Mississippi Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

No Good Work Environment
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 26, 2017
I did not have a good experience working at this place. I was sexually harassed twice and became the victim twice. The upper administration did not have my best interest at heart when I shared my awful experience. Instead they punished me.
Cons
Unprofessionalism
I enjoyed working at Mississippi Department of Corrections.
Medical Claims Processor / Medical Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 5, 2017
My co-workers became like family. I got up every morning ready to come to work. I came in and started my work. My supervisor was the best ever! One of the best leaders I've had the pleasure to work for. Everyone was able to work well together. The hardest part of the job was not being permanent, I was a contractor. The most enjoyable part of the job was a peaceful environment.
working conditions was alright
Safety Director, Fire Chief (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 30, 2017
working conditions is normal for this type of working environment. normal prison condition and co workers is great, benefit is average. normal working and safety conditions is normal
Very stressful job
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman MississippiAugust 26, 2017
A very stressful and demanding job that requires you to be there and be there on time. They stay short no time off work many hours working on your days off.
Pros
Christmas party
Cons
No brakes
Challenging and exciting
Correctional Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 16, 2017
This company was very challenging and rewarding. The training is very challenging but rewarding and makes up very mature and open minded. I learned great communication skills, people skills, computer skills and interpersonal skills. The staff was great.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Dangerous work environment
The treatment of staff was not good.
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSJuly 18, 2017
My lieutenant was not a good person. She did not know how to effectively talk to the inmates or officers. She used to treat the inmates like they were property and not human beings.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
management was horrible
Productive and great to retire from
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Drew, MSJuly 9, 2017
I learned to stay focus as a Correctional Officer and maintain a steady head and pay close attention as I perform my work duties. Management overall is good not great but they will do. The hardest part of the job is reporting for work on time but not being properly relieved from duty because we are short of staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting a lot of different people from all over the world such as co workers and prisoners.
Pros
great healthcare insurance
Cons
n/a
Be Alert at all times and very careful
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSJune 22, 2017
A typical work day at this company can be very stressful. In my 3 years with MDOC I have learned many new things pertaining to security. The hardest part of the job is dealing with offenders who dont even care about themselves.
Great and loving place to work for
Correctional Officer 3 (Former Employee) –  MississippiJune 21, 2017
I loved working for this company because, i was off on weekends and had great pay. It had a great security crew with good people. I also loved the workers we worked with on other shifts.
Pros
longer breaks free lunches
Cons
Had to do overtime everyday
Professional Workplace
Service Aide I/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 20, 2017
Typical day at work consisted of answering telephones, typing memo's, counseling, and operating office equipment. Management was very helpful with operation of the facility.
productive work place
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSJune 18, 2017
I've learned that you have to meet customer expectations. Safety and Quality are the most important but safety comes first. I also learn that I go to work to do a job and be yourself at all times.
Stable place to work
Probation Parole Agent II (Current Employee) –  New Albany, MSJune 17, 2017
Good department, paid holidays, and benefits. Always doing different things. Establish good relationships with people of the community. Chain of command system.
MDOC is a great organization with a fulfilling public safety mission.
Deputy Commissioner of Administration and Finance (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 13, 2017
I am responsible for management MDOC's budget, safeguarding its assets and establishing adequate internal controls. I supervise directly or indirectly 90-100 employees. I interface with my direct reports on a daily basis and monitor the budget each day. I am very involved with the agency's legal staff concerning policy and contractual issues that arise on a daily basis. I enjoy the challenge of managing the agency resources in a manner that accomplishes our goals in the most efficient manner possible.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Limited upward mobility.
Correctional Case Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSJune 6, 2017
To work in the field of corrections is a challenge mentally but if you know how to be versatile in communicating with people it make your job much easier. It can be rewarding if you can help someone with whatever situation is presented at the time.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Healthcare
Mdoc
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSMay 22, 2017
Its a prison of course. It's a great job but the pay need an increase. For the function a that you have to perform there.. And the safety of officer need help bad...
A place where you must have patience and awareness.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSMay 16, 2017
To work at this place, you will have to have patience and good understanding. You may have to deal with 200 minds on a daily basis. It is a better atmosphere when you have staff that can assist you.
Pros
Working together with staff
Cons
Dealing with an array of minds.
Depends on you
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Fayette, MSMay 13, 2017
For me I worked at a Work Camp in which the inmates went out to work every morning to get time removed from their sentence. A count is made each morning before shift change, when they leave with their supervisors for work, when they return and a main count from head branch every night. We housed about 105 inmates.
This was a stressful job majority of times.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSApril 25, 2017
This job was only to make money to survive. The work environment was stressful. The inmates just did things for attention to try to get special treatment. Always a con game and you have to be strict and conscience of your surroundings at all times.
Pros
Great benefits and the day goes by fast.
Cons
The inmates just bother you mostly to irritate your work day.
Well organized, professional place that is still growing its "rehab" capacity.
Branch Director of Treatment Programs (Former Employee) –  Leakesville, MSApril 22, 2017
Clean, orderly and well-maintained institution. Social workers and counselors were more "tolerated" than suppported in what was a still dominant "punishment" mentality (1990s). The pay--though secure--was very low for social workers/counselors compared to the wider market. Not a bad place for recent graduates to get a start or a steady job if you live in the area. The staff are interactive and friendly people to work with and they generally look out for one-another's safety. I learned a lot about the criminal mind having been given ample opportunity to counsel individuals and groups. The inmates work hard to keep a good record, so it is not as "scarey" a place to work as some might think who haven't worked in prisons before.
Pros
Friendly employees, plenty of office space, job security
Cons
Low pay, conflicted beliefs about what corrective methods are best.
ok place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSApril 5, 2017
it was hard working at the Institute for the very reason that it was a Prison for all males.. It was a very stressfrul position to be in as a female. but the pay was okay and benifets were good.