Mistras Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Got to start some where
Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 10, 2017
Sure different offices have different problems and but management stunk But from my exsperiance all third party NDT companies our dishonest and just use people. Worst management i ever seen no advancement unless it benefits your boss they do not care about you. But pay was good but not for the quality of life and hours you had to perform for it. No family there no real conection with management.
coworker were great pretty high turn around underskilled but that what they like around there. No job instructions it was to much work for management, unhappy clients and horrible work. Equipment was the worst part.
Pros
Really nothing besides they wont fire you literally
Cons
they work you out of town and dont promise 40s low hourly wage for the industry
What a joke
Implementer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2017
This job is a joke. Management runs in circles with no direction and that trickles down. Uppers have no clue and aren't approachable for questions/direction. Therefore leaves lower employees to pick the slack up. Unrealistic expectations from the client and the list goes on. Don't work for them unless you want to drive your career into the ground OR you fit into the "click" as others have said. From the start this has been a 3 ring circus and I should've seen it coming when nobody even knew I was coming the first day on the job. Empty promises and no career advancement.
Pros
Half day friday
Cons
Pay, management, and everything between
This company has numerous lawsuites due to lack of payment to employees.
Maintenance and Capital Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Baytown Texas / Texas City TxAugust 7, 2017
I have worked for MISTRAS on several ocassions over the past few years and it has been the worst experience in my working career.
They have cheated me out of perdiem, overtime pay and tried to ruin my career after I complained about it. If you are not in thier click "BEWARE".
Pros
Cons
I worked close to job site.
Management issues
Industrial Radiographer (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 1, 2017
It is a good place to work but not much room for advancement into management. They have good benefits for full time employees and paid vacation. The longer you have been there the more vacation hours you acquire. Overall it is a good place to work.
The benicia lab is a joke.
Lvl II tech (Current Employee) –  Benicia, CAMay 30, 2017
This review is strictly for the Benicia, CA lab. I do not even know where to begin. If you are seeking employment just do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. I have worked here for a few years now and have realized about 95 percent of the people are just billable bodies. Completely unable to do their basic job functions. This starts with the GM and trickles down to EVERY possible position. From the office manager to the OPs manager to the site leads and to the technicians. Theu even have people plan the turnarounds who have zero experience with field work and it shows. I am embarassed to work for this people most of the time. The equipment is out dated and old and does not compete with what the competitor uses. They have a new RSO who is supposed to be taking over...i still do not know how he got through an interview. He doesnt even understand the math he is responsible for teaching. This lab puts people in charge who have absolutly no field experience. This is a major flaw. I could go on for hours about this place, but would rather spend tbe time searching for a new employeer.
Pros
Cons
Unpaid training. Forced to skip lunches and breaks
Great work environment.
Industrial Radiographer Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 12, 2017
Everyone makes you feel like you are family. Great learning experience.

Very knowledgeable staff and supporting co workers.

Great customer service and fair prices.
very diverse work enviorment, great for advancing your skill set.
Nondestructive Inspection Technician (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 15, 2017
you're exposed to many different inspection methods and exposed to many different elements, management could do better or at least do right by the employees. you are monitored 110% of the time with constant audit's being preformed and spoken to daily about work goal's and quota's. The best part of the day is doing the actual inspection's out in the field.
Good lab to settle down at
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Heath ohioFebruary 9, 2017
Good lab overall suits people who are later in life with family's. Does mostly in lab work, good for learning ut inspection and do short day jobs here and there. Not for people who want to do mostly road work.
productive
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHFebruary 6, 2017
More than an Non Destructive Testing company with great health care,401K and paid holidays. Check out their website mistrasgroup.com.
Great people to work with.
Diverse Workplace
Timekeeper (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CADecember 2, 2016
I love my 4-10's Scheduled it allows me a 3 days weekend most weekends. However when big projects come up a work life balance is almost impossible. But the extra money was definitely nice!
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
occasional long work weeks
They are a ok company
safety (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXNovember 28, 2016
They are a ok company to work for, below average pay but keep you working. They have plenty of turnarounds throughout the plants to keep you employed,.
Office Assistant/Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 7, 2016
NONE AT THIS TIME
Small group just being established here locally. Hired as an assistant for an at home Accounting Manager.
Pros
None at this time
Cons
None at this time
Big company little employees
Level II every method (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT, Denver, COMay 24, 2016
This company is world wide with offices in every state in the U.S. so every office won't be the same.
It's a billion dollar company, but every office only works out of its own budget, so some offices pay better or have better equipment than others. Some states have more work than others.
The office will watch their finances first. If you aren't working, they will send you out of state to work. However if it benefits them more and you less, they'll keep you home. So you may find yourself wishing you were on a job getting 84 hours a week, but because there is 30 hours a week at home, that's where they have you.
You have no choice about your schedule, if it's busy you may work 100 hours per week, and if it's slow you may work 16. You work when and where they tell you.
They do have online training, you can advance with this company much faster than with a small one and the top end has more options to advance to. However you will advance the direction that is best for your boss and not necessarily how you want. If they need a cwi, then you might get one, or an api, but if they need an RT tech more that may be where you head, or if try need phased array or eddy current, that may be where you head. You can hire on without a degree, but you'll advance, faster and make slightly more with one.

It's a good starting place to get experience, but beyond that I personally wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Travel if no work is available locally
Cons
It's the Wal-Mart of NDT
The model of squeezing out the Middle class
Finance Group (Former Employee) –  NJMay 23, 2016
The only job I ever had where my paycheck went backwards after 3 years! They froze salaries while increasing benefits, so I brought home less money. They knew they were going to freeze salaries, but didn't tell us & forced us to pick benefits first, without us knowing what was coming. Pinned a memo to a notice board in break room-COWARDS! Top heavy with very well paid & compensated officers & management. For shame, for shame!
corrupt
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Racist, impartial, criminal, and complete and totally corrupt. I would never recommend nor work for this company again.
Great Company
inspector (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 1, 2015
Loved it. Too bad I made a mistake and lost it. Best inspections in the world. A lot of help and support from upper management.
Accomplishments
NDT Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 5, 2015
Working in all different types of weather conditions
Attention to surroundings
Multi-tasking
Non-destructive Testing

Most enjoyable part of the job training and becoming certified in different levels and methods of inspection.

Hardest part of the Job: walking through the pipe rack while wearing a harness and carrying inspection equipment.