Mistras Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Big company little employees
Level II every method (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT, Denver, COMay 24, 2016
This company is world wide with offices in every state in the U.S. so every office won't be the same.
It's a billion dollar company, but every office only works out of its own budget, so some offices pay better or have better equipment than others. Some states have more work than others.
The office will watch their finances first. If you aren't working, they will send you out of state to work. However if it benefits them more and you less, they'll keep you home. So you may find yourself wishing you were on a job getting 84 hours a week, but because there is 30 hours a week at home, that's where they have you.
You have no choice about your schedule, if it's busy you may work 100 hours per week, and if it's slow you may work 16. You work when and where they tell you.
They do have online training, you can advance with this company much faster than with a small one and the top end has more options to advance to. However you will advance the direction that is best for your boss and not necessarily how you want. If they need a cwi, then you might get one, or an api, but if they need an RT tech more that may be where you head, or if try need phased array or eddy current, that may be where you head. You can hire on without a degree, but you'll advance, faster and make slightly more with one.

It's a good starting place to get experience, but beyond that I personally wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Travel if no work is available locally
Cons
It's the Wal-Mart of NDT
The model of squeezing out the Middle class
Finance Group (Former Employee) –  NJMay 23, 2016
The only job I ever had where my paycheck went backwards after 3 years! They froze salaries while increasing benefits, so I brought home less money. They knew they were going to freeze salaries, but didn't tell us & forced us to pick benefits first, without us knowing what was coming. Pinned a memo to a notice board in break room-COWARDS! Top heavy with very well paid & compensated officers & management. For shame, for shame!
corrupt
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Racist, impartial, criminal, and complete and totally corrupt. I would never recommend nor work for this company again.
Great Company
inspector (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 1, 2015
Loved it. Too bad I made a mistake and lost it. Best inspections in the world. A lot of help and support from upper management.
Accomplishments
NDT Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 5, 2015
Working in all different types of weather conditions
Attention to surroundings
Multi-tasking
Non-destructive Testing

Most enjoyable part of the job training and becoming certified in different levels and methods of inspection.

Hardest part of the Job: walking through the pipe rack while wearing a harness and carrying inspection equipment.

2.5