Minnesota Department of Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Good job if it wasn't for the Union
Human Service Tech (Current Employee) –  MNDecember 25, 2015
No idea the worst possible schedule every week, and especially on holidays would be for lowest seniority. Should be informed of this during interview. This seems like a really outdated and ineffective way of determining fairness in the workplace, and a guarantee for constant turnover from the bottom.
Meetings scheduled at the end of your shift: 10 hour shift + 4 hour meeting = 14 hours straight with no breaks.
Pros
paid holidays, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
no breaks, not even lunch, mandated to stay if coworker doesn't show up
I loved working for MN dept of Human Services
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisAugust 17, 2015
MN department of Human Services was a fun Job , it just was't what I wanted for a career . I drove my client to doctor appointments, dental appointments, pharmacies grocery stores etc.
I learned about the different kinds of people...their lifestyles, habits and I learned you can learn a lot from people when you just listen. I had no co workers I worked independently which was fine. The hardest part of the job was not to get too friendly with my clients and keep it professional as I am a compassionate person. The most enjoyable part of the job was enjoying other peoples company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
required lots of gas, money up front, traffic
Work somewhere else
Security (Former Employee) –  Moose lake,MNApril 6, 2015
Well first off there is a lot of back biting and not enough diverse people (minority's)working there in Moose lake. You put up with some dangerous criminal behavior, there have been people attacked before working for dhs. And for security they don't give you sufficient time to learn the facility and bounce around from position to position.

They give you 6months supposedly to learn the area and what goes on, which they don't. They have canned people for not writing enough reports and supervisors don't pass on necessary information to managers on how employees are doing. Job coaches 60% of the time they helped a lot while 40% didn't care and back stabbed you to others.

If you don't believe me only way to find out is for yourself. Just be sure to have backup account with a lot of money in it and don't have a mortage or kids. Cause they will be hurting best bet is to look for a County job or another state Union is a joke called them and still haven't heard anything back.

Experienced racists while working there, they look down on anybody of a different color
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
One sided management and snake in grass environment. Probation is a joke
Worked with outstanding compassionate people, I loved it.
Customer Service Specialist, Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 14, 2012
A Typical Day at Work:
This would include, addressing customers' questions regarding State of Minnesota programs (broad integrated understanding of all Department of Human Services) , triaging phone calls, assisting walk in customers, as well as internal customers.

What You Learned:
How to provide outstanding customer service.
Do not take customer's issues personally.
Learned how to work with difficult people.

Management:
Management was very good.

Co-Workers:
Wonderful, compassionate, great listeners, and many have become my friends.

Hardest Part of the Job:
Unpleasant people.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:
You never knew what you were going to get day by day, that made it challenging.
Pros
1 full hour for lunch, and workout room in facility.
Cons
union job, difficult moving up the ladder.
Review
Human Services Technician (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNMarch 24, 2015
Great place, great benefits. Worked with a lot of good people and learned a lot. Worked with mentally ill clients in a group home.
Very Flexible Workplace
State Prog Admin, Sr/ Instructional Technologist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 28, 2014
I enjoy designing and developing e-learning. Winter gets the better of me.
Pros
great place
Cons
winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minnesota Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.