Mississippi State University Employee Reviews in United States

I hope no one gets this job after I leave...
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 24, 2016
The department I work for at MSU is horrid. Unprofessional and demeaning faculty. My supervisor specifically does not know the first thing about supervision. Everyone on campus knows that my supervisor is hard to work with, and before me not many assistants lasted long. The supervisor blames me for mistakes that I made while I was pregnant with horrible morning (all day) sickness, and also blames me for mistakes made when she told me to stay home around the holidays. Belittles me often with emails copied to several other people not only in my department, but other departments on campus.
Pros
Great benefits, leave rules, and several ways to get involved on campus.
Cons
Health Insurance for family is expensive. Uses the "buddy" system when choosing employees, which means they hire people they know.
Slow paced environment, Always changing, Fun for those who like to learn
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 11, 2016
Overall a good experience, full of learning and new concepts. However, will work over 40 hours a week, and will be salary.
Pros
Good environment, pleasant people, great ideas
Cons
Administration
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
This temporary job was exciting and afforded me many opportunities for extending my education.
Intermittent Interfviewer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 22, 2015
This was an energetic and rewarding job that allowed me to interact with many different people. The atmosphere was fun and entertaining. The people I worked with were all very talented people who did their best to make me feel comfortable in my role as an interviewer. I was able to learn a wealth of people skills from these employees.
Pros
Getting to interact with all sorts of different people, going to travel to places I wouldn't have normally and working with a wonderful group of people.
Cons
This was just a temporary job that had no benefits, I wasn't able to be creative with the interviews.
Respect for Student Work-life Balance
Student Researcher/Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMay 10, 2016
The faculty I worked under at Mississippi State had a strong respect for the needs of their workers not only as employees, but as students, and were willing to give a wide margin of space whenever school began to conflict with work. They're the best possible employers for a student in Starkville.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Few food options in the summer
It is based in small town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Overall this place is easy going. You can have good work and life balance. It is not a very competitive place. The university main focus is on football because that where money is. But the main essence of an educational institute is education. It seems many institute including MSState these days are more focused on being politically correct rather that quality of education.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Exciting and interesting environment without a dull moment
Information Technology Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 27, 2016
This job allows for different chance to connect to professionals throughout the workforce. There is always something new to see or learn making it a great learning opportunity as well as enjoyable environment.
Great place to work.
Head-Teacher-Human Sciences-Child Development (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 24, 2014
Manage classroom setting. Plan and implement lesson plans, ensure that all lesson plans are developmentally appropriate for each child. Keep daily logs for parents to review at the end of the child’s day. Keep portfolio’s consisting of the children’s progress and assessments as well as copies of the children work. Attend parent/teacher conferences, school events and employee trainings. Work under ECERS/ITERS quality rating system. Interact with children, parents, and staff. This position was located on a college campus and therefore was given the opportunity to teach college lab students the hands-on experience of what was taught in lecture.
Pros
great benefits and great people to work with.
Cons
no room for raises.
I love working for Mississippi State University but I hate the long travel distance and the pay rate. My coworkers are so sweet and helpful
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be me coming in at 8:00 a.m. and signing on my computer. Once I have signed in I do my time sheet, log in to MYCIDs and then open my file (county). I input data by looking up the youths UCID (number assigned) such as name, whether the case is open/closed, the date it was closed if it is closed and I put in the results to their drug test if there is one, as well as their counselor(s). I do that all day between breaks. At the end of the day I fill in my time sheet and log off my computer and go home.

What I have learned is how to maneuver in MYCIDs in order to input the data in to an Excel document and how to find files at the actual sites outside of MYCIDS.

Management is great. Anything that I need to do my job or make my job easier, my boss makes sure that it is taken care of right away.

My coworkers have such positive, uplifting spirits. They are really a joy to work with. They are also very thoughtful, for birthdays and holidays.

The hardest part of the job is looking at a screen all day but I love what I do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having lunch with my coworkers.
Pros
One hour lunch, friendly coworkers and works with schedule.
Cons
Temporary job and not enough pay
Love My Job
Contracts & Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 23, 2016
I love my job and the people I work with. I have been here a little over a year and working here has been an excellent choice. I wish I have stated here 15 years ago.
Pros
Great work enviornment.
Cons
Pay
Fun Workplace
Campus Landscape (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 1, 2016
Going to my station , driving company vehicle, mowing lawns. The hardest part of the job is the heat. Overall great experiences from learning to use zero turn mower, tractor, tend lawns , and green house.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Mississippi State University. The work culture is really good and collaborative. I learned a lot of new techniques and skills while working here. Overall it is a good place for research work.
Good environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 24, 2016
Flexible hours, very good with working with school hours. Good work environment overall. Good place to work while in school.
Excellent place to start your education
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 10, 2015
Attended MSU as a grad student, enjoyed interacting with colleagues and students. Allowed me to gain experience and student teach.
Pros
Professional environment with lots of support
Cons
Salary
Great work environment
Marketing Professor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 5, 2016
Last position at MSU was Associate Dean in College of Business. Most days consisted of managing student issues and dealing with co-workers on various projects and day-to-day activities.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Some days were hectic.
Relaxed Atmosphere
Copy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working for MSU. The atmosphere is very easy-going. As with any job, you do have your stressful moments.During a typical day I will receive requests from departments to have certain things printed.
Great way to learn about lab protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2016
Worked in a group, learning experience, good part-time job while being a full time student. This job was not too time consuming.
A wonderful and diverse place of employment. I had the opportunity to interact with many types of people and nationalities.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 21, 2012
I learned many things during my tenure at Mississippi State University. I learned the system of operating and running an academic office, how to help students exceed in their academics by assisting in class scheduling, assist faculty and staff in academic testing and evaluations, ordering and stocking supplies for an academic department. I was the 'face' of both the Psychology and Chemistry departments at MSU, I routed all phone calls, appointments, vendors, ect to their desired destinations.. I was a liason between faculty/staff/department head and student parents. I truly enjoyed the experience of working at MSU.
Pros
wonderful benefits, access to many athletic events, tuition discounts, extended holidays
Msu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 14, 2012
Overall as an entry level/ student level position I felt working for MSU was a great experience. The supervisors attempted to be understanding with the work/life balance, and also were open to ideas and trying new things. Also, if one wanted some specific experience, they tried to make it happen and give as many opportunities as possible. Still, as a lower level position, there were no other compensation or benefits, and no chance for advancement. Still, for an entry level job to gain experience, a good one.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 7, 2012
I worked as a student worker in two department of Mississippi State University. I worked in the Global Leadership Continuum, where I assissted in three leadership programs. I was responsible for inventory and helping organize leadership luncheons and benefits. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. I also worked in the Higher Education Institution, where I was responsible for contacting all the principals and superintendants in the MS school districts. I sent information about colleges to each school distirct and individual school. I enjoyed working with the team in that department.

4.4