Mississippi State University Employee Reviews

Productive job with more pros than cons.
Residence Hall Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 28, 2014
Overall, this job is very diverse as it includes people from many different culture populations. This job is great for me because it helps so much with daily life expenses.

A typical day at work is usually pretty dull; it all depends on which shift I'm working and which building I'm working the shift. It's always the same with packages, visitor check-ins, lock-outs, monitoring the lobby, etc.

What I learned at work is how to create a balance in time from school, working hours to afford the cost of living off-campus, and how to create time to be involved in my organizations.

The management has always been great. I've never really had a problem because I fulfill my job duties and I'm always punctual with attendance and times of shifts.

My co-workers and I pretty much have a good relationship. A lot of us doesn't know one another personally, but we still communicate well and we all get along well with one another.

The hardest part of my job is working the graveyard shifts and having to attend classes. It has been pretty rough over the years, but I have no complaints because my grades are still great in spite of. Another thing that was hard for me is, not being able to work this job during the summer because I love working when I can. Lastly, as much as I like to work, we only are allowed to work 24 hours maximum as a college student because our supervisor doesn't want this job to interfere with school. It's hard to do so when so many people send out emails giving away shifts.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility, communication, and accessibility to do school-related
  more... work (i.e.,studying, homework, projects, etc.). It's flexible because I can tailor my hours to fit my busy schedule. Communication is a plus due to access via email and GroupMe to help exchange or giveaway of unwanted and/or needed hours to other IA's. The access of being able to do school-related work helps me so much because I often times have a lot to juggle and being able to "kill two birds with one stone," has been a major plus throughout my schooling here @ MSU.

Lastly, I love having access to my computer at work because it helps with things as this. :)
Pros
technology, food, can do homework, etc. are allowed at the desk.
Cons
graveyard shifts, 24 hours a wk max, no summer employment
Multi-cultural environment where most people feel at home!
Graduate Teaching/ Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJuly 8, 2013
A normal day at the Fitzkee lab starts with checking emails, there is at least one email sent the previous night about;lab work, current interesting publication and a few others. This is followed by experiments on research and teaching duties for a graduate teaching assistant. The day usually ends with a review on the what has been achieved in that particular day and possible write up of results so that it becomes easy when preparing for monthly research presentation.
Doing things on time has become part of my life since my adviser is always looking for results,this has thought me not to wait for things to happen since I will not have any right to hope, so procrastination is no more a part of my life. I have come to realize that it doesn't matter who you work with, but its all about team work , being the only black girl in my lab doesn't really make a difference, I'm able to co-work with my lab mates and others from different labs to as well.
The hardest part of lab work is when the expected results are not obtained even when different approaches are used, the only solution to this is the passion for what I do, I always tell my self that "if it was easy I wouldn't be paid to do research from which I will earn my own degree" so it's worth the struggle!
When it comes to teaching it all about getting your student to accept what say like the "Gospel" , this is built from hard work and getting ready to answer their questions as much as you can which doesn't come easily.
The interesting part of my lab and teaching experience is when you get a publishable data from your experiments
  more... and with the teaching is the feedback from semester teaching evaluation, where my students make me feel I am the best TA ever!  less
I love working for Mississippi State University but I hate the long travel distance and the pay rate. My coworkers are so sweet and helpful
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be me coming in at 8:00 a.m. and signing on my computer. Once I have signed in I do my time sheet, log in to MYCIDs and then open my file (county). I input data by looking up the youths UCID (number assigned) such as name, whether the case is open/closed, the date it was closed if it is closed and I put in the results to their drug test if there is one, as well as their counselor(s). I do that all day between breaks. At the end of the day I fill in my time sheet and log off my computer and go home.

What I have learned is how to maneuver in MYCIDs in order to input the data in to an Excel document and how to find files at the actual sites outside of MYCIDS.

Management is great. Anything that I need to do my job or make my job easier, my boss makes sure that it is taken care of right away.

My coworkers have such positive, uplifting spirits. They are really a joy to work with. They are also very thoughtful, for birthdays and holidays.

