Minneapolis Public Schools

Minneapolis Public Schools Employer Reviews

Solid job, predictable hours
Associate Educator (Former Employee), Nellie Stone Johnson, Keewaydin, BurroughsSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great dental, high hourly rate for classified staff
Cons: locations far apart, if you work at multiple it could get inconvenient
I love this school district. I worked as an assistant to five awesome teachers in 3 years. All staff here have the best interest of students at heart. I would work for them again if I were back in town.
A public school system that has some managment problems.
Promotions & Development Director (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: once again it is a public school system.
Cons: etc.
I worked at the school's public radio station for over 30 years, my position was cut, I'll leave it at that.
Accountability is lacking......
Principal (Former Employee), South MplsSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great benefits, strong presence in a great city
Cons: teacher's union, bureacracy
MANY of the Mpls teachers are outstanding. However removing the teachers that should not be teaching takes an act of god, well over 6- 12 months. The teacher's union insulates poor teachers......period!
Great Kids
Youth Teachers Assistant (Summer Program) (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2014
This community had a great group of kids! Everyday they were excited to learn and have fun. I enjoyed working with the teachers and students a great deal!
Hiring process at Minneapolis Adult Education South Campus is a nightmare!
ELL Teacher (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 25, 2014
Pros: close to home; highest paying abe job in the area; many jobs
Cons: incompetent, inconsiderate hiring process
I applied to be an hourly ABE teacher in April, 2014 after being laid off from another ABE site. I was interviewed on May 20 by the two staff members responsible for hiring hourly teaching staff. The interview went well, but they were concerned that my license would expire June, 30, 2013. I scrambled like crazy to update and renew my license, which – more... I did before June 30 so it is now good until 2019. They then checked my references which went well and welcomed me to the team as a "Preferred Sub" with a possibility of a regular hourly ESL class in the Fall. According to them, that's how they hire all of their hourly staff, as "Preferred subs" who receive the regular hourly teaching rate. The problem was with the long, drawn out, incompetent process. First of all the coordinator was out for three weeks, which delayed the reference check. (Apparently only one person in the largest district in the state of Minnesota can do a particular task. The other interview party, the Asst. Director is apparently awol in the hiring/staffing process itself.) When the Coordinator returned from her long hiatus during which time no one could do any aspect of her job, she confirmed she would be contacting my references. They confirmed that she did, but they played phone tag for another week because, guess what!, she was out again for another four days at a workshop and apparently couldn't make calls from the workshop, so my references and I waited (once again) for her to return and contact them. (It is now the middle of July). When she returned she contacted them and sent me a letter welcoming me to the team. In the e-mail she stated that she would submit a request for hire to HR who would contact me to complete paperwork etc. Another waiting game and no contact from HR. Another colleague who was subbing in the Smr. school program finally gave me the contact info for the specialist at HR so I went in to fill out my paperwork. The only problem was that I couldn't be entered into the system because the request for Hire had not been submitted by the staffing team at MPLS. Adult Educ. South Campus. So I contacted the coordinator AGAIN to see why. She explained that, "Unfortunately the person at South Campus who processes these requests is on vacation, so I likely would not have a chance to sub this summer which is a prerequisite for being hired in the Fall. They want to make sure you're paired with someone with whom you're a good fit and they can only observe this if you sub. What??! I also found out from HR that the Assist. Mgr. of Mpls. Adult Educ. South Campus could have expedited the request for hire, but again, he's totally checked out of the process. I mentioned that to the Coordinator and she did not respond. So now, three months later and assuming I've been issued an employee number and that my request has been sent in (SMR school is now over so bye bye to my chance to sub and possibly to any chance of a regular assignment in the Fall, through no fault of my own), I find out that the employee on vacation who fills out the request for hire is back and never received the request for the request from the coordinator. E-mails to her again went unanswered. In this situation I acted in good faith and really scrambled to get things done so I could teach in the Fall. However, the hiring team repeatedly dropped the ball even though I practically did their jobs for them by expediting my own HR hiring process. The Coordinator has demonstrated a complete lack of regard for the teacher candidates (another colleague was having a similar issue with her) resulting in reduced employment opportunities for myself, and undoubtedly countless others. This coordinator is not an educator herself and I wonder why management puts her completely in charge of the hiring process??? I wonder if she would like to treated like this if she were processed for a job. After months she could be told she could "sub" to see who she could best work next to. What a completely mindless, thoughtless, inconsiderate and incompetent process at Mpls. Adult Educ. South Campus. As someone who lives in the neighborhood and who is a taxpayer in the district and a stakeholder, I'm appalled at the way these people treat their community members/teaching candidates. I have filed a complaint with the Director of HR and plan to take it further as this coordinator's lack of job performance and consideration affected my employment and unnecessarily led me to believe I was now a team member, when she actually hadn't completed the paperwork for that to happen. She and the Assistant Director will be held accountable. – less

