Mississippi State University Employee Reviews in United States

A great environiment to work at.
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Politicital Science and Public AdministrationJuly 31, 2015
A regular day or work would be with periods of breaks when the office was not busy and no breaks or extended lunch periods when office is very busy. The most enjoyable part of the job were providing services to the students.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
not enough direct training in the beginning
A wonderful atmosphere. Team oriented work place.
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  This community is centered around the University.February 4, 2015
A team family co-workers. It is a great place where you can be yourself. A great group of people to work with day to day. A typical day usually involves management of laboratory projects, whether it is processing samples or training students on procedures. Always checking emails for visa reports, checking invoices for delivery, processing orders to purchase. Manage payments of orders and monthly statements. Maintain grant budgets. The hardest part of the job is when there a big project with many samples, makes for a long tiring day. The best part of the job is the people and flexibility of the job.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
parking is expensive and you are not guaranteed a spot even though you a high price for the decal.
Friendly office with an easy going atmosphere
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 5, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of sitting at my desk logging in and out accounting document, answering telephone calls and helping with any extra work that needed to be done. The management was very friendly and so were my co-workers.
Great coworkers and hard working supei
Alcohol/Drug Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJune 23, 2015
Mississippi State University: Department of Health Education and Wellness helped me find my passion. I like being an Health Educator. I never knew that motivational interviewing could be so fun!
Pros
The immense amount of information learned.
Cons
There are always assignments to complete. The environment is always busy.
Great Working Environment
Assistant Head Track Coack (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 9, 2015
Working at Mississippi State University, I served as an assistant track coach. I coached sprinters and relay teams. I learned that athletes can be developed into national competitors with the proper developmental programs, and the best equipment. Working at an outstanding University enabled me to further my education. The hardest part was traveling and attending graduate school. The most enjoyable part was about the job was making friends and living in a quiet but exciting community.
Pros
great community/ campus life
Cons
traveling a lot
Good place to acquire relevant and quality education.
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 29, 2015
I am a morning person and since I came to Mississippi State University I have learned a lot from my instructors. Having been given the opportunity by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics as Graduate Assistant and to work at the Center for Statistical Consulting has enabled me to have a hands-on experience in handling real life data analysis work. I appreciate my colleagues who have always believed in Team Work. The hardest part of the job (teaching/consulting) is when I have a short time or duration to complete the tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things everyday.
Pros
qualified instructors
Cons
short breaks
Highly structured environment with well defined working goals
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 5, 2015
As a student athletic trainer my duties involved the care of active and injured athletes for the school's football, basketball, soccer, and tennis programs. This included taping ankles, maintenance of hydration stations, stretching before activity, etc. The hours were extremely demanding (i.e. in many cases, especially game days, a fourteen hour work week) but the work was performed in a highly efficient and timely manner.
Pros
team and goal oriented environment, free clothing and merchandise, books and tuition accounted for
Cons
extremely long working hours
Summer training for teachers across the state.
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 28, 2015
This was an interesting job because my lab was used to teach others across the state during the summer. They were also taught how to use technology in their classroom.
Great Communication and Friendships
MARKETING DEPARTMENT INTERN (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 17, 2013
A typical day at work is basically just get out and interact with the students. We just try to get them involved in some activities and the bonus is that they get certain prices for free. I have learned that the more you interact with the people the more they feel comfortable and then you feel comfortable. Its hard to explain something if you feel uncomfortable. Management is amazing they help schedule around my school. I love coming into work. My co-workers are awesome, friendly, and ready to help if you need any help. The hardest part of this job is moving all the thing we use for a certain event. I love talking to people and getting to know a little about them and how we can improve in their opinion.
Overall satisfying job otherwise nothing
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 13, 2013
The typical day at work began early and usually ended late. There were many files made and many errands ran (on foot in the scorching heat). Nothing was ever good enough for the help that was given. Helping the incoming students was a no no or even talking to them friendly. Not a very long break and also no time for a personal life. Management was very horrible and I normally had no co-workers. Management had a pick and choose complex and if you weren't like by your attitude; you were stuck with another set of work. The hardest part of the job was keeping my personality bland and as conformed and the most enjoyable part of the job was the students. The students kept it lively and fun.
