Mississippi Department of Corrections

Mississippi Department of Corrections Employer Reviews

Management were very poor.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Woodville, MSJanuary 15, 2015
It hard to work on a job were there is peoples who is supports to be your supervisor and don't have supervisor skills.
management was deplorable, unsafe work enviroment, poor communication with staff and co-workrers
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Leakesville, MSDecember 3, 2014
Cons: overtime paid was somtime not give, you received time in comp pay, unrealistic hours forced to work.
gained most of my knowledge about safety at this facility, management was showed no concern for it's officers. worked 12 hour shifts and was sometimes prevented from leaving after the completion of a 12 hour shift. most co-workers including myself did not live near the facility and the drive to and from was as 1 1/2 hour. Not being allowed to leave at the end of a 12 hour shift 6 pm to 6 am and sometimes that shift could last another 4 hours was mentally and physically exhausting. The inmates were in a constant state of unrest and this made for very difficult days of work.
pproductive, nut dangerous
Correctional officer Trainee (Former Employee), Parchman, MSNovember 13, 2014
Pros: 4 weeks on the job training, and comp time
Cons: no breaks, twelve months work requirement.
Great for advancing in rank. 4 weeks training to prepare you for the 4 weeks of on the job training before you're on your own.
Accountant / Auditor I (Former Employee), Jackson, MSSeptember 15, 2014
Great place to work with benefits. Working hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Parchman, MsAugust 25, 2014
It was a new experience for me and I learned a lot from my co-worker, they were good people. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the prisoners and what I enjoyed was shaking down searching, and escorting.
justice
Telephone Analyst (Former Employee), Pearl, MSJuly 14, 2014
a place where justice is served and where treatment and help can be given for those in need.
Correctional Officer IV (SGT) (Former Employee), Parchman, MSJune 16, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: team work
Worked with a great group of people. Work hard every day and supervised other personal occasionally.
scary and dangerous place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Pearl, MSJune 11, 2014
Pros: disruptive inmates, fighting
Cons: worked overnight off in day
help inmates to eat everyday, watch them in outdoors and indoors activities. Take to hospital if sick etc
Productive and fun
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Leakesville, MSMay 7, 2014
days were quite busy on the job, interesting but busy. I learned not to let an inmate con me out of anything. Co-workers were dependable and always worked as a team. The hardest part of this job was watching people you either went to school with or grew up with come to prison. The most enjoyable part of this job was watching inmates go home.
Lockdown base
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Parchman, MSMarch 7, 2014
Pros: safety was a sured
Cons: smalled bottel of oc spray
On grounds every rule is followed to keep inmates from escaping from prison. The point of counting is to make sure each and every inmate is acounted for at all times. When pat down searches are made its to reasure that no inamte has anything that can cause harm to there self or others.The rules that officers went by was very indeed needed for the safety of our self and inmates.
safe envirnoment to work
Administrate Assistant/Correction-Inmate Locator (Current Employee), Parchman, MSMarch 4, 2014
Pros: employee of the month
Cons: recognize educational credits
A typical day will be answering phone calls from concern citizens. I learned how to be passion and take every call serious. The management needs some improvement. I enjoy working with my co-workers we play as a team. The hardest part of the job when I can not communicate with my manager in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job when I have completed my task.
Working for a correctional Facility is a stressful place to work.
Correctional (Current Employee), Pearl, MSFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: work overtime without pay, and stressful
Corrections officers oversee the conditions of inmates in jails, reformatories and prisons. As managers of a custodial environment, corrections officers must stay vigilant for potential disorder and rules violations, which they must document for supervisors. To ensure their safety, officers must also become proficient in basic investigative, patrol and search methods. Although the job is extremely stressful, officers can advance into management positions, where the custodial aspects are less relevant than superior administrative skills.
I
Correction Records Technician (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 15, 2014
A typical work day consist of time management, working smart and being a good worker.
great place to work.
Administrative asst (Current Employee), JacksonDecember 19, 2013
no complaints about this company, everyone pulls their own weight.
Great place to work and learn about the Justice system
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Parchman, MSDecember 3, 2013
Pros: working for the state
Cons: life in danger every day
Monitor and count state inmate,enforce state laws and maintian a safe enviroment
I learn not to judge
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Leakesville, MSAugust 29, 2013
Not all people are bad, sometimes we just do bad things. Everyone deserve a chance to change.
This is place that housed violent and non violet offenders
Correctional Service Aide II (Former Employee), Pearl, MSAugust 3, 2013
I was a office manger for the A&D dept. I organized files and reported to the director daily. I did basic clerical duties each day. I really enjoyed worked for this company.
Excellent source for job security and benefits
Academic Instructor (Current Employee), Pearl, MSJuly 30, 2013
The job security is extremely high once you pass the probationary period. the benefits are comparable to many fortune 500 companies and can transfer within state service employment.
A safety hazardous workplace
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee), Pearl, MSJuly 26, 2013
I usually work a 40-50 hour work week and as a Correctional Officer I provide safety, security, custody, control and accountability for the offenders I’m appointed to manage. I work in the special management units known as Maximum Security and in those units I have to be vigilant for offenders who are at risk for suicide, psychological issues, assaultive behavior, disruptive behavior and death row. On a day to day basis I search offenders, by pat and or strip method, to detect and confiscate contraband or unapproved items. I conduct security checks of locks, doors, bars, windows and the living quarters of the offenders. I inventory facility keys and restraint gear. I also open and close gates or doors to restricted areas to allow vehicles / people to enter and exit.
very quiet work place
Parole Officer Clerk (Former Employee), Jackson, MSJuly 22, 2013
the job was smooth, nobody had any let down time and everyone worked together to make sure the job was done right and neatly...

Mississippi Department of Corrections Salaries