The hardest part of the job is looking at a screen all day but I love what I do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having lunch with my coworkers.
Pros
One hour lunch, friendly coworkers and works with schedule.
Cons
Temporary job and not enough pay
Foundation step in my scientifc and professional life
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMarch 15, 2013
Mississippi State University is really good school to learn variety of subjects and research areas. A typical day at MSU, includes attaining classes and work on your thesis research project. I got opportunity to learn many new principles and techniques related to Molecular Biology field. Thesis project provided me a nice platform to work with professional and research ethics. I learned many things which built my professional life such as team work with co-workers, independent research, communication skills and problem solving. The hardest part of job was to conduct laboratory research simultaneously with writing thesis and articles, but with my adviser's guidance helped me to adapt to the situation. The most enjoyable part of job was to get expected results in the every single step of the research and to solve problems associated with them.
Pros
excellent facilities and research work experience
Cons
located in small city
Overall satisfying job otherwise nothing
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 13, 2013
The typical day at work began early and usually ended late. There were many files made and many errands ran (on foot in the scorching heat). Nothing was ever good enough for the help that was given. Helping the incoming students was a no no or even talking to them friendly. Not a very long break and also no time for a personal life. Management was very horrible and I normally had no co-workers. Management had a pick and choose complex and if you weren't like by your attitude; you were stuck with another set of work. The hardest part of the job was keeping my personality bland and as conformed and the most enjoyable part of the job was the students. The students kept it lively and fun.
Research Chemist
Research Chemist (Former Employee) –  Mississippi Chemical LaboratoryJune 21, 2012
I worked as a research chemist preparing agri chemicals to testing an evaluation. Some of this work was carried out at the USDA Boll Weevil Lab. Performed research and development testing on chemicals defined as pheromones, naturally occurring chemicals serving as "attractants" (i.e. boll weevil, roaches, etc). Preparation, analytical characterization, designing specialized preparation methods, and documentation were essential for creating fundamental knowledge on this relative new phenomenon in efforts to extinguish pests using "attractants" technology. This research position was carried out while attending graduate school.

