Missouri Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

no raise, no bonus
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 14, 2017
No raise, they can change your job description at any time. Was with company for 5 years and all of a sudden they chose to be a call center. changed points system. Lowest paid state workers in United States.
Cons
low pay, no raise
good environment
Programmer/Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJune 14, 2017
Productive work environment. Never boring. Always challenging work. Some new technical knowledge is attainable. Reasonably close to St. Louis Metro area.
Helping families and making a difference
Investigator (Children's Service Worker II) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 12, 2017
There is never a typical day at work in this job. Some days you think you have your day planned, and then you can get a report that you will be working on all day in the field. You never have time to sit down and type unless you use your time wisely.
Management is very poor and there is no support.
The hardest part about the job is you never really know what you're walking into, and meeting deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help families and making a difference.
Rewarding Career
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 26, 2017
I love caring for others and this job gave me the opportunity to care for children in state custody. Whenever I needed assistance with anything pertaining to the needs of the children in my care, Missouri Department of Social Services was there to help.
Horrible Place to Work
Children's Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 12, 2017
The true meaning of over worked and underpaid. It's a bad job period. Run...Very stressful and not worth it. Disagreements on cases with supervisors often.
Pros
I liked my coworkers
Cons
management, pay, etc.
Ok place to work
Eligibility Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 1, 2017
I have been on this job for twenty years now. In that time frame, I have only been able to move from an Eligibility Specialist to a ES Supervisor. In Jackson county, there are no position to move to and the few that comes out every once in a while, management promotes those that they are friends with or those that kiss up to them. It's never done based on qualifications or experience. It's very bad!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Bad management
Very production place to work
Clerk Stenographer I (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 11, 2016
I started working at the Division of Family Services as a Clerk Typist and was later promoted to a Clerk Steno I.

I answered a multi-line phone, took dictation for letters and memos,coordinated training and travel for the employees, logged sick and vacation for HR.

I also assisted the Caseworkers with filing clients records.
Pros
Employee lunches
Cons
Lots of work for little pay
Employment in Child Abuse and Neglect
Children's Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64106October 4, 2016
I often worked extended hours. I experienced burnout from the pressure and stress. I transported children to medical appointments. I visited at in foster homes and attended school meetings. I coordinated treatment services for parents in the removal home.
Productive Workplace with Great Benifits
QA Analysis (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working with my team and management on this project and had no problems fulfilling all the clients requirements, on time with the established deadlines.
Family Service
FAMILY SUPPORT ELIGIBILITY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2016
Typical day, providing services to families and children in their own homes in order to address problems of abuse/neglect and promote the safety of the children within the family. I learned these services are helping families all over the country. Management and co-workers were friendly and supportive. Leaving my position to relocate to Indiana was the hardest part of the job. Before leaving, I enjoyed being part of an organization the provided these services for families and children.
Pros
Helping familes
Casual working environment
Sr. OFFICE SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 4, 2015
Daily duties included reviewing and screening child support applications for complete and accurate information.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry, frustrated clients and unprofessional co-workers.

The benefits as well as job security was nice however, the hourly wage was low.
Pros
Job security/Benefits
Cons
Angry clients, low hourly wage
x
Special Education Teacher III (Former Employee) –  moOctober 5, 2015
great company to work for excellent enviornment. benefits are good salary is the lowest in the nation. management is caring, schedule has good work life balance.
Totally productive.
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 22, 2015
Child care is a great thing, I get to care for my own grandkids and teach them all the basic things in life that they are eventually going to need to know. I learned that kids today have many more questions, that they need answer to, then I did when I was young, and they are much more advanced. There really is no hard part to the job if you are doing what you love. The best part of the job is to watch them learn how to read and write and learn to play and to share.
Pros
working w/fam
Cons
the children became very attached
enjoy management team approach
Adoption/ Resource Development Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St.Llouis, MOSeptember 6, 2015
It's a good agency with strong emphasis on child protective services and foster care case management. Good opportunites for career development. Offers ability to work with collaborative partners in the community.
Do what you love, Love what you do
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, MOAugust 3, 2015
Everyday is a new day, and never boring. Great co-workers and amazing benefits. Supportive management and room to grow.
Productive and fun place to work, close knit coworker relationships
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  9900 PageJuly 30, 2015
It is a productive and fun place to work. Friendly and hardworking people work there. It is a secure job with good benefits package.
Pros
secure with good benefits
Cons
workloads are huge
Overworked and Underpaid
Children's Service Worker II (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJune 3, 2015
You get told you work will an eight to five job, you end up working an eight am to at least an eight pm job. Plus your on call. I thought I would be working with children, I only transport them. I spend most of my day driving all over the state in my own car. I spend the rest of the time entering data and doing paperwork. The training is horrible and you get no help from the upper management. You learn as you go on your own.
Pros
hmmm
Cons
Pay, No time for vacation, No family time, Unhappy
I felt like it was a good place to work, got along with coworkers. I was able to help people who needed it
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield MissouriMay 1, 2015
Filing
Answering Multi phone lines and directing calls to apporpriate person
Greeting Clients
Data Entry (That was a 60% of job)
Opening and Distributing Mail
Typing Letters
Scheduling appointments

I enjoyed working with my co workers
I enjoyed helping others
Quiet workplace with some stress.
Office Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 16, 2015
I was a clerk for the Missouri Department of Social Services, hired through a Temp Agency. I was there every weekday, for a full day, doing general secretarial/ office duties. I answered phones, filed old and new files, data entry on the computer, and used a copier, fax machine, and scanner. The environment was fairly quiet for the most part, but had some stressful das with the attorneys.
Rough days
Children's Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 12, 2015
There were rough days working at CD however the support of coworkers was always refreshing. Case load is generally very high.