Mississippi State University Employee Reviews

Relaxed Atmosphere
Copy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working for MSU. The atmosphere is very easy-going. As with any job, you do have your stressful moments.During a typical day I will receive requests from departments to have certain things printed.
It is based in small town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Overall this place is easy going. You can have good work and life balance. It is not a very competitive place. The university main focus is on football because that where money is. But the main essence of an educational institute is education. It seems many institute including MSState these days are more focused on being politically correct rather that quality of education.
Pros
Easy
Cons
I love working for Mississippi State University but I hate the long travel distance and the pay rate. My coworkers are so sweet and helpful
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be me coming in at 8:00 a.m. and signing on my computer. Once I have signed in I do my time sheet, log in to MYCIDs and then open my file (county). I input data by looking up the youths UCID (number assigned) such as name, whether the case is open/closed, the date it was closed if it is closed and I put in the results to their drug test if there is one, as well as their counselor(s). I do that all day between breaks. At the end of the day I fill in my time sheet and log off my computer and go home.

What I have learned is how to maneuver in MYCIDs in order to input the data in to an Excel document and how to find files at the actual sites outside of MYCIDS.

Management is great. Anything that I need to do my job or make my job easier, my boss makes sure that it is taken care of right away.

My coworkers have such positive, uplifting spirits. They are really a joy to work with. They are also very thoughtful, for birthdays and holidays.

The hardest part of the job is looking at a screen all day but I love what I do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having lunch with my coworkers.
Pros
One hour lunch, friendly coworkers and works with schedule.
Cons
Temporary job and not enough pay
Co-operative, friendly scientist
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 3, 2015
Professors are very informed and intellectual and one can learn a lot.The pay is nice and management personnel very supportive. The job is flexible and one can run errands in between and can make up for the job when time.
Work
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 30, 2015
I didn't get paid for the job. This was just a good way to gain some experience teaching other students technology. Taught software and hardware related material to undergrad students.
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
Great school and employer
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 21, 2015
I received two degrees from MSU and work here for 5 years. They have a supportive staff that encourages learning. The hours are flexible and opportunities for learning are vast.
IT was different but gave me new work skills.
Assist in organizing social events for staff (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 21, 2015
It was a fun place to work because I was not only an office worker, but the place I worked was in food science. So I got the chance to taste new foods and also learn more about nutrition. With my job I gained new work skills such as filing, spread sheet knowledge, and transferring calls.
Pros
The staff and experience
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 1, 2015
I was a research assistant. A typical day would consist of reviewing and discussing article that were relevant to the experiments that we were going to conduct later in the semester. The management was really relaxed but hardworking. My co-workers were very intelligent and hardworking. There really wasn't a hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part was conducting the experiments and having control of the lab during my lab hours.
Great Work Experience
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MississippiAugust 20, 2015
I helped organized files and grades students' assignments and tests. I learned how to communicate with students and help clean work space. The hardest part of the job was grading senior projects. I enjoyed grading the student's assignments and see what they have learned.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
stress of grading papers

Want to know more about Mississippi State University?

Ask a question
A great environiment to work at.
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Politicital Science and Public AdministrationJuly 31, 2015
A regular day or work would be with periods of breaks when the office was not busy and no breaks or extended lunch periods when office is very busy. The most enjoyable part of the job were providing services to the students.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
not enough direct training in the beginning
Great coworkers and hard working supei
Alcohol/Drug Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJune 23, 2015
Mississippi State University: Department of Health Education and Wellness helped me find my passion. I like being an Health Educator. I never knew that motivational interviewing could be so fun!
Pros
The immense amount of information learned.
Cons
There are always assignments to complete. The environment is always busy.
Excellent place to start your education
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 10, 2015
Attended MSU as a grad student, enjoyed interacting with colleagues and students. Allowed me to gain experience and student teach.
Pros
Professional environment with lots of support
Cons
Salary
Friendly office with an easy going atmosphere
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 5, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of sitting at my desk logging in and out accounting document, answering telephone calls and helping with any extra work that needed to be done. The management was very friendly and so were my co-workers.
Summer training for teachers across the state.
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 28, 2015
This was an interesting job because my lab was used to teach others across the state during the summer. They were also taught how to use technology in their classroom.
This temporary job was exciting and afforded me many opportunities for extending my education.
Intermittent Interfviewer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 22, 2015
This was an energetic and rewarding job that allowed me to interact with many different people. The atmosphere was fun and entertaining. The people I worked with were all very talented people who did their best to make me feel comfortable in my role as an interviewer. I was able to learn a wealth of people skills from these employees.
Pros
Getting to interact with all sorts of different people, going to travel to places I wouldn't have normally and working with a wonderful group of people.
Cons
This was just a temporary job that had no benefits, I wasn't able to be creative with the interviews.
Mississippi State University is a great institution
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2015
I have nothing bad to say about the company. Great place to go to school. The professors are knowledgeable and care about their students. I recommend this university for anyone.
Great Working Environment
Assistant Head Track Coack (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 9, 2015
Working at Mississippi State University, I served as an assistant track coach. I coached sprinters and relay teams. I learned that athletes can be developed into national competitors with the proper developmental programs, and the best equipment. Working at an outstanding University enabled me to further my education. The hardest part was traveling and attending graduate school. The most enjoyable part was about the job was making friends and living in a quiet but exciting community.
Pros
great community/ campus life
Cons
traveling a lot
Great Place
Coordinator of Recruiting Operations (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 16, 2015
Mississippi State is an opportunity to work in the SEC and a traditionally rich football state. Great opportunity and learned alot at this institution.
A wonderful atmosphere. Team oriented work place.
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  This community is centered around the University.February 4, 2015
A team family co-workers. It is a great place where you can be yourself. A great group of people to work with day to day. A typical day usually involves management of laboratory projects, whether it is processing samples or training students on procedures. Always checking emails for visa reports, checking invoices for delivery, processing orders to purchase. Manage payments of orders and monthly statements. Maintain grant budgets. The hardest part of the job is when there a big project with many samples, makes for a long tiring day. The best part of the job is the people and flexibility of the job.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
parking is expensive and you are not guaranteed a spot even though you a high price for the decal.

4.5