Mississippi State University Employee Reviews

Exciting and interesting environment without a dull moment
Information Technology Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 27, 2016
This job allows for different chance to connect to professionals throughout the workforce. There is always something new to see or learn making it a great learning opportunity as well as enjoyable environment.
I hope no one gets this job after I leave...
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 24, 2016
The department I work for at MSU is horrid. Unprofessional and demeaning faculty. My supervisor specifically does not know the first thing about supervision. Everyone on campus knows that my supervisor is hard to work with, and before me not many assistants lasted long. The supervisor blames me for mistakes that I made while I was pregnant with horrible morning (all day) sickness, and also blames me for mistakes made when she told me to stay home around the holidays. Belittles me often with emails copied to several other people not only in my department, but other departments on campus.
Pros
Great benefits, leave rules, and several ways to get involved on campus.
Cons
Health Insurance for family is expensive. Uses the "buddy" system when choosing employees, which means they hire people they know.
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Mississippi State University. The work culture is really good and collaborative. I learned a lot of new techniques and skills while working here. Overall it is a good place for research work.
Good environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 24, 2016
Flexible hours, very good with working with school hours. Good work environment overall. Good place to work while in school.
It is based in small town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Overall this place is easy going. You can have good work and life balance. It is not a very competitive place. The university main focus is on football because that where money is. But the main essence of an educational institute is education. It seems many institute including MSState these days are more focused on being politically correct rather that quality of education.
Pros
Easy
Great work environment
Marketing Professor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 5, 2016
Last position at MSU was Associate Dean in College of Business. Most days consisted of managing student issues and dealing with co-workers on various projects and day-to-day activities.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Some days were hectic.
Slow paced environment, Always changing, Fun for those who like to learn
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 11, 2016
Overall a good experience, full of learning and new concepts. However, will work over 40 hours a week, and will be salary.
Pros
Good environment, pleasant people, great ideas
Cons
Administration
Relaxed Atmosphere
Copy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working for MSU. The atmosphere is very easy-going. As with any job, you do have your stressful moments.During a typical day I will receive requests from departments to have certain things printed.
vERY busy in a fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 9, 2015
Begin by going over the list from the previous week, setting priorities. I review the progress of existing projects, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the following week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate to tasks that move projects forward, so I make habits out of organizational tasks for speed.”
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lack benefits
Great way to learn about lab protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2016
Worked in a group, learning experience, good part-time job while being a full time student. This job was not too time consuming.
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 1, 2015
I was a research assistant. A typical day would consist of reviewing and discussing article that were relevant to the experiments that we were going to conduct later in the semester. The management was really relaxed but hardworking. My co-workers were very intelligent and hardworking. There really wasn't a hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part was conducting the experiments and having control of the lab during my lab hours.
IT was different but gave me new work skills.
Assist in organizing social events for staff (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 21, 2015
It was a fun place to work because I was not only an office worker, but the place I worked was in food science. So I got the chance to taste new foods and also learn more about nutrition. With my job I gained new work skills such as filing, spread sheet knowledge, and transferring calls.
Pros
The staff and experience
Co-operative, friendly scientist
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSNovember 3, 2015
Professors are very informed and intellectual and one can learn a lot.The pay is nice and management personnel very supportive. The job is flexible and one can run errands in between and can make up for the job when time.
Great Work Experience
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MississippiAugust 20, 2015
I helped organized files and grades students' assignments and tests. I learned how to communicate with students and help clean work space. The hardest part of the job was grading senior projects. I enjoyed grading the student's assignments and see what they have learned.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
stress of grading papers
Great coworkers and hard working supei
Alcohol/Drug Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJune 23, 2015
Mississippi State University: Department of Health Education and Wellness helped me find my passion. I like being an Health Educator. I never knew that motivational interviewing could be so fun!
Pros
The immense amount of information learned.
Cons
There are always assignments to complete. The environment is always busy.
This temporary job was exciting and afforded me many opportunities for extending my education.
Intermittent Interfviewer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 22, 2015
This was an energetic and rewarding job that allowed me to interact with many different people. The atmosphere was fun and entertaining. The people I worked with were all very talented people who did their best to make me feel comfortable in my role as an interviewer. I was able to learn a wealth of people skills from these employees.
Pros
Getting to interact with all sorts of different people, going to travel to places I wouldn't have normally and working with a wonderful group of people.
Cons
This was just a temporary job that had no benefits, I wasn't able to be creative with the interviews.
A great environiment to work at.
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Politicital Science and Public AdministrationJuly 31, 2015
A regular day or work would be with periods of breaks when the office was not busy and no breaks or extended lunch periods when office is very busy. The most enjoyable part of the job were providing services to the students.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
not enough direct training in the beginning
Great Working Environment
Assistant Head Track Coack (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 9, 2015
Working at Mississippi State University, I served as an assistant track coach. I coached sprinters and relay teams. I learned that athletes can be developed into national competitors with the proper developmental programs, and the best equipment. Working at an outstanding University enabled me to further my education. The hardest part was traveling and attending graduate school. The most enjoyable part was about the job was making friends and living in a quiet but exciting community.
Pros
Great community/ Campus Life
Cons
Traveling a lot
Good place to acquire relevant and quality education.
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 29, 2015
I am a morning person and since I came to Mississippi State University I have learned a lot from my instructors. Having been given the opportunity by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics as Graduate Assistant and to work at the Center for Statistical Consulting has enabled me to have a hands-on experience in handling real life data analysis work. I appreciate my colleagues who have always believed in Team Work. The hardest part of the job (teaching/consulting) is when I have a short time or duration to complete the tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
Qualified Instructors
Cons
Short breaks
Highly structured environment with well defined working goals
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 5, 2015
As a student athletic trainer my duties involved the care of active and injured athletes for the school's football, basketball, soccer, and tennis programs. This included taping ankles, maintenance of hydration stations, stretching before activity, etc. The hours were extremely demanding (i.e. in many cases, especially game days, a fourteen hour work week) but the work was performed in a highly efficient and timely manner.
Pros
Team and goal oriented environment, free clothing and merchandise, books and tuition accounted for
Cons
Extremely long working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mississippi State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4