Minnesota Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Dental clinic
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 16, 2017
Working with the patients was a great experience. The care that the get is also great. But Management changed and everything went down hill. The girls in the clinic are backstabbing. There was so much arguing and girls trying to get out of work. The supervisor was never there. You know the saying" when the cats away the mice will play". The new management was/is so incompetent. Cant believe nothing has been done. These are suppose to be dental professionals. They are over booked yet cut back peoples hours. Thought this would be a life long job until they threw me under the bus!!! And it definately was not because i was not an excellent employee. It had to do with POOR AND INCOMPETENT MANAGEMENT. Someone else had commented you better not have children or a mortgage. Very true. YOU WILL LOSE IT ALL!!! And dont think the Union will help you, well they tried, maybe thye got paid off. Those Union dues are just a form of organized theft!!!!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Friendly environment
Healthcare Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 23, 2017
A lot to learn but the management staff is hands on and helpful. A great place to work long term. You will feel right at home here.
Its government what can I say
Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2016
I like it the ability to work towards positive change for the state. Many great people work here and truly care. Good benefits
Friendly, producative and rewarding.
Human Service Technician, 08/2012 to Cur (Current Employee) –  Big Lake, MNJuly 25, 2016
Develop, implement residential and habilitation support plans with goals and methods, communicate with team member and other agencies. Evaluate and document outcomes, and maintain or modify plan and performances related to the Task.
More stress than really required
Behavior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2016
I worked for DHS in a Crisis Home for almost 3 years. I started at the bottom as a Human Service Technician, and quickly applied and got promoted to a Behavior Modification Assistant. I loved the house that I was working for at the time, my supervisor was one of the best that DHS has. I shortly (like 3 months after getting my BMA) was asked to work out of class as a Behavior Analyst in a different house. I learned a lot during this time and I was really hoping that I could make a career out of working and helping those we serve long term.

But there are so many things that are wrong with DHS... Firstly for a long period of time DHS was in a hiring freeze! How the heck can you not be able to hire new staff when other staff quit or get fired?! No understanding there! Secondly, DHS has an extremely hard time finding QUALIFIED staff!! Working with the individuals that the staff house in group home is extremely difficult and takes a lot out of a person. Don't get me wrong it can be rewarding, but it is also at the cost of having to work with some extremely dangerous individuals.

Also I honestly felt like I was working with a bunch of high school students often, there are so many people that are "snakes in the grass" and it was hard to be able to trust your coworkers.

LASTLY--- Management is ridiculous, I truly believe that there are certain supervisors and managers that only care about the well being of those individuals we serve and not the staff.
I was hard to see other staff members (including myself) get treated so poorly from both the individuals we served and the
  more... supervisor.

Honestly working for DHS was a fun good job, up until major management changes occurred. But I know that I made the correct decision to quit before I lost my sanity!
Pros
Pay and benefits are decent
Cons
Too much stress and too many untrustworthy co-workers.
Good job if it wasn't for the Union
Human Service Tech (Current Employee) –  MNDecember 25, 2015
No idea the worst possible schedule every week, and especially on holidays would be for lowest seniority. Should be informed of this during interview. This seems like a really outdated and ineffective way of determining fairness in the workplace, and a guarantee for constant turnover from the bottom.
Meetings scheduled at the end of your shift: 10 hour shift + 4 hour meeting = 14 hours straight with no breaks.
Pros
paid holidays, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
no breaks, not even lunch, mandated to stay if coworker doesn't show up
I loved working for MN dept of Human Services
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisAugust 17, 2015
MN department of Human Services was a fun Job , it just was't what I wanted for a career . I drove my client to doctor appointments, dental appointments, pharmacies grocery stores etc.
I learned about the different kinds of people...their lifestyles, habits and I learned you can learn a lot from people when you just listen. I had no co workers I worked independently which was fine. The hardest part of the job was not to get too friendly with my clients and keep it professional as I am a compassionate person. The most enjoyable part of the job was enjoying other peoples company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
required lots of gas, money up front, traffic
Work somewhere else
Security (Former Employee) –  Moose lake,MNApril 6, 2015
Well first off there is a lot of back biting and not enough diverse people (minority's)working there in Moose lake. You put up with some dangerous criminal behavior, there have been people attacked before working for dhs. And for security they don't give you sufficient time to learn the facility and bounce around from position to position.

They give you 6months supposedly to learn the area and what goes on, which they don't. They have canned people for not writing enough reports and supervisors don't pass on necessary information to managers on how employees are doing. Job coaches 60% of the time they helped a lot while 40% didn't care and back stabbed you to others.

If you don't believe me only way to find out is for yourself. Just be sure to have backup account with a lot of money in it and don't have a mortage or kids. Cause they will be hurting best bet is to look for a County job or another state Union is a joke called them and still haven't heard anything back.

Experienced racists while working there, they look down on anybody of a different color
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
One sided management and snake in grass environment. Probation is a joke
Review
Human Services Technician (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNMarch 24, 2015
Great place, great benefits. Worked with a lot of good people and learned a lot. Worked with mentally ill clients in a group home.
Very Flexible Workplace
State Prog Admin, Sr/ Instructional Technologist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 28, 2014
I enjoy designing and developing e-learning. Winter gets the better of me.
Pros
great place
Cons
winter

Want to know more about Minnesota Department of Human Services?

Ask a question
Worked with outstanding compassionate people, I loved it.
Customer Service Specialist, Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 14, 2012
A Typical Day at Work:
This would include, addressing customers' questions regarding State of Minnesota programs (broad integrated understanding of all Department of Human Services) , triaging phone calls, assisting walk in customers, as well as internal customers.

What You Learned:
How to provide outstanding customer service.
Do not take customer's issues personally.
Learned how to work with difficult people.

Management:
Management was very good.

Co-Workers:
Wonderful, compassionate, great listeners, and many have become my friends.

Hardest Part of the Job:
Unpleasant people.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:
You never knew what you were going to get day by day, that made it challenging.
Pros
1 full hour for lunch, and workout room in facility.
Cons
union job, difficult moving up the ladder.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minnesota Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8