Mississippi Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

You have to love what you do!
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchmen, MsNovember 8, 2016
At this job you never know what is going to happen from day to day. You have to stay alert and aware at all times. It can be very easy or extremely hard depending on how you make it. Co-workers are very supportive and you learn a lot about self and others on this job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
you life can be placed on the line
Life
Probation/Parole Agent III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 11, 2016
I can make a difference in peoples lives
Love the hours
Great Benefits
Exciting details
Protecting and serving
Home with my family
Help offenders get there lives together for the good
typical day
Internship (Former Employee) –  Clarksdale, MSNovember 23, 2016
this was a fun and relaxed environment and was very flexible in my schooling through the university of Mississippi. I would set and monitor the class that was taught as a distance learning class.
Cons
A workplace for advancement opportunities
Canteen & Accounting Clerk Sr., Corr- Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSMay 28, 2015
Good benefits and retirement opportunities. This place is not a good place to work for women with a family--you are required to work double shifts when a shortage occur. Management fails to realize how it was when he/she was a Correctional Officer.
Pros
Benefits, retirement opportunities, career advancements
Cons
dealing with incarcerated offenders, contraband, working 16 hr shifts, not for family oriented peoples
this is a safe company to work for
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSFebruary 23, 2016
a typical day at work consisted of secure custody and control of offenders. issue medication and constantly counting offenders every two hours. Observation plays a big part of the job also.
Pros
free benefits and 401 k plan
Cons
you work five days and be off two
very ethical wrk culture
Correctional officer IV /Control room operator (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSMay 13, 2015
Good management staff, job security, and benefits. I enjoyed my 7 years and 6 months as a employee. I regret that I never advance to a more executive postion.
Pros
good benefits, culture, environment and staff
Cons
n/a
Working for a correctional Facility is a stressful place to work.
Correctional (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSFebruary 18, 2014
Corrections officers oversee the conditions of inmates in jails, reformatories and prisons. As managers of a custodial environment, corrections officers must stay vigilant for potential disorder and rules violations, which they must document for supervisors. To ensure their safety, officers must also become proficient in basic investigative, patrol and search methods. Although the job is extremely stressful, officers can advance into management positions, where the custodial aspects are less relevant than superior administrative skills.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Work Overtime Without pay, and Stressful
productive work enviroment
Event Planner Researcher/ Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSApril 26, 2016
Wonderful work environment and wonderful employees. Great teamwork is displayed among the employees there. Everyone is dedicated to making sure the organization runs properly.
Fast pace workplace
Correctional Records Technician I (Current Employee) –  Parchman, MSJanuary 9, 2013
Working with the Ms Department of Corrections is hard because I know that there is no room for advancement. My co workers are nice and fun to be around which makes my time fly by. I have learned a lot and gained a lot of experience working with Microsoft Excel and creating tables with this job. The hardest part of my job is going through the court order mandate list getting offenders to enroll in the alcohol and drug program. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing im helping offenders get into the program that they must complete in order to be released.
benefits
Cons
low salary
Loved my job.
Assistant III Inmate Accounts, (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 30, 2015
I worked first as a temporary employee which developed into a full time Administrative Assistant III, I was placed in the office manager positions. I over seen the operations in mail, correspondence, records posting monies to inmate accounts, I had three employees under me. I trained new employees. This was an inspiring job. A new computer system was brought in and I already had the training of the new system from Dataplex a new company who helped fit this new program into the Department of Corrections system for inmate monies. It inspired me to a take charge person in which I helped to sit up the workers in what to do. I left because I was passed over for the position of Supervisor when Our department supervisor Paul left his position.
Pros
Good enviroment and very easy and comfortable envoriment.
Cons
Passed over for advancement to a man not qualified for the position
Productive environment for learning.