Mississippi State University is a great institution
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2015
I have nothing bad to say about the company. Great place to go to school. The professors are knowledgeable and care about their students. I recommend this university for anyone.
Productive & fun workplace
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJune 21, 2014
Officiated flag football, basketball, soccer, & softball. Called fouls, gave techs, and officiated very fair each night. I've learned that not all individuals are capable of the same athleticism and that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Co workers all looked to me for advance on how to become a better a official each night. Hardest part of the job was officiating teams or people I knew and worrying about the opposing team feeling as if I'm being biased. The most enjoyable part of the job was reffing a fair and clean game.
Pros
knowledge and experience
Cons
no matter how well you officiated a game it can never be perfect
Great Place
Coordinator of Recruiting Operations (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 16, 2015
Mississippi State is an opportunity to work in the SEC and a traditionally rich football state. Great opportunity and learned alot at this institution.
Lost Funding and my PhD Adviser
Instructor of Record (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 30, 2014
Not a very healthy environment to work. The staff and faculty were negative and I did not enjoy my tenure at this institution
Pros
make your own work schedule
Cons
micro-managed, not well paid, over-worked as a graduate student
Productive working environment with endless opportunities for learning and expansion of knowledge base
Instructor of Record/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSOctober 29, 2014
I loved working with Mississippi State. Teaching was one of my greatest joys and passions. At MSU, I was surrounded by intelligent people with a diverse range of backgrounds, research interests, and job/teaching experience so it was easy to learn new things from so many knowledgeable people.
Foundation step in my scientifc and professional life
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMarch 15, 2013
Mississippi State University is really good school to learn variety of subjects and research areas. A typical day at MSU, includes attaining classes and work on your thesis research project. I got opportunity to learn many new principles and techniques related to Molecular Biology field. Thesis project provided me a nice platform to work with professional and research ethics. I learned many things which built my professional life such as team work with co-workers, independent research, communication skills and problem solving. The hardest part of job was to conduct laboratory research simultaneously with writing thesis and articles, but with my adviser's guidance helped me to adapt to the situation. The most enjoyable part of job was to get expected results in the every single step of the research and to solve problems associated with them.
Pros
excellent facilities and research work experience
Cons
located in small city
Comprehensive knowledge
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 15, 2013
This university is preparing me for educational research by providing me with comprehensive knowledge about each course which act as a skill set in the research. As a graduate teaching assistant the most enjoyable part is preparing lectures, grading examinations, assignments as it gives me an opportunity to learn about the subjects contents and teaching. Although performing this task with perfection and in an organized manner is the challenging task for me. Under the supervision of my employer I am preparing myself for further research and teaching in the field of education
Pros
off on friday
Cons
i love what i am doing
Research Chemist
Research Chemist (Former Employee) –  Mississippi Chemical LaboratoryJune 21, 2012
I worked as a research chemist preparing agri chemicals to testing an evaluation. Some of this work was carried out at the USDA Boll Weevil Lab. Performed research and development testing on chemicals defined as pheromones, naturally occurring chemicals serving as "attractants" (i.e. boll weevil, roaches, etc). Preparation, analytical characterization, designing specialized preparation methods, and documentation were essential for creating fundamental knowledge on this relative new phenomenon in efforts to extinguish pests using "attractants" technology. This research position was carried out while attending graduate school.

After deciding to leave graduate school, continued affiliation with Mississippi State University as a research chemist preparing potential pesticides for use as fire ant bait. Many of the responsibilities were the same as presented earlier. Upon preparation of a potential fire ant bait, testing regiments were designed and carried out to determine their effectiveness.
College Job
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSSeptember 24, 2012
Perfect job for current college students. Provides the opportunity to learn responsibility and time management. Free housing, discounted meals, campus involvement, lasting relationships, extra money for books and classes.
Pros
free housing, extra money for school
Cons
n/a
Very Professional and Scientific
Intermittent Employee (Current Employee) –  MSAugust 5, 2012
Very interesting work experience doing science methods and practices as telemetry, electrofishing anf fish tagging. Hardest part of the job is to work long hours during the night. Most enjoyable part is to work in the outdoors with very professional co workers.

4.4