Minneapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Productive and good work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 8, 2017
I've enjoyed my time spent at Minneapolis Public Schools, I believe staff are committed to the work they do for the children and their families. Great place to work, good district to send your children to. Teachers do a great job. Administration focused and committed to make the district even better. Overall good treatment of staff.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Not enough staff of color to reflect the student body
fun productive
Security Monitor/Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 21, 2017
the work was a great experience the kid inspire you to inspire them to do great project and great fun with them. the pay could have been a bit more but the benefit was rewarding.
Pros
fun with the kids
Cons
low pay
Stressful, toxic enviroment
Drama Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 30, 2017
I worked at one of the elementary schools and am getting over the PTSD of the violence I encountered. It was awful. The administration will not help you. The union will not help you. Your team will not help you. I had to get out to save my own sanity. I discourage ANYONE from working at MPS. You can't pay someone enough to stay in that kind of environment.
Pros
Some of the kids were great
Cons
Terrible coworkers, awful admins, toxic work environment, constant violence
Students need more
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2017
After 5 years of service to MPS, it was unfortunate to see the deterioration of the work culture that was not focused on meeting the needs of our students.
nice place to work when you have a family
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2017
say they promote with in but I have not seen that. We should be paid more for the work that we do. Having time off same as the kids is a plus. if you have school aged kids you pretty work during the hours they are at school. which helps out with child care
Pros
schedule, friendly staff
Cons
hard to move up
Ok Job!
Engineer (Current Employee) –  1500 james aveSeptember 30, 2017
Ok job .. The pay could be better I like working with all the children and some of the teachers can be rally nice. Management seems to be very unorganized at times though
Children are first
Family Community Liaison (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 27, 2017
Work culture is good, Working with the children is the greatest reward. The hardest is reaching students with so many compound issues, beyond the education. Students have a lot of other social barriers.
Pros
Work Balance
Cons
Funding
working in school district
Preventative Maintenance Team Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 25, 2017
Benefits were great and so were coworkers. Did not like hearing gun shots when I was working on roof. Very low paid vacation and salary for what had to be done
Pros
Benefits, moved buildings
Cons
not enough paid vacation
Minneapolis Public Schools was a great place to work!!
Positive School Climate Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 13, 2017
Overall, Minneapolis Public Schools was a great place to work !! The only exception was not knowing if you were going to return back for the next school year. There was an open bidding process at the end of every school year for the following year.

I met and became friends with some very talented and gifted individuals who were very passionate about children learning.

The workplace was diverse and rich in culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children thrive and become stars in their area of expertise. The hardest part of the job was seeing the children struggle in the classroom due to behavioral issues, hungry or a myriad of other issues.

Learning methods were hands on in the classroom, ongoing workshops and other trainings to remain current in the field. Training was readily available to improve performance.
Pros
The summer breaks although short, but allowed parents to be at home with their families.
Cons
The end of the year bidding process and reapplying for your job.
Frustrating environment
Secondary Teacher - Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2017
The students are difficult learners but none-the-less are wonderful human beings, for the most part. The administration seems to be more concerned with numbers (grad rates mainly) than having the actual best intentions of the students at the top of mind.

Some teachers are really fantastic, others are old guard who are just there to get a better than average paycheck with the union keeping them safe.

It is a tough environment that can be difficult and frustrating. They pay the best in the area though.
This was a good job right out of graduate school
Child Protection Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 3, 2017
This was a good job to develop real world skills as a social worker. I learned a lot that helped me as I transitioned to one building as the primary social worker.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
No defined breaks
intern life
School Counseling Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2017
I was an intern, which is always a tough gig at a school because they are unpaid gigs. I think Lincoln Center would be a great place to help kids in an educational system.
Fulfillilng
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2017
Working for MPS was one of the best experiences I have encountered as a professional. Yes, there were rough spot that they need to work on. But on a whole in how they speak to their employees, treat their employees, or even listen to their employees, is nothing short of a breath of fresh air.
Pros
Benefits. Respect. Pay.
Cons
Oppression of Disabled Students
Walking on egg-shells
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 15, 2017
There is constant instability, changes in leadership and lay-offs and just an overall toxic environment. It seems like everyone is so worried about holding onto their own job that they are unwilling to give up any power, collaborate, or be a team player. There is an extreme hierarchy and I've never worked someplace before that has such little team work. Also, the Board is toxic - often caving into the demands of whoever comes to board meetings and has the loudest, most disruptive voice.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Everything else
Trust
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 4, 2017
I really liked working in MPS, however, I never truly felt that I could trust anyone. I loved the fast pace and the amount that I was learning as well as impacting.
fun place to work
Health Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 27, 2017
I enjoy helping students and families with health resources. I enjoy working in a diverse culture learning new things and meeting new people. I mange health records and immunizations as well as provide students and families with health resources. I also provide attendance interventions.
Pros
helping others
Cons
not enough time
educational and fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 19, 2017
A typical day included implementing lessons plans during teacher absences. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with youth of various age groups.
fun place to work
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 10, 2017
The school I work at is 7:20 to 2 which I think is great work hours. The team I work with is fantastic. The students I work with can be challenging but it is so rewarding when connections are made.
Pros
early start, early finish, fun place to work.
Cons
hard to fill week with 40 hours, only work 9 months out of the year
Special School District Special People
Youth Counselor/Student Council Advisor/Coach (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 20, 2017
Great place to work, Lots of positions for many skill sets. pay is ok depending on position. Management can be give or take depending on department. Very big place with small feel.
Productive and fun wok place
Associate Educator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 16, 2017
A typical day at work was arriving to school at 8:00am. I ordered cabs for the families who needed after that setting up the Early Child room for the class. I enjoyed working with families and kids from different cultures
Pros
I loved to work with Latino Families and their kid
Cons
Short breaks a lot of work