Missouri Department of Conservation Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with limited opportunities
Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Wildwood, MOJuly 27, 2017
I loved working for the Missouri Department of Conservation, but I was only part time. They do not have many full time positions for naturalists. If they did, I would have stayed longer to try to gain a position.
Pros
Amazing job and great people
Cons
Wish there were more full time positions
Love working outdoors
Habitat management (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 7, 2017
Best part is working outdoors. Downside is education is not utilized, limited opportunities for advancement, and Missouri Dept of Conservation is lowest paid natural resource management agency in the nation.
Pros
outside work
Cons
pay and limited opportunities for advancement
Task-driven staff in a relaxed environment
Resource Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MOJune 21, 2017
The staff at the Missouri Department of Conservation-Clinton Office are all genuinely passionate about the work they are doing, and are task-oriented people. They also care about teaching others along the way.
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 21, 2017
I love this job, the people are great, the work is stable. You really feel like part of a family. The benefits are great, the only real downside is the pay. It is awful!
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun work place
App Dev Hourly (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 8, 2017
A typical day of work at MDC consists of multiple-hour development meetings, a lunch break, and a few hours of working with someone else in programming a feature of an application.
I have learned at lot with MDC. My boss is always looking for new things to test me with and giving me tutorials to complete so that I can learn a new skill.
Management is very helpful if I have any questions and my coworkers are helpful as well.
The hardest part of the job, for me, is knowing exactly what my supervisor wants when they ask for a report or review (too little information, too much information, where do I stop? What information is the most important to comment on?).
With out a doubt, the most enjoyable thing is completing a task and seeing something work the way it is supposed to.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks, fun people, relaxed work place
Cons
I didn't really have a desk and do my work at
A perfect job for those who love the outdoors
Seasonal Fire Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Festus, MOFebruary 13, 2017
This job was physically demanding and challenging during undesirable weather conditions. However, working outdoors in remote areas of wilderness made this job worth it. There was little supervision with this position so self-discipline is a necessity for this line of work
Pros
Rewarding for those who like to work outdoors
Cons
Physically demanding
Productive and educational
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MODecember 10, 2016
Love working with the department of conservation and educating the public on our states conservation issues. Love showing the public the wonderful things suck as fishing, hunting, and conservation management.
Minimal career advancement
Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 29, 2016
Difficult to advance your career. Salary is low. Working outdoors was a huge plus but the pay is so low it's hard to make a living. Supervisors weren't very fair, played favorites.
learning opportunity
Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  JeffeFebruary 17, 2016
Was able to acquire valuable skills that I use daily on projects. Hands on experience with wastewater and treatment. Worked with City Engineer and contract engineering firm out of ST. Louis
Worked as intern
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 5, 2016
Those in operations (fisheries, wildlife, forestry, etc.) are very passionate about their jobs. In HR, it's typical 8 to 5 work in an office, but there were a few field visits to facilities which is always a great learning experience.
Loved It
Aquatic Intern (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MissouriMay 12, 2015
Everyone here created a family oriented work place. This was only an internship for me, but I made life long connections.
Lots of fun
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 25, 2014
I had the opportunity to do a lot of fun things most people don't to do in their life
Pros
working outside on beautiful lakes
Cons
minimum wage
Professional and really fun to work with
Condition Assessment (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 22, 2014
This was really great experience and thought lots of things
Recommended to all of you
Great summer entry level position.
Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blind Pony Fish HatcheryJanuary 9, 2014
Good entry level position. Work outdoors 4 to five hours a day. Learned basic hatchery operations.
Pros
Good entry level experience.
MDC Job Review
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOJuly 8, 2013
A typical work day for me at MDC, I would prepare all out going mail, distribute all incoming mail, set up daily cash register, answer incoming calls, help visitors in the visitors center, assist with typing reports, and restocking gift shop items and brochures. As an employee of the MDC i was able to take a workshop class about talking to the public on the phone in a professional way. The people i worked with were wonderful from co-workers to management. The hardest part of my job was people who were upset about things that were out of my control like permit prices or regulations and helping them understand why a change was better for them rather than just MDC. the Most enjoyable part of my job was the kids who would come into the visitor center, they had so many questions about nature it was nice to be able to give back in a positive way to the community.
great place
Fisheries Genetic Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 31, 2013
learned laboratory skills
had fun working in the field
great boss
Great Place to Work
Part-Time Hourly (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, MOMarch 20, 2013
Learned so much about plant and animal species.
Great place to work.
Everyone treates you with respect.
A constant learning environment
resource assistant (Current Employee) –  Missouri Department of Conservation, GreenRidge MOMarch 4, 2013
Improving habitat for fur, fish, and game for the State of Missouri. Also, maintaining native prairie landscapes, along with prairie reconstruction and old field management.
Average work day
Area Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Dexter, MONovember 2, 2012
Loved the work & got along with everyone I worked with, still friends with most of them. Pretty easy work, like being outside
Political agenda management!!! The state's natural resources takes second to the politics.
Protection District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 5, 2012
Learned a lot. Professional atmosphere. Political climate is very "heavy". High stress in managerial/supervisory positions.
Pros
professional atmosphere
Cons
too much political interference, with department's constitutional responsibilities.