Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable workplace with much social interaction and variety.
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 8, 2015
Started day with Meet and Greet. Enjoyed interaction with staff and clientele. Ran groups. Wrote some of my own materials.Provided individual and group therapy. Problem solving, flexibility and communication skills were a must. Workplace culture was mostly casual but highly professional. Personal relationships and cooperation were strong and cohesive. Hardest part of job were medical and psychiatric crises, including suicide prevention, requiring immediate intervention. Position also required great deal of paperwork. Management was always present, and usually helpful and supportive. Learned great deal about problem-solving, good communication skills and cooperating with others.
Pros
Allowed to be creative.
Cons
Milwaukee County politics, mostly about annual budget.
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 2, 2015
Each day is different. Staying abreast of policies and procedures is paramount. I enjoyed working with my colleagues and understanding that the constituents are the priority.
Milwaukee County
Human Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2015
A typical day with DHS (Department of Health Services) requires hard work and dedication as any job. The day involves dealing with people from different cultures and their issues with finances, living environment, clothing and food. The management there is getting better before you had to know someone to get a promotion. The best part of the job is the knowing that you may have helped someone in need.
Pros
satisfaction with helping others
Cons
complaints, no breaks
Good job
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
Grate job Grate people, good out door job. Always something to do and someone new to meet. This was a grate high school job
Pros
outside
Cons
no over time
Fiscal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  CountySeptember 7, 2015
Its a good place to start but I really don't see work/life balance. Every department has its own set of rules and it would be nice for everyone to be on the same page.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Political
Good
Facilities Worker I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2015
I enjoyed cleaning especially at the courthouse as all the judges and employees appreciated my attention to detail. I usually cleaned the carpets, and all basic custodial work as needed.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
none.
Orderly and clean
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeAugust 17, 2015
I enjoy working with who pride themselves both personally and professionally. I desire to challenge myself daily and be around others that help motivate me as well.
Pros
people
Cons
crazy extreme work hours
Great place to work, shift and winters hours are taxing
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 21, 2015
Work orders are provided to us at the beginning of our shift. A typical shift consists of filling those work orders and always performing additional preventative maintenance on equipment in accordance to publications. Time management is essential and has been learned over the years with my experience in repairs and maintenance. Co-workers are helpful and always willing to bounce off ideas for fabrication repairs. The hardest part of the job is during the Winter months where at times working 12 hours shifts 7 days a week 3rd shift.
Until recently opportunities for advancement were good
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 10, 2015
Responsible for supervision of juveniles on Probation. These responsibilities includes, ensuring that juvenile comply with their court orders, giving written and oral reports to the court on juveniles level of compliance with court orders and progress. Returning juveniles back before the Court when juveniles fail to meet court ordered conditions.

Provide case management
Pros
Ability to essentially sent one's own schedule
Cons
The department could have provided more resource supports
Airport Control Center
Airport Control Center (Current Employee) –  milwaukee CountyMay 15, 2015
This job is not very hard on most days. The shifts and the schedule is the worst part. No 2 days off in a row and some schedule lines have all 3 different shifts ie day, afternoon, and graveyard. Also you have to watch your back with everyone because someone will throw you under the bus. Also if you are working with other staff members be prepared to do most of the work. some members are very lazy
Pros
Airport
Cons
Schedule, morale, helpfulness
Fased paced and exciting
Processor/Clerical (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 8, 2015
Greeting a large diverse amount of customers and sold a variety of bingo packages. Large cash handling and reconciliation. Varied work hours and shift.
Pros
Free lunch
Work enviornment
Fiscal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 6, 2015
I have learned a lot in the 10+ years I been employed by Milwaukee County. Its a wonderful place to work. I received great training from the staff members and they are friendly people to work with. I really enjoy every minute working for this great entity.
Productive and excellent place to work.
Wl. Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee CountyApril 29, 2015
Excellent place to work and if you are dedicated, you will like it.
Ensuring that jail or prison inmates comply with rules and regulations is a major part of a corrections officer's job. The institution's eyes and ears, corrections officers supervise inmates' daily activities, keep track of their physical location, and monitor their behavior. To gain compliance and build trust, officers must avoid showing even a hint of favoritism. If any rules are violated, the officer must document the incident and report it for follow-up by administrators.
Pros
Staff
Cons
prisoners
it's Chinatown, Jake.
Business Analyst & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2015
Disorganized, but they are working on it. There is lots of opportunity to show how much/hard you can work. It's government, so anyone from private sector should temper expectations.
wonderful place to work
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  milwaukee,wisconsinJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day would be assisting and providing family with medical,child care and snap benefits.My job taught me to be appreciative.My co-worker were like family because we were very close.The hardest part of my job was not being able to assist everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job was when i could provide benefits to families in need.Hearing them thank you, is so rewarding for job well done.
Pros
learning something new every day / assisting families
Cons
not approvding everyone
Great Workplace
Clerical Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 3, 2014
Job only temporary position, interested in something permanent
Pros
great work environment
Cons
only temporary job placement
enjoyed working in department store
Office Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 17, 2014
working on computer inputting and outputting price list. How the workings of a department store runs. Really had no problem with management or co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the long bus ride and finding childcare at that time. Seeing what new items would be delivered to the store being a shopaholic.
Pros
discount on items
Cons
finding childcare and the long bus i had to take
Operations
Airport Control Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 6, 2014
I have some of the best co-workers here. They are dependable and helpful and wish that all jobs had people like them. Hard to describe a typical day here because it all depends on external factors. Usually its spent behind a computer waiting for something to happen.
Accurate and Quality of work
Clerical Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 2, 2014
Have to make sure that there's a case number on the documents,
the customer has all of the correct paperwork and correct amount(if not indigent), and that there is enough time to have the paper served.
Pros
paid 30 minute lunch, helping others
Cons
not being able to assist a customer
Great Place for a Career
See Below (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 19, 2014
The career opportunities for growth were tremendous. I was able to take advantage of several different levels of responsibilities and training. I never regret my career with Milwaukee County.
Pros
much room for growth and learning