Mississippi State University

Mississippi State University Employer Reviews

Fun workplacewith likeable coworkers and superiors.
Research Apprentice (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 7, 2012
Pros: great pay, great coworkers, fun tasks.
Cons: only a temporary job.
A day at the MSU Chemical Engineering Department would consist of working in a lab, learning to use different kinds of equipment and reporting results to the heads of the department. All my superiors were very friendly, and my coworkers couldn't have been nicer. I honestly can't think of a "hardest part of the job", because everything was prevented in such a fun way. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to use all the equipment.
Very Professional and Scientific
Intermittent Employee (Current Employee), MSAugust 5, 2012
Very interesting work experience doing science methods and practices as telemetry, electrofishing anf fish tagging. Hardest part of the job is to work long hours during the night. Most enjoyable part is to work in the outdoors with very professional co workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Event Services (Current Employee), Starkvill, MSJuly 25, 2012
Pros: free lunches, etc.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work would be setting up events for the school. The things that I have gasped would be a fast pace of the job and putting up a tent. My co-workers are the best. The hardest part of the job would be nothing for me because every moment was great for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the great work we accomplished for the day and seeing all of the Mississippi State fans happy.
Creative and Hardworking group
Research assistant (Current Employee), Starkville, MSJune 21, 2012
Typical work responsibilities include
- Come up with a new project ideas having scientific importance
- Design hypothesis and plan the experiments to test the
hypothesis
- Analyze the data and draw the sensible conclusions
- Publish the work in peer reviewed journals
- Guide the team of undergraduates and new graduates
- Conduct the responsibilities of lab manager like conducting
group meetings, monitoring the safety issues etc
A wonderful and diverse place of employment. I had the opportunity to interact with many types of people and nationalities.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSJune 21, 2012
Pros: wonderful benefits, access to many athletic events, tuition discounts, extended holidays
I learned many things during my tenure at Mississippi State University. I learned the system of operating and running an academic office, how to help students exceed in their academics by assisting in class scheduling, assist faculty and staff in academic testing and evaluations, ordering and stocking supplies for an academic department. I was the 'face' of both the Psychology and Chemistry departments at MSU, I routed all phone calls, appointments, vendors, ect to their desired destinations.. I was a liason between faculty/staff/department head and student parents. I truly enjoyed the experience of working at MSU.
Research Chemist
Research Chemist (Former Employee), Mississippi Chemical LaboratoryJune 21, 2012
I worked as a research chemist preparing agri chemicals to testing an evaluation. Some of this work was carried out at the USDA Boll Weevil Lab. Performed research and development testing on chemicals defined as pheromones, naturally occurring chemicals serving as "attractants" (i.e. boll weevil, roaches, etc). Preparation, analytical characterization, designing specialized preparation methods, and documentation were essential for creating fundamental knowledge on this relative new phenomenon in efforts to extinguish pests using "attractants" technology. This research position was carried out while attending graduate school.

After deciding to leave graduate school, continued affiliation with Mississippi State University as a research chemist preparing potential pesticides for use as fire ant bait. Many of the responsibilities were the same as presented earlier. Upon preparation of a potential fire ant bait, testing regiments were designed and carried out to determine their effectiveness.
MSU
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSJune 14, 2012
Overall as an entry level/ student level position I felt working for MSU was a great experience. The supervisors attempted to be understanding with the work/life balance, and also were open to ideas and trying new things. Also, if one wanted some specific experience, they tried to make it happen and give as many opportunities as possible. Still, as a lower level position, there were no other compensation or benefits, and no chance for advancement. Still, for an entry level job to gain experience, a good one.
Great college experience
Information Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSJune 6, 2012
Pros: flexible shifts, friendly supervisors, great work environment
Cons: low pay
While working for the University, I met many great colleagues and was able to balance out my work and school life. I will really miss this position.
Great place and learning experience
Student Worker- Stacks (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSMay 16, 2012
A typical day at the library was fun. I interacted with people on a daily basis. I worked for the stack department. So everyday, I shelved books and kept them straight throughout the library. It was not a hard job at all. My coworkers and I worked well together and helped each other. My supervisor was helpful and well educated.
Student Worker Review
Student Worker (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMay 14, 2012
I graded homework assignments and tests during the spring semester for a professor teaching System Dynamics, a senior level course that I took the previous semester.
Productive work environment, can at times be overwhelming
Aramark Concessions Crew Member (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMay 7, 2012
Pros: mostly simple tasks, good food, nice staff
Cons: moving kiosk trailers by hand, overwhelming customers during rushes
Working for Aramark Concessions was my first real part-time job. It was a fun job overall. Occasionally I was met with difficult tasks, but most of the time other employees were there to assist me if the task was too difficult. As this job pertained to baseball and football games at MSU, customer rushes could quickly get overwhelming, but were nearly always manageable.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMay 7, 2012
I worked as a student worker in two department of Mississippi State University. I worked in the Global Leadership Continuum, where I assissted in three leadership programs. I was responsible for inventory and helping organize leadership luncheons and benefits. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. I also worked in the Higher Education Institution, where I was responsible for contacting all the principals and superintendants in the MS school districts. I sent information about colleges to each school distirct and individual school. I enjoyed working with the team in that department.
Great resume builder as a student
Draftsman (Former Employee), Starkville, MSApril 19, 2012
Pros: great work experience
Cons: hourly pary
I worked about 4 hours per day as a student for the campus landscape architect. Working here really helped me apply my skills learned as a student and was viewed favorably by potential employers.
Fun interactive work environment with friendly individuals
Financial Aid Department Office Assistant (Former Employee), Mississippi State, MSApril 18, 2012
Coworkers were nice and helpful. I learned how to better deal with customer service issues. Management was wonderful. There was nothing hard about the job the only prpblem i found was the hours were only limited to part time.
Challanging and Rewarding Workplace
Director of Annual Giving (Current Employee), Starkville, MSApril 17, 2012
Pros: positive work environment, encouraging supervisors, flexiable hours, rewarding
Mississippi State University allows employees to grow and learn. While the work is challanging, there is always reward for a job well done.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville MsApril 16, 2012
Pros: great work place
A typical day was relaxed but busy, I learned a more in debt aspect of administrative work. The management were very organized and professional. My co-worker was a very cool guy I enjoyed working with him. There wasn't a hard part of the job because I felt I could accomplish any part of any task that was given to me.
Challenging and Productive
Student Trainer (Former Employee), Starkville, MSApril 12, 2012
Pros: sporting events, experience, scholorship
 Student trainer for football
o Provided practice and game coverage
 Student trainer for Men’s Basketball
o Carried out surgical Transportations and follow-ups
 Student Trainer for Track & Field
o Assisted in treatments and rehabilitations

Hardest part of Job: Balancing hours and maintaining a full-time student status
Excellent work experience for a college student.
Information Assistant (Current Employee), MSApril 5, 2012
Enjoyed my years in the Department of Residence Life at Mississippi State University.
very friendly work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Starkville, MSMarch 30, 2012
Pros: off holidays and weekends
Cons: no cons
Work day included answering phone, scheduling appointments, and working hands on with students,
Co-workers very friendly and helpful
Good opportunity
TA (Current Employee), Starkville, MSFebruary 28, 2012
Working for the university has helped develop my professional skills in the field of study that I am in.