Milwaukee Public Schools Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 19, 2017
Working with the kids I love but they do not give us enough hours nor do we get paid enough to take care of our families. It could be challenging cause of the different personalities of the kids. I have learned alot from working with Milwaukee Public Schools, but Its time for me to move on and branch off.
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 18, 2017
Loved teaching and helping students learn.
Learned to have patience with the young students.
Used my Spanish speaking abilities.
The hardest part was to deal with troublesome students.
Pros
Free lunch
productive and fun workplace
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 18, 2017
Im looking for a better job due to poor management! I would prefer people that isn't looking to enhance their carreer to work their. I think management needs to be improved for pierce elementary!!!!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Urban culture is great and many awesome staff members!
Elementary teacher (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 15, 2017
MPS needs to seriously look at having supportive administration with the strong challenges of the urban setting. Parents need to be accountable for their children.
Busy workplace
SCHOOL ENGINEER II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 12, 2017
MPS is a great school system. Working within the urban environment is a challenge . The children have a nice recreation program. Good breakfast program
Pros
job security
Cons
not enough help
Productive workforce, helpful co workers. clean, comfortable environment
Substitute secretary assigned (Current Employee) –  multipleSeptember 12, 2017
I am a temp hoping to become an employee. I worked at a wide variety of work sites within the company. I would have liked to have more opportunities to learn more about the company and get more training to do more functions. The sites were mostly pleasant, comfortable, great parking provisions. The supervisors were mostly greatful for help, pleasant and helpful with questions.
Pros
nice people
Cons
poor pay
Great Experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53208September 11, 2017
Loved working closely with youth and helping them realize their potential also while leading them through fun and enriching programs. field trips every friday and all the fresh air you could ask for
Great place to worl
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 21, 2017
Great place to work. All employees are very supportive and very outgoing and humerous. MPS allows you to grow as an employee by moving up in each department
Pros
discounts
Cons
insurnace
School safety and Seurity
Supervised Visitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 19, 2017
worked for MPS for 23year, its a great place to work and at time it can be fun, however it can be a challenge at time but what job isn't, but love it and wouldn't change a thing.
wonderful
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 18, 2017
MPS have been a major part of my life line for me and my family. MPs have wonderful care for the students but also for each staff member. I am a proud MPS worker
So-So
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 17, 2017
Thought this place was going to be amazing. Staff doesn't get along, admin looks other way. Fellow teammates lie on you to make themselves look better
Pros
Benefits, Hours allow for second job/continued education
Cons
No communication or fun depending on school
Not a good place to work
Art teacher (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeAugust 16, 2017
Do not treat teachers well, students are disrespectful and are not given consequences. The district is unorganized. Not enough funding is allocated to the students.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Risk of injury and stress
MPS is a nice place to work for you just have to have the mind set for it.
Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 7, 2017
It's an ever changing place of work because you want always do the same thing from day to day. There is a nice balance dealing with the staff and students. I'm usually pretty busy from the time I punch till the time I punch out. A typical day cleaning up messes, repairing what needs to be in a timely matter and instructing and managing a crew to make sure that they are doing what is expected of them each and every day. To me personally there is no hard part some times thing happen and you just have to have the mind set to deal day in day out. For me the most enjoyable is knowing that the staff and students have a clean and germ free environment to operate.
Pros
For the most part I get to do the job using my experience.
Cons
There are times when your opinion does'nt count.
Dysfunctional Culture
Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 7, 2017
Every man for himself type of place. I suggest you run fast and far away unless you like that type of environment. They love titles and power and self-aggrandize alot.
Benefits
Cons
Mean people
Milwaukee Public Schools is Great!
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 31, 2017
MPS is a very diverse and dynamic community of learners. There is a lot to be accomplished and helping learners to learn is number one. Most parents are very supportive.
very fast pace job
Food Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 14, 2017
prepare and service breakfast and lunch for high school kids clean and sanitize work station floors ovens dish room and complete production sheet for the day
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
good
Paraprofessional - (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 12, 2017
very professional, good pay for a part time job. Very easy to get along with far as management and staff. A typical days work is laid back fun but professional.
Same review from last one
Handicap Children's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 12, 2017
Awesome place to work only transferred to full time clinic. My schedule was very flexible and I was able to pick up extra time when needed. My manager was open for discussion if issues arise.
Pros
plenty incentives
Cons
regular breaks given
I loved my job and working with all of the students that is why I chose MPS for 16 years!
City of Milwaukee Diagnostic Teacher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 5, 2017
The change was in the administration, lack of support, little communication, and the climate I noticed in most buildings was volitile and unwelcoming! Most positions that I started new I was never trained, just thrown into any position and expected to do everything... Even the administrators job. I miss the children and all of the gains we made together. I miss the relationships I had with the parents that made it such a successful working relationship.
Pros
The students and families I worked with
Cons
No breaks, no support in EBD rooms
Great Job
Handicap Children Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 4, 2017
This job gives you the opportunity to meet wonderful and great people. The children you meet and get a chance to work with are wonderful. This job also gives you the opportunity to grow within the workplace when driven for success. I recommend anyone to work in this field.