Milwaukee Public Schools

Milwaukee Public Schools Employer Reviews

Teaching is rewarding
7TH/8TH GRADE MATHEMATICS TEACHER (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2014
Teaching is rewarding, but challenging. I enjoy watching the children learn, but it is challenging to teach them when there are so many outside influences.
I was only part time for 8 years.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: making new friends, supervisors were easy to talk to.
Cons: taking union dues, not offering benefits
At Milwaukee Public Schools I worked 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for 8 years. Every time I tried to move up and get more hours I was denied because it went by seniority. I worked for 8 years and I had two pregnancy while working there. Everyone was very supportive. After a while my attendance and tardiness started to go down hill and I ended up losing – more... my job. – less
Excellent place to work.
Paraprofessional/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2014
Pros: happy environment.
Cons: stressful
Assist teachers with instruction, development, and discipline of students and young adults in a classroom setting as well as on the job training and resume writing skills. Focus on the management and development of students with a variety of learning disabilities and develop knowledge and collaborative relationships with community members, family members – more... and businesses within the community. Management of children, plan, coordinate, and participate in outside field trips while providing supervision of staff and students. – less
Rewarding Job
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2014
In this position I spend my days enjoying the simplest joys and making a true difference in the lives of my students. I may work one-on-one with learning disabled students or teach a classroom of intellectually disabled or developmentally delayed students.
nice to meet different people
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: could be very stressful
I work with children in high school with autism and with the regular education children it is rewarding working with children period. i also get to teach the children things that I have learned and also get to be a mentor as well.
Secretary job duties
Secretary (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2014
Pros: nice workable hours
Cons: there are to many students in one building
I am secretary for Wisconsin Conservatory of Lifelong Learning. This School grades start at 3 years old all the way up to 12th Grade. My job duties include, processing payroll, answering phones, customer service, organization of files, organization of transportation for students, running reports for Principal and Administrative staff. Organizing meetings – more... for staff. Filing. Answering questions for parents and students. I also have experience in accounts payable and receivable. – less
The children
Scheduler (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2014
I helped serve children at a meal program and it gave me the tools to be undrestanding of othere people needs and wants. I was able to learn that some kids are not all bad.
Watching children experience academic growth
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2014
Pros: great work hours
Cons: recess duty during the winter season
The most enjoyable part of my work day is sharing a smile of excitement with a student who is excited about their personal achievement.
MPS has lots of challengines, but the children are always interesting.
Classroom teacher, 4th 2nd, 1st, K5 (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 13, 2014
Pros: every child is unique so the job is ot boring.
Cons: there is not enough support, money, or time to get everything done.
I have a K5/ 1st split. On a typical Tuesday, we start with a story, head into whole group reading with a lesson and large group story. From there we move into work stations which include a teacher lead group, computers, writing, and independent reading. This takes the whole morning. The children have recess and lunch, then we return to the room for – more... Science and Math. At 1PM, the 1st graders go to Gym and I have some small group time with my K5 children. When the children return from Gym, there is usually about 30 minutes of free choice before preparing to leave.

Our staff is pretty cohesive. We have each others' backs and problem solve to find solutions that work for everyone. Even when administration is not supportive, we find ways to get our job done with the largest gains for the children.

We have a core of younger teachers who have wonderful ideas and of course, great technology skills. These colleagues are a constant inspiration. They also bring a lot of fun in!

I believe that most of us would say that managing children with negative behaviors is the hardest part of our job. It is closely followed by increasing amounts of paperwork and on-line documentation.

The most enjoyable part of my day is working with the children. Reading groups are my absolute favorite, along with reading to them and sharing high-interest literature. – less
productive
School Secretary II/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 7, 2014
MPS provides a great employment opportunity in which gives you career experience.
received credits
Receptionist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 26, 2014
took for a credit in school my senior year high school. job was nice
Fun work place
Maintenance/Custodian (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 16, 2014
Pros: healthcare.co-workers, lunch breaks
Cons: snow removal, going on the roof's
Meet the student's .Meet the boss talk to co-workers and get started .To clean the boiler .Having fun with my co-workers.
Good job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 3, 2014
Good flexible job. Lacks benefits, however.

