Milwaukee Public Schools

Milwaukee Public Schools Employer Reviews

Other reviews here reflect only a small section of the job.
Non-educator (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2014
Pros: each school is an island
Cons: each school is an island
Other reviews have higher ratings, and it's obvious when they talk about how much they like the job. Yes, there are many people who are very enjoyable to work with in the district. There are many locations in the district that have great job culture. It's easy to like a job when you are kept completely sheltered from management and district wide "initiatives" – more... - if only all jobs kept an employee from having to deal with policies and management.

The other problem not reflected by the reviews, except for the music teacher review - is that most classrooms at many high schools, for example, have as many as 36 kids in them. These are elective classes that the kids do not choose but need in order to graduate from school. The kids show their resentment and the teachers who once enjoyed their subject area of expertise are reduced to babysitters with no authority. – less
Pruductive and Fun working with students and families.
School Secretary (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no advancement
I was a school secretary. Loved it. I loved helping families with problems. I have the capacity to talk to children, I also have a lot of knowledge to help parents.
I enjoyed my job.
Teacher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 12, 2014
Homeroom
3 classes (80 minutes each)
a duty (study hall, and possibly hall duty)
Not a fun place to work
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 5, 2014
You always go to work not knowing what to expect. There is a lot of favoritism going on. Poor management.
productive and busy workplace.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 29, 2014
Pros: i enjoy connecting with students during lunchroom duty.
Cons: staff meetings
Maintained professionalism when assisting guest. I assisted lead teacher with educational instruction. I maintain a safe environment for all students.
*******
Para educator/ Clerk/ Recreational Leader (Former Employee), milwaukee wiSeptember 13, 2014
Milwaukee Public School is a wonderful place to work. There are many opportunities for career advancement.
Managment
Customer service manager (Former Employee), MilwaukeeSeptember 9, 2014
This position gave me the experience I needed for my first professional position. I learned sales, management, and customer service. I also learned many banking laws and regulations.
A culture of delay
Music Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 8, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: sanity
I was hired for a position as a choir teacher with an underperforming school. I had anticipated that the classes I had been slated to teach were going to be electives. As it turns out, they just dropped 200 students across 5 sections without much interest in music, much less singing.

There is very little back-up in terms of student behaviors, they – more... drag their feet with getting employees access to the online applications necessary to do the job, and implement programs without thinking through what needs to be done. – less
great work environment
Camp Director and Door Keeper (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2014
Pros: weekends off
Cons: position was only part time
Pays good but not enough hours. It was only a part time position. So i couldn't do it long term. The work environment was great work balance life was great and you git weekends off.
The most enjoyable part of my job.
Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2014
Pros: working hard daily to see my students succeed.
I worked for MPS from 1989-2011. I retired in 2011 and was sad to leave. I truly enjoyed working for the district. I was a mentor for teachers early in my career, I worked for a supervisor testing students for possible admission to special education programs.

I found the best job for me was directly working with young children. I enjoy watching them – more... achieve goals, learning to love to read, expressing there words through writing. Every year I was excited to return to my classroom, at times it was a challenge ---but seeing the excitment in there faces was worth all the hard work. – less
Fun,exciting,and loving
Handicap Child Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the end of the year when the parents say" thank you for making a difference in my child life"
Cons: taking a child to the refocus room, and writting them up/calling parents.
Seeing the eyes of my children light up when I walk into the classroom or ask for me when I leave for lunch/break
Must Want to make a Change
Paraprofessional Education Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 14, 2014
Pros: working with kids
Cons: budget
Sometimes kids can challenge you. You must be able to have a relationship with kids. There are many things the kids come to school from home.
Every school culture is different.
Teaching is rewarding
7TH/8TH GRADE MATHEMATICS TEACHER (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2014
Teaching is rewarding, but challenging. I enjoy watching the children learn, but it is challenging to teach them when there are so many outside influences.
I was only part time for 8 years.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: making new friends, supervisors were easy to talk to.
Cons: taking union dues, not offering benefits
At Milwaukee Public Schools I worked 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for 8 years. Every time I tried to move up and get more hours I was denied because it went by seniority. I worked for 8 years and I had two pregnancy while working there. Everyone was very supportive. After a while my attendance and tardiness started to go down hill and I ended up losing – more... my job. – less
Excellent place to work.
Paraprofessional/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2014
Pros: happy environment.
Cons: stressful
Assist teachers with instruction, development, and discipline of students and young adults in a classroom setting as well as on the job training and resume writing skills. Focus on the management and development of students with a variety of learning disabilities and develop knowledge and collaborative relationships with community members, family members – more... and businesses within the community. Management of children, plan, coordinate, and participate in outside field trips while providing supervision of staff and students. – less
Rewarding Job
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2014
In this position I spend my days enjoying the simplest joys and making a true difference in the lives of my students. I may work one-on-one with learning disabled students or teach a classroom of intellectually disabled or developmentally delayed students.
nice to meet different people
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: could be very stressful
I work with children in high school with autism and with the regular education children it is rewarding working with children period. i also get to teach the children things that I have learned and also get to be a mentor as well.
Secretary job duties
Secretary (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2014
Pros: nice workable hours
Cons: there are to many students in one building
I am secretary for Wisconsin Conservatory of Lifelong Learning. This School grades start at 3 years old all the way up to 12th Grade. My job duties include, processing payroll, answering phones, customer service, organization of files, organization of transportation for students, running reports for Principal and Administrative staff. Organizing meetings – more... for staff. Filing. Answering questions for parents and students. I also have experience in accounts payable and receivable. – less
The children
Scheduler (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2014
I helped serve children at a meal program and it gave me the tools to be undrestanding of othere people needs and wants. I was able to learn that some kids are not all bad.
Watching children experience academic growth
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2014
Pros: great work hours
Cons: recess duty during the winter season
The most enjoyable part of my work day is sharing a smile of excitement with a student who is excited about their personal achievement.

1 2 3 4 5