Minnesota Power Employee Reviews in United States

Big Company
Power Generation Intern (Former Employee) –  Cohasset, MNJuly 31, 2016
A huge company and friendly people in. An enjoyable workplace. Inside is mostly hot because it's a power plant but still a very good work location.
Big utility company with small friendly envirionment
Asset Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 27, 2016
One of those must work at companies everyone strives to get to. Great benefits, insurance and friendly atmosphere-could be "stuffy" at times.
Felt very PROUD to work at Minnesota Power/ALLETE
Benefit Records, Human Recourse Department (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 25, 2015
Minnesota Power was an excellent place to work. I was treated with much kindness, respect, and learned new skills during my work there. MP/ALLETE defiantly lives up to its name, and they treat their employees very well and with much respect, dignity, and there's much room for growth in your career there. It is a company with diversity, fairness, and support! It is defiantly an ALLETE company to work for! One of the BEST I've ever experienced in my career.

My co-workers were very supportive, helpful and fun to work with. I've learned new skills, and have grown within myself with the experience and knowledge I have gain by working in the HR Dept. on a special project. The most enjoyable part of my job at MP was walking through those doors each and every morning and feeling so proud to be apart of such a wonderful company. Even though it was a temporary position, I will carry this experience with me for a life time!
Pros
WONDERFUL people, and treated with much respect.
Cons
Great experience for engineering student.
Chemical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Cohasset, MNMarch 16, 2015
A typical day at this job was split between project meetings and time to do project work. The meetings were a great way to network with other engineers as well as learn how industry teams operate and how to "speak" engineering language. My project work gave me great applicable experiences that combined concepts I had learned in school as well as concepts I would only learn in the engineering field. My supervisors were very helpful and it was obvious they were interested in my experience at Minnesota Power. They invited me to shadow them in their day-to-day work and to meetings that I might be interested in. They were also encouraging and and pushed me to learn new things and perform at a high level while still teaching me the skills I needed to have success. The part of my job I enjoyed the most was the options I had for what I wanted to work on or see. I was never confined to desk and many people even outside of the engineering office were willing to teach me new things and show me their work.
Pros
project variety
Great company.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 12, 2014
Minnesota Power/ALLETE has great benefits, pay and atmosphere.
It was a great place to work. Strong values and very respectable and understanding
Drafting Intern (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNNovember 6, 2012
Updated and maintained transmission substation drawings using AutoCAD. Drafted new transmission substation control and physical drawings in AutoCAD working closely with Electrical Engineers. Management was very personable and easy to talk to. My co-workers were very nice and friendly.
Pros
lots of chances to get out of the office for lunch, or have meetings outside verus a conference room.
Excellent place to work!
Security Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 2, 2012
Great to work mostly independently but within a team. No micro-managing.

Coworkers are welcoming and want to get to know you and include you in various office activities -- retirement parties during work hours, etc.

Plenty of opportunity to grow.

Pay is above average, benefits are very good.

Good place to be for a life-long career.
Pros
professional in an informal atmosphere, friendly, impeccable reputation
Cons
downtown location, parking expensive

4.6