Good flexible job. Lacks benefits, however.
Milwaukee Public Schools is a very professional place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 24, 2014
A typical day involved teaching children with special needs.
I also taught adults.
From my experiences I learned that patience is a true virtue. I needed to help others through their hard times and through their times of success.
My co-workers were professional and very knowledgeable regarding their jobs.
The hardest part of my job was working with – more... students who needed services outside of the school setting.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles on the students faces when they were feeling the thrill of success. – less
A caring environment for at risk / disabled children
Children Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 13, 2014
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: school bus issues
I assisted handicap children with their daily life activity needs. I helped them eat their meals, cleaned them up if they had an accident, and toilet trained if necessary. I learned to be calm and a self starter when working with special need individuals.

The most enjoyable part of my work day was seeing the smiling faces of the children when they – more... were able to interact with others. – less
Great students and staff.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 13, 2014
Great co-workers and administrative staff. Things were always interesting at work.
Impactful and rewarding
School Social Worker (Former Employee), Milwaukee Public SchoolsFebruary 12, 2014
MPS was a great organization to work for, especially the SSW department.
Milwaukee Public Schools
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: the challenge/success in succeeding to educate our city's neediest children.
Cons: budget cuts, increased data production requirements, great time managment and self-care skills are required.
My individual experience has been gratifying becasue of mission oriented purpose of persevering to save the education of children at risk of eventually dropping out of high school due to poor self-esteem, turning to crime, or not having the educational foundation t succeed, despite mild learning disabilities. Working with faculty and students from an – more... African American and Hispanic heritage has been among the best learning experiences of my life. I cannot express my admiration for many of the administration and teachers that have devoted their entire lives to children.

It is not a school system for the faint-hearted, especially at the 50 schools with the poorest demographics. Many children come to school with limited language skills and little home training or self discipline. Engaging difficult to reach children with few resources requires a very positive attitude and high level of dedication. I admire teachers and believe this to be the most demanding postion I have ever had.
I am so fortunate to have had two great careers, – less
Professional and Wonderful educational environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: enjoying high school students learning
Excellent Organization for Teachers who love the art of teaching
Service to Staff, Parents, Students, & Vendors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WisconsinJanuary 20, 2014
Administrative Assistant: Duties included service to staff, parents, students, & vendors via in-person, phone, email, fax, & U.S. mail; set up student transportation; processed payroll & accounts payable; created & maintained student & staff records; purchased & distributed supplies; maintained inventory; created Microsoft excel & word documents; additional – more... duties as needed

Secretary for elementary and high schools that included a multitude of assignments and projects such as: service to staff, parents, & students via in-person, phone, email, fax, & U.S. mail; created, requested, & maintained student records; compiled data for MPS central service disciplinary hearings; processed payroll, purchase
invoices, and bookkeeping; created Microsoft excel & word documents; additional duties as needed.

I learned a multitude of skills during my years of employment with the Milwaukee Public School system. I found the necessary technical office skills a joy to learn and practice. The short and long term relationships formed have opened the door for me to be approachable, personable, caring, relational, communicable, empathetic, knowledgeable, flexible, reasonable, teachable, reliable, faithful, respectful, committed, and helpful. Many qualities have been drawn from a need to respond to situations that arise during the course of a day. An example of flexibility was creating and presenting documents and forms to my administrators that were used to eliminate procedural confusion, and brought clarity and simplicity to existing forms. I learned to operate an office smoothly, efficiently, professionally, yet compassionately.

The hardest part of the job was encouraging those involved to submit necessary information in a timely manner to complete projects when due.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a variety of duties, along with providing personal service. I enjoyed the privilege of the daily challenge. – less

1 2 3 4