Mississippi State University

Mississippi State University Employer Reviews

Student Librarian
Reference Student Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 4, 2013
I typical day at work consisted of shelving books, answering the phones, assisting students in finding informations from book to articles to journals. I learned a lot about the patience needed to find what you are looking for. My co workers were fellow students who were just as hard working. The hardest part about working there seemed to be nothing. – more... Not that it was challenging but nothing seemed to hard. I loved everything about that job. – less
Great company to work for
Project Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 1, 2013
Pros: flexible, laid back, great experience
Cons: the pay is competitive but you wont get rich
I was equipped and ready for industry after my training at MSU
My professors were very knowledgeable and helpful
recommended to anyone interested
Great Job
Police Officer (Current Employee), Mississippi State, Ms.July 23, 2013
Working with students from all over the United States and different parts of the world. It is a great job.
nice place to study
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSJuly 18, 2013
I really had to work hard to get done my phD.
Nice people. Nice place to get to know people from different background.
Simple work for students
ITS Student Worker (Former Employee), Starkville, MSJuly 15, 2013
Great place to work when you are a student, work around class schedules, holidays off, nice people.
Multi-cultural environment where most people feel at home!
Graduate Teaching/ Research Assistant (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSJuly 8, 2013
A normal day at the Fitzkee lab starts with checking emails, there is at least one email sent the previous night about;lab work, current interesting publication and a few others. This is followed by experiments on research and teaching duties for a graduate teaching assistant. The day usually ends with a review on the what has been achieved in that – more... particular day and possible write up of results so that it becomes easy when preparing for monthly research presentation.
Doing things on time has become part of my life since my adviser is always looking for results,this has thought me not to wait for things to happen since I will not have any right to hope, so procrastination is no more a part of my life. I have come to realize that it doesn't matter who you work with, but its all about team work , being the only black girl in my lab doesn't really make a difference, I'm able to co-work with my lab mates and others from different labs to as well.
The hardest part of lab work is when the expected results are not obtained even when different approaches are used, the only solution to this is the passion for what I do, I always tell my self that "if it was easy I wouldn't be paid to do research from which I will earn my own degree" so it's worth the struggle!
When it comes to teaching it all about getting your student to accept what say like the "Gospel" , this is built from hard work and getting ready to answer their questions as much as you can which doesn't come easily.
The interesting part of my lab and teaching experience is when you get a publishable data from your experiments and with the teaching is the feedback from semester teaching evaluation, where my students make me feel I am the best TA ever! – less
Loved job, not environment
Police Officer (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSApril 21, 2013
Pros: purpose
Cons: politics
I greatly enjoyed the mission and purpose of my job to protect and serve the university community. However, the political environment was not for me. I have a desire to do my job the way it's supposed to be done without regard for anybody's political or "important" position.
Foundation step in my scientifc and professional life
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSMarch 15, 2013
Pros: excellent facilities and research work experience
Cons: located in small city
Mississippi State University is really good school to learn variety of subjects and research areas. A typical day at MSU, includes attaining classes and work on your thesis research project. I got opportunity to learn many new principles and techniques related to Molecular Biology field. Thesis project provided me a nice platform to work with professional – more... and research ethics. I learned many things which built my professional life such as team work with co-workers, independent research, communication skills and problem solving. The hardest part of job was to conduct laboratory research simultaneously with writing thesis and articles, but with my adviser's guidance helped me to adapt to the situation. The most enjoyable part of job was to get expected results in the every single step of the research and to solve problems associated with them. – less
Comprehensive knowledge
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Starkville, MSMarch 15, 2013
Pros: off on friday
Cons: i love what i am doing
This university is preparing me for educational research by providing me with comprehensive knowledge about each course which act as a skill set in the research. As a graduate teaching assistant the most enjoyable part is preparing lectures, grading examinations, assignments as it gives me an opportunity to learn about the subjects contents and teaching. – more... Although performing this task with perfection and in an organized manner is the challenging task for me. Under the supervision of my employer I am preparing myself for further research and teaching in the field of education – less
Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMarch 1, 2013
Hard to really critique a university from the stand point of student worker. I was great to have the extra income.
Exciting educational environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSFebruary 22, 2013
MSU is a fun, enjoyable work-place and learning institution for both students and faculty. I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty during my time as an graduate teaching assistant at MSU. The close-knit community of advisers,students,and faculty made the learning and work environment a pleasure to – more... visit every day. – less
Excellent place to start a good career in research.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MississippiFebruary 21, 2013
I learned how to conduct research in various aspects involving Biology and other related fields.

Managed a lab and anaerobic chambers, autoclaves, and various incubators.

Created Excel spreadsheets and various papers regarding the research that was conducted by me or my supervisor.
Good Research with Excellent faculty and staff
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Starkville, MSJanuary 16, 2013
Mississippi State University is one of the best land grant universities in U.S.A. where students work hard and at the same time enjoy their life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Instructor/Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSDecember 6, 2012
Pros: education, teaching, interacting with faculty and students
Taught three sections of a class while pursuing master's degree. Support, education, and resources were adequate and appropriate for success on all levels.
Great place to work while in school
Office of the President (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSNovember 30, 2012
Understood the balance between work and school and were very accommodating.
Data Entry Clerk
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Starkville MsNovember 5, 2012
I worked with faculty and staff at Mississippi State universtiy. I organized files, and directed multiple phone lines. This job was a work-study job; therefore I worked there until my budget ended. I loved working at this job because it was convient for me to leave class and go to work; as well as I was able to meet alot of professors.
Great summer job
Art Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSOctober 14, 2012
Pros: learn about art and its visual movement.
Cons: i have not its a great job.
Be a helping hand at all time, a lot of walking, and the opportunity to meet many great artist.
Great people, serious and professional environment
Instructor (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSOctober 11, 2012
I had the privilege to work with some incredibly bright thinkers and academics. They challenged my thinking daily and made me a stronger writer and teacher.
Quiet, close knit environment nice co-workers
Office Assistant College of Architecture (Current Employee), Starkville, MSOctober 10, 2012
A typical day included making copies, answering the phones, and running errands. Management is very kind and give great direction. Co-workers were very energetic and were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Flexible and diverse environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Mississippi State, MSOctober 1, 2012
The employees here came from different culture background. People can learn from each other.