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSNovember 10, 2015
MDOC offers a stable learning environment. MDOC also offers plenty of opportunities for advancement. The work environment can leave more to be desired but I am grateful for the skills that I am learning.
workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMarch 23, 2016
fun enjoyed what I did love serving and protecting others awesome coworkers and staff tried to give 5stars want let me great opportunity
The job has good benefits, job advancement
Correctional Officers (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MississippiOctober 19, 2015
A typical day at work is supervising offenders, making sure that offenders maintain their work duties as order by the judge. I make sure that offenders act in an orderly way, performing disciplinary action when needed. Since I have been a correctional officer I have learned to be more patience, it takes a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with offenders. When it comes to dealing with co-workers you have to have patience as well. The hardest part about my job is working the hours that I work. I work from 1 am to 9 am. I had to train my body to be up that time of morning when I'm use to sleeping. The most enjoyable part about my job as a correctional officers is working with my co-workers. Some of my co-workers have become really good friends.
Pros
no break, pay
Cons
shift
management was deplorable, unsafe work enviroment, poor communication with staff and co-workrers
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Leakesville, MSDecember 3, 2014
gained most of my knowledge about safety at this facility, management was showed no concern for it's officers. worked 12 hour shifts and was sometimes prevented from leaving after the completion of a 12 hour shift. most co-workers including myself did not live near the facility and the drive to and from was as 1 1/2 hour. Not being allowed to leave at the end of a 12 hour shift 6 pm to 6 am and sometimes that shift could last another 4 hours was mentally and physically exhausting. The inmates were in a constant state of unrest and this made for very difficult days of work.
Cons
overtime paid was somtime not give, you received time in comp pay, unrealistic hours forced to work.
A safety hazardous workplace
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSJuly 26, 2013
I usually work a 40-50 hour work week and as a Correctional Officer I provide safety, security, custody, control and accountability for the offenders I’m appointed to manage. I work in the special management units known as Maximum Security and in those units I have to be vigilant for offenders who are at risk for suicide, psychological issues, assaultive behavior, disruptive behavior and death row. On a day to day basis I search offenders, by pat and or strip method, to detect and confiscate contraband or unapproved items. I conduct security checks of locks, doors, bars, windows and the living quarters of the offenders. I inventory facility keys and restraint gear. I also open and close gates or doors to restricted areas to allow vehicles / people to enter and exit.
Very fun work place, co-workers was great
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Poplarville, MSDecember 28, 2015
Job was great, just had a supervisor that would not let us go out and do our jobs. wanted certain one to stay in the office and work.
Pros
was able to work with those that needed help and wanted change
Cons
supervisor was not good
Excellent source for job security and benefits
Academic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSJuly 30, 2013
The job security is extremely high once you pass the probationary period. the benefits are comparable to many fortune 500 companies and can transfer within state service employment.
Excellent Place to Work
Administrative Assistant to Warden Leander Parker (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 15, 2013
Working on a Prison Grounds isn't for everyone, however if you do not mind the barb wire fences and the security checks on your way in and out of work every day the Mississippi Department of Corrections is a great place to work. The management gives clear detailed information about the work they would like performed and the time the project is expected to be done in.
Pros
Hour lunch break and all state and national holidays off.
Cons
10 minute wait during security checks to get off of prison grounds at the end of the work day.
safe envirnoment to work
Administrate Assistant/Correction-Inmate Locator (Current Employee) –  Parchman, MSMarch 4, 2014
A typical day will be answering phone calls from concern citizens. I learned how to be passion and take every call serious. The management needs some improvement. I enjoy working with my co-workers we play as a team. The hardest part of the job when I can not communicate with my manager in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job when I have completed my task.
Pros
employee of the month
Cons
recognize educational credits
Great place to work with enthusiastic people
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Parchman,MSDecember 22, 2012
A typical day at work for me is answering multiple calls, directing them to other phone lines. Typing, copying and faxing paperwork. I've learned how to work in a fast pace setting. The coworkers that I work with are very enthusiatic and energetic like myself. The hardest part of the job is having to work under pressure, working holidays and weekends. The most enjoyable part of my job is having to learn different jobs of corrections.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no scheduled lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mississippi Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

Mississippi Department of Corrections Reviews by Location