Milwaukee Public Library Employee Reviews

Great people
Library Circulation Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 23, 2016
Working at the library is a great experience . It gives you a chance to interact with all types of customers. you are around knowledge all the time and made to put your best foot forward everyday .
Working around books
Summer Youth Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2016
A typical day at work would be organizing and stacking books on the shelves and helping customers find books.
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I would help my co-workers drawing and read books to kids.
Cons
15 minute breaks
Library for the Blind and handicapped
Circulation Aide (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 26, 2015
This job was very interesting. I worked in a department where all our material was suited for the blind and handicapped. We had cassette tapes. braille books and albums with stories for our patrons.Co-workers worked very hard to send out our material and we also worked hard to keep our materials inventoried. The mosr enjoyable part was meeting our patrons and getting thankyous for our hard work. It wasn't a hard job at all you was required to be in college for the position I held.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
n/a
Excellent Place to meet the commuity
Library Circulation Aide (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work would be to check in books and make sure that patrons receive the books that they are looking for. The time management was very great and they worked great with your schedule. The Co-Workers were all nice and it was like one big happy family working there. The Hardest Part of the job was having patrons yell at you and throwing material at you because they were upset about their book fines.I enjoyed watching children read books and being able to identify numbers and animals.
Fun workplace
Voluteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 9, 2014
its a great to experience an atmosphere that's quiet and peaceful.
Good pay, Bad management
City Laborer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 28, 2013
The pay is great and work is generally easy. However, some supervisors can make easy work difficult with bad attitudes.
A great way to complete my Master's degree
Archives fieldwork (Former Employee) –  internistJune 22, 2013
This was internship in partial fulfillment of my MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science) degree. The internship involved a lot of varied responsibilities, but the most interest portion was entering and cataloging a lot of archival material regarding to historical shipwrecks on the Great Lakes.

The internship was mostly individual work, and very detailed activities, as well. I learned a great deal about original cataloging, and the specific software needed to do this.
Pros
working with some great professionals
Cons
irregular hours
Where is it?
Independent Researcher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 21, 2012
Every book that I searched for and did not search for was found at the Milwaukee Puclic Library.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3