Minneapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
spanish teacher (Former Employee) –  fair schoolDecember 1, 2015
Teachers are treated terrible. There is no support for the behavior issues. Classrooms are overcrowded. Administors lie, cheat, and refuse to do their jobs.
Pros
Cons
everything.
We feed the kids
Floating foodservice coordinator- filling (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 27, 2015
I was on call for any school that needed help and a food supervisor or production manager. I was a fill in sub from k-12 schools
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Never knew where i was working
Health care
Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 18, 2015
Opening of school health office, and await the our medication students. Record all medication giving. Restock and clean nursing office.
Pros
loving community
Cons
limited summer work
Janitor
3rd and 4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 11, 2015
This organization is very poor in the way they treat employees of color. Going to work everyday was a task. Students are allowed to behave like wild animals and the principal allows it.
In a Building with Education being taught.
Behavior Dean (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisJune 23, 2015
My typical day consist of dealing with youth. I learned that everyday is a new day, its never the same. I have to adjust my approach and how I handle every student.
Supportive environment with new employees
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2015
Enjoyable contract job with wide variety of equipment and network trouble-shooting scenarios both hardware and software with friendly staff.
The environment is fast paced but good usually
Tech III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 9, 2015
I worked as a computer and network tech, I enjoyed my job at the high school,the energy of the students was very invigorating. You are never bored, because there are always problems to be solved, students and staff to assist, software to install and hardware to be fixed.
I learned that the people in my position are truly the interface between people and their computers.
Pros
Great environment to work in and available tools and resources
Cons
The politics of dealing with the district and unions
Stressful and Dangerous
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 28, 2015
I worked with EBD students. Many of my student came from violent or unstable households. This made many of my student prone to violent fits of anger.
Pros
I gave them someone to trust.
Cons
There was so much red tape, that nothing important got done.
Pediatric OT
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 19, 2015
My job duties are typical of those of a school-based occupational therapist. I treat a wide variety of clients, primarily pre-school aged kids in community settings as well as a K-8 elementary school
Diverse
Instructor (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisMay 17, 2015
I'm a reserve instructor. It's a profession in need. If you like a challenge, have a education minded background and a 4 year degree it's a flexible career. However, it does require leadership and cultural learnings.
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits
MPS
Reserve Teacher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 14, 2015
This company pays their reserve teachers well and offers a flexible schedule. There are a few issues that will take you by surprise if you are not aware of them coming in. These are chronically tardy or absent students, negative attitudes toward school, and students' frequent distractions by their phones. It's good to have materials from previous assignments available at all times and have very clear explanations of assignments so you do not have to repeat yourself so many times.
Pros
Great pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Chronic absenteeism, tardiness, and negative attitudes toward school
Was very entertaining.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 8, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of a few important points that might help control if your day went well, or if it was going to be a rough day. While working with Minneapolis public schools, I was in a EBD program in special education. The students in this program were dealt with in ways the other students in the school were not. These students in the EBD program has learning disabilities, and behavioural issues when dealing with their other student peers. A typical day starts with the students getting off bus in an organized form, separated by grade level. They would eat breakfast, go to classes half of the day, then by noon they would go to lunch. After lunch they would have the second half of their course work day and by 4pm they were on the bus and on their way to their families.

I learned a lot about the youth due to working with them daily. There are many things now a day that our youth is taking on in their homes and outside of their homes. You start to build personal relationships with these young students, due to the fact that you're with them daily. Listening and conversing with my student peers taught me to open my mind to certain situations our youth is dealing with.

The program when I started was ran accordingly and gradually started to go down hill when we hired a new program lead, due to the fact of the relationships made and the chemistry that was given to the student peers. It's tough to start somewhere new when you've had a set staff working together for years but then a new boss comes in and changes everything that's been working in the
  more... previous years. The team in my opinion was on the same page and worked hard to keep the program up at high standards, letting the student peers know what we expected of them and what we will provide for them to be successful.

The hardest part was watching some of our staff leave due to lack of support from our supervisor. We had a hard working staff that never had issues, and if there were, as a team would get conversed about in meeting an such to get the issue cleared. Also losing students to behavioural issues because of the lack of support to keep them there is tough as well, especially knowing you had the ability to show them the right way.

Overall you're rewarded when you see your student peers who did survive and fight for what was better for them, and the outcome is them graduating after all of the hard work they've put in to be better in life.
Pros
Breaks and lunch
Cons
Benifits were great working with Minneapolis Public Schools
Unstable management
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 23, 2015
This organization struggles with finding strong and capable leaders who are willing to invest the time it takes to make a positive impact.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad management
fun work in enviroment
Janitor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 11, 2015
Clean rooms
cleared snow when needed
maintain boilers and mechanical equipment
Jack of all trades, wore many hats.
Grounds Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Transportation CtrJanuary 7, 2015
Provided multiple services to 72 sites. I was blessed to learn, and become certified in multiple skills. Started as a summer temp, and promoted two separate times to current position. Worked with a small group of skilled guys that provide essential service to the whole Mpls school district in a safe and efficient manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to give back to the community where I went to school from elementary-high school.
Learning experience
Nutrition Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 12, 2014
I obtained a lot of knowledge and skills from working with this company. Met a lot of great people that I still keep in touch with. It's good to know that I was appreciated there.
Pros
free lunch, set schedule
Encouraged creativity
3RD Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNNovember 25, 2014
I was able to create and use curriculum involving daily issues of local newspaper, instruct self-realization activities, and enhance comprehension/discussion skills.
Very Stressful Work Environment
Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 24, 2014
MPS is charged with education students who being a lot of baggage to school eveyday. There is frequent turnover as management tries to find a workforce that can be successful. It is a hard place to work with few opportunities to celebrate. There are a lot of passive/aggressive managers which makes each day a challenge.
Pros
new office
Cons
unsolvable problems/fear of being removed motivates the work environment
Food Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 21, 2014
great job just wish i had more hours. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking with the kids, they are so enjoyable.
A ever growing and learning enviroment
Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 5, 2014
Coming into work everyday I have set duties I tend to, I answer phone calls coming in on a multiline phone, I read and reply to incoming emails, help people who come to the Service Center for any need weather work or school related, I sort and put away mail and incoming packages, I create employee badges and well as student transcripts. I place supply orders or print orders when needed. Aside from my basic duties I run the Service Center so any needs or questions that come my way I do my best to always give top service and results.