Mississippi State University Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSDecember 20, 2016
Great benefits and extremely comparable Compensation. Wonderful Work Life Balance and Tuition assistance. Lots of available movement within. Time off, given and earned, are plentiful.
I hope no one gets this job after I leave...
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 24, 2016
The department I work for at MSU is horrid. Unprofessional and demeaning faculty. My supervisor specifically does not know the first thing about supervision. Everyone on campus knows that my supervisor is hard to work with, and before me not many assistants lasted long. The supervisor blames me for mistakes that I made while I was pregnant with horrible morning (all day) sickness, and also blames me for mistakes made when she told me to stay home around the holidays. Belittles me often with emails copied to several other people not only in my department, but other departments on campus.
Pros
Great benefits, leave rules, and several ways to get involved on campus.
Cons
Health Insurance for family is expensive. Uses the "buddy" system when choosing employees, which means they hire people they know.
Great Job
Field Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 8, 2017
Great job, great perks. Loved every minute of it. I met very nice individuals. Learned a lot. very diverse culture. management kind of shaky depending on who your supervisor is. the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and helping others. however, the position i held was under a grant so the saddest part was being laid off due to he grant not being refunded.
Great place to work for. Wonderul and caring staff that gelled like family.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durant, MSJanuary 24, 2017
Working for Mississippi State University was an honor. This job afforded me the opportunity to work with and meet people from all walks of life. The diversity encountered on this job has made me a better person today. The supervisors were genuinely concerned and they went out of there way to make sure you had every thing you needed to do your job. Our program funding ended and this is the reason I'm now searching for new employment.
Pros
Paid for 2 classes per sememester at the University
Cons
The pay could have been a little better
Mississippi
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Meridian, MSDecember 3, 2016
My experience teaching at Mississippi State University-Meridian Campus was mixed. I enjoyed the students, the size of the campus, the opportunity to work on research. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with students in Psi Chi, Psych Club, my research lab, and advising students for graduate school applications.
Pros
Small campus, easy parking, more one-on-one time with students.
Cons
Workload on the Meridian campus is three courses a semester, versus two courses on the Starkville campus, We do not have graduate assistants at the Meridian campus, but research expectations are the same as the main campus.
Solid working experience
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSOctober 3, 2016
Good atmosphere and solid company goals with opportunities for growth and expansion. Job security is readily available to diligent, good workers. Great management.
Pros
Decent to good pay, good management.
Cons
Slow paced environment, Always changing, Fun for those who like to learn
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 11, 2016
Overall a good experience, full of learning and new concepts. However, will work over 40 hours a week, and will be salary.
Pros
Good environment, pleasant people, great ideas
Cons
Administration
good work place
Field Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJanuary 15, 2017
The place to work with great colleagues and where everyone worked together. I really enjoyed working on the beautiful campus. I enjoyed traveling and meeting new people and helping those that needed help in seeking some educational needs.
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
proactive
Field Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Summit, MSSeptember 10, 2016
This is a great place. Manage Office Provide workshops for directors, teachers, teacher assistance and floaters Provide technical assistance for classroom setup Provide activities for teachers to incorporate in the classroom Create lesson plans Create power points for training Training on CPS Clickers Plan calendars Traveling across Mississippi
Pros
lots of travel
Cons
lots of travel

Want to know more about Mississippi State University?

Ask a question
Working for Housing and Residence Life
Senior Resident Adviser (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 18, 2016
The University loves student workers. They desire to see each student succeed. It is a great job to gain a wide variety of skills that can transfer to many different fields.
Pros
Paid housing, meal plan and decent pay
Graduate school
Adviser (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 28, 2017
Great place to go to school and work. Obviously difficulties arise in gradschool but the support system of staff and peers make the experience mostly enjoyable.
Great place to go to school
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSNovember 8, 2016
The opportunities offered to graduate students are second to none. This a great place to go to school and do research. The professors are helpful and give you as many tools as they can to help you succeeded.
Bad place to work
Instrument Manager/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 10, 2016
Bad boss verbally abused me. Too much work for one person. Ran the department instrumentation, repaired it when it went down, taught labs, and operated the XRD instrument for department.
Fun and rewarding
Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State University, MSNovember 15, 2016
Working at Mississippi state as an information Assistant has been wonderful! It's an amazing way to meet new people and learn valuable work experience.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Parking
Great place to work.
Head-Teacher-Human Sciences-Child Development (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 24, 2014
Manage classroom setting. Plan and implement lesson plans, ensure that all lesson plans are developmentally appropriate for each child. Keep daily logs for parents to review at the end of the child’s day. Keep portfolio’s consisting of the children’s progress and assessments as well as copies of the children work. Attend parent/teacher conferences, school events and employee trainings. Work under ECERS/ITERS quality rating system. Interact with children, parents, and staff. This position was located on a college campus and therefore was given the opportunity to teach college lab students the hands-on experience of what was taught in lecture.
Pros
Great benefits and great people to work with.
Cons
No room for raises.
Great University
Accounting Assistant/Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSOctober 18, 2016
Great university with wonderful instructors that work with students. The faculty/staff go above and beyond. Instructors really care about their students.
Respect for Student Work-life Balance
Student Researcher/Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMay 10, 2016
The faculty I worked under at Mississippi State had a strong respect for the needs of their workers not only as employees, but as students, and were willing to give a wide margin of space whenever school began to conflict with work. They're the best possible employers for a student in Starkville.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Few food options in the summer
This temporary job was exciting and afforded me many opportunities for extending my education.
Intermittent Interfviewer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 22, 2015
This was an energetic and rewarding job that allowed me to interact with many different people. The atmosphere was fun and entertaining. The people I worked with were all very talented people who did their best to make me feel comfortable in my role as an interviewer. I was able to learn a wealth of people skills from these employees.
Pros
Getting to interact with all sorts of different people, going to travel to places I wouldn't have normally and working with a wonderful group of people.
Cons
This was just a temporary job that had no benefits, I wasn't able to be creative with the interviews.
Good research university
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSSeptember 6, 2016
All kinds of equipment I need is available and I enjoy the research work here. People here are nice and easy going. I have learned a lot in operating many equipment and learned how to take charge of the laboratory.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mississippi State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4