Mississippi State University Employee Reviews

Great place to go to school
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSNovember 8, 2016
The opportunities offered to graduate students are second to none. This a great place to go to school and do research. The professors are helpful and give you as many tools as they can to help you succeeded.
Great University
Accounting Assistant/Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSOctober 18, 2016
Great university with wonderful instructors that work with students. The faculty/staff go above and beyond. Instructors really care about their students.
Solid working experience
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSOctober 3, 2016
Good atmosphere and solid company goals with opportunities for growth and expansion. Job security is readily available to diligent, good workers. Great management.
Pros
Decent to good pay, good management.
proactive
Field Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Summit, MSSeptember 10, 2016
This is a great place. Manage Office Provide workshops for directors, teachers, teacher assistance and floaters Provide technical assistance for classroom setup Provide activities for teachers to incorporate in the classroom Create lesson plans Create power points for training Training on CPS Clickers Plan calendars Traveling across Mississippi
Pros
lots of travel
Cons
lots of travel
Good research university
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSSeptember 6, 2016
All kinds of equipment I need is available and I enjoy the research work here. People here are nice and easy going. I have learned a lot in operating many equipment and learned how to take charge of the laboratory.
Love the University setting
Manager of Parking Services (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSAugust 1, 2016
I love working in an University setting. I love getting to meet new people and develop a working relationship with them.
Grads: Funding is always available in some departments
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSJuly 13, 2016
Advisers really do their best in making any research goals you set for yourself as reachable as possible. Some advisers really focus on getting your name out there through publications which after graduation is actually the most important thing to helping you get hired.
Good environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 24, 2016
Flexible hours, very good with working with school hours. Good work environment overall. Good place to work while in school.
Love My Job
Contracts & Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 23, 2016
I love my job and the people I work with. I have been here a little over a year and working here has been an excellent choice. I wish I have stated here 15 years ago.
Pros
Great work enviornment.
Cons
Pay
Fun Workplace
Campus Landscape (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJune 1, 2016
Going to my station , driving company vehicle, mowing lawns. The hardest part of the job is the heat. Overall great experiences from learning to use zero turn mower, tractor, tend lawns , and green house.
Respect for Student Work-life Balance
Student Researcher/Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSMay 10, 2016
The faculty I worked under at Mississippi State had a strong respect for the needs of their workers not only as employees, but as students, and were willing to give a wide margin of space whenever school began to conflict with work. They're the best possible employers for a student in Starkville.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Few food options in the summer
good place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMay 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Mississippi State University. The work culture is really good and collaborative. I learned a lot of new techniques and skills while working here. Overall it is a good place for research work.
Exciting and interesting environment without a dull moment
Information Technology Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 27, 2016
This job allows for different chance to connect to professionals throughout the workforce. There is always something new to see or learn making it a great learning opportunity as well as enjoyable environment.
Great way to learn about lab protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 13, 2016
Worked in a group, learning experience, good part-time job while being a full time student. This job was not too time consuming.
Great work environment
Marketing Professor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSMarch 5, 2016
Last position at MSU was Associate Dean in College of Business. Most days consisted of managing student issues and dealing with co-workers on various projects and day-to-day activities.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Some days were hectic.
I hope no one gets this job after I leave...
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 24, 2016
The department I work for at MSU is horrid. Unprofessional and demeaning faculty. My supervisor specifically does not know the first thing about supervision. Everyone on campus knows that my supervisor is hard to work with, and before me not many assistants lasted long. The supervisor blames me for mistakes that I made while I was pregnant with horrible morning (all day) sickness, and also blames me for mistakes made when she told me to stay home around the holidays. Belittles me often with emails copied to several other people not only in my department, but other departments on campus.
Pros
Great benefits, leave rules, and several ways to get involved on campus.
Cons
Health Insurance for family is expensive. Uses the "buddy" system when choosing employees, which means they hire people they know.
Slow paced environment, Always changing, Fun for those who like to learn
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Mississippi State, MSFebruary 11, 2016
Overall a good experience, full of learning and new concepts. However, will work over 40 hours a week, and will be salary.
Pros
Good environment, pleasant people, great ideas
Cons
Administration
Relaxed Atmosphere
Copy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoy working for MSU. The atmosphere is very easy-going. As with any job, you do have your stressful moments.During a typical day I will receive requests from departments to have certain things printed.
It is based in small town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Overall this place is easy going. You can have good work and life balance. It is not a very competitive place. The university main focus is on football because that where money is. But the main essence of an educational institute is education. It seems many institute including MSState these days are more focused on being politically correct rather that quality of education.
Pros
Easy
Cons
I love working for Mississippi State University but I hate the long travel distance and the pay rate. My coworkers are so sweet and helpful
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be me coming in at 8:00 a.m. and signing on my computer. Once I have signed in I do my time sheet, log in to MYCIDs and then open my file (county). I input data by looking up the youths UCID (number assigned) such as name, whether the case is open/closed, the date it was closed if it is closed and I put in the results to their drug test if there is one, as well as their counselor(s). I do that all day between breaks. At the end of the day I fill in my time sheet and log off my computer and go home.

What I have learned is how to maneuver in MYCIDs in order to input the data in to an Excel document and how to find files at the actual sites outside of MYCIDS.

Management is great. Anything that I need to do my job or make my job easier, my boss makes sure that it is taken care of right away.

My coworkers have such positive, uplifting spirits. They are really a joy to work with. They are also very thoughtful, for birthdays and holidays.

The hardest part of the job is looking at a screen all day but I love what I do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having lunch with my coworkers.
Pros
One hour lunch, friendly coworkers and works with schedule.
Cons
Temporary job and not enough pay