Missouri Botanical Garden

Missouri Botanical Garden Employee Reviews

technical support during speacial event
Contracted for IT support during off hour events (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2015
Pros: could group of people to work with would love to work with them again.
Cons: holiday work, not full time postion
I would have to each night role out the ticketing computers and then return them to there locked location each night. I also would be responsible for any and all issues that may arise that were computer related including but not limited to receipt and ticket printers.
Fun place with lots to learn about plants and people
Research Intern (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: reduced lunch price, access to resources
This was only an internship. While my PI was away I'd come in and either do some background research or data entry. once he returned, i organized data for my project, manipulated the data and analyzed it. Some days i got to participate in other projects that were going on. I worked with economic botany so all of the people are really fun and have a lot of knowledge about things people do and can use plants for.
beautiful work environment with an internationally respected organization
Director of Information Systems (Former Employee), St. LouisApril 21, 2014
Pros: congenial collegiality
Being associated with the Garden with an increasingly sophisticated information technology capabilities while allowing one to interface with associates from the many facets of the organizations responsibilities was an exhilarating experience.
builds skills and fun work environment
Botanical Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2014
At this job i was required to categorize and maintain constant research on all moss and lichen samples held in our library.
Research in the field was also key. Trips to certain areas of Saint Louis were required to keep our library as updated as possible on exact number of species in our area. I was also required to use dissection techniques to determine the genus and species of a specimen.
GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION MANAGER (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2013
Good place to work for botanical research or horticulture.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant - Major Gifts (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 6, 2013
Pros: beautiful work environment
Cons: n/a
The Missouri Botanical Garden is a beautiful place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was interfacing and communicating with donors, all of whom displayed a sincere love and respect for the Missouri Botanical Garden's mission and values.

Working at the Garden deepened my understanding of how important stewarding the earth's plant resources is to the future of our planet.
It was great to walk to the Lehman Building when the plants are blooming.
Secretary/Word Processor and Receptionist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2013
Pros: free donuts at monthly meeting.
Cons: pay was low mostly because of it being a non-profit organization
A typical day at work began with checking inbox for folders from curators to type letters, memos and other documents from tapes.
I learned a lot about plant names and manuscripts. I worked mostly for the Botanists who studied the plants new and old in the Herbarium at the Missouri Botanical Garden. My co-workers were great and we worked together to get work done in a timely manner. Working on grant proposals for National Science Foundation and National Geographic and making them fit into their forms. Also, other foundations when needed.
Loved walking though the Garden and seeing all of the different plants, trees and statues, etc.
Working with scientists is always rewarding and a learning expierence.
Secretary/Word Processor and Receptionist (Former Employee), St. Louis, MO 63119July 18, 2013
Pros: the garden is a beautiful place to work. walking around the campus is a plus.
Cons: sometimes deadlines were hard to meet but always made them.
Worked with botanists, typing their letters from transcriptions and hard copy. Helped set up the Fall Symposium. Worked on National Science Foundation proposals, and National Geographic grants and proposals for individual curators. Typing their proposals into the forms on the internet and making them fit the forms.
Answering and directing calls or paging people working in the herbarium and away from their desks. Taking messages or putting the calls on Voice Mail. Working with scientists and people like that is very different from the commercial type of jobs.

I enjoyed working for the Missouri Botanical Garden. Every day was different and yet the same. Jus walking from the parking lot was an enjoyable experience. I really loved some of the sights and aromas from the plant life when passing by.
Fun place
Visitor Service Attendant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2013
I got to use my customer service skills constantly at this job.Fast paced when working the registers and could be boring at times.
A good place to work
Public Information Officer (Current Employee), Maplewood, MO (St. Louis-Jefferson SWMD)February 11, 2013
Pros: having a garden membership is an added bonus.
I work off-site from the main garden location but enjoy all the same amenities as other employees.
Productive and fun workplace with very friendly people.
Graphic Design Intern (Current Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 27, 2012
Pros: free admission to events and the garden. friendly co-workers.
Cons: intern position only.
I come in everyday doing actual graphic design work. Other internships have you do little design and more work unrelated to your field. The garden lets you know you are doing what you went to school for.
Working at the Botanical Gardens is a good experience.
Visitor Service Attendant (Current Employee), Saint Louis MOMarch 6, 2012
Pros: the ablility to work outdoors, working with great employees, beautiful place
Cons: work hours
I have been working for the Missouri Botaanical Garden for almost two years now.I have learned a lot about my self and new skills.For instance,working in an environment where you have to deal with people all day has taught me patience,humility and how to work under pressure.