Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Unsatisfied Disgrunt Mommy
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIFebruary 21, 2018
I hate my job, its stressful on so many levels. We DON'T get raises, management does & were the ones who have to deal with all the tough stuff. The hours are ridiculous they take all your off days and then force you to stay at work for 12-16 hours on what was supposed to be your off day. Insurance and Pension is expensive and are taken out of every check even if there's a third pay period in the month. Supervisors are rude and unprofessional and are insensitive to employee life and stress situations. Employee suggestions and opinions are either categorized as insubordinate or looked over completely and ignored. If you want to make money with long unpredictable hours, little to no off days, No kids or significant other, and just hate people and life in general and want to make others miserable this is the place for you.
They play favorites.
SUPERVISOR/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 18, 2018
It is difficult to perform duties when upper managers has favorites and refuses to deal with conflict appropriately. It would serve them best to remove some office staff from reporting to judicial officials.
Pros
Stability
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 13, 2018
It is a good experience for people who do not have much experience in the work field. This was my first job working with a group of people and I really enjoy working at the Zoo.
Exciting place to work for with excellent benefits package and salary
Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 9, 2018
It was very challenging and exciting to work with the public it humbled me when ever I was feeling depressed because the city bus is such a fast paced job where you have be focused on the safety of everything and everyone, plus the passengers are very friendly and courtesy, the always showed appreciation to the employees giving accommodations and gift certificates all kinds of incentives for attendance and also safety precautions, just being a good person you will always be rewarded because someone who goes above and beyond will not go unnoticed
Pros
Great pay plenty of hours retirement plan pension plan
Cons
You have to like dealing with the public
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 4, 2018
I would recommend Milwaukee County transit to everyone it’s a great place to work with good benefits. People are great. Job is exciting. And you get paid every week.
A productive company to work for.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee and various villagesFebruary 3, 2018
A typical day at work is busy using a lot of detailed task. I learned a lot about various sort of people. The hardest part of the job is making sure you provide a safe environment to all.
Pros
Vacations and meetings
Cons
Short breaks
Ecological restoration in Milwaukee County Park's Natural Areas
Natural Areas Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Parks DepartmentJanuary 29, 2018
Variety of ecological restoration focused on invasive species removal and native plantings. Worked with equally as passionate individuals doing sometimes grueling but positive work to improve the urban natural areas in the Milwaukee County Parks.
Jury Management-Sr. Clerical Assistant
Sr. Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 29, 2018
Assist in lining up jury panels for courts.
Act as back up reception, when needed.
Process incoming qualifying questionnaires.
Chair person with Clerk of Courts diversity committee.
Clerical Assistant position
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 17, 2018
I was happy with my job! I had to leave due to not being to make a living on the wage that I was hired with. And due to the wage advancement, there is no wage advancement!
Enjoyable place to work
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 17, 2018
Income Maintenance Specialist
• Responsible for eligibility determination, re-determination, and financial planning services for applicants participating in public assistance programs for FoodShare, Medical and Wisconsin Shares.
• Conduct interviews and verify relevant information.
• Answer questions regarding public assistance programs.
• Data entry into various computer systems.
• Initiate collateral contacts for information and verification.
• Maintain case records.
• Overseeing a high caseload and working under strict deadlines.
• Knowledge of IM program policies, procedures and laws.
• Verbal and Interpersonal communication skills.
• Identify priorities and research/solve problems independently.
Pros
flexible start time
Cons
hard to get promotions
Productive and fun work place
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoy working the night shift at the Milwaukee County Jail. Everyone is a great team player. I receive pretty good benefits and my supervisor is awesome.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
Healthcare
Fun in the sun summer job
Park Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day at work was to keep pool lobby, showers, changing area, and pool area clean at all times. Sometimes I would have to fill in as cashier but mostly just relax in locker room. The hardest part of job was that the pay was minimum wage. The most enjoyable part of the job was it was fun working at a pool in the summer.
Don't believe the hype. It's a scam.
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County JailJanuary 8, 2018
Work becomes your life....
Inmates are "testy", management favors some more than others, off days are taken away from you, ridiculous amount of mandatory overtime, put in a Pod before you're "certified" to use a taser or OC spray so your keyboard or any other instrument becomes your deterrent, supposedly need to be "certified" in order to assist with moving inmates throughout the facility but that's NOT true because you are forced to interact with 64 inmates in a pod by yourself AND take inmates to their appointments within the jail if master control can't find a lazy vet to come help out...I can say that if you call for help, your coworkers literally run to help you...but management? You can forget about it. Need a day off because you have some kind of appointment? Forget about it. Want to keep your scheduled post? SURPRISE! You can forget about it because a vet can boohoo about not wanting to be where they are scheduled and you're placed at a random post. Don't be surprised if you get to roll call and they don't say your name, although you're scheduled to work. They'll place you in a random area where you'd literally sit for 8hrs, with another person...like floor control
Pros
The food the cooks make for staff on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Cons
Management, the favoritism, mandatory overtime
My Experience
License Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeJanuary 8, 2018
The Nurses that work through Armour Correctional Facility for the Milwaukee County Jail gets burn out from being over worked,under paid, and unappreciated. There is no team work and lack of communication.
Pros
you can work as many hours as you want
Cons
Burnout, constantly mandated, low pay wages, no team work
Milwaukee county
Zoo worker 3 (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 7, 2018
Working for Milwaukee county was really great. I worked for the zoo while in high school. Meet a lot of cool people and really had a good time. It had its days but overall was a great time.
Pros
free food, relaxed
Cons
boring, bad pay
stressfull
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 1, 2018
training is very chaotic, too many changes with out a reason. No one is crossed trained although they said there would be. Not much room for advancement.
Zoo review
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 29, 2017
It was fun and engaging. I learned how a large company like the zoo operates and also I got to be outside and see the animals. I would definitely recommend it.
Recession
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 21, 2017
This job started as a summer job and grew to more. The job was discontinued when the recession happened, but I received more affirmation and collaborative support than ever before.
Milwaukee County gave me alot of experience with the public
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 16, 2017
At Milwaukee County Courts I learned a lot about help the public open up child-support and small claims cases, on a typical day it was very busy and you had to keep up with the pace, which I did successfully. This was a enjoyable job, and their was nothing hard about learning here.
Pros
Keeping up with the pace of the job
Cons
love the time off and breaks we receive if a emergency arosed.
Nice plasce to work
ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 12, 2017
At Milwaukee County you will experience a family environment. The flexibility of scheduling was great and the compassion the peers have for one another make this a great play to work.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Location inside the building

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.