Mississippi State University

Mississippi State University Employer Reviews

Productive job with more pros than cons.
Residence Hall Information Assistant (Current Employee), Starkville, MSMarch 28, 2014
Pros: technology, food, can do homework, etc. are allowed at the desk.
Cons: graveyard shifts, 24 hours a wk max, no summer employment
Overall, this job is very diverse as it includes people from many different culture populations. This job is great for me because it helps so much with daily life expenses.

A typical day at work is usually pretty dull; it all depends on which shift I'm working and which building I'm working the shift. It's always the same with packages, visitor check-ins, – more... lock-outs, monitoring the lobby, etc.

What I learned at work is how to create a balance in time from school, working hours to afford the cost of living off-campus, and how to create time to be involved in my organizations.

The management has always been great. I've never really had a problem because I fulfill my job duties and I'm always punctual with attendance and times of shifts.

My co-workers and I pretty much have a good relationship. A lot of us doesn't know one another personally, but we still communicate well and we all get along well with one another.

The hardest part of my job is working the graveyard shifts and having to attend classes. It has been pretty rough over the years, but I have no complaints because my grades are still great in spite of. Another thing that was hard for me is, not being able to work this job during the summer because I love working when I can. Lastly, as much as I like to work, we only are allowed to work 24 hours maximum as a college student because our supervisor doesn't want this job to interfere with school. It's hard to do so when so many people send out emails giving away shifts.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility, communication, and accessibility to do school-related work (i.e.,studying, homework, projects, etc.). It's flexible because I can tailor my hours to fit my busy schedule. Communication is a plus due to access via email and GroupMe to help exchange or giveaway of unwanted and/or needed hours to other IA's. The access of being able to do school-related work helps me so much because I often times have a lot to juggle and being able to "kill two birds with one stone," has been a major plus throughout my schooling here @ MSU.

Lastly, I love having access to my computer at work because it helps with things as this. :) – less
Amazing experience. Fun atmosphere and environment.
Information Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State UniverisityMarch 12, 2014
Pros: easy, very littly standing.
Cons: no breaks
- Assisted residents/students/visitors with information about housing and the University. Led and held numerous fund raisors and events.

- Learned how to be patient, also learned how to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.

- Management is great and very professional.
HVAC company
Research Interviewer/Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMarch 5, 2014
Good pay with bonus, sort of seedy location but excellent service techs.
Good platform with lots of opportunities
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSFebruary 4, 2014
• Very good people to work with
• Rewarding tasks
• Learned a great deal on thermal analysis, Solidworks, ANSYS FLUENT, ANSYS Structural
Fun and very good experience
Camp counselor (Former Employee), mississippi state, msDecember 17, 2013
It was fun and I learned a great deal. I got to be around children and help them with stuff dealing with wildlife and outdoor sports like fly fishing. It helped me as well. We were outside for the most part. My co-workers were great. I enjoyed the activities. It was just a bit of a struggle getting up so early after having a long previous day.
Great Place
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSNovember 22, 2013
My time working for my alma mater was great. Mississippi State University is a great place to work and attend school. I would recommend it to anyone.
great place to attend college
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSOctober 9, 2013
the position I held here shaped and molded me into a young professional.

