Mitchell Grocery Corporation Employee Reviews

Meh
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALJanuary 4, 2018
It was an ok job. Just way to many hours and labor and not enough pay. when you work almost 75 hours a week on only bring home 600 its doesn't seem fair... plus you have to unload your own trailers ><
It is a grocery store, the job is what you expect.
Dairy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hueytown, ALNovember 3, 2017
It is not a bad place to work if you need a job, though there is not much room for advancement. The work pays what it is worth and for the most part it is easy work, so the pay is low.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Changing management.
Great place to shop for life, bad place to work for life, but great temp.
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2017
I loved the family oriented feeling you get working here at Comptons. Everyone is nice and works with you. There are rarely any pay raises though and not many advancments to look foward to.
Terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALAugust 14, 2017
There are several problems with this company. First of all, the management there is ineffective with absolutely no leadership capabilities whatsoever. The managers try to intimidate you to make sure that you know that they are in charge, even though they can barely do their own jobs. None of the managers have any sort of formal training in management and they definitely have favorites. Second, there is no such thing as work/life balance at this company. The way it usually goes here is if you are one of the favorites, you can get anything you want. If you are not one of the favorites, no matter how hard you work, you are expected to drop everything outside of work. You are expected to sacrifice things like family, church, etc. because you needed a job. If you ask off for anything, the managers will complain about it. Third, the pay is absolutely terrible. You start out making minimum wage with the promise of an evaluation after 90 days. This promise is rarely ever kept. If you do ask for a raise, then you are labeled by management as a complainer. Most of the people that I know have gotten raises have had to threaten to quit to get them. As far as workplace culture, everything is fine if you are one of the favorites. However, if you do something to make any of the managers mad, they will hold a grudge and make working there miserable. They will try to get back at you through the schedule, either by scheduling you to work only on nights and weekends and/or by cutting your hours. Some of them will go so far as to not even say anything to you directly, but will  more... talk about you to other employees behind your back and then lie about it if confronted.  less
Pros
Good coworkers, good customers, works around school schedules
Cons
Poor management, no work/life balance, terrible pay
Low wages & Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALAugust 8, 2017
Loved my co-workers. However, poor management and low wages made it impossible to work there. Very poor working environment, morale was low, and management had favorites. If you weren't one of the lucky ones, you got to clean the bathroom.
Terrible benefits and they barely pay you
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALJune 23, 2017
There is absolutely no room for advancement here unless you get into the Meat Department and that means just getting the knowledge on how to cut meat and then seeking employment elsewhere.

They pay only minimum wage. I was there for 2 years learning to cut meat before they increased my pay to $7.75. The hours were terrible and I felt like I was there all the time. Other places will pay upwards of $15 an hour for someone who knows how to cut meat but here the manager of the meat department was making only $10. They will not pay you what you are worth.

I really liked the people I worked with but this place is something you do during or just after high school to get some sort of job experience otherwise it's just a dead end job.
Pros
The people
Cons
Practically no benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay
Very good owners loved working here
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALJune 22, 2017
Only reason I left was had to relocate plenty of chances to advance with in company. Management is well trained and can handle any situation thrown at them
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Compensation could have been better
Mitchell grocery
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montevallo, ALMay 29, 2017
Head Store manager was very rude and did not connect with his employees. Meat department manager was very kind and willing to help his employees as much as he can
Decent pay for decent work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALApril 30, 2017
Decent place to work for. Pay is also pretty good. Other employees are mostly nice to the new employees and the supervisors are helpful when you have questions.
Pros
Nice employers
Drove forklift
Order Picker/Forklift/Pallet Jack Driver (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALApril 16, 2017
I selected items for each business order. The products we're placed on a pallet jack, wrapped, then loaded onto a truck and shipped. I had to safely operate a forklift and pallet jack.
Pros
loved my job
Cons
worked alot of overtime/ never at home

Want to know more about Mitchell Grocery Corporation?

Ask a question
nice place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALSeptember 15, 2016
Pay is a little underrated for responsibility and hours required but a great place to work great people great opportunity I really enjoyed the oprutunity to serve the company
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Not so much pay
depressing place to work, work and life balance is terrible. no raise in pay
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALJune 13, 2016
only a nickel a year rhaise once you reach your max pay. work life is way more than personal life, no time for family or enjoying the holidays at all! employees are not appreciated.
Pros
its a job
Cons
too many to list
racist and poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  florence al 35633May 29, 2016
Very racist place to work if the location is in Cloverdale. POOR mangement and has high school students in the office being over the cashiers. Don't follow their rules and lets under age employees give other under age employees permission to sell alcohol and tobacco products without licenses often. Doesn't look at cameras and take customers words over yours. Some customers are racist and rude toward black people. Don't count pans right and fires people based on false accusations. Very very poor training and chews you out when you make mistakes instead of preventing issues before you make them. Do not work here because they are very lazy when comes to helping you with anything and most customers have walked out mad.
Pros
flexible schedule
horrible place to work
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Former Employee) –  Hanceville, ALMay 20, 2016
I had worked 15 minutes of overtime during a holiday so my manager has the overtime removed. Basically he stole it. He also did the same thing to an elderly employee who was working to supplement his social security income. If you can find somewhere else to work you'll be better off. They pay minimum wage and your lucky to get a raise. My experience working there taught me that Mitchell grocery employs liars and thieves for managers. When I told senior management about the overtime incident I was treated like it was my fault. The meat market manager at the Hanceville WDG location is a liar and thief.
Pros
they work with college students schedules
Cons
they are still open for business
Terrible management with no advancement
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morgan County, ALApril 16, 2016
I helped open a brand new Foodland and was given the opportunity to work in the office as a bookkeeper and be the head cashier. They tried to work me to death for 50 cents above minimum wage, and I was the highest paid person besides management. No one would work with my college schedule, the management was rude and terrible, and the upper management didn't seem to care. I also worked 35-40 hours a week with no benefits and no chance of ever being "full time." It's a terrible company.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Literally everything else
no raises/needs better management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALMarch 19, 2016
This job has no advancement opportunities you have to be a suckup or church member in order to get hours. They promise you raises but you never recieve them. No full time opportunites they may change work scheadules without notifying you. This job is mostly for a second job or for teens.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
low pay with no increase not career opportunity
Poor Overall
Cashier and Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALFebruary 4, 2016
Managers don't know what they're doing, if you're a manager in a department, you are expected to be married to the store, but you have no real say in what goes on in your department. Store manager was hardly there, makes you question how they even have a job there, much less in management.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, small if any raises, poor work environment, no motivation
Awful place to work!
cashier (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALJanuary 6, 2016
Managers have no clue what they are doing. One manager in particular has run off many new cashiers and has had multiple complaints against her from customers but no one will do anything. Very unprofessional cashiers that leave their stations and would rather gossip than pay attention to customers. Neither employees nor managers take their job seriously. Awful place.
workis ok benefits not good
Houskeeping (Former Employee) –  Albertville, ALOctober 11, 2015
I liked working there I just had no benefits worked there for 6 years with none things were just not always as they seem. I learned a lot there about my self I can do better.
Pros
goodpeople
Cons
nobenefits
poor management/poor pay/good job/good customers
cashier (Former Employee) –  muscle shoals, alSeptember 16, 2015
The management here really do not know what they are doing and you wonder how they made it to the positions they hold. Pay does not compensate for the work that is expected and raises are rare and small. The customers are pretty good people. Mostly the employees are good but there are some that are unbearable. The overall job is great but pay could be a lot better and management and employees need to be weeded out.
Pros
good customers good enviroment
Cons
poor pay poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitchell Grocery Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5