Minneapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good compensation, difficult work with little support
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 22, 2016
Working as a substitute teacher at Minneapolis Public Schools has been a very challenging experience. Coming into low-income inner-city schools as a substitute teacher is not an easy task for anyone. You are thrown into a school where you do not know the routine, nor any of the names of the students and are expected to carry out the lesson plans for the day. Ultimately, it ends up being a struggle to keep the students from misbehaving, let alone completing the assigned work. I do not fault MPS for these difficulties of the job, as these are mostly out of their control. You are, however, largely on your own as a substitute at MPS, with little support aside from one introductory mandatory orientation.
Fun and educational
Office Specialist/Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2017
I worked as a financial clerk and transportation specialist for the school of 625 students and families. I balanced accounts, and printed bus cards. The hardest part of my job was balancing work and life at home with my family. The long hours would have me working until 6:30p.m. some days. I preferred early morning shifts.
assistant/classroom support
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Keewaydin, Mpls, MNNovember 6, 2016
No training.

No support for the staff.

No sense of community feel.

Complete chaos.

Misbehaving students get support from the school while teachers have no say.

Teachers are being treated disrespectfully by the students and by school officials being left without support.

School is more worried to be sued by students than following the school policies.

Huge staff turnover.

Complete lack of organized work.

Job descriptions do not correspond to the actual job description you applied for or hired for and are saving additional staff expenses by adding tasks that your job title is not actually qualified for.

Worst school to work at.

I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE JOB SEEKERS TO APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO ENCOUNTER A GREAT DEAL OF DISAPPOINTMENT.
Pros
Cons
all listed
Educational environment and more learning opportunity. People are nicer in academic setting.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 18, 2016
Nice place to work. Everything here is standard salaries and benefits are standardized. I am still new but everything looks great. Another good thing about this job is that I work in another job at weekends.
Pros
You can home as early as 3:00 PM
Cons
Nothing I can remember at this time
Working hard to educate all children of color.
Teacher Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 27, 2016
I taught there for 27 years and enjoyed everyday. I taught in Middle School for about 12 years and High School for about 15 years in the inner city of Minneapolis MN. I taught Physical Education, Special Education, Adapted Physical Education, After School Enrichment classes for Elementary, Middle and High School students. I coached varsity Men's and Woman's Swimming and Tennis throughout my career. I worked with adults in the Community Education Department in the evenings for the developmental delayed adults in our commitment. I taught GED in the evenings and summers to adults who had been in prison at Minneapolis Public Schools GED Center.
Pros
I loved going to my job everday.
Cons
I didnt have enough time in the day to do everything that I wanted to teach.
Decent job opportunity though management is a bit conceded and doesn't offer room for advancement to emplotees.
Foodservice Chef (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 7, 2016
Most jobs are monday -friday with weekends and holidays off since it is a school schedule. It is a unionized job so being seen for your positive skills and knowledge does not give you advancement opportunities.
Love the kids.
Special Education Assistant/Autism (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 22, 2017
A great place to work if you love impacting the lives of kids on a daily basis. Kids were great. Adults not so much. Pay was decent. Paid Holidays were ok, but you weren't really allowed to take personal time off during the year.
Pros
Summers off.
Cons
Long days.
good and quality vehicles and management
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 19, 2017
very nice management dispatcher and Staff and Quality Vehicles which are good for the Weather very nice environment capable technical Mechanics and also suitable and competitive Salary
working with student
(AE) Associate Educator (Behavior Support) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2016
Educating students on proper classroom behavior. I worked with student who have had frequent behavior issues. It was my duty to get them back on track to be successful in school.
Pros
Working with all different students
Cons
Did not have a lot of teacher support
Fun Place to Work
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 19, 2016
The students at the school are wonderful people to be around and the staff there are easy to get along with. I have learned many skills when it comes to working with others there. Everyday is fun and it is always enjoyable.
mixed review
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 5, 2017
It really depends on your position and who you work for. Since I am clerical, I am seen as clerical and there are few opportunities for advancement.

The pay is good, though, as are the benefits.
Nice place to work
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 30, 2016
Its a great place to work and they great benefits. I never had issues working there. The staff is helpful and make staff feel as if they are wanted. There are also lots of professional development.
Great if you want to work with kids
TEMP AE (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2017
Loved this job as a temp job. It was a fun and fast pace environment. If you love children and working with multi-cultural families you will love Minneapolis Public Schools.
Rewarding work environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 30, 2017
Every day is different working with kids in school setting. Team orientated and rewarding. Great benefits! Love this job, would highly recommend.
Pros
Benefits, schedule
good school
Chinese Language and Culture Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 7, 2016
It was a diverse school district. There were different cultures and languages between students. Students liked to do comparisons.
Pros
good place to work at.
Cons
full time teaching.
it is good
Prep Cook/Cook (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2017
it is a good place to work at. benefits are good. the only drawback is that you work only 9 months out of the year. great place to learn.
Not recommended
EA (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2017
The experience working there was tough. The workplace culture can be very hostile depending on your relationship with management.
I had great coworkers in MPS.
High school special education teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55405July 7, 2016
My coworkers were some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of working with in Minneapolis Public Schools. We had a great team. I learned more about teaching and the school system.
Fun atmosphere to work in with great staff and costumers
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Feild Middle SchoolJuly 7, 2016
I learned a lot working here as a waitress, bartender, and banquet manager. It was a great experience and I loved working with people.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
no benefits
Love working with students
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2016
Great job, lots of fun, lots of paperwork. Pay OK and love the time off. Love creating lesson plans and working with other teacher.
Pros
Working with students and parents
Cons
Lots of paperwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minneapolis Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

72%