Mission Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced Detail Oriented Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2015
A typical day involves heavy customer service, sales, cross promotion. The main focus is daily financial transactions i.e. deposits, withdraw, wire funds, make payments, loan referrals.

It is rewarding helping members with their financial future, however because of the nature of the business emotions and tensions can be high and often stressful.
Pros
Co-workers are enjoyable, good company culture
Cons
low wages, long hours, work 6 days a week
Amazing Organization
Universal Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 10, 2016
The people who work there are amazing. Organization is very well organized and if you aren't against moving branches several oppurtunities for advancement.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
must move branches for most promotions
Best Credit Union in San Diego
ATM Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2016
Great company with a solid vision towards the future...and good leadership in place to meet their goals. Service oriented and focused on the best financial opportunities of their members.
Great company to work for!
Sr. Insurance Services Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Mission Federal Credit Union is a great company to work for with good benefits but has sub par pay. Sub par pay is not really a con considering that this company is a not-for-profit company. But is needs to be noted for anyone looking for a job here so they know what to expect. While you may be making a dollar or two more at another company I have made life long acquaintances and business contacts here that have truly enriched my life.
Pros
fun culture, great people, room for growth!
Cons
pay is sub par
great company
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Encinitas, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Management for my branch was great. You know what is expected of you, and sales aspect with goals was reasonable to make. I approve of the CEO very aware of employees and has active share in the branches.
Pros
bonus
Great Company with excellent benefits
Senior Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day a Mission Federal consist of meeting sells goals, providing members with excellent customer service, and making sure the branch is balanced.
We have great co workers with great management.
The hardest part of the job is meeting the required high standard monthly sells goals. The most enjoyable part is connecting with great customers and meeting the needs of the customers.
Pros
Good work envirornment
Cons
Sells goals are set way to high
Fast Pace and Member-Friendly
Universal Services Representative II (Current Employee) –  Poway, CASeptember 2, 2015
Usual work day includes assisting members with credit union transactions and also offering financial assistance with loans and new accounts. I also establish rapport with the community by networking with local businesses.

The management style is phenomenal, the present daily reports on the branches performance and motivates the staff to not only meet sales goals, but to exceed them. They also do not sugar coat topics with the staff.

Overall, day to day as a universal services representative is fun and the challenge to utilize my sales skills and personality to grow within the company is amazing.
Banking
Senior Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2015
Banking experience, good management. Lots of member traffic. Advancement opportunity is few and far between. Lots of avenues for knowledge
Productive and fun place to work
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 17, 2015
* Experienced with Symitar Software
* Audit of direct and indirect auto loans
* Audit of home appraisals
* Audit of credit card applications
* Assists in maintaining the Quality Assurance (QA) Program Appraisal management, real estate audit management and consumer loan review. Reviews appraisals, real estate files and consumer direct and indirect loan files according to policies and procedures, NCUA regulations, Fannie Mae guidelines, Consumer Protection Regulations and any other relevant rules and regulations.
Pros
none at this time
Cons
none at this time
Encourages a work life balance culture
Trainer III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2015
Mission Fed provided an environment that made me enjoy coming to work everyday. The quality of people they hire are quinine and truly like what they do and that's clear in the success of the company. Mission Fed is respected in the San Diego community and I was proud to be a part of that for twenty-two years.
I loved working for them, but then the economy tanked.
Universal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  encinitas, caAugust 29, 2015
My branch was awesome, rarely had troubles. But then the economy tanked and they became really aggressive with selling products. You had to meet your goal and if you were off by a few numbers you ended up in the office.

I took this job because it was great, but after 2008 it was just downright stressful.

