Missouri Department of Social Services

Missouri Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

I felt like it was a good place to work, got along with coworkers. I was able to help people who needed it
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee), Springfield MissouriMay 1, 2015
Filing
Answering Multi phone lines and directing calls to apporpriate person
Greeting Clients
Data Entry (That was a 60% of job)
Opening and Distributing Mail
Typing Letters
Scheduling appointments

I enjoyed working with my co workers
I enjoyed helping others
Quiet workplace with some stress.
Office Support Associate (Former Employee), Independence, MOApril 16, 2015
I was a clerk for the Missouri Department of Social Services, hired through a Temp Agency. I was there every weekday, for a full day, doing general secretarial/ office duties. I answered phones, filed old and new files, data entry on the computer, and used a copier, fax machine, and scanner. The environment was fairly quiet for the most part, but had some stressful das with the attorneys.
Rough days
Children's Service Worker II (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MOMarch 12, 2015
There were rough days working at CD however the support of coworkers was always refreshing. Case load is generally very high.
Enjoyed my job, horrible management
Medicaid Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee), Jefferson City, MOOctober 30, 2014
I highly enjoy my actual job and what I do to help providers on a daily basis.
The management I am under is extremely bad and the environment I work in with them is hostile and they are known for extreme bullying.
HR department is there for the management and not the employees. It is time for me to search other options due to this.
State Job Through and Through
Children Service Worker I (Current Employee), Bootheel AreaOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, employment of some kind
Cons: traveling, no monetary payment for overtime, lazy foster parents, lack of foster parents, constraints of rules and policies
I enjoy the work most days. The children I help are the main reason I stick around. Between bad foster parents, the lack of foster parents in general, time constraints, constant policy changes, the lack – more... of actual authority that the Children's Division has, the general stress of it all, and the lack of consistency from month to month in local policies make it very challenging to stay. When you work over time you are given comp time which is hard to use due to the paperwork and documentation associated with a given caseload. Ineffective employees are kept, I believe, because there are very few qualified people applying for open positions. It seems to take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to interview people once a position opens up if there is anyone to apply for the open position. That persons case load gets dispersed adding stress to the other workers which eventually makes them look elsewhere for employment and perpetuates the cycle. Upper management seems callous to these realities and seems to be absolutely clueless on why they can't retain workers. We, the workers, are expected to do things in a hurry while upper management can take as much time as they want when making changes or maintaining the status quo. I understand they/we are bound by the budget the state sets and statutes, but it seems either the state, politicians, or the public in general would rather let great workers go elsewhere instead of compensating them fairly and allowing for quality time to themselves or with their families. It feels like we are expected to submit to everyone else's whim while we have no say so and can make no demands from the public. This includes asking for donations for foster children. We are expected to make up any deficit in the budget when providing events for foster parents and foster children. Yeah, be sure to have money to give away to the generally ungrateful, demanding clients and foster parents then have them turn around and complain. – less
Productive work space
Contructor (Current Employee), Jefferson City MOOctober 6, 2014
Great company. Interesting proje coworkers.cts. Intelligent
Missouri Child Support Enforcement
Child Support Specialist (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: state of missouri employees are under paid
Great co-works and good friendly place to work. Really miss the people I worked with. Really disappointed with the State of Missouri decided it would be best for our office to be closed and redirect 15 counties of people to offices all over the state.
Case worker
Case Worker (Former Employee), St. LouisMay 23, 2014
Pros: no weekends
Cons: stressful
State job very hard to get on but great once hired. Training provided and good people to work with.
Social Service Agency
Children's Social Service Supervisor (Former Employee), MissouriMay 18, 2014
Fast paced environment with customer services, direct care and first response needs.
High Turnover Rate
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOApril 24, 2014
Pros: healthcare, hours
Cons: pay was not conducive to duties, management
I worked in the child support hearings unit. There is one supervisor who made me absolutely hate my job.
I enjoyed the duties of the job. They were pretty repetitive and enjoyable.
Stressful but rewarding
Social Service Worker II (Former Employee), Independence, MOOctober 19, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: high stress
You can make amazing differences in children's lives. However it is a stressful position. There is a high turnover for this reason. You sometimes have to work more than 8-5. Your co-workers are generally wonderful.
A social service agency dedicated to the protection and safety of Missouri's children
Children's Service Specialist (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 15, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: budget is favored over long time employees
This is an agency to be that believes in empowering families to be their best.
Meaningful job with an unpredictable schedule
Children's Service Worker (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 15, 2013
Pros: varying daily job duties, pension, and vacation and sick time
Cons: long hours, unpredictable schedule
There is no such thing as a typical day with this job. Days may include home visits with families, children and foster parents, attending court hearings, writing reports, contacting service providers to – more... receive reports on clients, and documenting everything. I have learned a lot about court procedings and community referrals. Awesome and helpful coworkers. Some supervisors are great and some are burnt out and sleep in their office. The best part of the job is bringing families together and the worst is tearing them apart. – less
fast paced, high voulme
Family Support Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), st.Louis MOApril 1, 2013
Pros: holidays
Cons: health insurance
Multi-taksing is a very important ability
competent co-workers
repressive workplace with no opportunity for advancement.
Assistant Communications Director (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MoDecember 7, 2012
Pros: short breaks, regular hours
Cons: inconsistent workload, inexperienced, inept managers.
State agency with patronage hires resulted in inept management.
Great Job, Crazy Hours
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee), Saint Lous, MoNovember 23, 2012
Pros: great benifits
Cons: again the hours.
Average day was spent with a group of girls between the age of 13-18 in a therapeutic enviroment. The work detailed passing meds, alot of paper work,group meetings, counseling, coaching and mentoring. – more... Overall the co-workers where as good as you could get anywhere. The hardest thing was dealing witht he hours. For example working 32 hours in a weekend and having the rest of the week basicly off. The next week pulling 16 hours on thanksgiving day and having it count as three days off. – less
Providing services to families at risk of abuse and neglect
Children's Service Specialist (Current Employee), Kansas City MoJune 27, 2012
The Children's Division is employed by persons that have a desire to work with families in which child abuse and neglect are a risk. The co-workers work many hours to provide consistant services to families – more... to help reduce the risk to the entire family. This is done by working with community angency, visiting the homes of families to assess the risk, placing children in out of home placements, and reaching out to the natural resources such as families to initiate a community to help care for the children.
The management appears to be concerned more with the numbers and making things look good in order to obtain the funding for the services needed for our families. This is a very important part of the operation of this agency. It does not appear to be a connection between management and the front line workers.

. – less
Great staff.
Children's Service Worker II (Current Employee), Saint Charles, MOJune 26, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no advancement unless willing to relocate to jefferson city, mo. performance is not based on merit, 3 raises in over ten years.
Great agency that needs more funding to assist the children of Missouri.
Truly a position for an individual who loves to help others.
Elgibility Specialist (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 29, 2012
Pros: stability
Cons: poor benefits
A workday consist of contact with clients , determining elgilibility, case management.
I learned organization, how to work independently, and how to work with a variety of client.
The co workers a very helpful.
You will be very busy.