Missouri Botanical Garden Employee Reviews

A very educational experience
Manager Sustainability Education Programs (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 31, 2016
The Missouri Botanical Garden has been a good experience and very educational. The atmosphere is, in general, very positive and they maintain a great work/life balance. Compensation is not good (to be expected from a non-for profit institution) and there is little to no opportunity for advancement in my current position. I have learned much about sustainability, particularly with how to institute sustainability into the functions of a large enterprise.
Pros
Great work/life balance, educational opportunity
Cons
Compensation, limited possibilities for advancement
Very nice place to work I love to see how the seasons changes things
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2016
The housekeeping department is one of most fun loving jobs at the Garden why because we love to keep the Garden beautiful for our guest and tourists. Cleaning can be very challenging but very rewarding you leave knowing you put in a job well done daily alot of the housekeepers have been there over five years so that right there let you know the Garden is a great job. I LOVE THE FACT THAT WE RECYCLE EVERYTHING AND PUT IT RIGHT BACK INTO THE GARDEN.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Better pay / need a childcare center for workers children
Interesting variety of duties in a beautiful setting
AV Tech, Mgr, Mail, Ship /Receive and CL sales (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MissouriMarch 19, 2015
My typical work day consists of:

Managing shipping and receiving through active involvement by communication to various clients receiving materials throughout the main campus and satellite campuses. I am the go-to tech support for my building in computer and audio-visual related issues.
As I find time, I procure items for sale on Craigslist, take photos and post along with description. I field calls, set appointments for showing and selling items, meet and greet customers, and finalize contracts for sale and cash forms to hand in to office. Every summer, I handle AV for the weddings at the Butterfly house, a division of MBG. This is overtime for six months per year. I would like to combine all this activity into one IT job.

I then take IT classes at night.
It was a productive eco friendly place to work at.
Internship (Former Employee) –  4344 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63110August 2, 2015
It was an interesting environment that focused its efforts towards nature. Made signage, and posters for the Garden's festivals as well. They catered to environmentalist who specialized in taking an interest in the many different garden types that exist throughout the world.
Pros
Got to visit the public access portion of the garden for an hour at any point of the day.
Cons
Deadlines were sometimes tight
It was great to walk to the Lehman Building when the plants are blooming.
Secretary/Word Processor and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2013
A typical day at work began with checking inbox for folders from curators to type letters, memos and other documents from tapes.
I learned a lot about plant names and manuscripts. I worked mostly for the Botanists who studied the plants new and old in the Herbarium at the Missouri Botanical Garden. My co-workers were great and we worked together to get work done in a timely manner. Working on grant proposals for National Science Foundation and National Geographic and making them fit into their forms. Also, other foundations when needed.
Loved walking though the Garden and seeing all of the different plants, trees and statues, etc.
Pros
Free donuts at Monthly meeting.
Cons
Pay was low mostly because of it being a non-profit organization
Great Place to Work
Server/Line Runner (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 4, 2015
The people are nice and understanding, I enjoyed my job and got recognized for my hard work. It was a very fun job to be at I would go back
Pros
Decent Pay, Nice Environment
Working with scientists is always rewarding and a learning expierence.
Secretary/Word Processor and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63119July 18, 2013
Worked with botanists, typing their letters from transcriptions and hard copy. Helped set up the Fall Symposium. Worked on National Science Foundation proposals, and National Geographic grants and proposals for individual curators. Typing their proposals into the forms on the internet and making them fit the forms.
Answering and directing calls or paging people working in the herbarium and away from their desks. Taking messages or putting the calls on Voice Mail. Working with scientists and people like that is very different from the commercial type of jobs.

I enjoyed working for the Missouri Botanical Garden. Every day was different and yet the same. Jus walking from the parking lot was an enjoyable experience. I really loved some of the sights and aromas from the plant life when passing by.
Pros
The Garden is a beautiful place to work. Walking around the campus is a plus.
Cons
Sometimes deadlines were hard to meet but always made them.
Very Productive Workplace
Seasonal Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 13, 2015
When your signed in your greeted by kind coworkers and employees. The scenery is just beautiful. There are hardly any complications with this position.
technical support during speacial event
Contracted for IT support during off hour events (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2015
I would have to each night role out the ticketing computers and then return them to there locked location each night. I also would be responsible for any and all issues that may arise that were computer related including but not limited to receipt and ticket printers.
Pros
could group of people to work with would love to work with them again.
Cons
Holiday work, not full time postion
Fun place with lots to learn about plants and people
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2015
This was only an internship. While my PI was away I'd come in and either do some background research or data entry. once he returned, i organized data for my project, manipulated the data and analyzed it. Some days i got to participate in other projects that were going on. I worked with economic botany so all of the people are really fun and have a lot of knowledge about things people do and can use plants for.
Pros
reduced lunch price, access to resources
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant - Major Gifts (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 6, 2013
The Missouri Botanical Garden is a beautiful place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was interfacing and communicating with donors, all of whom displayed a sincere love and respect for the Missouri Botanical Garden's mission and values.

Working at the Garden deepened my understanding of how important stewarding the earth's plant resources is to the future of our planet.
Pros
beautiful work environment
Cons
N/A
builds skills and fun work environment
Botanical Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2014
At this job i was required to categorize and maintain constant research on all moss and lichen samples held in our library.
Research in the field was also key. Trips to certain areas of Saint Louis were required to keep our library as updated as possible on exact number of species in our area. I was also required to use dissection techniques to determine the genus and species of a specimen.
Working at the Botanical Gardens is a good experience.
Visitor Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis MOMarch 6, 2012
I have been working for the Missouri Botaanical Garden for almost two years now.I have learned a lot about my self and new skills.For instance,working in an environment where you have to deal with people all day has taught me patience,humility and how to work under pressure.
Pros
the ablility to work outdoors, working with great employees, beautiful place
Cons
work hours
beautiful work environment with an internationally respected organization
Director of Information Systems (Former Employee) –  St. LouisApril 21, 2014
Being associated with the Garden with an increasingly sophisticated information technology capabilities while allowing one to interface with associates from the many facets of the organizations responsibilities was an exhilarating experience.
Pros
congenial collegiality
Productive and fun workplace with very friendly people.
Graphic Design Intern (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 27, 2012
I come in everyday doing actual graphic design work. Other internships have you do little design and more work unrelated to your field. The garden lets you know you are doing what you went to school for.
Pros
free admission to events and the garden. friendly co-workers.
Cons
intern position only.
GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2013
Good place to work for botanical research or horticulture.
A good place to work
Public Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MO (St. Louis-Jefferson SWMD)February 11, 2013
I work off-site from the main garden location but enjoy all the same amenities as other employees.
Pros
having a garden membership is an added bonus.
Fun place
Visitor Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2013
I got to use my customer service skills constantly at this job.Fast paced when working the registers and could be boring at times.

4.3