Missouri Southern State University Employee Reviews in United States

Earned a bacholors degree in education social study's
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 8, 2016
Missouri Southern University is dedicated to the education of students. It is a growing university with high academic standards that is comparable world wide.
Great enviroment, friendly staff, and flexible for students
Reference Desk Librarian (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 2, 2016
I mostly sat at the front desk and answered questions and phone calls regarding books and printing options. I absolutely loved working here I was able to have my number one focus on classes and my boss was very flexible to work with me around my class schedules as well as other activities I was involved in. The rest of the staff created a friendly environment for my to gain experience in Public Relations as well as improve my overall knowledge of technology. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the hostile patrons when I was unable to solve their issue. I do not like leaving a customer unsatisfied and when I was unable to help, I sympathized for the patron.
Card Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOSeptember 28, 2015
My supervisor was always accessible if I had any issues. Co-workers are friendly and patient. The days can get boring as the semester goes on, so there is not much variety of what you do.
Worked well with my schedule
Ticketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 15, 2015
I was able to set my own hours which made for a very productive day. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to watch all the sporting events at the school. The people who work there were a pleasure to be around which made things not even feel like it was work.
Cons
No benefits
Great place to begin a career.
IT Tech - SW (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 1, 2015
I am only a student technician. It is a great place to start a career and learn the many things involved in this career path.
assistant women's basketball coach
Instructor and Women's Assistant Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 21, 2015
My resposibilities included: instructor of wellness classes, asistant basketball coach, recruiting director, and summer camp director. I enjoyed the watching my students and players have personal growth as well as team growth
A fun and educational place to work.
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 8, 2015
It was a job to do while i studied and was very open to my schedule.
diversity
Student Life Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 18, 2014
best part working on campus in a diverse workplace students from around the world would come to the life center and have fun since it was a international school that I attended
Pros
meeting people from different cultures
Cons
minimum wage
MSSU provides a good steady job, the management is accomadating and nice. The wages are not the best.
Ground Crew (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 1, 2014
We are given assignments to do a certain type of grounds work for the day or specific work orders to accomplish. The summer ground crew usually does most of the edging while the full timers mow. We also clipped hedges, trimmed trees, shoveled out gutters and ditches, picked up trash and am currently vacuuming up fall leaves. A summer employee can get on full time if there is a vacancy in the full time positions. The managers are great people, easy to work with. I would love to work for the University if the wages were better, the beginning wages are $9.74 hr. which comes to $1280 a month. Unfortunately that is not enough to live on and pay bills and pay a student loan.
I loved working out side all summer and the rest of the MSSU staff are wonderful people, I will very much miss my summer crew!
Pros
meet fantasic people, enjoyed a wonderful summer.
Cons
low wages, no benefits.
Very fun to work at
Blackboard Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 6, 2014
Great place to work with great people.All of the management and other staff was great and they seemed to have plenty of challenge or upward mobility
Pros
flexible time
Cons
i did not qualify for the great benefits
Fun work place
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 25, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was get to teach other people my language!
Cons
Nice work environment, low pay
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 23, 2014
MSSU is full of friendly faculty and staff. A great place to work as far as benefits, retirement and job security are concerned. It did seem that advancement was more difficult if you didn't "know someone" and it paid poorly. Many paid holidays and fair vacation. Overall a good place to work.
Family oriented but not enough compensation
Scholarship Clerk - Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 15, 2013
The Financial Aid office is a busy place and helping the students feels great. However, when students don't get what they think is coming to them they get angry and take it out on the person waiting on them. It is hard not to take it personally.
Pros
family oriented atmosphere
Cons
poor compensation
Students make the job fun.
Faculty Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOSeptember 5, 2013
A typical day consist of assisting students with determining a major and assigning an advisor. Very busy with students, faculty and phone calls. I've learned that everyone is important. This university is still growing and making lots of changes, including management.
Pros
four day weeks in the summer
Great place to work. Challenging and creative.
Online Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 22, 2013
Communicating via telephone and internet with advisees about plans of study, curriculum choices and general information about online degrees.
My co-workers were helpful and we had a team approach.
Management was open to suggestions and opinions.
Dealing with students who would not take my advice on academic decisions.
Seeing advisees succeed as they fulfilled their academic goals
Pros
excellent pay for a part time position
Cons
no healthcare-
BSN school
Assistant Professor/Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 31, 2013
Enjoyed working with students and faculty. Class schedule and paperwork extreme at times, but do-able. Interem Director super leader and teacher. Much emphasis on advisement which is good for both student and school.
Pros
students
Cons
encourages certification but does not allow time or finances to mantain certification
Great work atmosphere!
Director of Recreational Services (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 13, 2013
I provide Wellness, Recreation and Fitness services to the campus community. This includes all Students, faculty, and Staff. I am responsible for all daily operation of student recreation center, including personnel, budget/finance, and services.
Work well with student schedule
Web Developer - Student Helper (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 2, 2013
I worked part-time while in school and they were very understanding of a student's demanding schedule. I reported to two managers and they were both great to work with.
love it
Student Communications provided help (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 14, 2012
Love this school and helping people. This company help me with understanding different ethnicities and helped me understand the cultural differences between us all.
Not a good place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 4, 2012
It was a job. If you work there they will pay 2/3 of tuition if you want to go to school but will not work around your school schedule because your job is first. Co workers are ok if they dont know your business because they gossip alot.
Pros
very fexible work schedule and long lunches
Cons
no raises or advancement opportunity

4.4