Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Productive and new discoveries
AQUARIST / MALACOLOGIST / SURVEY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lake City, MNDecember 11, 2016
My current job with the DNR is a constant learning curve. We are making new discoveries all of the time. We study the life history, life cycle and propagation of native freshwater mussels.
This is a growing program. Working the the general public to other agencies. With growing it is gaining more responsibilities and new expectations to aid native freshwater mussels.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
I cant think of anything
Wonderful employer.
Natural Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 18, 2016
Individuals working within this agency demonstrate loyalty and commitment to ethical and sustainable use of the resources and protection of those resources for enjoyment by future generations.
Very conservative, change is SLOW
Training and Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 19, 2016
If you like working with a lot of introverts its perfect. To change anything takes a long LONG time. Bureaucracy at its finest.
Pros
excellent benefits and job security
Cons
slow responses
Productive easy going work environment.
Fisheries Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit Lakes, MN and St. Paul, MNApril 20, 2016
Weekly office meetings outline tasks for the week and result in great working teams and productive work place. Great to work at a place that deals with helping the natural resources in Minnesota that outdoors-man and nature enthusiasts can enjoy.
Field work and public interaction
Division of Ecological and Water Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Fergus Falls, MNFebruary 18, 2015
This position consisted of traveling around western and southern Minnesota to survey culverts, dams, and bridges. Work was completed with another intern and under our own supervision. The job furthered my understanding of development impacts on river systems. I was also able to become familiar with surveying equipment. The job was repetitive but allowed me to contribute to the prioritization of stream restoration projects.
Great
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 3, 2014
Fantastic working environment filled with employees striving to make a difference.
Every day is dynamic with an ever changing environment.
Law Compliance Representative (Former Employee) –  Baudette, MinnesotaJanuary 14, 2013
A typical day consisted of inspecting up to 100 boaters with a lot of public interaction.
The number one excellent thing about this job is the environment. Every day learning the ecology of the water body that I served.
There was a good opportunity to meet people with varying educational goals. Diversity.
The hardest part about this position was the inclement weather during the early spring and later fall in Northern Minnesota. Sometimes it was challenging to interact with the public that are opposed to the management of our natural resources.
The most enjoyable part of this job was educating the public about environment and seeing the varying degrees of interest and knowledge.
Pros
excellent resume builder
Cons
seasonal with no benefits
A great Internship opportunity
Watercraft Inspector Internship (Former Employee) –  DuluthDecember 19, 2011
Was able to work outdoors, set own schedule, and meet many great people.
Pros
outdoorsin the summer, set own hours
Cons
lack of communication with management, poor equipment (cell phones)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4