I was really sad. They train you properly too.
Pros
great bonuses, fun enviroment, great coworkers.
Cons
aggressive selling and high percentages expectations.
Not a good place to work.
Teller I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2012
Hires mostly part-time tellers to avoid paying benefits. 90% of yearly performance rating is based on sales, not customer service. 300% turnover in teller staff in branch worked at in two years. Probably the worst place I ever worked.
Pros
wonderful customers.
Cons
no advance scheduling, poor management.
Offered stability of pay in finanical duress throughout the country
Collector II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, Ca.January 24, 2012
As a company MFCU is an excellent company to work for. Great benefits paid time off vacation and holiday pay
Pros
offers great stability
Cons
no room for upward mobility.
Good to Their Employees
Universal Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clairemont, CAJune 30, 2015
Though I feel employees could be compensated a little more for the volume of work given, this company makes sure to keep it's employees happy. Employees are recognized for their achievements and are even offered counseling services should any issues outside of work arise.
As with all financial institutions, there was a HUGE turn over rate which made it difficult to keep up with a full staff to serve our members more efficiently.
Pros
Employee Recongnition
Cons
Low Pay
Family Company
Sr. Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
Mission Federal is one of the best companies I've worked for! The process and work flow is understandable from day one and mortgage system quick to navigate. Management is for the employees and not the micro management.
Room for promotions
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2014
Able to move up quickly with the right qualifications and attitude.
Pros
great benefits
My Mission Fed Moment
Teller (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 27, 2015
Honest opinion, I appreciate the company and everything they try to promote. I went from "big banking" with crazy sales goals, to a small town Credit Union that was overwhelmed, understaffed, and provided little to no training, to Mission Federal. They truly are like a ray of sunshine. They have their pros and cons, but every company does.

As a teller you attend 1 week of classroom style training, 1 week of in branch shadowing, all the while on a 60 day probationary period. You are able and expected to process the most basic of transactions, nothing more complex than issuing a debit or credit card.

As far as sales goals, there are, but nothing crazy ridiculous, enough to get bit by the competitive bug. Also, the products you're selling are honest and reasonable, so it's something you can honestly stand by. You do occasionally have some one off side projects (it's more for dual control than actual work, however, you need to understand what you're doing, not just be a witness)

Regarding scheduling, you are in no earlier than 8:45 AM and out before 5:30 PM (excluding Fridays then it's 6:15) and because it is a Credit Union, every holiday is observed =D

Management is honest and keep their word. MOST have had some years with the company and are extremely knowledgeable. They back you up when you need it and they are not "behind the scenes" which is something you can come to appreciate when you have a line to the door and it's time to start breaks or lunches. They are family and socially oriented for the most part so they are flexible when it comes to having a life outside
  more... of work.

Now on to the cons, there is a corporate shirt (I know, I cried inside too, but it's supposed to save you money on shopping for work clothes) Everything else is black, pants, undershirt, socks, shoes, scarves, blazers, cardigans, any and every shade of black. There is charcoal, but when it comes to color of choice, it's BLACK.

The room for advancement is pretty one direction for a teller, it's through sales.... Member service, balancing, and accuracy, but mostly sales.

All in all it's a great company to work for, they're very strong in the community, and the CEO is very active in promoting volunteer work and supporting the local schools in San Diego. I strongly recommend, even if you've never had any banking experience, and especially if you have banking experience.
Pros
Great training, Flexible schedules, Honest management, Member focused, Strong in the community, Fun Holiday Party and I hear good things about a summer picnic
Cons
Room for advancement, Rare full time positions, Amount of overrides needed to complete a transaction (comes with your title, not based on employee knowledge) Not a huge con, those corporate shirts though....
Productive and fun workplace
Telephone Consultant 2 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 23, 2012
I worked within the Call Center. Very busy position and sometimes high pressure. The Supervisors and Managers were rolling up their sleeves to dive in and assist you during the periods of being short handed. The Management definitely supported you and rewarded all your efforts. The hardest part of the job would be an angry Member who talks to you with disrespect and you're only trying to assist them. For the most part the co-workers are great and do their jobs well as a team, that way their lack of responsiblity doesn't over flow onto a few who constantly do their job in a professional manner. There is definitely team playing. I learned a lot about myself doing this job. How I can talk with the Members and be genuine to them.
Pros
win among staff- gift cert to target or to a restuarant
Cons
part timers had to work every sat. no revolving among staff done
Productive & Fun Place To Work
Senior Loan Officer/Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2014
Answered Calls daily in the corp home office/call center, helping out branch loan FSR's and new & old members with mortgage loan questions about purchasing, refinancing, HELOC's & Fixed and adjustable rates programs.

Also, helped new & present members navigate Mission Fed website to start new loan applications.

Everyone I worked with at MFCU was very positive about making the member priority with in reason. And if it was their fault they corrected it and even paid for the correction financially if they had too.
Pros
they had a lot of potlucks and pizza parties!
Cons
short lunches & breaks!
Great Management Team
Mortgage Loan Processor/Closing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2013
The Management Team are all great people that work well with others. They have a great understanding and work flow to make the whole department run well.
Pros
people are nice
Cons
commute into sorrento valley, only 30 min lunch

4.3