employment at Milwaukee County
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 1, 2016
Greetings,

While employed at Milwaukee County, a typical day at work included meeting with Customers who received Food Share assistance. I learned as an Economic Support Specialist that I possess a a strong sense of empathy within the human service setting. Having been on both side of public services, both the provider and the recipient, I understand what the customer’s needs are as well as how to service customers for their specific needs. The hardest part of the job is to differentiate empathy from sympathy in sensitive situations.The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that you have made a positive impact on someone, while providing supportive services.
Very mean spirited and hostile place to work
leadership (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJanuary 18, 2016
Leadership is very mean spirited and leadership hired at Milwaukee County lack emotional intelligence. Poor ability to manage employees leading to poor employee morale. Political environment is not as toxic as management.

Learning and Development in this organization is abysmal and has no working relationship with organizational leaders. So, no help expected in making this better any time soon.
Pros
Somewhat steadhy work for front line workers.
Cons
Abysmal management, poor treatment amongst management themselves, employees have little trust in management
Challenging yet unstable
Staffing Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIMarch 1, 2016
Customer service; able to get along with co-workers; difficult - staffing challenges and lack of communication with management; located Milwaukee County
wonderful place to work
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  milwaukee,wisconsinJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day would be assisting and providing family with medical,child care and snap benefits.My job taught me to be appreciative.My co-worker were like family because we were very close.The hardest part of my job was not being able to assist everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job was when i could provide benefits to families in need.Hearing them thank you, is so rewarding for job well done.
Pros
learning something new every day / assisting families
Cons
not approvding everyone
n/a
Fiscal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 5, 2016
Quiet workplace for the most part. Non friendly atmosphere with no reliable training resources. A lot to learn but unfortunately you learn from mistakes.
Provided direct services and entitlement programs to clients.
Human Service Worker-Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2012
A typical day at work required organization in order to multi-task and provide direct service to clients. I found management to be supportive as well as co-workers. It was important to remain task orientated. The most enjoyable part to the job was to see graditude in the clients eyes.
Pros
diversity
Cons
reduction in health care benefits and increased co-pays
Great place to work, shift and winters hours are taxing
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 21, 2015
Work orders are provided to us at the beginning of our shift. A typical shift consists of filling those work orders and always performing additional preventative maintenance on equipment in accordance to publications. Time management is essential and has been learned over the years with my experience in repairs and maintenance. Co-workers are helpful and always willing to bounce off ideas for fabrication repairs. The hardest part of the job is during the Winter months where at times working 12 hours shifts 7 days a week 3rd shift.
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 2, 2015
Each day is different. Staying abreast of policies and procedures is paramount. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and understanding that the constituents are the priority.
Fiscal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  CountySeptember 7, 2015
Its a good place to start but I really don't see work/life balance. Every department has its own set of rules and it would be nice for everyone to be on the same page.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Political
Until recently opportunities for advancement were good
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 10, 2015
Responsible for supervision of juveniles on Probation. These responsibilities includes, ensuring that juvenile comply with their court orders, giving written and oral reports to the court on juveniles level of compliance with court orders and progress. Returning juveniles back before the Court when juveniles fail to meet court ordered conditions.

Provide case management
Pros
Ability to essentially sent one's own schedule
Cons
The department could have provided more resource supports
Offers benefits
Clerical Assistant/Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 8, 2012
Is a government job, so it affords you decent benefits, and the chance to apply to all other jobs there and possibly transfer or promote up.
Pros
insurance benefits
Cons
work environment can be stressful
Good job
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
Grate job Grate people, good out door job. Always something to do and someone new to meet. This was a grate high school job
Pros
outside
Cons
no over time
Good
Facilities Worker I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2015
I enjoyed cleaning especially at the courthouse as all the judges and employees appreciated my attention to detail. I usually cleaned the carpets, and all basic custodial work as needed.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
none.
Productive and excellent place to work.
Wl. Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee CountyApril 29, 2015
Excellent place to work and if you are dedicated, you will like it.
Ensuring that jail or prison inmates comply with rules and regulations is a major part of a corrections officer's job. The institution's eyes and ears, corrections officers supervise inmates' daily activities, keep track of their physical location, and monitor their behavior. To gain compliance and build trust, officers must avoid showing even a hint of favoritism. If any rules are violated, the officer must document the incident and report it for follow-up by administrators.
Pros
Staff
Cons
prisoners

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

Milwaukee County Reviews by Location