Minnesota Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Really enjoyed it.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNApril 25, 2017
I was a student worker at the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The atmosphere is very friendly and helpful. I assisted other people in the department with their work, and they were very helpful in teaching me what my job was. I learned a lot about concrete, Thermal Profiling and Intelligent Compaction, working with new software, and how contractors and MnDot work together. My supervisor was also very helpful and everyone was very friendly to me. Other than spending large amounts of times in doors and behind a computer screen, it was very fulfilling.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, clean and welcoming environment
Cons
A lot of time spent sitting down
great place with a lot of opportunities to explore and learn
Student Worker/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2017
it is a great place with great program which provides students to explore and learn what they want and at the same time make a decent money. it is very flexible to students who goes to school in term of scheduling their work hours while they work.
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 23, 2017
I would recommend this company to anyone. It was a great place to work with nice co-workers. Advancement opportunities, lot of technologies to experience and learn.
Great place to work with an important public service mission
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  St Paul, MNMarch 23, 2017
I work with exceptionally talented and dedicated people to help plan, build, operate and maintain Minnesota safe, accessible, multi-modal transportation system. Our vision is to maximize the health of Minnesota's people, environment and economy.
Professional environment
Hydraulics and Traffic Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 17, 2017
As an intern I had the opportunity to work in multiple departments and learn several skills. Personnel are friendly and happy to teach. It is union work.
Highly professional dedicated design staff.
Supervisor/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 18, 2016
Highly professional dedicated design staff. The strong ethical standard of employees guide department decisions to protect public investments and maximize public return on those investments.
Creative Freedom and Trust
Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 31, 2016
This organization is very empowering. They let you solve problems and let you own the solutions. They trust you to come up with creative options and the leadership doesn't bog you down with too many approval levels. It's a very traditional and somewhat conservative organization run by engineers.
Pros
Security
Cons
Conservative
A good job to have
Grounds Laborer (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNAugust 29, 2016
I liked working as a laborer at MnDOT. I learned many useful skills such as using a chipper and driving a John Deere mower. I got to paint a snowplow plow and loved working outside.

The hardest part of the job is getting along with co-workers and all of the insects.

The most enjoyable part of the job was never knowing what you could find on the side of the road!
Very good company
Engineering/Internship (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 23, 2016
laid back company to work for. everyone is very nice and if any problems arise with computer issues or or training needs it gets taken care of very quick. Many opportunities to move around to find something that you like or what your best fit is.
Great start
Internship in Construction Inspection (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 7, 2016
Working for MnDOT was very beneficial to my advancement in the field of civil engineering. I worked very closely with experienced inspectors. The individual that I worked under throughout the summer was extremely supportive and patient.
MnDOT did a great job of encouraging my decision to get into the filed of Civil Engineering. I had a great experience and would be happy to be employed with MnDOT
Student Worker in Transportation Management Center (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed working there
can be stressful
cool job
got to watch cameras
can do homework
friendly and welcoming place to work for.
(MnDOT) HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 22, 2015
Good company to work for- family work life balance. The staff are very friendly and supportive. It's a good starting point for someone looking to grow or advance in their career path.
profession and knowledgable
TPS2/ ITS2 (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 29, 2014
Work hard, learn the area project Coordinator and data administrator to drive applications
An overall great experience
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 8, 2014
Typical day started with a vehicle checklist to ensure vehicle safety and transporting equipment to the job site. The rest of the day was enjoyed outdoors with great men and women of Mndot. One of the best occupations I have personally held.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Temporary position with no bebfits
Best Job, fun, job security, great people to work for & with,
Transportation Generalist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 6, 2014
One of the best jobs I have ever had. I miss it very much!

A typical day/night at work.. come in get your truck, do a pre trip check on it and then head out plowing your road, usually a group of us team up and plow it all at once then go help each other on other plow routes to open the roads up faster for a safer commute.

What I have learned, well before I started with MN/DOT I never knew how to drive a tandem or any equipment for that matter. but going through their training I learned very quickly and loved it ever since.. I love being in the trucks independently or working together as a group.

Management is ok. Just like us they are doing what they are told. Don't always agree, but agree to disagree at times is ok too.
LOVED my co workers miss them all very much. we look out for one another on the road and feels like a big family.

Hardest part of the job, getting up in the middle of the night, missing holidays and just time in general with your family sometimes but they do understand for the most part.

Most enjoyable, would be knowing you have your road plowed and people you don't know, and the ones know and love that drive that road are safer because of you.
Pros
Great OT, great people to work with.
Cons
missed time from family or events.
Accuracy
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 19, 2013
The precise with data and number is a number one requirement in my daily work. Compliance with financial & accounting standards; auditing standards; federal acquisition regulations; state laws and business laws are also required for my work performance. Oriented and consistent skills do need in my works. Professional skepticism cannot be miss while I make adjustments on data.
Pros
Ethical Code is necessary to compliance all the time in and out office.
they comply with their minority hire-however advancement is a rare oppurtunity
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 4, 2013
They have (when i worked there) a Rule 25 hire category. Basically it is a temporary position, where they can make up a job description-make it sound very important, with GREAT PAY -hire ANYONE they want -, and then eventually if they want make it a permanent position keeping the person on or now this person in the Rule 25 position can apply for a job that should be open only to employees-because essentially they are mn/dot employees. Cant believe that the media has never looked into this!
Very productive and busy
HR Generalist / Affirmative Action Officer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2013
This website is very informative and will give it a five star
Productive, fast pace and fun work evvironment.
Office Administrative / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNJuly 17, 2013
My typical work day begins at 7a.m. answering, screening and directing phone calls. Prepare, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing mail. I've learned a lot here at the bridge office (MnDOT) from management as well as co-workers. There isn't anythign hard about my job, I love job. I love being able to help people; co-workers as well as visitors. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I'm able to work independantly (although I'm very capable of working in a team sitting) and attending our office soical events.
Pros
Free lunches, office social functions.
Cons
Health benifits.
Challenging and rewarding place to work. It is a family and you are supported by your co-workers. Opportunities to do a variety of work.
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 11, 2013
Flexible work hours of your choice: 7-3:30 or 8-4:30 or 10 hour work days.
I am continually working on projects of interest and they change often.
Management is trained and do a good job.
Co-workers are supportive and helpful. Have fun at work.
Hardest part of job is 40 minute commute.
Most enjoyable part of job is variety of projects.
Pros
work life balance, challenging work, opportunities for variety
Cons
compensation average

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Minnesota Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6