Missouri Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace with Great Benifits
QA Analysis (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working with my team and management on this project and had no problems fulfilling all the clients requirements, on time with the established deadlines.
Casual working environment
Sr. OFFICE SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 4, 2015
Daily duties included reviewing and screening child support applications for complete and accurate information.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry, frustrated clients and unprofessional co-workers.

The benefits as well as job security was nice however, the hourly wage was low.
Pros
Job security/Benefits
Cons
Angry clients, low hourly wage
x
Special Education Teacher III (Former Employee) –  moOctober 5, 2015
great company to work for excellent enviornment. benefits are good salary is the lowest in the nation. management is caring, schedule has good work life balance.
Totally productive.
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 22, 2015
Child care is a great thing, I get to care for my own grandkids and teach them all the basic things in life that they are eventually going to need to know. I learned that kids today have many more questions, that they need answer to, then I did when I was young, and they are much more advanced. There really is no hard part to the job if you are doing what you love. The best part of the job is to watch them learn how to read and write and learn to play and to share.
Pros
working w/fam
Cons
the children became very attached
enjoy management team approach
Adoption/ Resource Development Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St.Llouis, MOSeptember 6, 2015
It's a good agency with strong emphasis on child protective services and foster care case management. Good opportunites for career development. Offers ability to work with collaborative partners in the community.
Do what you love, Love what you do
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, MOAugust 3, 2015
Everyday is a new day, and never boring. Great co-workers and amazing benefits. Supportive management and room to grow.
Productive and fun place to work, close knit coworker relationships
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  9900 PageJuly 30, 2015
It is a productive and fun place to work. Friendly and hardworking people work there. It is a secure job with good benefits package.
Pros
secure with good benefits
Cons
workloads are huge
Overworked and Underpaid
Children's Service Worker II (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJune 3, 2015
You get told you work will an eight to five job, you end up working an eight am to at least an eight pm job. Plus your on call. I thought I would be working with children, I only transport them. I spend most of my day driving all over the state in my own car. I spend the rest of the time entering data and doing paperwork. The training is horrible and you get no help from the upper management. You learn as you go on your own.
Pros
hmmm
Cons
Pay, No time for vacation, No family time, Unhappy
I felt like it was a good place to work, got along with coworkers. I was able to help people who needed it
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield MissouriMay 1, 2015
Filing
Answering Multi phone lines and directing calls to apporpriate person
Greeting Clients
Data Entry (That was a 60% of job)
Opening and Distributing Mail
Typing Letters
Scheduling appointments

I enjoyed working with my co workers
I enjoyed helping others
Quiet workplace with some stress.
Office Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 16, 2015
I was a clerk for the Missouri Department of Social Services, hired through a Temp Agency. I was there every weekday, for a full day, doing general secretarial/ office duties. I answered phones, filed old and new files, data entry on the computer, and used a copier, fax machine, and scanner. The environment was fairly quiet for the most part, but had some stressful das with the attorneys.
Rough days
Children's Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 12, 2015
There were rough days working at CD however the support of coworkers was always refreshing. Case load is generally very high.
Enjoyed my job, horrible management
Medicaid Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 30, 2014
I highly enjoy my actual job and what I do to help providers on a daily basis.
The management I am under is extremely bad and the environment I work in with them is hostile and they are known for extreme bullying.
HR department is there for the management and not the employees. It is time for me to search other options due to this.
State Job Through and Through
Children Service Worker I (Current Employee) –  Bootheel AreaOctober 16, 2014
I enjoy the work most days. The children I help are the main reason I stick around. Between bad foster parents, the lack of foster parents in general, time constraints, constant policy changes, the lack of actual authority that the Children's Division has, the general stress of it all, and the lack of consistency from month to month in local policies make it very challenging to stay. When you work over time you are given comp time which is hard to use due to the paperwork and documentation associated with a given caseload. Ineffective employees are kept, I believe, because there are very few qualified people applying for open positions. It seems to take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to interview people once a position opens up if there is anyone to apply for the open position. That persons case load gets dispersed adding stress to the other workers which eventually makes them look elsewhere for employment and perpetuates the cycle. Upper management seems callous to these realities and seems to be absolutely clueless on why they can't retain workers. We, the workers, are expected to do things in a hurry while upper management can take as much time as they want when making changes or maintaining the status quo. I understand they/we are bound by the budget the state sets and statutes, but it seems either the state, politicians, or the public in general would rather let great workers go elsewhere instead of compensating them fairly and allowing for quality time to themselves or with their families. It feels like we are expected to submit to everyone else's whim while we have no say  more... so and can make no demands from the public. This includes asking for donations for foster children. We are expected to make up any deficit in the budget when providing events for foster parents and foster children. Yeah, be sure to have money to give away to the generally ungrateful, demanding clients and foster parents then have them turn around and complain.  less
Pros
great coworkers, employment of some kind
Cons
traveling, no monetary payment for overtime, lazy foster parents, lack of foster parents, constraints of rules and policies
Productive work space
Contructor (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City MOOctober 6, 2014
Great company. Interesting proje coworkers.cts. Intelligent
Missouri Child Support Enforcement
Child Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 13, 2014
Great co-works and good friendly place to work. Really miss the people I worked with. Really disappointed with the State of Missouri decided it would be best for our office to be closed and redirect 15 counties of people to offices all over the state.
Pros
great staff
Cons
state of missouri employees are under paid
Case worker
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  St. LouisMay 23, 2014
State job very hard to get on but great once hired. Training provided and good people to work with.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
stressful
Social Service Agency
Children's Social Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MissouriMay 18, 2014
Fast paced environment with customer services, direct care and first response needs.
High Turnover Rate
Office Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 24, 2014
I worked in the child support hearings unit. There is one supervisor who made me absolutely hate my job.
I enjoyed the duties of the job. They were pretty repetitive and enjoyable.
Pros
healthcare, hours
Cons
pay was not conducive to duties, management
Stressful but rewarding
Social Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 19, 2013
You can make amazing differences in children's lives. However it is a stressful position. There is a high turnover for this reason. You sometimes have to work more than 8-5. Your co-workers are generally wonderful.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
high stress
A social service agency dedicated to the protection and safety of Missouri's children
Children's Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 15, 2013
This is an agency to be that believes in empowering families to be their best.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
budget is favored over long time employees

Missouri Department of Social Services Reviews by Location