Mission Healthcare prides itself on being an employer of choice, and was selected as one of the national best and brightest companies to work for in 2012 by the National Association of Business Resources! We offer excellent benefits, 401k, mileage reimbursement, competitive salaries, and much more. We are actively seeking an experienced Part-Time and Per-Diem Hospice Nurse Practitioner:
Job Description Summary
The Nurse Practitioner is a registered professional nurse with advanced graduate education and clinical training who provides comprehensive hospice services in compliance with the state Nurse Practice Act and under the supervision of a collaborating physician. He / She provides hospice care through the evaluation and assessment of the health history, health promotion, diagnosing medical conditions, management of health problems by directing and developing the plan of care, prescribing medications or treatments, coordinating and collaborating with patients, families and other healthcare practitioners. Under the supervision of a physician, the nurse practitioner visits patients, completes physical assessments, performs face to face assessments and evaluates hospice eligibility as assigned in consultation with the hospice interdisciplinary team. The nurse practitioner builds from the resources of the community to plan and direct services to meet the need of individuals and families within their homes and communities.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
1. Provides medical care, palliates and manages terminal illness in compliance with the state Nurse Practice Act under the supervision of a collaborating physician.
2. Completes history & physical examinations, by evaluating the patient's medical condition and health history, ordering and interpreting results from laboratory and diagnostic tests or procedures, diagnosing health conditions and documents the findings in the patient's medical record.
3. Manages health conditions and terminal illnesses by developing an individualized plan of care, prescribing medications and / or treatments, obtaining consultations or making referrals and coordinating hospice care services.
4. Completes the hospice face to face visit requirements prior to the third and subsequent hospice benefit periods to assess hospice eligibility based on the hospice conditions of participation and the local coverage determinations. Provides clinical information to the hospice medical director for interpretation for eligibility for hospice recertification.
5. Makes recommendations to the hospice medical director regarding patient eligibility for certification and recertification for hospice care.
6. Reviews clinical information, coordinates and oversees patient care in consultation with the hospice interdisciplinary team and other healthcare practitioners.
7. Assures that patient receives appropriate measures to control symptoms, through collaboration with interdisciplinary team members.
8. Reviews and develops protocols for treatment and proposes options for interventions based on the literature in collaboration with the collaborating physician.
9. Consults the collaborating physician when the patient's plan of care is outside standardized practice and protocols.
1. Communicates and collaborates with the interdisciplinary group to create, review and revise the patient's plan of care.
2. Consults with the patient's attending physician, the hospice medical director and other healthcare practitioners regarding the patient's eligibility for hospice care, ongoing care needs and medical management related to the patient's terminal condition.
3. Communicates with other community health practitioners to coordinate the plan of care.
4. Attends and participates in hospice interdisciplinary group meetings.
5. Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant clinical notes, physical examination notes, assessment visit notes, medical orders, collaboration notes and other documentation in the medical record.
6. Educates/counsels patients, families, and/or caregivers as to preventative care, medical problems, psychological problems, and spiritual problems in conjunction with the interdisciplinary team to meet the total needs of patients.
7. Provides and maintains a safe environment for the patient.
8. Assists the patient and family / caregiver and other team members in providing continuity of care.
9. Works in cooperation with the family / caregiver and hospice interdisciplinary group to identify the goals of care and meet the care needs of the patient and family / caregiver.
10. Serves as a nursing resource for consultation and educations to members of the interdisciplinary team and other healthcare practitioners in the community.
11. Establishes, builds and nurtures relationships with staff and community referral sources to facilitate program growth.
1. Maintains knowledge of and compliance with current Medicare/Medicaid, state/federal rules and regulations for hospice services
2. Ensures compliance with the Medicare conditions of participation and other state regulations govern the provision of healthcare.
3. Complies with all Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements in accordance with federal, state and organizational policies.
4. Participates in organizational monitoring of the quality of medical services and quality improvement initiatives.
5. Assumes responsibility for personal growth. Develops, maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills through attendance at seminars, conferences and participation in continuing education and in-service classes.
6. Fulfills the obligation of requested and/or accepted assignments.
7. Demonstrate knowledge in communication and counseling patient/family in dealing with end-of-life issues
1. Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing.
2. Completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program which conforms with the Board’s educational standards set forth in the California Code of Regulations Section 1484 or certification by a national organization/association whose standards are equivalent to those set forth in the California Code of Regulations Section 1484 or a registered nurse who has not completed a nurse practitioner program of study which meets the Board of Registered Nursing’s educational standards as specified in the California Code of Regulations Section 1484.
3. Current nursing licensure in State and CPR certification.
4. Master's degree with a minimum of one (1) year Nurse Practitioner experience and a minimum of one (1) year hospice or palliative care experience.
5. Accreditation from an approved certifying body for advanced practice nursing as required by State.
6. Certification in a specialist area preferred; (e.g. Hospice and Palliative Nursing (CHPN), Pediatrics or Geriatrics)
7. Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skill, problem solving skills, mathematical skills; nursing skills per competency checklist.
8. Prolonged or considerable walking or standing. Able to lift, position and / or transfer patients. Able to lift supplies and equipment. Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and/or crouching. Visual acuity and hearing to perform required nursing skills.
9. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state/or organization requirements and is in good working order.
Please visit our website at www.homewithmission.com to apply, and send a copy of your resume to recruiting@ missionhh.com