Mississippi State University Employee Reviews in United States

Grads: Funding is always available in some departments
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJuly 13, 2016
Advisers really do their best in making any research goals you set for yourself as reachable as possible. Some advisers really focus on getting your name out there through publications which after graduation is actually the most important thing to helping you get hired.
Good environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 24, 2016
Flexible hours, very good with working with school hours. Good work environment overall. Good place to work while in school.
Love My Job
Contracts & Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 23, 2016
I love my job and the people I work with. I have been here a little over a year and working here has been an excellent choice. I wish I have stated here 15 years ago.
Pros
Great work enviornment.
Cons
Pay
Fun Workplace
Campus Landscape (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 1, 2016
Going to my station , driving company vehicle, mowing lawns. The hardest part of the job is the heat. Overall great experiences from learning to use zero turn mower, tractor, tend lawns , and green house.
Respect for Student Work-life Balance
Student Researcher/Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMay 10, 2016
The faculty I worked under at Mississippi State had a strong respect for the needs of their workers not only as employees, but as students, and were willing to give a wide margin of space whenever school began to conflict with work. They're the best possible employers for a student in Starkville.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Few food options in the summer
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Mississippi State University. The work culture is really good and collaborative. I learned a lot of new techniques and skills while working here. Overall it is a good place for research work.
Exciting and interesting environment without a dull moment
Information Technology Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 27, 2016
This job allows for different chance to connect to professionals throughout the workforce. There is always something new to see or learn making it a great learning opportunity as well as enjoyable environment.
Great way to learn about lab protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2016
Worked in a group, learning experience, good part-time job while being a full time student. This job was not too time consuming.
Great work environment
Marketing Professor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 5, 2016
Last position at MSU was Associate Dean in College of Business. Most days consisted of managing student issues and dealing with co-workers on various projects and day-to-day activities.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Some days were hectic.
I hope no one gets this job after I leave...
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 24, 2016
The department I work for at MSU is horrid. Unprofessional and demeaning faculty. My supervisor specifically does not know the first thing about supervision. Everyone on campus knows that my supervisor is hard to work with, and before me not many assistants lasted long. The supervisor blames me for mistakes that I made while I was pregnant with horrible morning (all day) sickness, and also blames me for mistakes made when she told me to stay home around the holidays. Belittles me often with emails copied to several other people not only in my department, but other departments on campus.
Pros
Great benefits, leave rules, and several ways to get involved on campus.
Cons
Health Insurance for family is expensive. Uses the "buddy" system when choosing employees, which means they hire people they know.
Slow paced environment, Always changing, Fun for those who like to learn
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 11, 2016
Overall a good experience, full of learning and new concepts. However, will work over 40 hours a week, and will be salary.
Pros
Good environment, pleasant people, great ideas
Cons
Administration
Relaxed Atmosphere
Copy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working for MSU. The atmosphere is very easy-going. As with any job, you do have your stressful moments.During a typical day I will receive requests from departments to have certain things printed.
It is based in small town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Overall this place is easy going. You can have good work and life balance. It is not a very competitive place. The university main focus is on football because that where money is. But the main essence of an educational institute is education. It seems many institute including MSState these days are more focused on being politically correct rather that quality of education.
Pros
Easy
Cons
I love working for Mississippi State University but I hate the long travel distance and the pay rate. My coworkers are so sweet and helpful
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be me coming in at 8:00 a.m. and signing on my computer. Once I have signed in I do my time sheet, log in to MYCIDs and then open my file (county). I input data by looking up the youths UCID (number assigned) such as name, whether the case is open/closed, the date it was closed if it is closed and I put in the results to their drug test if there is one, as well as their counselor(s). I do that all day between breaks. At the end of the day I fill in my time sheet and log off my computer and go home.

What I have learned is how to maneuver in MYCIDs in order to input the data in to an Excel document and how to find files at the actual sites outside of MYCIDS.

Management is great. Anything that I need to do my job or make my job easier, my boss makes sure that it is taken care of right away.

My coworkers have such positive, uplifting spirits. They are really a joy to work with. They are also very thoughtful, for birthdays and holidays.

The hardest part of the job is looking at a screen all day but I love what I do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having lunch with my coworkers.
Pros
One hour lunch, friendly coworkers and works with schedule.
Cons
Temporary job and not enough pay
Co-operative, friendly scientist
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 3, 2015
Professors are very informed and intellectual and one can learn a lot.The pay is nice and management personnel very supportive. The job is flexible and one can run errands in between and can make up for the job when time.
Work
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 30, 2015
I didn't get paid for the job. This was just a good way to gain some experience teaching other students technology. Taught software and hardware related material to undergrad students.
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
Great school and employer
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 21, 2015
I received two degrees from MSU and work here for 5 years. They have a supportive staff that encourages learning. The hours are flexible and opportunities for learning are vast.
IT was different but gave me new work skills.
Assist in organizing social events for staff (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 21, 2015
It was a fun place to work because I was not only an office worker, but the place I worked was in food science. So I got the chance to taste new foods and also learn more about nutrition. With my job I gained new work skills such as filing, spread sheet knowledge, and transferring calls.
Pros
The staff and experience
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 1, 2015
I was a research assistant. A typical day would consist of reviewing and discussing article that were relevant to the experiments that we were going to conduct later in the semester. The management was really relaxed but hardworking. My co-workers were very intelligent and hardworking. There really wasn't a hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part was conducting the experiments and having control of the lab during my lab hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mississippi State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4