job was demanding yet well worth the overtime put in

I learned how to manage and work with athletic administrators, coaches, and athletes.
Overall satisfying job otherwise nothing
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSSeptember 13, 2013
The typical day at work began early and usually ended late. There were many files made and many errands ran (on foot in the scorching heat). Nothing was ever good enough for the help that was given. Helping the incoming students was a no no or even talking to them friendly. Not a very long break and also no time for a personal life. Management was very – more... horrible and I normally had no co-workers. Management had a pick and choose complex and if you weren't like by your attitude; you were stuck with another set of work. The hardest part of the job was keeping my personality bland and as conformed and the most enjoyable part of the job was the students. The students kept it lively and fun. – less
Fun staff to work with, and they are always there to help
Financial Aid Work Study (Former Employee), Starkville, MSSeptember 5, 2013
I really enjoyed working my work study job. I met a lot of great friends.
Affordable University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 24, 2013
High volume of research in a isolated place. has cheap tuition.
It is productive and fun place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSAugust 12, 2013
It is a nice place to work and enjoy the life. I like the environment and people there
Loved my time here
Computational Chemistry Researcher (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 7, 2013
While at Mississippi State University, I met individuals that will be friends for a lifetime. The campus is just as beautiful as the individuals at the university.
Student Librarian
Reference Student Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 4, 2013
I typical day at work consisted of shelving books, answering the phones, assisting students in finding informations from book to articles to journals. I learned a lot about the patience needed to find what you are looking for. My co workers were fellow students who were just as hard working. The hardest part about working there seemed to be nothing. – more... Not that it was challenging but nothing seemed to hard. I loved everything about that job. – less
Great company to work for
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 1, 2013
Pros: flexible, laid back, great experience
Cons: the pay is competitive but you wont get rich
I was equipped and ready for industry after my training at MSU
My professors were very knowledgeable and helpful
recommended to anyone interested
Great Job
Police Officer (Current Employee), Mississippi State, Ms.July 23, 2013
Working with students from all over the United States and different parts of the world. It is a great job.
nice place to study
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSJuly 18, 2013
I really had to work hard to get done my phD.
Nice people. Nice place to get to know people from different background.
Simple work for students
ITS Student Worker (Former Employee), Starkville, MSJuly 15, 2013
Great place to work when you are a student, work around class schedules, holidays off, nice people.
Multi-cultural environment where most people feel at home!
Graduate Teaching/ Research Assistant (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSJuly 8, 2013
A normal day at the Fitzkee lab starts with checking emails, there is at least one email sent the previous night about;lab work, current interesting publication and a few others. This is followed by experiments on research and teaching duties for a graduate teaching assistant. The day usually ends with a review on the what has been achieved in that – more... particular day and possible write up of results so that it becomes easy when preparing for monthly research presentation.
Doing things on time has become part of my life since my adviser is always looking for results,this has thought me not to wait for things to happen since I will not have any right to hope, so procrastination is no more a part of my life. I have come to realize that it doesn't matter who you work with, but its all about team work , being the only black girl in my lab doesn't really make a difference, I'm able to co-work with my lab mates and others from different labs to as well.
The hardest part of lab work is when the expected results are not obtained even when different approaches are used, the only solution to this is the passion for what I do, I always tell my self that "if it was easy I wouldn't be paid to do research from which I will earn my own degree" so it's worth the struggle!
When it comes to teaching it all about getting your student to accept what say like the "Gospel" , this is built from hard work and getting ready to answer their questions as much as you can which doesn't come easily.
The interesting part of my lab and teaching experience is when you get a publishable data from your experiments and with the teaching is the feedback from semester teaching evaluation, where my students make me feel I am the best TA ever! – less
Loved job, not environment
Police Officer (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSApril 21, 2013
Pros: purpose
Cons: politics
I greatly enjoyed the mission and purpose of my job to protect and serve the university community. However, the political environment was not for me. I have a desire to do my job the way it's supposed to be done without regard for anybody's political or "important" position.
Foundation step in my scientifc and professional life
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSMarch 15, 2013
Pros: excellent facilities and research work experience
Cons: located in small city
Mississippi State University is really good school to learn variety of subjects and research areas. A typical day at MSU, includes attaining classes and work on your thesis research project. I got opportunity to learn many new principles and techniques related to Molecular Biology field. Thesis project provided me a nice platform to work with professional – more... and research ethics. I learned many things which built my professional life such as team work with co-workers, independent research, communication skills and problem solving. The hardest part of job was to conduct laboratory research simultaneously with writing thesis and articles, but with my adviser's guidance helped me to adapt to the situation. The most enjoyable part of job was to get expected results in the every single step of the research and to solve problems associated with them. – less

1 2 3