Minnesota State University Employee Reviews in United States

MSU, Mankato
Student Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 16, 2016
This was a really rewarding job. Although it was difficult at times, the people really made it better and the job was very flexible for college students.
Pros
Game nights!
Cons
Not much hours.
Graduate Student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 14, 2016
I was a graduate student researcher at MSU. The faculty was really nice and helpful. They would go the extra mile to help you with your project.
Pros
Faculty was helpful
Cons
Pay was not the best
Fun to work with flexible timings
Programmer (Former Employee) –  ManktaoMay 13, 2016
Mondays flies like a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. The rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises.
Fun work area with clients
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNApril 10, 2016
A typical day consists of training clients to perform at their highest level while maintaining a fun work environment.
Offers Great job opportunities for Students
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  MNMarch 7, 2016
Offers a lot of opportunities for students growth and development. A typical day is usually busy and requires one to be on his/her toes throughout the day. What I learned from working here is that communication is key to making sure that things get completed in a timely manner.

Most of the people you work with are pleasant and will try to be helpful. There are too many politics however, that can sour the experience a bit. I would say that the politics was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to work with the faculty, staff, and students.
Pros
networking, self-growth, challenging
Cons
politics, work load
Fun
Assistant Technician (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 23, 2016
It was a fun experience to teach students what I am already good at. Helping others has always been my comfort zone. I love every second I spend there.
One of the best experiences I have had as an adult
Graduate Assistant; Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNNovember 20, 2015
Attended school and worked at the same time. Friendly, positive staff and culture. The facilities are new, and up to date. Everyone I have ever worked with was simply pleasant. Highly recommended!
Pros
Activities, location, professionalism
Cons
I can't think of any
Work Study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 6, 2015
Was placed within this job by the college. Used as a means of money to pay bills while attending college. Only worked there for one semester, was able to find a more meaningful and better paying position.
Great place to work and develop skills
Mechanical Engineering Tutor (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNSeptember 17, 2015
Minnesota State University, Mankato is a great place to work because the staff here is helping me grow as a student and a professional. By tutoring students, I have been given a great opportunity to help students and refresh myself on all of the materials I have already completed.
Nice Work Environment
Undergraduate Research, Biology Department (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJune 17, 2015
I had a great time working for Minnesota State University. I worked in the Athletic Department and helped with office tasks, answering phones, and helping answer peoples questions.
Best people to work with.
Marketing Photographer (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMarch 20, 2015
Aside from the administration, the whole campus culture is an amazing thing to be part of. With more support from the administration, this would be the best place to work in the world.
Pros
great benefits, wonderful hours, fun work environment
Cons
micro managing, little job security.
Cheap and moderate education
Student Employee, student (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNMarch 10, 2015
MNSU is a pretty good school. The education is pretty decent compared to the money paid. The school has good balance between class load.
Pros
cheap
Cons
tough professors and tough engineering degreee
Fun place to work
Academic Advising graduate assistant (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNMarch 4, 2015
Come in at 9 am, check my calender and prep for appointments. Once that is done, I chat with supervisor for close to 15 minutes about anything she might want me to do that day.

Most of the time I go from one appointment to the other, and during lunch breaks, my co-workers and myself usually go have lunch together.

The hardest part of the job is to have students cancel appointments at the last minute, but the enjoyable part is when after a meeting with a student they tell me I really helped them. Also when they ask to have my as their permanent academic advisor.
Student Worker
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMarch 4, 2015
Help to manage the center and greet student and staff as they walk in and out of center. Also help with other things that needed to get done.
Extremely fun place to learn
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNFebruary 24, 2015
I had an overall great experience here and I learned a lot of very valuable lessons not only pertaining to orthopedic assessment/evaluation, rehab, and treatment but also to professionalism and developing myself as a professional in the future.
They prepared us for the long hours that were about to come. They also prepared us for medical documentation. One of the best things I liked about this program was we discussed ongoing treatment options/injuries as equals (ATC vs ATS) during our lunch breaks. It was a great thing to do because it helped add more knowledge.
Pros
teachers, preceptors, and students all learned together, family environment
Cons
na
Productive and work fun place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNFebruary 20, 2015
Everything is very organised and work culture is very good!
Learned lot of things like postgresql, frameworks etc..,
• Designed and created schema for artifacts, provenience and catalogs.
• Creating forms using different API’s using Backbone.js, rest.js and angular.js
Great school
Student (Former Employee) –  Manakto, MNJanuary 26, 2015
Great school
Great professors
Beautiful campus
Living in the dorms is a great experience and highly recommended.
Affordable cost of living outside of the dorms.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
expensive
Learned how to convey the information effectively to students
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 10, 2015
I have worked in Electrical Engineering department as well as Physics Department. Both departments work quite the same way. For every semester i will have a schedule to the lab s i have to teach. It is 2 hour lab where the students have to do quite a lot of lab work. So it was very important for me to convey all the required information effectively so that they can concentrate on the lab work the whole 2 hours of lab. They had to complete the experiment on time. The management was also very nice and friendly. They helped me with my start up classes. All the assistants were given a neat room to work along with a computer. The work culture was very nice and organised. The management sponsors quiz after the department meeting where all the assistants are allowed to take part. That was the fun side.
Pros
good work culture, organised
Cons
very less lab time
Important hands-on experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 8, 2015
Work hours varied considerably, but I attended at least two class meetings per week. Duties included answering students questions, preforming lectures on occasion, and grading students assignments.

The experience greatly added to my already strong skills as a public speaker and familiarized me with the work day-to-day work habits of college-level educators.

The most difficult part of the job was balancing the concerns of students whose academic performance was subpar w/ the need to give each student due consideration.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to engage young minds in thoughtful discussion on issues relating to world and US history.
Good
Marketing Internship (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 6, 2015
Great University! Very great people working and students.

4.3