Mission Foods Employee Reviews in United States

Good Company Bad Manger
Warehouse Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2015
This company is great. Everyone is nice but because of the culture this company will struggle. It is not good when you have only one culture working all under one roof. Luckily I do know a little Spanish from taking it in school and learning it threw my career. I wanted to come in a run my shift but my manger who used to be the supervisor always went over my head and made decisions while it was my shift. I never had enough people to even supply the demand of the business. I always had to depend on temps to get the job done which really sucks because temps come and go. Also my management team would go on vacation without any notice leaving me to do other position responsibilities with no recognition. Manger never listened to us as Supervisors. we would voice our opinions and nothing would happen. Always work more days and off days or 12 hrs and no increase in pay when we only were paid for 40 hrs.
Pros
Relaxed and Easy going
Cons
No Lunch, No days off, No cooperation with Manager
not a place to waste much time trying to fit in
Sanitation Manager (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 4, 2015
there is no proper training for new Supervisors or Managers, company's policies are daunting. you are set for failure from the get-go. a typical day of work runs for 12+ hours from which, you might actually be productive 3 or 4 hours.
upper Management stresses over "being on the lines" but any corrective action that requires to stop the lines will be dismissed.

I've learned a few things about Lean Manufacturing, nothing significant compared to what you learn working for smaller companies.

Management is duplicitous.

co-workers for the most part are uneducated individuals trying to make a living in a sea of nonsense.
most work hard.
hardest part of the job was the endless ,repetitive, cult to personality- meetings that amounted to little achievement.

the most enjoyable part of the work was having some positive action on the Floor working with people from all corns of the world despite a lackadaisical, duplicitous Upper Management running the show.
Pros
benefit package, it is really a comprehensive one.
Cons
Managers that don't speak English, nepotism, corruption on High level Managers, Poor Lean Manufacturing training
productive, safe work enviroment
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 12, 2016
We would walk into the building with confidence and a positive attitude ready to work as a team. We made sure we always did a detailed safety check. I learned alot from this job. This job taught me how too work well with others, how to have a positive attitude at work, and how to have an enjoyable day, while still getting my tasks done safely of course, and in respectable timing. The Management always made sure we were safe and got our jobs done for the days we worked. My co workers were always helpful when needed and we always respected each other. The hardest part of the job would be the job its self. It was very hard work, it was defintally a daily challenge for me. The most enjoyable part of the job would be going home after a long hard day of work, knowing i can get to just relax after.
Pros
pot lucks, company dinners
Cons
short breaks, pay rate
Productive, fast pace, and Busy.
Lead Helper (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COAugust 3, 2015
My typical night at work would start off checking the metal detecors to make sure they are functioning correctly and that we are running the correct product. Than check the schedule to make sure that we have enough bags and boxes for the product we are running. Make sure we have enough employees for each of the lines. Check cooling rooms every hour, make they are at the right temperature.
Order inventory for the next shift. Make tags for boxes. Stay productive after my duties are done for each hour.

What I have learned at Mission Foods is very team oriented.

Management is can be difficult but helps out.

The hardest part of working at Missions is that it gets very hot and can be tiring and working six days 12 hour shifts.
The most enjoyable part of working at Mission Foods is having a great team support.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Working too many hours
My good days at work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 31, 2015
I stared my day stretching ,exercise then set up my equipment scan gun checking the forklift or pallet jack and then I head to the receiving docks to receive all inbound Trucks and sometimes I loaded Trucks heading to Costco Safeway mom and pops stores all over California that was for 8 hours and some day I pulled order in bulk or single unit that was the easy part the hardest part was to find the place to putt it all the inbound trucks .but I always found a way to organize it thanks to my abilities to performed under pressure and thank god.
Pros
the benifits were good specially the vacation health insurance was bad
Cons
it was ok to work back then now is no good with new management
Productive, and adequate breaks for employees.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCJune 27, 2016
Working night shift and was literally working 7 days a week until mid summer then would get one day off during the week.

Have small children and missed every holiday vacation and school activities because of course you have to rest to perform job duties for the next shift.
Pros
Adequate breaks
Cons
Healthcare
Fast-Pace and Productive
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 21, 2016
a typical day: making sure all employee clocked in, make sure all the loads go out on time. Finding out if we have any discrepancies in the floor or inventory. Finding away to have all the employees happy and going home safe

I've lean a lot of things from lean how manage people to learning several computer and warehouse/ Customer Service systems.

There is no hardest part of my job, but the must challenging part was winning over the employees.