August 7, 2014

Minneapolis Public Schools Admin./HR is an insipid bureacracy/idiocracy of the highest order.

Reserve Teacher
Reserve Teacher (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 29, 2014
Being a Reserve Teacher allows you to view various teaching styles.
Very productive and fun place to work at
Associate Educator/Family Liaison (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 22, 2014
Good place to at. Good benefit and employee friendly environment
Unbalanced
Security Monitor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 7, 2014
No consiquences for out of control behavior

The worste school in the district
Interesting Environment
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee), MinneapolisMarch 29, 2014
Pros: great teachers
Cons: poor vision for future of district
I feel the Minneapolis Public Schools lack a strategic vision. There are a lot of conflicting interests that make it hard to put everyone in the same vision. This to bad because there are some great teachers.
Excellent company!
Office Assistant- Health Related Services (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MnMarch 11, 2014
Pros: excellent company
Cons: different structure in departments!
Management is not the greatest, but there is more than one department and not all managers are the same.
An ideal place to work.
School Administrator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 20, 2014
Working for Minneapolis Public Schools for almost 20 years has been a great experience. Because of the diversity, I have expand my understanding of a global society. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with students, parents and staff.
Broken system
Anishinabe Academy, English Teacher (Former Employee), Anishinabe AcademyJanuary 8, 2014
Cons: see the review above
Anishinabe has been identified as one of 16 worst schools in the state for student performances.

To compensate for deficiencies the management has done a disservice to the student population through social promotion and setting incredibly low standards for behavior.

As a member of the staff I often felt that I was not safe.

The management blamed – more... me and the rest of the staff for problems that have exist since long before we worked there.

I would not accept employment with this school. – less
Great overall culture focused on the education and success of children
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 2, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to clean a skinned knee and help a child return to recess after an injury.
Everyday was different. bringing different and new challenges
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 21, 2013
Pros: summers and holidays off
Cons: student fights, technology theft, long distance to travel for me
I loved working with the teachers, The students were wonderful too.
I liked being my own boss and having the entire staff rely on my expertise.
Great coworkers, awful management
Support staff (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 19, 2013
Pros: summers off
Cons: bad management
This is an incompetent bureaucracy. There is no job security. You are expected to work very hard, including numerous unpaid hours, but don't expect any reward or appreciation for this. But the teachers are great; the kids are great.
Great workplace.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2013
Pros: education solution envirionment.
Cons: budget cuts and job reductions
Was there 14 years. Good place to work with various opportunities for advancement and growth.
great environment to work at
Janitor Engineer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 17, 2013
hardworking staff with great values and good attitudes i miss working here
2nd Grade School Teacher (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2013
none . I worked there for six years. I did many jobs. I met many good teachers.
No education/ no room for growth
Paraprofessional - Special Education Asst (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 7, 2013
Teachers and Assistants should be valued equally and not treated differently.
hated it
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), minneapolis, mnFebruary 9, 2013
being a teachers flunky. no fun. changing diapers, etc. they hire a bunch of crazies.