Mississippi State Hospital Employee Reviews

Under Paid
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSApril 13, 2017
The pay sucks and you have to work under staffed all the time. The staff is great the pay is horrible. You can go to any other hospital and get paid way more than they are offering.
Pros
Meet great people.
Cons
over work with little pay
Overall it's and ok job nothing more nothing less
MHT (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSApril 5, 2017
The job is and ok job I would refer people here if this is the kind of field they want to work in if not I wouldn't refer them here.. Night shift is the best because you really don't have much to do. Set up for their showers check on them throughout the night and get them up in the morning
Pros
Patience
Cons
Patient attitudes
Growing
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMarch 26, 2017
Mcdonald"s taught me so many values in life I didn't know. I learned how to get alone with anothers and work together with them as well. We did things as a team to over achieve our goals. If one fell short someone else was there to help them get the job done
Pros
Crew was easy to get alone with.
Cons
staff was short at the time of me working
I loved it!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSFebruary 11, 2017
I worked in Building 63--Female Receiving.
I worked with patients of all kind... Alzheimer's, Dementia, Schizophrenic, Bipolar, and Narcotic. I was able to provide rehab and counseling through group and 15-documentation.It gave me a chance to learn more about mental health.
Pros
Gain an experience in mental health instution.
Cons
I miss my co-workers and patients
Psychiatric Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJanuary 31, 2017
It was a great place to work....I learned a lot from this job. Mainly that mental illness is a illness and not what someone decides that they will have.
Pros
good retirement, great staff
Cons
Possible injuries.
Low wages and short staffed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitfield, MSJanuary 29, 2017
The Mississippi State Hospital is a nice place to work but for the kind of behaviors and everyday situations we deal with, they are not paying us enough. Also, they are extremely short staffed.
Pros
The pros of working there are the benefits .
Cons
The cons are that you'd have to do at least 4 days of overtime to receive a decent check amount .
Great place to work and the staff very close in tune with the job at hand
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSJanuary 11, 2017
Job seem to be lacking the overall foundation with very little pay and advancement .You move from building if needed so you never knew where you was going to be at anytime.
Pros
Many hour of work no overtime
Cons
Pay was very low
great experience
MDS Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 3, 2017
good experience. only left due to location change. fun friendly helpful co workers. administration for great. the orientation was not rushed. i felt well trained after going to the floor.
nonproductive. retirement job.
Psychiatric Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  MississippiDecember 20, 2016
management not very supportive of staff. does not promote career
advancement with pay.i.e. you work as a charge nurse, but ..will not be financially compensated.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 13, 2016
I worked there for a long length of time until the death of my dear mother it was really a challenging job, but rewarding. I did advance to a supervisor.
Pros
Paid vacation time
Cons
was only allowed to take a certain amount of time off per year.
unorganized and poorly operated
MHT (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSNovember 16, 2016
A typical night of work would consist of showing up on time and then reporting to a mandatory shift report, where you would learn which patients you would be responsible for caring for on that particular night. Then you would report immediately to your patient and relieve the previous shift. Throughout the night you check your patients chest to make sure it rises and falls every 15 mins. in the morning when the patient wakes up you give them a bath, wash their hair and shave them(if its a male patient). Assist them in getting dressed and escort them to the breakfast hall.
How was it working at Mississippi State Hospital
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSNovember 2, 2016
Working at MSH was not at all what I expected being that I was new to the field. I had to work very hard for only a little pay, and the administration was awful. Moving forward in life I don't think I would ever refer anyone to work there.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Great starting job
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSOctober 19, 2016
The facility is NOT well kept but you will grow accustomed to your residents. The good benefits do not equate to equal compensation! ALWAYS short of staff! The supervisors and timekeepers are sometimes the worst and other times the best. You can accrue overtime as much as you want and your heart allows. The hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting if you are working alone. Pick the shift you desire to begin with because sometimes it can be hard to change to another shift. If you don't want Bshift forever, do not sign up for it when applying. If you do, that is likely where you spend eternity.
Pros
unlimited overtime
Cons
short staffed, terrible conditions sometimes
Children
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSOctober 6, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company because It brought out a lot of love from me. I was happy that I was able to change a child's life and help that child achieve the goals that they may have wanted to achieve.
Patients
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 27, 2016
Working at Mississippi State hospital is very challenging because their are many different types of people you have to work with. You have old and young and some who are sick and some who are not.
overall good place to work
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSSeptember 12, 2016
Really enjoyed my co workers. Good as far as the benefits not so much the pay. It was a real laid back job. Hated to leave. Management was also pretty good.
Great experience
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSAugust 29, 2016
This company gave me a pre-experience to the real world. I've enjoyed working for this company but I wish it was more in my field related job activity.
productive
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitfield, PAAugust 24, 2016
A typical day at work is assisting patients with daily living tasks, taking vital signs and charting on patients behavior and improvement throughout the day.
Pros
Assisting Patients
Cons
low pay
Msh/jnh
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitfield, MSAugust 17, 2016
MSH is a great place to work. Great coworkers, great staff and a great place to grow.
Hardest part of the job is getting close to the residents or patients. They become family. When the pass or discharge it hurts as if they were truly a part of your family.
The most enjoyable part of MSH is the people who work here. A friendly staff who goes above and beyond.
a step back in time
Chemical Dependency Unit, Evening Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitfield, MSAugust 17, 2016
slower paced, paper-charting/MAR and paper everything, no air conditioning on many buildings/units, old buildings, most buildings have a printer/fax and accudose, most buildings do not have a computer, management not easily accessible, human resources not easily accessible, most encounters must be performed in person while at work or in person on an off day, very poor leadership and management, great learning environment, very few RNS, high nurse/patient ratio, lots of techs/LPNS
Pros
slower paced
Cons
high nurse-patient ratio

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mississippi State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Mississippi State Hospital Reviews by Location