The most enjoyable part of my day is know that the work got done and I had my employees go home safe.
not
Mechanic a (Former Employee) –  Panorama City, CAJanuary 23, 2016
I just like the people I worked with more then management. is hard to grow there. I can in the futher be a good place to work but right now is still not there.
People were great, very fast pace
SW Regional Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2016
The position is very busy, you have a company phone and evenings and weekends you may need to respond to emails, co workers were great, the hours were perfect.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Not a lot of employee appreciation
Flexible
Independent Distributor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 25, 2016
Mission Food taught me how to be an Independent Distributor. how to be a sales person and make my business grow. i enjoyed the flexibility to start work and end work at a reasonable time. I learned good customer skills.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benifits
organizational skills
Packer (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMay 3, 2016
I learned how to be more competent in multi-tasking daily as well in a fast paced atmosphere. Worked with other ethnic group of people.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure the product did not fall onto the floor at such a fast pace.
Cons
I didn't work there long enough
Great company
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 19, 2016
Family owned, large professional company. Learned many things in the food industry. Enjoy the work their very much. Continue to work for this company.
Pros
Interesting
Good Company
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2016
Mission Foods is a privately owned company that is perceived as small, but is actually the US leader in tortilla sales. A typical day at work includes various paperwork duties, visiting grocery store accounts to identify selling opportunities, and consult the independent distributors on opportunities in their markets and provide them with selling tools to execute corporate agreed upon sales events.

The job is not as taxing on stress level as other DSD jobs due to the fact we do not directly manage the independent operators and are not required to spend our valuable time selling "down" routes. Many DSD companies complicate management positions by requiring their field level managers to run open routes for long periods of time. The time spent on routes portion of their jobs greatly impacts work/life balance, whereas we are not faced with that obstacle.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining floor space in grocery stores during non-holiday weeks. Tortillas are not as much of an impulse item as chips and beer. However, we often remind our customers of the fact that high margin items, such as meat and produce, are nearly always purchased along with tortillas. We use the high margin tie-in argument to leverage the added space.
Pros
The company has good insurance benefits, offers 401k matching, and most importantly provides the sales force with company vehicles.
Cons
Not much to speak of. I would recommend the job to a friend.
Part time work only
Detail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Carthage, TXApril 9, 2016
Put tortillas and chips on shelves for purchase. No problems with co workers. Lifting the totes of tortillas since they were heavy was the hardest part of the job. got to meet new and interesting people.
Pros
Small pay check every month.
Cons
Having to work only on week ends.
Great Place to learn and enhance your skills
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2016
There is no room to expand or grow. The company has moved most of the jobs towards overseas and laid off dedicated workers.
Pros
New vehicle is provided every 70, 000 miles
Cons
No room for advancement
Mission Foods.....
Waste/ Regrinder (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2015
Mission Foods was just a job and that is all it will ever be. It is a very bad work environment. The employees there are very nice but some of the management are very rude and can be very diverse on who the promote to job positions. It is very hard to move up in the company. I started out in palatalizing and in almost 2 years I got 1 or 2 pay raises and one job promotion. The only reason I got a job promotion was because of my supervisor who doesn't work there anymore put a good word in for me. The hours were nice when you actually worked your hours but most of the time you had to come in early or stay late an extra 4 hours.
Exclent Job
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 24, 2015
Working there it was an awesome experience, very kind supervisors, good pay, good benefits, good co-workers.
The bad thing it was that I couldn't work there any more for medical reasons but I would work there again, I'll do it with out hesitate.
Mission Foods
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAApril 19, 2016
Mission Foods is a challenging and rewarding place to work. I have learned a lot about the DRD business and feel like it s time to take the skills I have learned here and move on to another challenge.
Overworked
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAJune 1, 2016
Not a nice place to work. Management does not care about their workers. No holidays. Nothing is enjoyable about working at this company.
Pros
Cons
Overworked
Not the worst...?
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Wayne County, Downriver MIFebruary 24, 2016
Mission Foods is a solid company to work for, however, much of my grief stems from my manager and his poor abilities to balance his own life with work. A typical day at work would consist of myself going to the store locations on the route and making sure all product is not only full but also properly rotated. On specific week days that my co-workers and I would be delivering orders to the stores, I would be following shortly behind and merchandising the product brought in as my driver would unload. I've learned much about how the system between provider and consumer (our stores we deliver to in this case) intertwine. The single hardest part of my job is tolerating my boss and how he unprofessionally goes about his work. The pay is extremely informal and at times makes me worry whether my boss will have the money for my next paycheck. On the other hand, I absolutely love the freedom this job seems to provide in comparison to others I have worked. The ability to wake up and understand that whatever the days' objectives were if it took 8 hrs to take care it took 8 hours, but if it only takes 5 hours then you get some time to yourself! Overall, the company is not bad to work for, my boss on the other hand is another story.
Pros
Open work atmosphere, capability to move up (routes may vary), Ability to work around school schedule
Cons
10+ hours work days on occasion, Unprofessional manager