After deciding to leave graduate school, continued affiliation with Mississippi State University as a research chemist preparing potential pesticides for use as fire ant bait. Many of the responsibilities were the same as presented earlier. Upon preparation of a potential fire ant bait, testing regiments were designed and carried out to determine their effectiveness.
Great Communication and Friendships
MARKETING DEPARTMENT INTERN (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 17, 2013
A typical day at work is basically just get out and interact with the students. We just try to get them involved in some activities and the bonus is that they get certain prices for free. I have learned that the more you interact with the people the more they feel comfortable and then you feel comfortable. Its hard to explain something if you feel uncomfortable. Management is amazing they help schedule around my school. I love coming into work. My co-workers are awesome, friendly, and ready to help if you need any help. The hardest part of this job is moving all the thing we use for a certain event. I love talking to people and getting to know a little about them and how we can improve in their opinion.
A wonderful and diverse place of employment. I had the opportunity to interact with many types of people and nationalities.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 21, 2012
I learned many things during my tenure at Mississippi State University. I learned the system of operating and running an academic office, how to help students exceed in their academics by assisting in class scheduling, assist faculty and staff in academic testing and evaluations, ordering and stocking supplies for an academic department. I was the 'face' of both the Psychology and Chemistry departments at MSU, I routed all phone calls, appointments, vendors, ect to their desired destinations.. I was a liason between faculty/staff/department head and student parents. I truly enjoyed the experience of working at MSU.
Pros
wonderful benefits, access to many athletic events, tuition discounts, extended holidays
Great place to work.
Head-Teacher-Human Sciences-Child Development (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 24, 2014
Manage classroom setting. Plan and implement lesson plans, ensure that all lesson plans are developmentally appropriate for each child. Keep daily logs for parents to review at the end of the child’s day. Keep portfolio’s consisting of the children’s progress and assessments as well as copies of the children work. Attend parent/teacher conferences, school events and employee trainings. Work under ECERS/ITERS quality rating system. Interact with children, parents, and staff. This position was located on a college campus and therefore was given the opportunity to teach college lab students the hands-on experience of what was taught in lecture.
Pros
great benefits and great people to work with.
Cons
no room for raises.
Productive & fun workplace
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJune 21, 2014
Officiated flag football, basketball, soccer, & softball. Called fouls, gave techs, and officiated very fair each night. I've learned that not all individuals are capable of the same athleticism and that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Co workers all looked to me for advance on how to become a better a official each night. Hardest part of the job was officiating teams or people I knew and worrying about the opposing team feeling as if I'm being biased. The most enjoyable part of the job was reffing a fair and clean game.
Pros
knowledge and experience
Cons
no matter how well you officiated a game it can never be perfect
A wonderful atmosphere. Team oriented work place.
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  This community is centered around the University.February 4, 2015
A team family co-workers. It is a great place where you can be yourself. A great group of people to work with day to day. A typical day usually involves management of laboratory projects, whether it is processing samples or training students on procedures. Always checking emails for visa reports, checking invoices for delivery, processing orders to purchase. Manage payments of orders and monthly statements. Maintain grant budgets. The hardest part of the job is when there a big project with many samples, makes for a long tiring day. The best part of the job is the people and flexibility of the job.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
parking is expensive and you are not guaranteed a spot even though you a high price for the decal.
Good place to acquire relevant and quality education.
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 29, 2015
I am a morning person and since I came to Mississippi State University I have learned a lot from my instructors. Having been given the opportunity by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics as Graduate Assistant and to work at the Center for Statistical Consulting has enabled me to have a hands-on experience in handling real life data analysis work. I appreciate my colleagues who have always believed in Team Work. The hardest part of the job (teaching/consulting) is when I have a short time or duration to complete the tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
qualified instructors
Cons
short breaks
This temporary job was exciting and afforded me many opportunities for extending my education.
Intermittent Interfviewer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 22, 2015
This was an energetic and rewarding job that allowed me to interact with many different people. The atmosphere was fun and entertaining. The people I worked with were all very talented people who did their best to make me feel comfortable in my role as an interviewer. I was able to learn a wealth of people skills from these employees.
Pros
Getting to interact with all sorts of different people, going to travel to places I wouldn't have normally and working with a wonderful group of people.
Cons
This was just a temporary job that had no benefits, I wasn't able to be creative with the interviews.
Productive work environment, can at times be overwhelming
Aramark Concessions Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 7, 2012
Working for Aramark Concessions was my first real part-time job. It was a fun job overall. Occasionally I was met with difficult tasks, but most of the time other employees were there to assist me if the task was too difficult. As this job pertained to baseball and football games at MSU, customer rushes could quickly get overwhelming, but were nearly always manageable.
Pros
mostly simple tasks, good food, nice staff
Cons
moving kiosk trailers by hand, overwhelming customers during rushes
Highly structured environment with well defined working goals
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 5, 2015
As a student athletic trainer my duties involved the care of active and injured athletes for the school's football, basketball, soccer, and tennis programs. This included taping ankles, maintenance of hydration stations, stretching before activity, etc. The hours were extremely demanding (i.e. in many cases, especially game days, a fourteen hour work week) but the work was performed in a highly efficient and timely manner.
Pros
team and goal oriented environment, free clothing and merchandise, books and tuition accounted for
Cons
extremely long working hours
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
Great Working Environment
Assistant Head Track Coack (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 9, 2015
Working at Mississippi State University, I served as an assistant track coach. I coached sprinters and relay teams. I learned that athletes can be developed into national competitors with the proper developmental programs, and the best equipment. Working at an outstanding University enabled me to further my education. The hardest part was traveling and attending graduate school. The most enjoyable part was about the job was making friends and living in a quiet but exciting community.
Pros
great community/ campus life
Cons
traveling a lot
Comprehensive knowledge
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 15, 2013
This university is preparing me for educational research by providing me with comprehensive knowledge about each course which act as a skill set in the research. As a graduate teaching assistant the most enjoyable part is preparing lectures, grading examinations, assignments as it gives me an opportunity to learn about the subjects contents and teaching. Although performing this task with perfection and in an organized manner is the challenging task for me. Under the supervision of my employer I am preparing myself for further research and teaching in the field of education
Pros
off on friday
Cons
i love what i am doing
Productive and fun place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 7, 2012
I worked as a student worker in two department of Mississippi State University. I worked in the Global Leadership Continuum, where I assissted in three leadership programs. I was responsible for inventory and helping organize leadership luncheons and benefits. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. I also worked in the Higher Education Institution, where I was responsible for contacting all the principals and superintendants in the MS school districts. I sent information about colleges to each school distirct and individual school. I enjoyed working with the team in that department.
Student Librarian
Reference Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSAugust 4, 2013
I typical day at work consisted of shelving books, answering the phones, assisting students in finding informations from book to articles to journals. I learned a lot about the patience needed to find what you are looking for. My co workers were fellow students who were just as hard working. The hardest part about working there seemed to be nothing. Not that it was challenging but nothing seemed to hard. I loved everything about that job.

4.5