MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Employee Reviews

Worked there 10 years
SENIOR CREW WORKER (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, MOSeptember 6, 2017
I worked there a lot of years. Gave it my all but needed a job to better provide for my family. Good benefits. Steady job. Overtime during snowstorms.
Pros
Steady
Cons
advancement
Productive, very interesting and fun workplace
Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 6, 2017
I retired in 2000 at age 58 after 30 years of employment. I thoroughly enjoyed my career. I especially enjoyed all the friends, acquaintances, co-workers, etc. that I developed down through the years by working at this top-notch government agency. Because of my employer, I was also able to especially enjoy my lengthy involvement with CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) which was comprised of government agencies from all 50 states, federal gov't., commercial transportation companies as well as commercial vehicle components manufacturer of all types, all working together to achieve one common goal: Safety On Our Nation's Highways.
Pros
Everything was good!
Cons
As with most jobs, pay could have been better.
Its an good place to get your foot in the door
Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 5, 2017
Its an ok place to work. Work can be stressful, Supervisor in the office I work at needs to step it up do their part to make MoDoT family more successfu when it comes to doing our jobs.
Great Place to work
Traffic Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOAugust 3, 2017
The benefits are worth every bit as much as the salary. Good people to work with and great job to make a career. If you value your time with your family, this is the job for you.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Good starting job, pay not very well
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 24, 2017
work 10 hour days during warmer months, 8 hour days during winter months. Good at teaching and letting you learn things. Amount of work required for the pay not very appealing. Don't give raises and paid semi-monthly
Good basic career job with good benefits for the rural community.
Regional Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, MOJune 13, 2017
It was a good job with career advancement opportunities if you're willing to work for it. When I was there the pay was adequate and the benefits were good. The employees in the rural communities never hardly walked away from that job
Some of the procedures were hard to follow and as time went on Innovations and growth made the job harder. Also with the change of department heads we had a lot of changes to deal with from time to time. Now I've heard they're having trouble keeping employees because of low salaries.
Pros
Career advancement and good leave benefits
Cons
Alot of the employee evaluations were not used like they should have been.
Seasonal Worker Comments
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Hannibal, MOMay 10, 2017
Report to the supervisor to see what was the plan for the day. Then just go do whatever is needed. I learned to operate commercial sized forklift. Building repair on the sheds as an assistant between mowings of the grounds.

The tough part is being seasonal/temporary. There is a missing respect from fellow permanantly employed people. It makes a person feel too disposable. The great part was even as seasonal I could bid on a permanant job opening. Plus be able to gather some info on requirements for a position.
Pros
Steady work great pay and great people to work with.
Cons
Petty politics.
Supervison
Supervisor, Motorist Assist / Emergency Response (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MO 63017April 10, 2017
In some departments there is no room for advancement and pay has been at a stand still for many years. There is no current talk about raises in the future.
Benefits
Cons
Always on call
Good training and good starting job
Senior Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOMarch 31, 2017
Good training and starting job but very had to move up and A couple pay raises. And the pay raises are not much. The equipment is old and low bid. Most new employees stay only to get there cdl and some training
Company functions were nice.
Senior Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOFebruary 25, 2017
Holidays were always special and each department would bring in a variety of food regarding those specific events. Co-workers were very family oriented. Also we had celebrations for employee's anniversaries and/or retirements. Also, did special events for the public in our parking lot near the garage, where our snow removal equipment was held. Firemen and local police always came out too. Bring your child to work day was always fun too. Loved these aspects of our work environment. The hardest part of the job was when we went through a downsizing a few years back, where people had to compete for their own jobs. The cost containment and the rejection of infrastructure money (taxes) really had a poor impact on morale and no raises. Money was incredibly tight, and finally had to make decision to look for more stable position. Really disliked having to leave due to these circumstances. I made a lot of really good friends and miss the comradery that existed. Also, was nice to work close to home.
Pros
Our company functions - Food!!!
Cons
No raises for years due to lack of funding.
Not very productive, wastfull
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 21, 2017
Always left the morning meeting wondering what my job was today, no information put out. Very unorganized. Co worker would talk with each other while getting their personal protective equipment about, what are we doing today, just lost most of the time. Some workers would just get in a dump truck and drive around all day, go back the the shed at quitting time, fill out the time sheet and go home. No accountability on personnel.
Pros
A job
Cons
Unorganized
good people
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, MOFebruary 19, 2017
had fun working summers here. the people were good and had a funt time do the jobs that needed done. from mowing to patching the road. good equipment to work with.
Good family atmosphere...Government issues that plague all government Jobs
Contract I.S. Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJanuary 30, 2017
Government job issues that plague all government associations. Pay was enough scratch out a living, but not much room for advancement, professionally or financially.
Pros
Government Job that will always exist
Cons
Not much room for advancement or pay increase
Nice place to work, but you aren't going to be rich.
STL (Current Employee) –  STLDecember 27, 2016
MoDOT is a great place to work if you aren't worried about pay. The benefits (insurance) are pretty good, and there are a lot of great people.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Awful wages
Great company to work for with good benefits
Senior Electrician (Current Employee) –  MissouriDecember 5, 2016
Great company to work for. I am on call once every 3 weeks and on a Snow Removal rotation every few weeks. The only reason for leaving is I'm relocating to Texas with my fiancé who has a job there.
good for experience
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MONovember 9, 2016
You are a number and easily replaced. They ran out of funding so they had nothing for project engineers and design staff. They moved them into the maintenance department. This caused many veteran employees in maintenance to lose their jobs. The buddy system is alive and well here.
Pros
Free commercial drivers license
Cons
20 hour days if it might snow. Low pay. High speed, high volume traffic.
Overall ok
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MONovember 4, 2016
Great benefits with a flexible schedule. Long hours during the winter. Compensation could be better but the benefits help make up some of the lower income
AVOID this state agency at all costs...
Senior Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 4, 2016
Laid off about 150 long time employees in Feb. 2013. Most were over 50 years old. Paid out over $6 million in age and gender discrimination settlements in 2013 alone. Spends obscene amounts of $$$ on lavish conferences at Lake of the Ozarks , Branson and St. Louis and then claim they have no money for roads. Horrible place to work.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Can you survive hateful management until retirement
Great co-workers
Bridge Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 1, 2016
Wonderful job, not so wonderful pay and benefits. It's great to serve your community and improve the infrastructure, that being said, The pay is not nearly high enough to compensate the high level of skill it requires.
A very nice working environment, and learning experience
SAFETY AND HEALTH INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJune 29, 2016
Employees are very understanding when told they are not following policies and do their best to follow them and be as safe as possible. I enjoy being able to interact with everyone on the job sites because they respect what us safety officers are trying to do for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval