Missouri Southern State University Employee Reviews

Student Worker
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 15, 2017
I was a student worker in the ACTS office. Our job during the summertime was to help organize the Southern Welcome event. It was my duty to call families who had signed up to set up appointments. My coworkers were helpful and kind and very patient with me if I had questions.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Lots of phone usage
Loved working with students eager to learn
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF NURSING (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 1, 2017
The students were very eager to learn. Management was not supportive of faculty needing to work at an additional job in order to maintain certifications as nurse practitioners. Management was nearing retirement age and did not support new faculty and their eagerness to bring the department up to current technology and practices.
Pros
Students
Cons
Older faculty did not support younger faculty
Supportive environment
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 16, 2017
Good place to work, supportive of faculty. The pay is not comparative to other universities. They do not support continuing education for their faculty. The best part is that you are allowed to teach your courses without alot of interference from administration.
Things have changed over the years
Scholarship Clerk - Financial Aid Department (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 2, 2017
It was a great company to work for in the 1990's, then things began to change. It was no longer one big family working toward a common goal. It became about the almighty dollar. Staff was sacrificed in order to get new and younger blood. The workers are no longer a happy family. So sad.
Grounds Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Physical plantJanuary 16, 2017
More compensation would help rate of employee turnover. Could have better management in higher areas of the schools administraion.
Typical higher education
Instructional Designer/Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 7, 2016
Typical higher education. Pay scale is much lower than industry standards. There are perks of other benefits. When I first started, this was a wonderful place to work but since they've hired new administration, the work atmosphere is no longer pleasant and employees are constantly worried or uncertain about their future.
Pros
plenty of time off
Cons
new university management
My College
Football Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 16, 2016
During my time spent at Missouri Southern State University, I obtained tons of skills that will last me a lifetime. My future employer will be pleased with my overall ability to perform my job.
Earned a bacholors degree in education social study's
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 8, 2016
Missouri Southern University is dedicated to the education of students. It is a growing university with high academic standards that is comparable world wide.
Great enviroment, friendly staff, and flexible for students
Reference Desk Librarian (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 2, 2016
I mostly sat at the front desk and answered questions and phone calls regarding books and printing options. I absolutely loved working here I was able to have my number one focus on classes and my boss was very flexible to work with me around my class schedules as well as other activities I was involved in. The rest of the staff created a friendly environment for my to gain experience in Public Relations as well as improve my overall knowledge of technology. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the hostile patrons when I was unable to solve their issue. I do not like leaving a customer unsatisfied and when I was unable to help, I sympathized for the patron.
Card Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOSeptember 28, 2015
My supervisor was always accessible if I had any issues. Co-workers are friendly and patient. The days can get boring as the semester goes on, so there is not much variety of what you do.
Worked well with my schedule
Ticketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 15, 2015
I was able to set my own hours which made for a very productive day. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to watch all the sporting events at the school. The people who work there were a pleasure to be around which made things not even feel like it was work.
Cons
No benefits
Great place to begin a career.
IT Tech - SW (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 1, 2015
I am only a student technician. It is a great place to start a career and learn the many things involved in this career path.
assistant women's basketball coach
Instructor and Women's Assistant Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 21, 2015
My resposibilities included: instructor of wellness classes, asistant basketball coach, recruiting director, and summer camp director. I enjoyed the watching my students and players have personal growth as well as team growth
A fun and educational place to work.
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 8, 2015
It was a job to do while i studied and was very open to my schedule.
diversity
Student Life Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 18, 2014
best part working on campus in a diverse workplace students from around the world would come to the life center and have fun since it was a international school that I attended
Pros
meeting people from different cultures
Cons
minimum wage
MSSU provides a good steady job, the management is accomadating and nice. The wages are not the best.
Ground Crew (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 1, 2014
We are given assignments to do a certain type of grounds work for the day or specific work orders to accomplish. The summer ground crew usually does most of the edging while the full timers mow. We also clipped hedges, trimmed trees, shoveled out gutters and ditches, picked up trash and am currently vacuuming up fall leaves. A summer employee can get on full time if there is a vacancy in the full time positions. The managers are great people, easy to work with. I would love to work for the University if the wages were better, the beginning wages are $9.74 hr. which comes to $1280 a month. Unfortunately that is not enough to live on and pay bills and pay a student loan.
I loved working out side all summer and the rest of the MSSU staff are wonderful people, I will very much miss my summer crew!
Pros
Meet fantasic people, enjoyed a wonderful summer.
Cons
Low wages, no benefits.
Very fun to work at
Blackboard Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 6, 2014
Great place to work with great people.All of the management and other staff was great and they seemed to have plenty of challenge or upward mobility
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
I did not qualify for the great benefits
Fun work place
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 25, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was get to teach other people my language!
Cons
Nice work environment, low pay
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 23, 2014
MSSU is full of friendly faculty and staff. A great place to work as far as benefits, retirement and job security are concerned. It did seem that advancement was more difficult if you didn't "know someone" and it paid poorly. Many paid holidays and fair vacation. Overall a good place to work.
Family oriented but not enough compensation
Scholarship Clerk - Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 15, 2013
The Financial Aid office is a busy place and helping the students feels great. However, when students don't get what they think is coming to them they get angry and take it out on the person waiting on them. It is hard not to take it personally.
Pros
Family oriented atmosphere
Cons
Poor compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Missouri Southern State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3